Dear BioWare, if you don't want us to be able to choose what we say...

Topster

Completely agree.

The paraphrasing is a pain in this game, with what you answer being only very vaguely linked to what is written on the conversation wheel.

It's REALLY bad, and makes it a pain to find the actual answer you want to give.

And the annoying part is, it's not the first time Bioware is called on about the paraphrasing. It's one of the most reccurent topic, but they seem to never learn...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a means of saving money during the voiced conversations. Where possible they'll reuse a voiced line they've already recorded.

The text basically indicates the original intent of the dialogue.

You can see budgetry limitations all the way through the voiced conversations if you're paying attention - like three gambits that will all give the same response from the NPC.

Pretty much nails it, I'd wager.

Maybe I'm an killjoy, but I still don't understand why we can't see exactly what the next line our character is going to say.

Just like playing Mass Effect I have to redo conversations because the option I selected bares no resemblance to what I actually said. Deus Ex Human Revolution managed to show you exactly what your going to say when you moused over an option. I also don't understand why there are options like "Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah" which when selected my character just says "Yawn" or "Boring". The spoken line is more then short enough to be the actual bloody option on the wheel :mad:.

nah, I'm with you, it's lazy and stupid and unforgivable to me as a gamer to be insulted with a semblance of choices but not really having any (because the ones I do make are not mine, there's not enough option/variety for it, games 10+ years ago had no problem achieving such depth, it just shows that BW made a crappy game.)

signed, seconded and supported....

Agree with far too many of the points here to start naming my personal gripes... but it really needs sorting out...

And if we must endure the mass effect dialogue wheel, would it be too much to hope for some unlockable "light side only" "dark side only" options like you get in the ME series?

I've put effort into getting my LS/DS score up, let it count for something... give me the standard choices and a bonus option to bully someone because im that evil, or let me give them the moral pep talk they so desperately need because I'm a goody little two shoes...

I like the fact the character's not going to just spout out the line you already read. It would become boring and repetitive real fast. It's fun to me to select an option and wonder what you are going to hear. The consequences of selecting the "wrong" one are so minor it's not even funny. The ones that make a difference, i.e. "light" vs "dark" are clearly marked for you before you select them. Maybe this thread has so far been a collection of people who don't get that.

Honestly, who would even want to hear again what you just read???? It's mind-boggling. What players whine about these days . . . Pretty soon the way the characters lips move is going to be a major point of contention. Just wait and see.

I like the fact the character's not going to just spout out the line you already read. It would become boring and repetitive real fast. It's fun to me to select an option and wonder what you are going to hear. The consequences of selecting the "wrong" one are so minor it's not even funny. The ones that make a difference, i.e. "light" vs "dark" are clearly marked for you before you select them. Maybe this thread has so far been a collection of people who don't get that.

Honestly, who would even want to hear again what you just read???? It's mind-boggling. What players whine about these days . . . Pretty soon the way the characters lips move is going to be a major point of contention. Just wait and see.

it's mind boggling to me that I click an option of what I want to say and what comes out of my mouth is no where near what I read/wanted to say...it's mind boggling you don't understand that view....I understand that you don't have that view, but to be mind-boggled that others hold the view...really? have you never played a game before in your life?.....games have been doing it for many years: you choose what you say based on how you want your character to be, and it is the RESPONSE/reaction that is affected/affects the game/story and is the 'fun' part of the dialogue options you are talking about enjoying on the PC side.

It's a means of saving money during the voiced conversations. Where possible they'll reuse a voiced line they've already recorded.

The text basically indicates the original intent of the dialogue.

You can see budgetry limitations all the way through the voiced conversations if you're paying attention - like three gambits that will all give the same response from the NPC.

This is just plain wrong, it was the same with mass effect and their other games, it's simply the thought behind what you are going to say.

Completely agree.

The paraphrasing is a pain in this game, with what you answer being only very vaguely linked to what is written on the conversation wheel.

It's REALLY bad, and makes it a pain to find the actual answer you want to give.

And the annoying part is, it's not the first time Bioware is called on about the paraphrasing. It's one of the most reccurent topic, but they seem to never learn...

For people that can't understand the basic logic of it it's a reoccuring topic. For some of us it makes perfect sense.

I actually wanted to make a thread about it myself. It's a little annoying.

There are a couple of examples that I remember a little, like:

I choose the option to say "You are from SIS, right?"

And my character says "I think I know what you mean"

Really? He knows? I know? I didn't actually use a word "SIS" or "I know you are from special forces" at all. Just "I know what you mean". And this just creates so many misunderstandings.

There are sooooo many of other conversation choices that I found to be completely different from what I chose. It's a pitty, really, but I guess its not exactly a breeze to write all these lines.

Still, feel free to change some at some point.

It hasn't happened often and it also happened in the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games but I've sometimes read a response and thought it meant something completely different to how the character replied. I can't think of any actual examples off-hand but there was one where the response read that I was chastising them in a "you should have known better" way but it ended up my character saying something more like, "That's so sad, how can I help?".

It's not so bad though because you can just hit the ESC key and start again in most cases.

Edited by Palathas

If my Imperial Agent says, "I'll be stained with blood from head to toe" one more time...or, "Sounds trivial enough, I'll handle it", or "I'll show you how Intelligence handles things"

I mean, another 30 minutes in the sound booth saying 20 more lines would have gone light years in making the game better imo.

Redundant lines off the top of my head

I break beasts necks in my sleep.

Murder and mayhem await!

I didn't even break a sweat!

Just show me where the fun is.

There won't be a heart left beating.

I can absolutely do that.

I cringe when I get these, particularly the beasts and the hearts >.>

It's not so bad though because you can just hit the ESC key and start again in most cases.

which is just GREAT for story-immersion (sarcasm), one of the key selling points of this game...

you also say 'in most cases'...which means not always, like the crucial times when the dialogue abruptly ends and I'm sitting there going "OMG, I did NOT just do that, this game is forcing my hand to play a way I don't want to"...it's really not fun for some of us, it's fine if others don't mind it, but it's a very valid thing to dislike. it's like a default topping being mustard, but you HATE mustard and so you ask for no mustard (and they say "no problem"), and they give you mustard, and you FLIP OUT, and I'm like "dude, it's just mustard", and you're like "DUDE, it's frikken mustard, no frikken way I'm getting near that burger with a 10 ft. pole" and I'm like "dude, look, just scrape it off", and you are like "dude, you just don't get it." This game pretends to say "we'll make the sandwich your way any toppings you want", and then they make the burger with mustard and realize after the fact and so they just scrape it off and hand it to you like it is what they said they'd give you.

got it, dude?

all the "dude"s are as an example of how annoying repetitive dialogue can be, and you're just reading it, not hearing my poorly-acted voice say it OVER and OVER and OVER and not be able to get away from it ("murder and mayhem await")

which is just GREAT for story-immersion (sarcasm), one of the key selling points of this game...

you also say 'in most cases'...which means not always, like the crucial times when the dialogue abruptly ends and I'm sitting there going "OMG, I did NOT just do that, this game is forcing my hand to play a way I don't want to"...it's really not fun for some of us, it's fine if others don't mind it, but it's a very valid thing to dislike. it's like a default topping being mustard, but you HATE mustard and so you ask for no mustard (and they say "no problem"), and they give you mustard, and you FLIP OUT, and I'm like "dude, it's just mustard", and you're like "DUDE, it's frikken mustard, no frikken way I'm getting near that burger with a 10 ft. pole" and I'm like "dude, look, just scrape it off", and you are like "dude, you just don't get it." This game pretends to say "we'll make the sandwich your way any toppings you want", and then they make the burger with mustard and realize after the fact and so they just scrape it off and hand it to you like it is what they said they'd give you.

got it, dude?

all the "dude"s are as an example of how annoying repetitive dialogue can be, and you're just reading it, not hearing my poorly-acted voice say it OVER and OVER and OVER and not be able to get away from it ("murder and mayhem await")

Weird analogy....but I suppose it applies

By the way, I'd like to keep this bumped until this gets addressed. Because when I brought this same thing up in the DA2 forums all I got was a snarky comment by Stanley Woo

I asked in beta...still no response, wouldn't really expect one, but it would be nice to know why they decided to do it this way . I figure the answer to the "why?" questions for this game are ultimately coming down to "because they suck at making games and don't care."

I asked in beta...still no response, wouldn't really expect one, but it would be nice to know why they decided to do it this way . I figure the answer to the "why?" questions for this game are ultimately coming down to "because they suck at making games and don't care."

I know this isn't the case. They did give us KotOR after all, so I will be optimistic and suspect that the reason is supreme laziness.

Unless EA had all the original staff of BW executed and replaced with replicants who despise humanity. Also an optimistic suspicion.

All the recent BW games are the same in this way: DA, ME, etc. Doubt this will be changed. I think the reason is that the dialogue is much more expansive than the ring can display, and they don't want to clutter the interface with a full transcript of what you are going to say, only to have you sit there and then listen to what you just read.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.