Stop complaining about EXPERTISE

aspectsofwar

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are really funny.. You want to have a equal pvp system where everyone enters the warzone with the same gear/skills... The only thing you are doing is thinking about your own needs. You love PVE and when u whant to try pvp for 2h on a sunday you cry cuz you get owned.

Think about it this way.. Think about if "we" pvp:ers want to be able to play the last raid boss someday, should we be geard equal to the instance req when we enter it with same gear and skills.. NO!

If you want to be good in pvp and pve play both and stop winning.. im level 8 and i bin playing for 1.5h in this game and i want to learn about the game on formums and all i can see is noobs and role players that whant to destroy or make pvp a feature rather then a play style.

And ppl that are saying that this should be a PVE game.. have you seen the movies? Its always PVP in the movies. I dont see Darth vader and 9 of his friends trying for 2 H to kill a droid.

hahaha i did lol at the end. that makes sense, i would kind of be upset if i was a hardcore pvp person and pve peeps just strolled in and were equal to me after no prior grind.

but then again i would still beat them thriugh superior tactics and experience

soooo idk

Nope...the best thing to do would be to ignore all stats when entering a warzone and to set all armor types to preset levels (i.e. 400 for light, 500 for medium, etc) for the duration of the match. Then, instead of using commendations to buy better gear, you use commendations to buy vanity items (better looking gear, crystals, speeders, pets, etc.)

You can still have plenty of "carrots" for PvP. Just make the carrots into vanity items instead of items that give a competitive edge.

nah thats what consols are for - this is an mmo, its all about the goals and improvement over time played. without the sense of achievement that mmos give (or impossible goals) mmos have nothing much to offer.

There is a reason GW2 is the most anticipated MMo of 2011 and 2012. its a break from the WoW generation, unlike Swtor, rift, and other games who try to keep players through "gear progression". I hate to inform them, but they lose a large chunk of subs from players getting fed up of grinding losses while the people who are "geared" chock up the wins. there is no room for skill, only gear gaps.

Expertise needs to go (before you say l2p or that other jazz, I am fully champion geared.) the gear gap does nothing but discourage new players, and in turn slows the growth of the pvp comunity as a whole. cosmetic gear... you bet but not a stat that gives you an huge gap.

what the op doesn't understand, is that there shouldn't be a gear gap at all! 50 sets should have the same stats for the classes given. with an augment slot to change things up. that way when you beat another player, its not due to gear gap, its due to skill. but hell thats not what the OP wants, nor others who claim expertise is fine, they just want to log on and demolish other new players while getting demolished by people who have the same gear. they dont know how to play thier class and need the gear gap to win in pvp.

u... r... fraid... end... of... story

Edited by Qishari
inappropriate language

Expertise isn't the problem...the problem is that gear shouldn't have a role in determining the outcome of a PvP match. Why should you have a competetive advantage over me because you've played longer. The most talented player should be the winner in any match, not the one who spent the most time grinding gear.

i see ur new to mmos.

Expertise isn't the problem...the problem is that gear shouldn't have a role in determining the outcome of a PvP match. Why should you have a competetive advantage over me because you've played longer. The most talented player should be the winner in any match, not the one who spent the most time grinding gear.

Agreed.

Expertise is an awful idea and needs to go.

Nope...the best thing to do would be to ignore all stats when entering a warzone and to set all armor types to preset levels (i.e. 400 for light, 500 for medium, etc) for the duration of the match. Then, instead of using commendations to buy better gear, you use commendations to buy vanity items (better looking gear, crystals, speeders, pets, etc.)

You can still have plenty of "carrots" for PvP. Just make the carrots into vanity items instead of items that give a competitive edge.

why would i want vanity stuff ? i try to get better and have better gear to have an advantage, not to be a special snowflake like 90% of people want to be

there is a reason gw2 is the most anticipated mmo of 2011 and 2012. Its a break from the wow generation, unlike swtor, rift, and other games who try to keep players through "gear progression". I hate to inform them, but they lose a large chunk of subs from players getting fed up of grinding losses while the people who are "geared" chock up the wins. There is no room for skill, only gear gaps.

Expertise needs to go (before you say l2p or that other jazz, i am fully champion geared.) the gear gap does nothing but discourage new players, and in turn slows the growth of the pvp comunity as a whole. Cosmetic gear... You bet but not a stat that gives you an huge gap.

What the op doesn't understand, is that there shouldn't be a gear gap at all! 50 sets should have the same stats for the classes given. With an augment slot to change things up. That way when you beat another player, its not due to gear gap, its due to skill. But hell thats not what the op wants, nor others who claim expertise is fine, they just want to log on and demolish other new players while getting demolished by people who have the same gear. They dont know how to play thier class and need the gear gap to win in pvp.

U... R... Fraid... End... Of... Story

/signed!!!!!!!

What is the difference between Expertise and any other stat in the game? Two players with best in slot gear are going to "cancel each other out" even if expertise didn't exist. A player with best in slot gear is going to destroy an under geared player even if expertise didn't exist. This is an MMO and a gear grind is necessary to keep people playing in PvP as well as PvE. If you don't want gear disparity GO PLAY A FIGHTING GAME.

Expertise just keeps PvP gear out of PvE. That is its only purpose.

I can't believe how difficult this is for people to grasp...

I'm not arguing with your point, I am simply redirecting one of your points.. You stated that "This is an MMO and a gear grind is necessary to keep people playing in PvP as well as PvE". This is not true. Gear grind is divertible by a system that would relate to the Valor System. IF the Valor System would provide some type of pvp talent tree that boosted different stats, or had different skills that worked on different players, this would very efficiently sustain an MMO's pvp lust. This system has been used in various mmo's, and has nixed the necessity for World of Warcrafts renouned Tiered PVP gear and "Resilience" rating, or... expertise. This system described is essentially the same one as used in Dark Age of Camelot, the game that has won the most pvp awards to date ( by a long shot ). I played that game for 10 years, and only at the end of the 10 years did I reach the highest level of pvp... Realm Rank 13. The gearing in that game focused on people "templating" their characters to focus on not overcapping any stats, but still capping as many vital stats as possible. All this gear was attainable in PVE raiding etc. Each Realm Rank your skills hit for higher damage, and in between each realm rank there are 10 mini levels where you get "Talent Points" to spend on extra crit chance, higher crit damage, pvp abilities etc.

P.S. Dark Age of Camelot is owned by Bioware, so if any change's come, expect one like the above mentioned.

What is the difference between Expertise and any other stat in the game? Two players with best in slot gear are going to "cancel each other out" even if expertise didn't exist. A player with best in slot gear is going to destroy an under geared player even if expertise didn't exist. This is an MMO and a gear grind is necessary to keep people playing in PvP as well as PvE. If you don't want gear disparity GO PLAY A FIGHTING GAME.

Expertise just keeps PvP gear out of PvE. That is its only purpose.

I can't believe how difficult this is for people to grasp...

I'm just going to lawl here.

I'm not arguing with your point, I am simply redirecting one of your points.. You stated that "This is an MMO and a gear grind is necessary to keep people playing in PvP as well as PvE". This is not true. Gear grind is divertible by a system that would relate to the Valor System. IF the Valor System would provide some type of pvp talent tree that boosted different stats, or had different skills that worked on different players, this would very efficiently sustain an MMO's pvp lust. This system has been used in various mmo's, and has nixed the necessity for World of Warcrafts renouned Tiered PVP gear and "Resilience" rating, or... expertise. This system described is essentially the same one as used in Dark Age of Camelot, the game that has won the most pvp awards to date ( by a long shot ). I played that game for 10 years, and only at the end of the 10 years did I reach the highest level of pvp... Realm Rank 13. The gearing in that game focused on people "templating" their characters to focus on not overcapping any stats, but still capping as many vital stats as possible. All this gear was attainable in PVE raiding etc. Each Realm Rank your skills hit for higher damage, and in between each realm rank there are 10 mini levels where you get "Talent Points" to spend on extra crit chance, higher crit damage, pvp abilities etc.

P.S. Dark Age of Camelot is owned by Bioware, so if any change's come, expect one like the above mentioned.

I think DAoC (Or Mythic) is owned by EA and is part of the Bioware division. Both Bioware and Mythic are subsidiaries of EA.

Also Warhammer is the successor to DAoC and their progression was nothing close to DAoC, but rather more WoW or even RIFT related. WAR had ranks which would be similar to the valor system, You gain 10 ranks and you get an additional talent point. However, the bulk of the rank system was to be able to equip higher tiered gear.

And to be honest WAR system of Ranks + Tiered gear was the worst pvp system ever created to date. It was actually worst than WoW or SWTOR pvp gear system.

The best times of PVP in an MMO were the days of UO (Pre-trammel) where pretty much everyone equal in stats and gear played a very minor roll (barely any) in pvp. Most people only geared up for visual effects.

Its sad to see how MMos have gone to the "I need carrot on the stick and competitive edge over others".

Edited by Aricus

I think DAoC (Or Mythic) is owned by EA and is part of the Bioware division. Both Bioware and Mythic are subsidiaries of EA.

Also Warhammer is the successor to DAoC and their progression was nothing close to DAoC, but rather more WoW or even RIFT related. WAR had ranks which would be similar to the valor system, You gain 10 ranks and you get an additional talent point. However, the bulk of the rank system was to be able to equip higher tiered gear.

And to be honest WAR system of Ranks + Tiered gear was the worst pvp system ever created to date. It was actually worst than WoW or SWTOR pvp gear system.

The best times of PVP in an MMO were the days of UO (Pre-trammel) where pretty much everyone equal in stats and gear played a very minor roll (barely any) in pvp. Most people only geared up for visual effects.

Its sad to see how MMos have gone to the "I need carrot on the stick and competitive edge over others".

I agree with you. And to clarify, I completely discounted WAR, because it was such a failure that there is no way Bioware would use that system if SWTOR system was up for a major change, they would revert to what they know worked.... DAOC.

I agree with you. And to clarify, I completely discounted WAR, because it was such a failure that there is no way Bioware would use that system if SWTOR system was up for a major change, they would revert to what they know worked.... DAOC.

I would hope so too but a lot of indicators point that there's a possible chance that BW would implement WAR's system to here. I mean just look at the following: Illum, Limited End Game Crafting, Expertise, Mirror System, Valor.

All those except for expertise all come from WARs game system. All of them were also failures in WAR. It's almost as if they didn't learn anything from WARs failure.

Edit: I would say that they probably got the mirror system much better this time around than in WAR.

Edited by Aricus

• 2 weeks later...

The solution you are looking for is much less complicated than all of this.

Take expertise off gear, and make it rise with valor. Gear is no longer a focus of pvp, but there is still a progression! Which was effectively the same reason you were progressing to begin with. This also keeps everyone from looking like each other too.

PS: yes I did just necro this thread.