The 45 Year and Older Professional Club

Master-Pappy

I have tour shirts older than the vast majority of the player base. This is not a joke or exaggeration, I STILL have a tour Jersey for Megadeth from a little club from their 1983/84 tour. It's ragged, it's thread bare, dang near see through it's so thin now, and, no it doesn't fit anymore, but I still have it in a frame on my wall in my gaming room.

I predate home computers. I predate console systems. I predate CDROM games and CD's. I predate Cartridge games. I predate VHS. I dang near predate Cassettes and 8 Tracks. Most the people here won't know what an 8 track is since Wiki is down for the day, and definitely won't know why they sucked as a medium for music.

I still have the shirt from the Moving Pictures tour 80-81 (Rush) :)

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 for The Older Republic... and I kind of like the Oldspice Smugglers. If sombody does set up a guild of older generation players, I'm in. Hell I just might try to myself. Ive never ran a guild before but hell its worth a shot. If I suck at it I can just pass the torch onto somebody that knows what they are doing. Any suggestions as to a good server to use?

I think it would cool to start a guild. I would have done it myself, but think there are more qualified people out there. I would gladly join if someone were to put it together. I have no suggestion or preference on a server.

The game came out right before my birthday! Been playing video games since Pong, like some others here, and the good old days of that and then the Atari 2600. Saw Star Wars in 1977. Also a big costuming nerd - Revan armor FTW! So I can geek out with the young whipper-snappers with only my crow's feet to betray me. ;)

I totally love the idea of a Guild called The Older Republic.

30 Y/O Professional Audio/Technical Director here! Finding time to play is hard when you work 50 hours a week!

I was glad to see this post. I get tired of the guff that older players get. It's fun. Get over it world!

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

18 years in the Infantry in the U.S. Army I chuckle when my group leader is a quater of my age bossing me around but if they know what to do in the situation they are worth their salt. It's funny when you talk about "The Old Republic" on the range it is just hard for 18-19 year olds to picture "Sarge" (if they called me that I would crush them, haha) gamming on.

Every once in a while it dawns on me that I am teaming with folks that weren't even born when I bought the socks I am wearing. I know this as I often team with my three sons. As a 47 year-old professional who leads a multi-million dollar project for a large corporation, I am sure that many of my co-workers would be shocked if they knew that when I get home I log on to SWTOR and pretend that I am a Master Jedi for 2-3 hours. Not that it bothers me. It keeps me young in mind and heart.

It got me to thinking, "How many others out there are like me?" I'm sure I'm not the oldest player out there. So, if you fall into the geriatric crowd within SWTOR, give a shout out with your age and profession. It will be cool to know who is out there.

I don't fit in this club, I'm only 22, but I just wanted to say that you are not alone; Most of the people who work in the gaming industry sit in exactly the same spot as you. :p

Keep at it! That's where I'll be eventually. ^__^

44 year old pharmacsts. Been playing multi-player online games since the late '90s. Started with text-based role-playing games (Gemstone III, anyone?), but switched to video games when Everquest came out.

My 43 year old brother (who is a medical technologist) and his wife also play. They've been living several states away since my brother graduated college, and online gaming has been a nice way for us to keep gaming together.

48 with 20 years of law enforcement/military and now working in media field.

I have 3 sons ages 13 - 21. We all play together. Rather nice running about with my boys in game no matter what the distance is in real life.

We all love the movies and I even have a gaming group of like minded people that gather and plays Star Wars d6 system once a week. Yes people that is paper, pencil and dice!

Hehe, I'm 43 now and raised with the original classic Star Wars trilogy in movie theaters. Nothing digital, only THX sound later (lol) wich was a major breakthrough that time. Now I enjoy the movies with my home cinema surround system and it still gives me jolly shivers.

I played video games on my Amiga PC back in the 80's but then went to UNiversity to study and later work kept me from gaming for a long time. Returned to it in the late 90's and was amazed about the progress (Baldur's Gate for example).

So far I own almost every Star Wars game for PC and still playing them from time to time since some still have a great atmosphere and story.

I'm 41, female, and been playing multi-user games since before the internet ;p Started with MUD's and bulletin boards on a 1200/75 dial-up modem.

First MMORPG was EQ when it came out. Played that, then EQ2, WAR, Rift, LOTRO, even tried WoW when I got desperate but the community drove me to distraction - thank god I had a guild to join so I could turn off the general chat channels! At the height of my MMO gaming I was co-running a raiding guild that was based on a US server in EQ2 with my husband and I wasn't quite sure of the definition of a good night's sleep (raids starting at 1-2am my time anyone? URGH!)

Work from home as a Product Manager for a Software company, and also manage to make it to the gym 5 times a week, as well as having a level capped character, and I'm not quite sure where I find the time!

Currently part of a gaming community that doesn't let anyone under 16 in, and the average age is more around the 30 mark, so it's a fun place to be :)

Edited by Ashleya

Awesome thread! 35, IT consulting business owner. Saw "A New Hope" through my bellybutton window in '77, and played my ESB/ROTJ toys into dust. Been gaming since the Atari 2600 days, nearly crapped myself when I saw the display for Dark Forces back in '95 (and nearly flunked out of college playing it instead of going to class), and now I'm playing my first MMO!

Awesome thread I'm going to be 21 in five days and its cool to see and older gen still keeping their interests in gaming alive. My dad is 46 and he doesn't game at all. He just mainly works out and works 12 hours a day at most. Him being a supervisor for environmental services at the hospital really is an important and stressful job. Making sure patients have clean rooms and the that the hospital looks presentable. I want to pursue voice acting. I really want to lend my voice to Funimation and voice in anime and of course in video games. Film would be amazing too voicing a transformer or something bad *** along those lines. I just wish my dad would game with me. My friends dad does i'm quite envious of them. But in the end i'm proud of what my dad does. When i have children i hope i have time to game and play with them.

Hi -I'm 40, a network engineer, married, etc.

I'm a closet Star Wars junky -- I saw the original movie in the theater before it was "A New Hope". I'm a semi-MMO'er; I MUDed in the 90's, played Everquest for a short bit, Guild Wars in the 2000sies. I missed Star Wars Galaxies, thankfully, but I'm all over SWTOR.

My big question is: Where's the guild for us older folks?

Im a 41 years old Project manager......

Love this game :)

btw my co-workers are fully aware of my passion for mmos......

I've got nothing to hide and neither should you :)

Edited by zidor

Like your topic, I won't qualify for the club tough as I am 37 going on 38 this year.

But reading this tread reminds me of the first two years playing EVE online.

I joined a corporation (guild) named Old Farts, they consisted of 30+ players and boy did I have fun with them :D

The nature of EVE kind of witheld younger players tough.

It warms my heart to read there are people playing way older then I am and I'd like to look at them as my mentors ;)

Thanks for being out there!!

I'm a 48 year old software development team lead. I've developing software for longer than most of my fellow SWTOR players have been alive.

Our guild has quite a few older folks and quite a lot of younger ones too. I know we have a 47 year old lawyer also.