Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the dev response from a previous version of this thread:

"Improving our LFG system is high on the list of features that Systems Design wants to add to the game. We want this to be good not just for helping people find Flashpoints and Operations to run, but also other multiplayer content like heroic missions. A key emphasis will be on advertising for specific role needs (healer, tank, DPS). This feature is currently in the design stage, and once this feature has moved beyond this to a development stage and has a firm ETA, I'll be coming back to you guys to give more details.

We've known we would need to revisit this feature for a while. In the level-up game, finding players isn't too rough because, with few exceptions, everyone in that level band is either on your planet or on the fleet. Once more and more players hit endgame, and are spending their time in more places, the need for this feature is going to increase. Note that right now, high level players have the opposite problem - there aren't enough other players up there to group with. This problem will dissipate as the game ages, and more players reach the later levels.

That being said, our design team doesn't philosophically believe that cross-server Flashpoints are good for the game at this stage in the game's lifespan. There is huge social pressure to not be a jerk that goes away when the odds that you will never see these people again is high. I'm not saying never - there may come a time in the future where we reevaluate this - but at least in the short term, we believe this will cause more damage to the community than good."

Linked here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1502055#edit1502055

Edited by BlueSkittles

Yes please. I'd much rather queue up for an instance and be able to quest while i wait than sit at the imperial fleet for 20 minutes spamming "DPS LFG for x" over and over for 20 minutes. It takes a lot more than an LFD system to ruin an mmo's community, and if that's all it takes then it must not have been much of a community to begin with.

This was the dev response from a previous version of this thread:

"Improving our LFG system is high on the list of features that Systems Design wants to add to the game. We want this to be good not just for helping people find Flashpoints and Operations to run, but also other multiplayer content like heroic missions. A key emphasis will be on advertising for specific role needs (healer, tank, DPS). This feature is currently in the design stage, and once this feature has moved beyond this to a development stage and has a firm ETA, I'll be coming back to you guys to give more details.

We've known we would need to revisit this feature for a while. In the level-up game, finding players isn't too rough because, with few exceptions, everyone in that level band is either on your planet or on the fleet. Once more and more players hit endgame, and are spending their time in more places, the need for this feature is going to increase. Note that right now, high level players have the opposite problem - there aren't enough other players up there to group with. This problem will dissipate as the game ages, and more players reach the later levels.

That being said, our design team doesn't philosophically believe that cross-server Flashpoints are good for the game at this stage in the game's lifespan. There is huge social pressure to not be a jerk that goes away when the odds that you will never see these people again is high. I'm not saying never - there may come a time in the future where we reevaluate this - but at least in the short term, we believe this will cause more damage to the community than good."

Linked here:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1502055#edit1502055

I saw that post, but I'd love to see a new post, in regards to other users on here.

I'd love for a Dev to post responses to Touchbass's major post though.

I find it upsetting that people would lie to further there agenda that have an honest conversation.

1) Ninja'ing!

You CANNOT ninja in LFD, it's impossible. Look up what the word means, stop using it as a buzz word cause you heard DevanSlice use it. There are loot restrictions that make it impossible for a melee plate class to take a healing piece of cloth gear. What you are referring to is off spec rolling, let me educate you on it. If you join a dungeon with people who share your loot table, ask them politely what their loot intentions are for the run and what you after. I've almost never had an issue with loot after discussing loot, maybe, umm you should be social?

2) Longer group queues?

Are you insane? You think sitting around is shorter then being in an automated queue? Why on earth would they implement if it made the process take longer?? What's the matter, do you not have any friends at all? Maybe if you socialized you've have friends to play with. Also the queues are a maximum of like 30 minutes for relevant content, I dont' think you even played when LFD were up judding from some of your comments

3) The "huh" moment of the post ...

So your saying putting yourself into a automated feature to find you a group takes too long but sitting around the fleet with no gaurantee of finding a group is much quicker and easier by basically your own words. So why don't you CONTINUE to group that way and let us have the features that we want?

4) The 'entitled baby' part of the post that's classic

So you don't adhere to logic, then say if we don't adhere to your point of view it's the nail in the coffin as it was for largely successful games. My god.

Do you mind pointing me to the part of my post where I slapped your mom? I stated my opinion, nothing else. YOU freaked out for stating why I (stress the "I") don't like it.

I stated that "I" don't have the 2hour waits that YOU apparently have, I stated that "I" have had different experiences than YOU.

About ninjaing being impossible, why did that guardian take my troopers +aim armour on the need/greed portion. Didn't realize guardians needed aim....

Please, I know you must be unstable or a troll to take an opinion and respond that rudely. If I came off harsh saying that those who don't agree can hit the road, I'm sorry. I only meant to state my experiences and MY opinion. You are entitled to a rebuttal, but I think we could handle it a bit more maturely... You say I sounded "entitled" but have you read your posts?

Do you mind pointing me to the part of my post where I slapped your mom? I stated my opinion, nothing else. YOU freaked out for stating why I (stress the "I") don't like it.

I stated that "I" don't have the 2hour waits that YOU apparently have, I stated that "I" have had different experiences than YOU.

About ninjaing being impossible, why did that guardian take my troopers +aim armour on the need/greed portion. Didn't realize guardians needed aim....

Please, I know you must be unstable or a troll to take an opinion and respond that rudely. If I came off harsh saying that those who don't agree can hit the road, I'm sorry. I only meant to state my experiences and MY opinion. You are entitled to a rebuttal, but I think we could handle it a bit more maturely... You say I sounded "entitled" but have you read your posts?

Calm down, I didn't mean to freak you out, sorry if I did. They took your loot because Bioware hasn't put the proper looting procedures in place that WoW has done, that I why I am insisting on their system. Besides, you only prove my point that people ninja in a closed "friends only socialized" system, thank you for helping my cause!

No I am not a troll, if honestly I did come off as harsh then I do apologize, the last thing I want to do is upset someone. Lets move on from this and keep promoting discussion on the matter, we square?

Edited by Touchbass

I saw that post, but I'd love to see a new post, in regards to other users on here.

I'd love for a Dev to post responses to Touchbass's major post though.

You at me both, at this point in the game and with so many people asking for a LFD I really believe bioware is so far behind on develop that they can't implement a LFD even if they wanted to in the fist place. It's nothing but a shame at this point, they could make the game sooo much better

Like, if the future of gaming is to be about carebears who just want everything to be so fast and streamlined that they never have to move through content to get to a flashpoint or heroic, that, for example, on a PVP server, you dont occasionally have to fight your way through the other faction to get to a given instance, wny even both having world pvp if you never hav eto interact with it?

I hope and pray they NEVER implement an LFR/LFD. It sucks the life out of a game.

I hope and pray they NEVER implement an LFR/LFD. It sucks the life out of a game.

This is a fact and anyone that has a spec of processing power should be able to see this past its own bellybutton.

Besides the developers already said they are going to improve the LFG system, but they are completely against a cross realm LFG tool, because they know whats best for the game aswell. There HAS to be consequence for your actions.

So, everyone whos here asking for a cross-server one, forget it. Not gonna happen anytime soon.

Edited by Nemmar

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

1. Can continue questing while waiting for group to form.

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

We really hammered on this in Beta.. From Day 1.. along with the old hoodie up vs hoodie down button heheh, but we knew this would be an issue. Some times you just gotta wait and see how it will turn out..

I think the goal is 1, make sure the game stays up 2. make sure the network can support the milllion players 3, make sure yoiu can pay your bills then add it the requests..

I play a 36 Twi'lek sage so I am not all that certain a hoodie will help me anyway heh

mal

Good job proving my point on how anti lfd people hold it as a belief that this tool should not be implemented. I swear, it's like a religion where no matter what people say, no matter how good an argument, how good the facts, nothing will change your minds that this tool is needed.

• If only there was a system in place to flag yourself looking for group.
  • If only there was a system in place to state what flashpoint or operation you're looking for group for.
  • If only there was a system in place to search for players looking for group.
  • If only there was a system in place to see what flashpoint or operation a person is looking for.
  • If only there was a system in place to contact or invite a person who is flagged and looking for the same flashpoint you are looking for.

If only...

Good job proving my point on how anti lfd people hold it as a belief that this tool should not be implemented. I swear, it's like a religion where no matter what people say, no matter how good an argument, how good the facts, nothing will change your minds that this tool is needed.

I think the issue lies in the fact that people see it's implementation differently. If you've ever tried to hammer out a Heroic 2+ on your own because you can't find anyone by spamming general chat by getting pulverized the minute you step into the story, you'd see the point for a grouping tool. Others see it as a tool for sheer laziness? Not sure. I'm all for it knowing how well it's worked in other MMO's.

Flashpoint finder is badly needed. Besides the low level Flashpoints I haven't had much luck finding groups at higher levels, and I've tried the chat spam approach. It's a pretty lonely MMO at higher levels. :(

this^^

+1

Want to buy flashpoint finder.

Others see it as a tool for sheer laziness? Not sure. I'm all for it knowing how well it's worked in other MMO's.

I'm another of those who prays they never automate finding groups (a.k.a. socializing).

To me, and many others I have talked to, automated LFG is one of the biggest problems with WoW, not something that made it better. Once they implemented that tool, 3 things happened. First, people started acting like tools because their server reputation meant nothing in a cross-server automated process. Second, no one talked in the groups or anything. I would go through entire runs with not a single word communicated. Third, the groups were so easy to put together, people would bail on the very first wipe or the run taking too long rather than tough it out.

The benefits do not outweigh the problems it causes. I can honestly say, I expressly seek games that do *not* have automated LFG tools so people can do what you're supposed to do on an MMO - socialize. For those who use their Friends list; do a good job and get added to other peoples' Friends lists; or join a guild - even better.

Edited by Banefallen

Its just an argument by repetition.

They either don't read the posts in the thread and, therefore, don't know that the points they're bringing up have already been discussed ad nauseam. Or they can't refute the points and so have no other course but to keep repeating things in the hope that people will give up.

Its just an argument by repetition.

They either don't read the posts in the thread and, therefore, don't know that the points they're bringing up have already been discussed ad nauseam. Or they can't refute the points and so have no other course but to keep repeating things in the hope that people will give up.

Not really. This is simply one of those issues people are never going to agree on. There are those of us who have seen automated LFG tools bring games downhill. Nothing anyone else argues will change our minds.

Likewise, there are people who like thing automated for them so they don't have to do anything themselves. They, too, have proven nothing will change their minds.

I'm hoping BW stays the path with this as well as other factors such as game difficulty/challenge and no damage meters. We don't need WoW 2.0.

Not really. This is simply one of those issues people are never going to agree on. There are those of us who have seen automated LFG tools bring games downhill. Nothing anyone else argues will change our minds.

Likewise, there are people who like thing automated for them so they don't have to do anything themselves. They, too, have proven nothing will change their minds.

I'm hoping BW stays the path with this as well as other factors such as game difficulty/challenge and no damage meters. We don't need WoW 2.0.

The arguments against LFD are, in the best of cases, anecdotal. I'm not trying to change your mind about LFD, but it gets old hearing people argue that feature X causes playerbase reaction Y with nothing other than 'well me and my friends all quit over it...' or something similar. People associating WoW's downfall with LFD (or dual spec, or addons, etc) is laughable.

I get that there are strong feelilngs about the LFD, maybe try couching them in terms of opinion rather than unverified assertion and anecdotal evidence masquerading as fact.

• If only there was a system in place to flag yourself looking for group.
  • If only there was a system in place to state what flashpoint or operation you're looking for group for.
  • If only there was a system in place to search for players looking for group.
  • If only there was a system in place to see what flashpoint or operation a person is looking for.
  • If only there was a system in place to contact or invite a person who is flagged and looking for the same flashpoint you are looking for.

If only...

+1 rep