Battle for Ilum Fails as Predicted

MDONINESIX

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero wrong with the concept, everything wrong with the factional split.

And until such time as people start to realise that playing Imperial isn't "where the cools kids go" it just isn't going to get better.

Unfortunately it's as much an age thing as anything else; not flaming, just looking at 8 years of Star wars MMO history. Younger (i.e. under 25) players tend to be drawn to playing Imperial characters, whilst the older players are drawn to Republic (Rebel).

Take into account that younger people are more likely to play games and you lead yourself neatly into a situation where Imperial will always outnumber Republic.

Lastly, the younger player will tend to aim to max out level much sooner than the older player; we're getting on in years and everything takes a bit longer... :p:o This means that there are already a lot more L50 Imps than there are Republics, though this may even out over the coming weeks.

The first thing we did when we logged on to the game was test out the new Ilum changes. Unfortunately, we have all come to an agreement that the changes are for the worse.

- gamezone

This troubles me a great deal. :(

Haven't gotten back to play the game since the patch but the news coming in from players seems a bit grim. I know they are trying to improve and spice up the game, but there are some things that should just be left alone unless you REALLY have a winning idea on how to make it work.

There all also a few other things that really needed more attention.

- DH

Why would they even let Mythic handle the pvp? They already failed big time with Warhammer Online.

Illum is such a massive dissapointment.

Ummm no they didn't. If it's such a failure then why am I unsubbing to this game and resubbing to warhammer? That's the ONLY mmo I want to play. everything else is boring and limited because its free.

Oh god... I didn't exactly have high hopes for the changes, but I'm sorry to say this has turned out even worse than I thought lol.

No skill, no tactics, no challenge.

He who has most players, wins.

PvP is always scissors paper rock and balance. Your complaint has no logical solution. You say the group with larger numbers wins...should one group be made more powerful? If republic players were given more power to account for the loss of numbers, then the forum complaints about balance would be deafening.

Sure, a slightly smaller group with better tactics and better players will do better. But if the numbers are 4 to 1 against, even the best PvPers would be hard pressed to make a solid showing. The fault is more with the players all choosing imp side and choosing giant zergball formation. Hardly BW's fault.

Wait, wait, just wait ...

Are you guys and gals blaming Bioware for faction population imbalance? How in the hell is it their fault for the majority of people selecting "Empire" at the faction selection screen?

Where's the common sense here?

There will always be imbalance in a game where you can choose factions, thats why they need to use a smart system if they want pvp zones. The current system clearly is not working.

Wait, wait, just wait ...

Are you guys and gals blaming Bioware for faction population imbalance? How in the hell is it their fault for the majority of people selecting "Empire" at the faction selection screen?

Where's the common sense here?

Certainly Bioware had nothing to do with the design and performance of the classes, which lead to the imbalance.

Common sense indeed.

It's just as described above. 30 sith camp republic's base and we get slaughtered. I've been there for an hour and despite getting grouped up nothing changes.

Just finished my daily as a Imperial it took less then 1 hour. We dominated the few Republic that showed up and camped their base so we could farm them as they respawned. We had 2 full parties of 16 players and still had about 8 Imperial players that didn't group with us that just farmed the middle for the spawns that do appear occasionally. No meaningful pvp took place, just a zergfest as we dominated the opposition.

There's just too many Imperial players, speaking of course from my POV on "Prophecy of the Five" where my Jedi Knight is zerged to no end on Illum. Just try to exit the Republic base and you will be met by a pack of bored Imperials looking to kill anything that's red. I've made the following suggestion in the PVP forums but i will post it here too in hopes some dev may see it. Feel free to comment and/or constructively build upon the idea:

To be honest this same imbalance issue happens in every faction based mmo (see Aion for one of the worst implementations). A better solution would be to make open warfare worlds cross-server with a population cap on each faction. You would queue up (solo or group) just like warzones and be zoned in when enough people join an open warfare instance. Obviously there needs to be multiple instances to accommodate the population and different open world scenarios for whatever the situations the devs want to address (I'm referring to too many of one faction queued, ala hutt-ball style), but this would solve most of the issues about faction population. When there is an opening available (eg: someone leaves or is disconnected) before the objective(s) has/have been reached, new players would be pulled from the queue.

Just my 2 cents,

-Tenken

Zero wrong with the concept, everything wrong with the factional split.

And until such time as people start to realise that playing Imperial isn't "where the cools kids go" it just isn't going to get better.

Unfortunately it's as much an age thing as anything else; not flaming, just looking at 8 years of Star wars MMO history. Younger (i.e. under 25) players tend to be drawn to playing Imperial characters, whilst the older players are drawn to Republic (Rebel).

Take into account that younger people are more likely to play games and you lead yourself neatly into a situation where Imperial will always outnumber Republic.

Lastly, the younger player will tend to aim to max out level much sooner than the older player; we're getting on in years and everything takes a bit longer... :p:o This means that there are already a lot more L50 Imps than there are Republics, though this may even out over the coming weeks.

This post is a perfectly good example of speaking from your rear.

Just finished my daily as a Imperial it took less then 1 hour. We dominated the few Republic that showed up and camped their base so we could farm them as they respawned. We had 2 full parties of 16 players and still had about 8 Imperial players that didn't group with us that just farmed the middle for the spawns that do appear occasionally. No meaningful pvp took place, just a zergfest as we dominated the opposition.

I bet you folks felt like accomplished heros too didn't you?

It is this kind of mindset and behavior that is the problem. No self control, no sense of play, just gank, corpse camp, and brag about it.

IF imperials actually want balanced open world PvP, make a sport out of it, not a gank fest and corpse camp. No imagination.

It is this kind of mindset and behavior that is the problem. No self control, no sense of play, just gank, corpse camp, and brag about it.

IF imperials actually want balanced open world PvP, make a sport out of it, not a gank fest and corpse camp. No imagination.

Yet if the Republic were in the same situation they would do the same exact thing. Please remove yourself from your high horse.

The Horde pulled the same crap in WoW that you're trying to here and even though I played Horde it still irked me.

I lol'd

I'm at work and haven't been able to log in yet. If things are as they being posted maybe just disable the Trauma debuff on the Repulic side where there is a faction imbalance.

Have to check it out tonight and see how it goes.

Ultimately we all know the Republic wins the war, yes it may be 3000 years in the future but the Republic will one day win. So stay strong Republic players, your day is coming to win.

The republic is pretty much the underdog in the lore as well. Bioware really needs to try and tie that into the game somehow by making incentive to play Republic. Will it be unfair? Probably yes but having 3 to 1 odds against you is unfair too.

Edited by solidkjames

As predicted, Ilum will alienate the PvP community. Reps won't be stepping upon Ilum territory anymore in 2 days, and Imps won't be able to complete dailies for absence of enemies.

It is beyond my comprehension how developers cannot understand the simple mechanics of PvP.

And what happens when we are all rank 65 and full geared? What will be the purpose to go to Ilum?

This patch is ridiculous.

I may be completely off base here.. But why not make Ilum like smuglers den? If you're not grouped you're an enemy.

I'm sure this would create a whole new set of problems, but it may in turn relieve the faction imbalance.

Yet if the Republic were in the same situation they would do the same exact thing. Please remove yourself from your high horse.

The Horde pulled the same crap in WoW that you're trying to here and even though I played Horde it still irked me.

Hmmm.. well if everyone does it, then it's not actually a problem then is it. :p

What a silly counter argument for you to make. Billy killed Jimmy, so I killed Rodger....:rolleyes:

Bioware Want ilum to work as intended get rid of it and make it a Cross-server pvp Zone and also a little more creativity on objectives, like the post before mine are correct theirs gonna be a zerg kill fest right now.

or for my server which republic dominant their just standing in the mid waiting ,waiting,waiting,and more waiting,and more waiting to have at least an empire character show up to kill and scare em off and let the waiting continue.Also forgot to mention their characters who havent reach or even still dont know how ilum used to work that progression pvp wise their struggling to ccatch up to some of us and will eventually scare em off from pvp.

Just heads up of how your failness is pushing this zone to other players.

There is only one real way to fix the Ilum issue:

Make it instanced up to 40 v 40 warzone. Also cap amount of players if imbalance ie. no 40 v 10 games, make it equal.

There, now imps will have a massive wait to PvP there and Pubs get insta ques.

This will force Imps who want to PvP to re-roll republic or play huttball 99% time while waiting 15+ mins per game (and then facing same geared premades over and over for quick losses that yeild next to no reward).

I may be completely off base here.. But why not make Ilum like smuglers den? If you're not grouped you're an enemy.

I'm sure this would create a whole new set of problems, but it may in turn relieve the faction imbalance.

I remember thinking it should be like that when i rolled my first sith warrior on the starting planet.