Game time compensation for patch times?

Crowleyz

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright so let me get this straight.

You live in the EU. You are playing a game, whose servers, systems, and the company that owns and opertates it, are all based in the US. This game has bugs, and issues with it that from time to time need to be fixed, including the patch today and regularly schedule maintenance. You want them to refund you a small amount of money for the inconvienience of your prime playing time being interrupted once or twice a week for a few hours/couple of hours to fix issues with the game that effects EVERYONE. You live in the EU, the game is based in the US their scheduling is based on their time not yours. Learn to deal with it, or feel free to play a game based in Asia or some such deal.

I can almost guarentee that if what caused this second patch was happening to most of the people asking for money, they would be running here kicking and screaming about how the game is broken and FIX IT NOW. The issue needed to be fixed, and its now being dealt with, have a nice day.

Point of Order please.

This is NOT EU prime time either! It started at 8am in the UK and, at worst, 12noon in the far Eastern areas that have recently been bolted onto Europe, but are mostly parts of the former USSR...

However you cut it, these are still not Primetime for the EU...

lol that doesn't mean they shouldn't be fixing the game, just because you cant play does not mean they shouldn't fix an issue that is making many people not able to play. I myself among many many others get crash to desk, freezes etc which si what they are working on. I also have a very expensive PC so it isn't me.

You lads need to learn some patience, go do something els, walk the dog kick the cat punch out ya brother or whatever... hell go steal a car for all I care, but whatever....

Alright so let me get this straight.

You live in the EU. You are playing a game, whose servers, systems, and the company that owns and opertates it, are all based in the US. This game has bugs, and issues with it that from time to time need to be fixed, including the patch today and regularly schedule maintenance. You want them to refund you a small amount of money for the inconvienience of your prime playing time being interrupted once or twice a week for a few hours/couple of hours to fix issues with the game that effects EVERYONE. You live in the EU, the game is based in the US their scheduling is based on their time not yours. Learn to deal with it, or feel free to play a game based in Asia or some such deal.

I can almost guarentee that if what caused this second patch was happening to most of the people asking for money, they would be running here kicking and screaming about how the game is broken and FIX IT NOW. The issue needed to be fixed, and its now being dealt with, have a nice day.

this is so dumb, BW have EU servers. they can do their maintenance based on EU time but they dont.

6. Disclaimer of Warranties. EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTY ON RECORDING MEDIA (IF APPLICABLE), AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, THE SOFTWARE, THE GAME AND ALL OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY EA ARE PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS,” WITH ALL FAULTS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WITHOUT PERFORMANCE ASSURANCES OR GUARANTEES OF ANY KIND, AND YOUR USE IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE ENTIRE RISK OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE RESIDES WITH YOU. EA AND EA’S LICENCORS (COLLECTIVELY EA FOR PURPOSES OF THIS SECTION AND SECTION 7) DO NOT MAKE, AND HEREBY DISCLAIM, ANY AND ALL EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES, INCLUDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF CONDITION, UNINTERRUPTED USE, MERCHANTABILITY, SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, AND WARRANTIES (IF ANY) ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. EA AND ITS LICENSORS DO NOT WARRANT AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE SOFTWARE OR THE GAME; THAT THE SOFTWARE OR THE GAME WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS; THAT OPERATION OF THE SOFTWARE OR THE GAME WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, VIRUS-FREE OR ERROR-FREE, OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL BE COMPATIBLE WITH THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE OR THAT ANY ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR THE GAME WILL BE CORRECTED. NO ORAL OR WRITTEN ADVICE PROVIDED BY EA, ITS LICENSORS, OR ANY AUTHORIZED REPRESENTATIVE SHALL CREATE A WARRANTY. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU

Wai- wha? I'm not guaranteed the software is virus free either. Ok, that's just great, nice BioWare. Now I need to buy a copy of Norton.

I've played guild wars since beta, and still do, not only is there no sub, but there has never been one minute, ever, that the servers were down. They patch in the background, and instead of "*** Servers going down, everyone head to forums and QQ about it", we get "*** Patch applied, restart your client for new stuff."

I don't know why more gaming companies don't use this method, as it would save so much QQ'ing and give trolls less of a reason to come out from under their bridge.

I've played many mmorpgs, so I understand that the patching is necessary, I understand that this game is a baby, it's only just gone live. So yes there's going to be problems.

But, I don't understand why they would do patching on euro servers the same time as us servers. I feel bad for the euros/aussies. Patching (of Euro servers) should be done at 2/3am their time. Not ours. Granted, people would still complain, but this just makes more sense.

Anyway, I'm watching Clone Wars and reading The Walking Dead until servers are back up... Just felt like typing in troll thread.

Edited by simP_

Blizzard gave credits to accounts for days that had longer than expected maintenance. Just because their ToS states that there will be downtime, doesn't mean they can't gain some goodwill from the community by either addressing or compensating for it.

I work long days and generally get to play when I come home around 11pm PST or after midnight. While my interest in the game is waning, I still want to achieve level 50 before deciding whether to unsub or not. But time and time again I'm met with server downtime. In many cases, I know ahead of time due to postings made days prior. But in some, I end up finding out when I get home and as I log on. It's grating.

To be fair, I have other things I can do to pass the time and our EU bros have it way worse than I do, but I think some form of compensation should be offered. It doesn't have to be a month or a week, but a day or two would be nice. If not for those of us in North America, then absolutely for those on EU servers. They're getting hit the hardest because of these downtimes, however needed the maintenance may be.

Just my two cents.

This is whole thread is great fun to read, when you like me, studie european and danish law.

First: The practice with disclaimer have little meaning in Europe and especially not in Denmark. They have no real wiegth in the court. Go Europe ;)

Second: I bought the game from an online, danish webpage (I think that more or less all eurpeans buys the game from a lokal webshop og gameshop) and therefore lokal law aplies to the product, not american law.

Danish law, actually have an article that can be used in this regard, if downtime is especially high, which could be argued. I do believe that all european countries have this article, or at least they should have in some decree, because it's based on a directive from the EU counsel.

Hope this clearifies things a bit both for the americans and europeans. We do not follow the same set of rules.

Blizzard gave credits to accounts for days that had longer than expected maintenance. Just because their ToS states that there will be downtime, doesn't mean they can't gain some goodwill from the community by either addressing or compensating for it.

Blizzard's PR is pretty good, generally. I have some beef with them as a developer and their design decisions, but you can't knock their consistent forum presence and willingness to try and please their customers (which is a double-edged sword 99% of the time).

I kind of wish the forum staff would break their 'drone'-inspired, RP-ish posts and just level with us. Come off as human and passionate about the game; playing a 'role', even for the purposes of sticking to the SW universe, creates a sort of disconnect with the developers and the clientele.

This is what you agreed to. Sorry about the CAPS, that's exactly how it is written... If you didn't agree with the EULA then why did you say you did?

What you should have done is neatly repack the game, return to your retailer and obtained a refund becasue the EULA was not to you liking.

The only people in the wrong here are the people trying to renage on a contgact they made with Electronic Arts and Bioware...

Contract does not trump state and/or federal law. If a contract is found to be in violation of state and / or federal law, the contract is in part or in total void.

I'm not saying that SWTOR's EULA does violate any laws (to my knowledge it doesn't), I just hate people spreading the FUD that contradicts this principle. A simple "you agreed to it because you signed the contract" is a silly way to enter any discussion/argument about EULA's and individual rights.

Edited by KTheAlchemist

it's pretty funny when people ask for compensation because they could not play for a 4 so hours of the server being down because of they are improving the game when that time is valued at around 4 cents USD an hour...

calm down if BW doesn't mail you the quarter I will...

Edited by Zoggel
Rude + Replies

have you honestly added up the ammount of time you havent gotten to play the game due to downtimes? it isnt that much.. if you have any sort of life you can simply find something to do in the meantime. any downtime they have is to improve the game, I dont see how you can justify demanding free time for something that only makes the game better.

it would be like demanding money off of your ice cream cone becuase they put sprinkles on it...really it doesnt make sense.

Must I remind you that this game isnt WoW. and that EA/LA/BW isnt Blizzard. their business practices are/can be differnet, and thats ok. If they dont feel like we deserve free time (something that I wouldnt say no to, nor am I demanding in any way) we shouldnt complain.

I think someone worked the cost out to be like 50-70 cents a day for downtime. Are you really petty enough to demand that much back from a company?

/agreed

It's a shame they aren't willing to compensate players for unplanned game downtime but there is little we can do about it. They covered themselves in their rules and conditions and it's not like they ever care about inconveniencing the EU region anyway.

It's a shame they aren't willing to compensate players for unplanned game downtime but there is little we can do about it. They covered themselves in their rules and conditions and it's not like they ever care about inconveniencing the EU region anyway.

Sad but true...

You live in the EU. You are playing a game, whose servers, systems, and the company that owns and opertates it, are all based in the US..

No.

I live in the EU (well UK, so maybe not much longer!)

I play a game marketed in my country, sold in my £'s.

I play on a server located in IRELAND which is in the EU and it is operated by BW/EA european branch.

So no, wrong on almost all counts.

No.

I live in the EU (well UK, so maybe not much longer!)

I play a game marketed in my country, sold in my £'s.

I play on a server located in IRELAND which is in the EU and it is operated by BW/EA european branch.

So no, wrong on almost all counts.

Point is, they don't care about anyone NOT in the US.

All these companies operate the same if their HQ is based in the US.

Basically, screw everyone as long as any downtimes are minimal for the US.

Always a poor excuse too, along the lines of it not being fair to implement a patch for one zone before another. Fact that we are in different timezones doesn't seem to compute in their brains.

Of course, it IS fair to continuously allow downtime in one specific zone during the daytime, at least once a week, often more, so long as that timezone isn't in the US.

Yes I am cynical, bitter and twisted.

So sick and tired of being treated like a second class customer by these US companies operating in EU zones.

Edited by Rayva

I concur when it comes to timing!

I am an MMO veteran and i FULLY understand that bugs need to be fixed...... things upgraded etc....

But when it comes to poorly organised, badly timed, drawn out downtime just to suit when the "USA" (useless silly americans) are offline then this is unacceptable....

Now ive only been on SWTOR for 2 weeks and in that time i have been unable to play for a collective 21 hours due to downtime.

That is nearly a full day in two weeks!!

Not good enough BioWare FIX THIS ISSUE NOW BEFORE YOUR GAME FAILS!!

because in reality this is one of the best!

Look after your players and allow them to just PLAY!

thank you that is all

Morfett out..... may the force be with you!

well why cant they change the times the downtime is on the eu servers or are they not clever enought to sort that out as it be a lot better , cant be that hard to set the servers to go off line at 4 am gmt on the eu servers

well the ingame help sucks as if u send in a ticket they dont help at all as it crap a total waste of space to be honest