A Response to James Ohlen

CharagonIGN

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in my fourties and am a gamer, so are the vast majority of my friends. So I think the Developers are pretty representative of gamers.

The things the OP is complaining about are in most part preferrences rather than necessities. Macros and configurable UIs for instance. As for the LFG tool, well heaven forbid you should actually have to talk to someone.

The two things that are different are that us 40 somethings don't waste our time bleating about how the crutches MMO players have had to use over the last few years aren't in this game.

The second is that we don't expect the world to revolve around our personal opinion.

Well, for one, that's some conclusion based on you and your friends (so was the original though). LFG tools can help to reduce time spent spamming channels or "friends" to do a quest, not seeing them as a crutch or a tool for anti-social people. Macros and the UIs being configurable, well, I'm not sure why those aren't in, almost standard things for MMORPGs (the UI in this game has some problems as well).

So I guess TOR is some sort of hardcore MMOG, heh.

I'm just from another world, I guess.

I'm an old schooler from the arcade days, all the way back to Pong and Space Invaders and the first vector games that hit the market like Asteroids, Battlezone and so forth. I'd spend weekend days at the arcade and I remember days where I'd drop $20 into Super Sprint just to play it over and over and get up through all 5 levels of turbo, traction and speed, and once I had my supercar, beating the crap out of everything else on the tracks, then the "doom race" would appear and this super car out of nowhere would blow everyone else away and beat everyone, or alternatively, the game would actually RESET itself and force you to play it all over again, as you'd lose all your powerups and whatnot.

We didn't scream that the machine just "stole our money" and that there was a breach of contract going on, calling our lawyers and getting all anxious. We pounded the steering wheel once or twice and inserted a new quarter.

These games all had issues. In the thick of battle, you'd be spamming buttons and sometimes they wouldn't respond properly just because of the mechanics. Half the time you'd just insert another coin to continue, half the time you'd say "Bah!" and go play another game for a little bit.

You'd find arcade games that would come out that still only had a 4-way movement mechanic rather than 8-way or 360-degree joysticks, even though the other tech already existed, but that was how the game was set up, so you'd play it.

There was no writing to the companies and complaining, telling them you wouldn't play their game anymore. There was no arguing with them that their control sticks didn't move properly and how could they release a game with 4-way movement when other games already had 8-way and more?

We didn't stand around the arcade telling other players "Don't play this, this game sucks" unless it was actually a broken machine and was just eating quarters or something.

We didn't have damage meters, we didn't have add-ons that we could plug into the game and the like. We learned how to play the games by practicing, and playing them over and over again.

Some of the kids around here just don't know how good they've got it.

If you think this game is broken, or in beta, or shouldn't have been launched, I'm sorry, but you really aren't credible... at all.

The game has been fine so far, and that's with 4 different alts leveling up through both the Republic and Imperial sides.

If you can't play the game for some reason, and it isn't a hardware issue on your end, then I'd try looking in the mirror to see why you can't play it. Why can't you heal your companions without nifty macros and add-on programs? Sure, there will be misfires every now and then where I get stuck on a player when I'm trying to damage the boss, or I'm stuck on a boss when I'm trying to heal a player, but it's just a mistake, and you figure it out, and you move on. You don't need helper apps and little magic elves to help you. You need to learn how to become a better player.

If there's an ability delay problem, which the developers have already acknowledged and said they're looking into, even though it might take some tinkering under the hood with the basic engine itself, then figure out how the ability delay affects the characters. Someone responded to me earlier and said it doesn't affect all classes equally, and hurts the instant casters more than those with longer delay timers. If that's the case, then REROLL a new character with more timed casts so you can play the game and work around the delay.

TL;DR...

Work AROUND the problems and play the game, or else just go. Say your peace, give your feedback, and just go away. The exclamations of "broken" and "shouldn't have launched" are just over the top garbage.

Plenty of people, hundreds of thousands of them, are playing the game you say is "unplayable".

People are thankful that they can play the game you swear "shouldn't have been launched".

People are using the auctions every day to find things you say can't be found. People are using the auctions every day to sell items you say can't be sold.

People are using the existing UI to play the game, defeat bosses and world bosses, and heal their companions in ways you say are impossible without all your handy dandy add-ons and mods.

People are PVPing and getting up to high Valor rankings with a "broken" system.

Yes, the developers have work to do, and they've said as much.

Some of you have work to do as well, learning how to play the game. Learning what mistakes not to make, instead of wishing you had some add-on that would minimize the mistakes you keep making.

Get to it, or leave your feedback and just go.

All of the QQ is just ridiculous.

That said, we now return you to your regularly scheduled QQ, already in progress...

Edited by Kubernetic

I'm an old schooler from the arcade days, all the way back to Pong and Space Invaders and the first vector games that hit the market like Asteroids, Battlezone and so forth. I'd spend weekend days at the arcade and I remember days where I'd drop $20 into Super Sprint just to play it over and over and get up through all 5 levels of turbo, traction and speed, and once I had my supercar, beating the crap out of everything else on the tracks, then the "doom race" would appear and this super car out of nowhere would blow everyone else away and beat everyone, or alternatively, the game would actually RESET itself and force you to play it all over again, as you'd lose all your powerups and whatnot.

We didn't scream that the machine just "stole our money" and that there was a breach of contract going on, calling our lawyers and getting all anxious. We pounded the steering wheel once or twice and inserted a new quarter.

These games all had issues. In the thick of battle, you'd be spamming buttons and sometimes they wouldn't respond properly just because of the mechanics. Half the time you'd just insert another coin to continue, half the time you'd say "Bah!" and go play another game for a little bit.

You'd find arcade games that would come out that still only had a 4-way movement mechanic rather than 8-way or 360-degree joysticks, even though the other tech already existed, but that was how the game was set up, so you'd play it.

There was no writing to the companies and complaining, telling them you wouldn't play their game anymore. There was no arguing with them that their control sticks didn't move properly and how could they release a game with 4-way movement when other games already had 8-way and more?

We didn't stand around the arcade telling other players "Don't play this, this game sucks" unless it was actually a broken machine and was just eating quarters or something.

We didn't have damage meters, we didn't have add-ons that we could plug into the game and the like. We learned how to play the games by practicing, and playing them over and over again.

If you think this game is broken, or in beta, or shouldn't have been launched, I'm sorry, but you really aren't credible... at all.

The game has been fine so far, and that's with 4 different alts leveling up through both the Republic and Imperial sides.

If you can't play the game for some reason, and it isn't a hardware issue on your end, then I'd try looking in the mirror to see why you can't play it. Why can't you heal your companions without nifty macros and add-on programs? Sure, there will be misfires every now and then where I get stuck on a player when I'm trying to damage the boss, or I'm stuck on a boss when I'm trying to heal a player, but it's just a mistake, and you figure it out, and you move on. You don't need helper apps and little magic elves to help you. You need to learn how to become a better player.

If there's an ability delay problem, which the developers have already acknowledged and said they're looking into, even though it might take some tinkering under the hood with the basic engine itself, then figure out how the ability delay affects the characters. Someone responded to me earlier and said it doesn't affect all classes equally, and hurts the instant casters more than those with longer delay timers. If that's the case, then REROLL a new character with more timed casts so you can play the game and work around the delay.

TL;DR...

Work AROUND the problems and play the game, or else just go. Say your peace, give your feedback, and just go away. The exclamations of "broken" and "shouldn't have launched" are just over the top garbage.

Plenty of people, hundreds of thousands of them, are playing the game you say is "unplayable".

People are thankful that they can play the game you swear "shouldn't have been launched".

People are using the auctions every day to find things you say can't be found. People are using the auctions every day to sell items you say can't be sold.

People are using the existing UI to play the game, defeat bosses and world bosses, and heal their companions in ways you say are impossible without all your handy dandy add-ons and mods.

Some of you have work to do as well, learning how to play the game. Learning what mistakes not to make, instead of wishing you had some add-on that would minimize the mistakes you keep making.

That said, we now return you to your regularly scheduled QQ, already in progress...

Thank you.

Uthic i'm not saying that all gamers are old coffin dodgers like me and my friends, that was more to highlight the rampant sterotyping being done in the post I replied to.

I agree that the UI could use some work and a LFG tool wouldn't go amiss. But berating the Developers for not including them and assuming that they are the basics of an MMo is rather childish in my opinion. This game doesn't need Addons, Macros or a DPS meter. Yes a combat feed into a seerate chat channel would be nice but its not really necessary.

SWTOR is certainly not a Hardcore MMO, you just need to look at the lack of a meaningfull death penalty and the way you are spoonfed how to complete quests to prove that.

These critisisms aren't meant to imply that I don't love this game though, i'm having a great time, warts and all. Interestingly, despite the frequent complaints on the forum i've yet to see anyone in game (either in guild, private or general chat) complain that they're not having fun.

1. Combat logs are coming, for your own stats.

2. Doesn't need a customizable UI. If you get one, you're lucky.

3. Doesn't need macros.

4. Doesn't need add-on support.

5. No idea what the hell GCD is but I'm guessing it has to do with WOW somehow.

6. Auction house works just fine.

7. You must be trying to find groups wrong.

8. Who the hell cares? What are you filming movies?

When will these posts stop? Good god, the whining...

You don't know what GCD is and you are telling people what they do and don't need in an MMO? Then you go back and EDIT your post to cover for your ignorance and we're supposed to take you seriously?

Thanks goodness people quoted your post to show you are completely clueless about MMOs.

I have to admit, when you thought GCD was something from WoW I laughed really, really hard.

Wow, just wow. And just so you don't get even MORE confused, that is not a World of Warcraft term, it is a reaction to your post.

I just don't understand it. The bulk of the negative feedback I've seen both here and IRL has been that the game isn't enough like WoW, not that it's not different enough.

this is completely untrue. the only ppl that say this are WoW players, SWTOR has so many new players that are new to genre, they are not missing WoW. i am not missing WoW,

i do not need a combat log, when i group with my friends and we kill a group of mobs i know we are doing something right, when we die i know we are doing something wrong. i do not need a combat log to work this out. (but incase you missed it combat logs are coming).

mods and addons are a joke. a crutch for weak players that have smoked far to much wacky backy and now can no longer remember a few keybinds, and i hope they never put them in the game.

as for find a group. BW have said they will make this easier, but cross server LFD is a bad idea. and the only ppl that want it are ppl that don't want this game to succeed

Making changes, for no reason other than to be "different", is not "innovative". Maybe someone should wake Ohlen and the rest of the devs up to the fact if it's "tried and true", there's a damn good reason. Because it works.

So you didn't understand that this is precisely what Ohlen was saying?

He brought this up to point out that there are tried and true features and mechanics in all types of games. To criticize one game for recognizing this but not another is silly.

TL;DR...

You missed the part that this game was released in late late late 2011 with a horde (no pun intended) of games to follow and model around. Also if you are "old school" the PR double talk would be enough to drive you insane and you would equally be upset that this issue was acknownledged by Bioware ONLY AFTER being exposed by the PLAYERBASE not with Bioware being open and honest.

This "bug" is not an instance being available, or a hair style in character creation, this "bug" it an entire graphics mode that was REMOVED from the game.

You also missed the point that NOT ONE review online or in any other media makes mention of this simple 'bug". One of the most hyped games in MMO history and graphics was missed?

Glad you keep playing, but if you believe that this was a "bug" then I have a crap sandwiche for sale.

Edited by Zezel

this is completely untrue. the only ppl that say this are WoW players, SWTOR has so many new players that are new to genre, they are not missing WoW. i am not missing WoW,

i do not need a combat log, when i group with my friends and we kill a group of mobs i know we are doing something right, when we die i know we are doing something wrong. i do not need a combat log to work this out. (but incase you missed it combat logs are coming).

mods and addons are a joke. a crutch for weak players that have smoked far to much wacky backy and now can no longer remember a few keybinds, and i hope they never put them in the game.

as for find a group. BW have said they will make this easier, but cross server LFD is a bad idea. and the only ppl that want it are ppl that don't want this game to succeed

With all due respect, it is inherently ineffective to rebut claims that characterize the "bulk" of popular opinion by asserting that your own opinions do not conform. There are far more people here asking for LFD tools than explicitly asking that they not be added.

Edited by EricOF

He's not necessarily comparing it DIRECTLY to those games, he's using those games as an example. Notice how games of other genres tend to stick to methods that work? New shooters pretty much all have aim down sight, for example, those that don't have a zoom in feature for aiming. There are just a lot of gameplay mechanics that genres tend to stick with from one generation from the other, because they've worked in past games.

WoW isn't the only successful MMO over, it may be the MOST successful MMO ever, but just because Abraham Lincoln was the best president ever, that does not mean that no other president was good. MMOs like Aion, Rift, Guild Wars, EvE, FFXI etc. Have been quite successful, just not anywhere near WoW.

Whether it was right of them to stick with certain mechanics or not is a whole other beast. But the comparison he made was only to show that games don't always innovate in ALL areas, and games don't have to innovate in all areas to be good. CoD, GoW, and BF are prime examples, they innovate in some areas, but keep a lot of the same core mechanics (though Gears of War is more innovative than the other two).

I appreciate your post but I did get that. I just think it's evasive and slightly defensive to make any comparisons whatsoever to the FPS genre. Or what would be worse is if he truly feels this way and then the MMO people are truly going to be disappointed.

My point is that his head is in the business of the game market with it's multiple genres and it's not in the the feel of a true MMO.

With all due respect, it is inherently ineffective to rebut claims that characterize the "bulk" of popular opinion by asserting that your own opinions do not conform. There are far more people here asking for LFG tools than explicitly asking that they not be added.

and there are even more ppl playing the game oblivious to all the QQing on the forums that are not asking for LFD. so they are the bulk. internet warriors that use the forums as a weapon to bash something they do not like are not the majority in any aspect of life

After reading this list, Im beginning to see the problem with are community and the general forum user.

Its clear most are not even following what the devs say or just want silly, pointless features adding to the game.

Im also starting to think these people have never even played an MMO.

My faith in the general gaming community has been diminished after reading this post and the many problems with it.

Considering my Comment to you was to tell me why TOR is not an MMO and these are the reason you gave me, You have made me very sad and feel are community is filled with people who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Today is a sad day in gaming.

Listen. My intention is not to discourage or sadden anyone. Really. Also I don't feel entitled. I am fully aware that their goal was to make a theme park and not a sandbox MMO. And they did that well.

I post the way I do for several reasons:

• It's just my opinion.
  • They went the wrong route with a theme park MMO.
  • They tried to please everyone and will end up pleasing very few unless serious fixes and changes come. This is a sad fact.
  • They can change it for the better.
  • In my opinion most of what I listed should be standard in an MMO today.

I really applaud the good that they've done with the Story and VO. It's great. The gear mods are pretty cool too but it's overshadowed by a poorly implemented crafting system.

Anyway in the end, it's just my opinion and doesn't matter much. Soon I will move on.

If you love the game, love the game and play it. Stay off the General Discussion forums as well.

Don't let anyone stop you including me. :)

To everyone who says "This game isn't innovative":

Please go to your local library, find a dictionary and look up the definition of "Innovation".

Then come back and tell me that Bioware hasn't innovated the questing experience of MMOs.

As well as the crafting and companion systems of MMOs.

Shhhh... You'll scare the forum Trolls...

TL;DR...

I like this guy.

Edited by DarthKhaos

You don't know what GCD is and you are telling people what they do and don't need in an MMO? Then you go back and EDIT your post to cover for your ignorance and we're supposed to take you seriously?

I didn't know what the acronym was. I had no problem understanding the actual concept.

Try again. Usage of acronyms as some semblance of expertise is an old trick and quite transparent.

So now people are excusing this games poor mechanics by comparing them to 20 year old arcade games? That's encouraging.

No. Let's be clear. We're comparing players of arcade games 20 years ago to players of computer games today.

There's a difference. Learn it.

Uthic i'm not saying that all gamers are old coffin dodgers like me and my friends, that was more to highlight the rampant sterotyping being done in the post I replied to.

I agree that the UI could use some work and a LFG tool wouldn't go amiss. But berating the Developers for not including them and assuming that they are the basics of an MMo is rather childish in my opinion. This game doesn't need Addons, Macros or a DPS meter. Yes a combat feed into a seerate chat channel would be nice but its not really necessary.

SWTOR is certainly not a Hardcore MMO, you just need to look at the lack of a meaningfull death penalty and the way you are spoonfed how to complete quests to prove that.

These critisisms aren't meant to imply that I don't love this game though, i'm having a great time, warts and all. Interestingly, despite the frequent complaints on the forum i've yet to see anyone in game (either in guild, private or general chat) complain that they're not having fun.

Combat log is necessary for a MMOG, I think, provides useful information for one to find out what killed them, how are they doing damage healing wise. Feedback to the user isn't a bad thing, and it's a very common feature - would be curious why it was left out. Likewise with addons and macros, more the former for me, personally.

But oh well, all this will come to nothing anyway.

Combat log is necessary for a MMOG, I think, provides useful information for one to find out what killed them, how are they doing damage healing wise. Feedback to the user isn't a bad thing, and it's a very common feature - would be curious why it was left out. Likewise with addons and macros, more the former for me, personally.

But oh well, all this will come to nothing anyway.

That big monster you were facing off against killed you. You killed it you did fine dmg wise. The party all have +1 HP and are currently alive you did enough healing. How about a big "V" sign for Victory for some feedback. Perhaps a little happy music cause you won.

Let's not get into the whole addons thing. That's a WHOLE thread all by its self.

He is comparing TOR to FPS games.

That right there says it all in a nut shell that he doesn't get the genre at all.

They are pretending this is an MMO when it is not.

This is a single player game where you can walk by your buddies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.