Why are people such jerks? (repost from General)

lindsu

Why are people such jerks? | Today , 01:09 AM

**a note to the person that replied about the politics thing. Yes, people are able to discuss politics but it always turns into I HATE LIBERALZ, they R SCUM. Or something else demeaning. If you can't have a political discussion, or other discussion without calling someone names... You shouldn't be having that discussion.

Someone got called a Liberal? I hope you reported them. ;)

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I haven't played MMOs in awhile. Maybe I've been out of the loop as far as what goes on these days but I'm getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore.

I've ignored FAR too many people in this game for just being all around jerks. People think that because they can hide behind the guise of an avatar, they can act how ever they want to anyone they want.

THAT IS NOT OK.

If you don't like the way someone is playing their character, don't tell them OMG U SUK, REROLL NUB. If you find a female online, the correct response to them being around is not LOL GIRLZ DON'T PLAY, GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN.

MMOs are NOT the place to discuss politics, especially in /general. MMOs are NOT the place to air out your dirty laundry. And just because you don't like the way someone plays their character, it DOES NOT give you the right to be a total douche to them.

**a note to the person that replied about the politics thing. Yes, people are able to discuss politics but it always turns into I HATE LIBERALZ, they R SCUM. Or something else demeaning. If you can't have a political discussion, or other discussion without calling someone names... You shouldn't be having that discussion.

This player base seems to lack any sort of social skills and I'm not exactly sure why. I've heard of people like this on XBOX Live or other places where prepubescent boys can act like big tough guys.

I don't want my ignore list to grow anymore, and I certainly don't want to quit a game I like just because people want to harass me. I should be able to enjoy the game just like everyone else.

I'm seriously calling out the community here. This needs to be fixed. There needs to be a better way to write tickets for people that say really mean things. There should be a /report [player] command and people that talk like this should be punished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this game is completely being ruined by people like this. And IGNORE should indefinite, until I remove them because harassment exists.

Sorry for the rant. I've just been harassed more than once for many different reasons and I've watched other people harass others in general and I felt like there was nothing I could do to stop it.

You want to keep my money and the money of all of the mature adults out there?

Make it so players aren't allowed to harass other players.

And to a reply to the people that said "Welcome to the internet", the internet shouldn't always be a place where you have to "hide Yo KIDZ, hide Yo WYFE".

And a Reply to the Forum Mod that shut down my post, next time you should just move it. I'm so close to quitting this game because people are ******es, and you LITERALLY made yourself no different than all the jerks that are playing this game.

You see these? They're tears. You made me cry.

Thanks internet.

this is not new, it really picked up momentum with WoW bringing in all the douchebags to the genre.... so thank Blizzard for that

i agree though, there are way too many of these types of pieces of **** people infesting all corners of the internet and games, frankly i wish there was something society could do to cull them, but that is not an option so my suggestions is to just ignore them and develop a thicker skin like I did

don't let their pathetic reality impinge upon yours, and don't let them get you down.... in the end, the last thing you want to do is give them ANY control over you, whether it be your emotions or your enjoyment

this is not new, it really picked up momentum with WoW bringing in all the douchebags to the genre.... so thank Blizzard for that

i agree though, there are way too many of these types of pieces of **** people infesting all corners of the internet and games, frankly i wish there was something society could do to cull them, but that is not an option so my suggestions is to just ignore them and develop a thicker skin like I did

don't let their pathetic reality impinge upon yours, and don't let them get you down.... in the end, the last thing you want to do is give them ANY control over you, whether it be your emotions or your enjoyment

Well said!!

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I haven't played MMOs in awhile. Maybe I've been out of the loop as far as what goes on these days but I'm getting to the point where I can't handle it anymore.

I've ignored FAR too many people in this game for just being all around jerks. People think that because they can hide behind the guise of an avatar, they can act how ever they want to anyone they want.

THAT IS NOT OK.

If you don't like the way someone is playing their character, don't tell them OMG U SUK, REROLL NUB. If you find a female online, the correct response to them being around is not LOL GIRLZ DON'T PLAY, GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN.

MMOs are NOT the place to discuss politics, especially in /general. MMOs are NOT the place to air out your dirty laundry. And just because you don't like the way someone plays their character, it DOES NOT give you the right to be a total douche to them.

This player base seems to lack any sort of social skills and I'm not exactly sure why. I've heard of people like this on XBOX Live or other places where prepubescent boys can act like big tough guys.

I don't want my ignore list to grow anymore, and I certainly don't want to quit a game I like just because people want to harass me. I should be able to enjoy the game just like everyone else.

I'm seriously calling out the community here. This needs to be fixed. There needs to be a better way to write tickets for people that say really mean things. There should be a /report [player] command and people that talk like this should be punished.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like this game is completely being ruined by people like this. And IGNORE should indefinite, until I remove them because harassment exists.

Sorry for the rant. I've just been harassed more than once for many different reasons and I've watched other people harass others in general and I felt like there was nothing I could do to stop it.

You want to keep my money and the money of all of the mature adults out there?

Make it so players aren't allowed to harass other players.

And to a reply to the people that said "Welcome to the internet", the internet shouldn't always be a place where you have to "hide Yo KIDZ, hide Yo WYFE".

And a Reply to the Forum Mod that shut down my post, next time you should just move it. I'm so close to quitting this game because people are ******es, and you LITERALLY made yourself no different than all the jerks that are playing this game.

You see these? They're tears. You made me cry.

Thanks internet.

I totally agree with you. See for me I have had one rather nasty experience. It happened when I was leveling my Sith assassin, basically what happened was someone in general was making rather offensive comments about the republic and comparing them to the real life religions of the world, the person then made a attack on the religion I am part of (yes I know perhaps I should have ignored it). So I responded to the person because I was upset then he attacked me personally which infuriated me even more so I turned off general and sent a ticket in for bullying behavior. The overall point is that why I agree that the internet is filled with faceless bullies who are bored with their lives and thus take it out on people, I still believe in common decency and maturity and while we all try to strive for it in real life why cant gaming worlds such as SWTOR be like that too. Is to say that its simply a game enough? I mean people bring their families and friends so in essence it becomes a place to meet other gamers and to interact with them. So I say I will say it again, I truly wish there was a way to keep trolls and bullies away from the game and the internet.

OP; I agree with you in principle but you're getting yourself worked up over something that cannot and will not change unless someone out there has the magic ability to alter human nature by waving their magic wand.

The best way to deal with it is to either stop playing, leave chat channels you find offensive, only play with people you know, and/or ignore most folks. Sure this seems counter to the social nature of an MMO but when you interact with other human beings you must accept the chances that they will offend you or not possess the same level of social graces that you have or are used to, online or IRL. Sorry to state the obvious.

Fortunately 95% of my interactions in this game have been overwhelmingly positive which wasn't the case at all with my experiences in other MMOs.

Edited by Projawa

I'd have to agree with you, OP. I was on Balmorra today, and asked a simple question about the World Boss in general chat. Three people mocked my name in chat for half an hour, along with disparaging my ability to play. I just transferred to Harbinger, so I'm not sure if it's just the population increase, but it certainly seems like the trolls are breeding.

in my opinion i think societys becoming worse and worse each year kids are just getting meaner. so because of that people who are mature and respectful should just ignore them because all there trying to do is get attantion and there own personal lolz. so by ignoring them its like telling them to go **** themselves without all the hassle of an argument

Anonymity + not being within slapping/punching/maiming distance= the desire to be an absolute numpty to your fellow man.

Yep, we need a "net slap" option.

How about this; everyone who plays SWTOR is required to use a special mouse and keyboard that will deliver an electric shock when the player acts the fool online. Those who can successfully go 100 hours without being a jerk, get a one time use "shock other player" token.

We could have "shock other player" as a ludicrously rare loot drop.

The only problem is, if we put those on the GTN then gold farming becomes a $380 billion per year industry. People will be taking out second mortgages on their house to come up with 80 million credits to buy one.

You could probably use that mouse and keyboard to prevent malware, addware, spyware and virus's from getting on computers too. Wives could keep their husbands from surfing **** all day too.

Actually, this is a pretty good idea, I think I will get to work on this. I thought of it first! Anyone steals my idea and I'll gank ya!

I fully agree with the OP, sorry not read through the thread.. :/ but we all see this kind of thing every day, on the server I now play on, they seem to talk about Jesus all day, and are you a Christian ? Sorry, but General chat it might be, but come on, please leave politics and religion off it.

I have seen lots of nub re roll posts, and even called them out over ops, and other channels to tell them they are 'not' being helpful to anyone let alone that player, got some thing to say to them, help them improve, don't tell them they suck.

Its really degrading and demeaning immature behaviour towards other players, not to mention disrespectful. If its not allowed on the forums, it certainly shouldn't be allowed in game either.

I agree with the OP.

And for those who say "If you don't like it then leave." or have that sort of attitude please remember that all of us are paying our subscriptions because we want to play the game. We all have different things we may want out of this game but we are not just paying for a game but for the service/experience we are wanting from that game, especially when it's an MMO because social aspects are an inherent part of the game. With social aspects should come respect for all people playing the game.

If people want to shout such profanities or state such derogitary comments then they can do it in their own private chat channel if they so desire but to do it in such a public way can have a severe impact on people.

Fine, if there are people that don't care then all power to them for being able to deal with it in that way but we are all people and we are all different. Not all of us can cope with or deal with things as easily as others.

If people get enjoyment out of typing such things in chat or reading such things in chat then why don't they request their own private channel for such things from Bioware where they can say such things to each other all they want.

I keep General Chat on because I want to make an effort in being part of the community on the server I am playing in. Part of being in a community is to show respect and consideration for all your fellow players. It shouldn't matter whether or not another player is better than you or not, or whether they can out perform you in a certain way, or whether they have more knowledge about certain class abilities than you do, we're all here because we want to play the game and be able to enjoy it.

These people are helping to kill the game with their desire to use such language or their tolerance for such things.

I too have experienced being part of a group that decided it was entertaining to insult me. I left the group and the insults continued on General Chat. I ignored them because I see no point in dropping down to such a pointless level of even bothering to try and communicate with such people in any way. I've also experienced it in the only other MMO I've played: City of Heroes / Villains.

But why should such things be accepted or tolerated?

They shouldn't and as a community we shouldn't tolerate or accept these things either. If they want to act / behave like that let them do it away from being able to affect all the people trying to enjoy the game and interact with the community in a considerate, polite and respectful way.

Although I do agree with the O.P. I also agree with the people who are saying deal with it or close general chat. I never understood why a game maker would add such a feature. To me it is a pointless tool for the tools and morons to spout of idiotic B.S. It serves no purpose otherwise. I'd like to see a zone specific chat that you can only hear the people withing so many feet/meters of you. Sure it would make it harder to communicate en mass. Is that really a bad thing in an environment where you can't do anything to shut them up?

The community is unable to police itself because we aren't trusted with the tools to do so. (with good reason) This is the true shame in it all. Someday some company will figure out the perfect balance. Until then just ignore them or feed them... it's your choice.

Edited by RathusPendragon

Short answer - people with low self-esteem cling to every bit of self-worth they can find. That usually means belittling others.

And it's a rather known fact that the majority of city-dwelling population (which composes the majority of MMO audience), consciously or subconsciously (heightened aggression also marks insecurity) are experiencing self-esteem issues, due to the dynamics of city life.

I've noticed this as well. It seems that the MMO world is the only place someone can find strength to lash out at another person without the threat of retaliation. It's very easy to be 300 pounds, full of acne, live in Mom's basement but have full War Hero gear so this is your place to be awesome.

Every time I hear people yelling in a WZ (I'm a pvp'r) I just picture the above person and all of a sudden I just feel bad for them. If you have a crappy life and your only place to to be great is in an MMO? I agree but, remember most of these hardcore people most likely have sad lives and actually have to live for this. Myself, I'm a bodybuilder with 3 kids an insanely beautiful wife, I don;t think I've ever needed to lash out at another player for screwing up.

I see these people as sad and unimportant in, what we call "real life". Next time ignore it and picture the hater as I just laid out. Or drink, that helps too!!

imo kids are the problem here sry for saying it kind of the problem is because their parents maybe doesn't tell them how to behave online and yeah hardcore gamers are on the list but if anyone has played fps you will see that kids are the ones that most swear, are jerks and that stuff. i've played mmo since i was like 12 now that i am 18, i see 10 yo kids swearing more than i do now, i don't get what has happend in the last few years

You know whats the difference between this and IRL? You have full control to stop the issue the second you want. I'm not here to hurt your feelings, but come on people how are you making it through your day to day like if you hold people that toss cheap comments in video games as such high regards.

Lets picture a scene.....

Player A - "It's possible you're the worst, no wait, it's a fact you are the worst player in swtor!"

Player B - *rages in chat, as well as IRL*

Player A - *laughs*

Player B - *goes to forum and create a thread called "why are people such jerks"*

Player A - *Continues to enjoy the game*

Player B - *thinks about quitting*

Player B - *informs thousands on the forums he/she is thinking of quitting"

Player A - *still enjoying the game*

Me: reading the post - *face palms*

Come on people it's a random person that should mean VERY little to you; why are you getting so hurt over words.

Solution: /ignore

:rak_03:

Yea the fourm moderators are completely useless they remove anything that tries to tell the community to figure there **** out ive tried and every bloody time they pull it down basically saying what you did above.

Anyways im glad one stuck way to tell people whats up

heres a little blurb i had last night

*so dude is a sorc and he continues to stack on Tank during LI robot*

me: dude stack on me (merc healer) i know how to move around avoid most damage*

him: ok

*20 seconds into fight after first bubble drops he goes force sprint to the tank*

me: dude you just increased bubble on tank chance to 75% u have to stand on me

*2nd attempt* *first bubble hasent even landed he stands in middle of room beside tank using double slash ...*

me: dude you have to stand on me when you get to close to the tank bubbles are targetting u forcing the tank to move and crowding the room beyone beleif if u stand on me the tank may have to move 3-4 times"

*3rd try guess where he goes* *TO THE TANK XD*

me: lany why wont you stand on me

him: i am

me: ummm no watched ya run in many times

him: why should i stand on you

me: explained multiple times (75% chance thing and the theory of why, had said each thing twice by then)

him: no this is your and the tanks fault 100%

*i leave group*

*seconds later i receive a tell*

him: your a *********** moron

what an awesome community this is eh.

long story short Lanyster on Canderous ordo should be ignored asap :)

As a relatively Young gamer, These posts and replies are a double edged sword for me. I was 11-12 years old in 2001-2002 and grew up as the internet did. I played every game I could get my hands on.

Seeing people being mean and rude, feels like an insult to me, even when they are being rude to someone else. Because I was the "lol 12 yr old gt*o newb" for a long time. I quit a lot of games simply because people act like if you don't get it right now there's no point in playing it. Now I'm one of the people trying to explain resolve bars and timing your CC so as not to waste it against their Cool Down.

When I see someone being a, raged out a**, to other gamers. I try and remind the player to ignore them, and help however I can. Just telling whoever is being trolled, 'screw that guy you'll figure it out' or, 'hey your map hot key is 'm'' could add a long time gamer to SWTOR.

Like the Nerds of Olde, that player may rise up, from the ashes of the general chat Flamers, and vanquish all trolls, only to corpse camp them until they rage quit.

I'll be on his side though.

Anonymity. It gives people perceived power and they use and abuse it. WoW is still worse than SWTOR in terms of asinine people and conversations-- I was quite happy on my low-level server because there weren't any morons running around, but now they I've merged onto a larger server I'm seeing the SWTOR version of Barrens and Trade chat. I usually end up clicking on the "Other" tab just to get out of General and avoid the chat.

My two cents.

This weekend on Black Hole, I was gathering the outdoor Hyperspace Supplies. If yer not familiar, there's one that spawns outside and you can only pick it up out of combat mode.

So while I'm polishing off the mob, another player comes right in behind me and picks it up.

I decide to publicly shame him, by announcing in general thanks for stealing the crate out from under me.

What followed was a neat microcosm of this whole effect.

The offender said he didn't know what stage I was on.

I replied he could have asked or waited 10 seconds to see if I picked it up.

He then said he was doing a speed run and tough luck he ninja'd it. (Because speed run was more important than mine).

By this point, general chat took a life of its own -- about half were people saying the theme of this thread, that was rude and internet anonymity. Another half were saying it's just a crate. And a couple were saying it's an RP server maybe he's roleplaying a jerk.

At this point I had an epipheny. The people that do stuff like this, of course don't act like this in real life because they don't have cover. But if they have the slightest bit of cover, they'll act like this.

These are the kids that would pee in the pool.

On the bright side, prior to this whenever I've needed that box and someoen is near, I've asked -- and been surprised at the whispers thanking me for asking.

A little consideration goes a long way.

One thing I have noticed since the influx to our server is an abnormally high amount jerks doing dailys, running in and stealing quest objectives, while you're there fighting the enemies right at that spot to get them. Prior to the influx, it was not uncommon to get, or put out an invite to share the objective looting. Nothing is lost, everyone gains from a simple invite.

Personally though, I don't sweat it. I simply click on thier character and ignore them. I will say that for a game that is only six months old, I do have a huge ignore list already compiled. I played FFXI for 10+ years and I can count on one hand the poeple on that ignore list.