Game virtually unplayable now, can't even tell when my cooldowns are on properly.

SunwindIon

i believe this is why it was changed in the first place

we need a combination of both. black out ability's on cooldown the way it was before, but don't black out any available in GCD that are not on cooldown. (hope that makes sense)

Makes plenty of sense to me. I would prefer this compromise to both the new and old system actually.

As a Jedi Guardian it's nice to be able to see when my proc abilities are available during GCD - I don't mind that change. But at the same time I also need those skills that are on their own seperate cooldowns to be properly greyed out so I can clearly see when they're still on cooldown and when they're not.

With the blue-on-blue color scheme the current system makes it really hard to see the skill-specific cooldowns with my peripheral vision simply due to the lack of contrast in color between the skills and the cooldown bar. Longer cooldowns are even worse as the cooldown bar moves a lot slower and becomes an almost unnoticeable sliver once it gets to the bottom of the icon, which means it's hard to see even if I'm staring at the skillbar full-on.

The GCD I don't mind staying as it is right now, because the cooldown indicator moves really fast and it affects almost the entire skillbar. There is almost no way I can miss the GCD.

It's the regular skill cooldowns that I'm having trouble with and those are the ones I'd like to see changed back to the way they were.

Especially Jedi Guardians and Sentinels need way more contrast for this system to work. Blue-on-blue just doesn't work out very well no matter how sharp your eyesight is.

Edited by Amarinth

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can people not see them, it's plain as day. I'm an old man and i can see them.

Obviously you dont pvp much, becasue in an environment where a second or 2 or even half a second can make or break you this UI change is flat out unacceptable.

It's not that people cant see the cool down line moving down your icon. The problem, which has been stated repeatedly and which people cant seem to read and or comprehend what they read, ist that on many ablilities that have cool downs over 10 or 12 seconds when the ability is nearing the end of cooldown there is only a tiny, thin sliver of cool down line left that is almost impossible to see without having to really stare at it. Depending on the length of the cool down on your spell that near invisible last little bit of line left can sit there for 2 to 10 seconds.

Now when your in pvp, and even pve situations where timing is vital (like for tank defensive cooldowns) and every second is precious this is a very frustrating and needless issue. When you spend precious seconds trying to activate an ability that is still on cool down but you cant tell it sucks because you could have spent that time activating something else. Again this may sound trivial but if you pvp a lot, or tank a lot then you'd know just how bad this is.

Please at least change it back to the way it was before untill you can fix it properlyl. Right now the cooldown notification system is garbage.

Edited by Talonvore

I actually quite like the new way. There's no confusion for me when things are off cooldown, and it let's me know skills are ready in preparation for my next GCD.

Protip: Watch the icon during a GCD. If the greyed out "line" is moving slowly, then it won't be off in time for your next use. But if the "line" is moving quickly at the 1.5 sec speed (the same speed as your basic skill and any other skills off CD), then it will be ready.

Besides... even if you're not paying attention you'd only miss at most one GCD if you press an on-CD skill by accident.

Edited by Sai-to

Could they just keep it the same as current implementation but either

a) Allow the cooldown to be shown as an overlayed number

or

b) Overlay a small red dot (with white outline) on the top right corner of an ability that is still on cooldown

Edited by Torquist

I actually quite like the new way. There's no confusion for me when things are off cooldown, and it let's me know skills are ready in preparation for my next GCD.

Protip: Watch the icon during a GCD. If the greyed out "line" is moving slowly, then it won't be off in time for your next use. But if the "line" is moving quickly at the 1.5 sec speed (the same speed as your basic skill and any other skills off CD), then it will be ready.

Besides... even if you're not paying attention you'd only miss at most one GCD if you press an on-CD skill by accident.

I don't think you understand the problem. It's not with short cool down abilities, it's with 30+ second abilities. It is impossible to see the grey line in the lower 10th of the button. There isn't an argument here, because there are literally not enough pixels to represent how many seconds remain on a long cool down.

I don't think you understand the problem. It's not with short cool down abilities, it's with 30+ second abilities. It is impossible to see the grey line in the lower 10th of the button. There isn't an argument here, because there are literally not enough pixels to represent how many seconds remain on a long cool down.

You're not understanding the solution. ;)

You need to watch during the GCD. If the bar isn't moving from all the way to the top to all the way to the bottom during that 1.5 seconds, then the skill isn't ready.

If the skill is still on CD, but prereqs are met, it will be lighted, but the grey bar will not move from top to bottom during the GCD. If it is off cooldown (or will be in time for your next GCD), then it will move from top to bottom.

You need to watch during the GCD. If the bar isn't moving from all the way to the top to all the way to the bottom during that 1.5 seconds, then the skill isn't ready.

If the skill is still on CD, but prereqs are met, it will be lighted, but the grey bar will not move from top to bottom during the GCD. If it is off cooldown (or will be in time for your next GCD), then it will move from top to bottom.

I wish you could see me sitting here behind the monitor as I pull my last strands of hair out. :p

Let's take a skill everyone has: the "PvP trinket" ability that frees you from snares.

Okay, it's on a 120 second cooldown. I pop it to free myself and start running around killing PCs during Huttball. About 100 seconds later I'm standing near a fire trap near the opposing team's end zone. Someone throws me the ball. I make a decision based on what cooldowns are up whether I should jump down or continue forward through the trap. Well, I look at my "PvP trinket" ability and it's fully lit and I can't SEE any evidence that the overlay bar is present--not like it matters, it would be about a pixel high anyway.

So I start running forward and I get snared. I instinctively start mashing my keyboard to fire off the "PvP trinket" since I'm now in the middle of a fire trap and stunned. Oh no! It turns out that there was 5 seconds left on the cool down and I die. Now had I been able to see it like before this last patch, I would have either thrown to another player or jumped to the lower catwalk and bought some more time in order to give the ability time to cool down.

Lengthy, but true and frequent problem I have not only in PvP but PvE--which is more forgiving with this issue by the way.

Edited by Traumahawk

Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller

We hear your feedback and are working on adjustments to increase the readability of the cooldown UI in an upcoming patch.

-- Georg

Even if two thirds of our players claimed it doesn't happen, we still fix it. Serious problems don't require a majority vote to get addressed. -Georg Zoeller

Still confused?

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

I also have a hard time seeing when my longer CD's are ready. I liked it better the way it was but I am sure they will fix it soon. Anyone who is unhappy has a point but this thread feels a little melodramatic to me.

Melodramatic or not, Mr. Zoeller has a post in this thread saying he hears our feedback. So don't dis the thread! :)

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

I think its a bug, and not an intentional change, if it was intentional, then fire whomever made that decision.

Any spell with a 3 minute cool down results in you trying to spam it to get it to work for the last 30 seconds or so, it appears to be ready when it really aint.

This got my team killed todsay

Tanking perspective problem:

Tanking boss or even "pack o'mobs:" DPS player gets aggro, I target mob and immediately see that taunt appears to be "off" global cooldown. I smack taunt, nothing happens, smack taunt again, nothing happens, smack taunt again, finally, after about... oh... 1.5 seconds, taunt goes off, because it had a little less than 2 seconds on it's cooldown, which was absolutely not apparent on immediate view. Because I lost 1.5 seconds smacking taunt 3 times, I lost a full GCD period in which I could have used another ability for a little more damage. Multiply this by the number of times it might happen in a fight and my tiny little Jugg tank DPS drops even more... and we hit the enrage timer...

All because of a very, very poor lack of readability in something that was generally working JUST FINE previously.

Thanks, it's a stealth nerf to my already pathetic tanking dps. ;p

I also have a hard time seeing when my longer CD's are ready. I liked it better the way it was but I am sure they will fix it soon. Anyone who is unhappy has a point but this thread feels a little melodramatic to me.

I think it's fair enough to complain when they make a much, much worse problem "fixing" something else.

Really this should be rolled back until the sort something out, it may be months (if ever) before they get around to fixing this problem, which is much more of a problem than how it was before.

The problem this "fixed", wasn't much of a problem at all, no being able to tell when your ability is off CD is a massive problem all of the time for some classes.

I like that I can see when High Impact Bolt is available, but dislike that all my abilities seem ready when they arent. I'm assuming the change was, at least partially, made to help you see when an ability procs. For those types of situations I would rather have the ability's button border glow yellow. Even better would be to have an icon popup overhead like Power Auras(WoW) did or a proc toolbar like Rift had.

It's probably been said already but yes it is difficult to tell when a cd is ready or almost ready, because the color of the overlay? Is that the right word? Is the same as the ui color. Which is nice in a matchy-matchy, aesthetic way but hard for me to distinguish. Keep tryin :D