Forum Changes Coming!

AllisonBerryman

Once the threads start growing in < Server group forums > it will be more a less back to square one of having to wade through all the post to look for 3 - 4 post relevant to your server. At this moment in time I think Server Group is the right strategy. However the average player in Republic fleet CBA to look through multiple pages ( near future ). I hope Bioware monitor the volume and make the specific server version at some point.

It would be great to have a tool or some other mechanism In-Game to easily reference server group forums directly.

What is the easiest way to tell general population to reference a specific thread ? ( ie community building exercises ) ?

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about making an easy concept harder. Refer to K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)...

Server name forums

Not PVP>(A-C)

I mean really.... LMFAO!

Note: If it aint broke, dont fix it... Not everything you do BW has to seperate yourself from other gaming company designs... Sometimes the old dog does just fine...

Edited by Creedon

Are there any fan sites outs there doing indvidual server threads. Obviously Bioware don't want do it otherwise they would have. theres always some stupid decision made that ruins the chance of a game being near perfect. Obviously bioware dont understand how important it is for folks looking for guilds to be able to easily find those recruiting on those servers instead of reading through a massive list for a large collection of servers whether some have been marked by server name and some not.

This is somehow what a dedicated server forum SHOULD look like:

http://www.bloodworthy.com/

I dont get what BW are tryin to do with the thing they got going right now..

But this forum is a got damn good example on how a real server forum should be looking like.

I hope you guys on BW can get ideas out of it and if you ever need any help or got a question dont hesitate to contact me.

I'd just like to add my voice to the list of voices who would prefer if we had real invidual server forums.

The current format doesn't make me feel like I'm part of my server community, it makes me feel like my neighbors and I all got each other's mail and we're standing in the street figuring out who gets what.

We need two things to start building our communities on.

1) Individual server forums - Obvious reasons

2) An off topic forum - Off topic discussions can be just as useful for helping to build a community as rigidly moderated 100% on topic forums

Edited by racsofp

Why not just have individual server forums instead of grouping them together?

Just seems downright lazy and apathetic. In addition to mass confusion.

I kinda have to agree.

They keep trying to get away with no server forums, but we *********** want them!

I kinda have to agree.

They keep trying to get away with no server forums, but we *********** want them!

What you are asking there is £1 - £2 more a month of subscription costs...

What do you mean "why"?

Oh, do you think 100+ people will work as mods for free?

riiiiiight...

Edited by Black_Rabbit

If BW makes things that allows players to feel comfortable, more peeps will subscribe, and that will surely be able to cover the cost of more manpower to patrol the forums.

Creating more jobs, making players happy, making BW CEO more happy with a big fat bonus for the end of the year.

Edited by Krondorf

I'm going to have to add my voice for individual server forums. What you have is better than at the start but it really is a half measure solution to what players want. We don't have interserver grouping or PVP so multi-server forums are pretty useless.

If servers were organized in groups that had cross server play BioWare should still have individual server sub-forums. Have the "server group" forum and then server forum.

I've seen it said that the reason is that there are "too many" servers and that moderation costs are an issue. Well perhaps BioWare was a little too ambitious in its roll out as I have talked to at least 5 people who have re-rolled because their server was "dead". I know in this industry server consolidation so soon after launch is seen as a sign of failure and the doomsayers will crow that the game is dying but I really think these light population servers should be consolidated. That would cut costs and reduce the number of mods needed.

What you are asking there is £1 - £2 more a month of subscription costs...

What do you mean "why"?

Oh, do you think 100+ people will work as mods for free?

riiiiiight...

W-what? How does every other MMORPG in existance manage to give realm forums without charging more, then?

Well, that was fun, i try to open a tread on the absense of serverforums and it gets censored out because there is already a tread? I thought censorship didnt happen in our western society. Whats wrong with multiple treads about the same subject? People like to express themselves. This is what they wrote:

Today , 02:07 AM

Hello!

We'd like to highlight a post made by AllisonBerryman on the subject:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman

We understand that some players would still prefer individual server forums. If volume in the Server Group Forums dictates and it is still too difficult to locate information important to you that relates to your server, we will continue to consider additional changes. We believe this organization will allow us to have a thriving area for per-server discussion, and we’ll remain flexible and receptive to feedback from these changes. As always, if you have any other suggestions for the forums (new forums you’d like to see, changes that would be helpful), we’re glad to hear them. Thank you for providing your constructive feedback!

Because a thread about this topic already exists, we'll be closing this thread in order to consolidate discussion. We encourage you to join the existing discussion of server forums here:

Forum Changes Coming!

Thanks!

It is funny, because i read that post, and in its current form the servergroups will not be a triving area for per-server discussion as they say, but it will be a dead space with only a few treads. And instead of using that sign to improve and give us real server forums, they say that if the volume of posts becomes so big in the servergroups we will give you server forums. But this is contradictory.

Because of the bad design of the servergroup thingy nobody uses them, and because it isnt used we dont get real server forums.

Your logic confuses me sometimes bioware. I still love your game though.

Here is my post that got closed down:

Dear Bioware,

I've just written my first post in your servergroups thingy you created, and the experience left me scratching my head.

Why not real server forums?

Apart from fear of trolling i cant think of a single reason why you dont want serverforums for your awesome game.

Aside from the little trolling, server forums allow us to tighten our community on the servers. To cummunicate to other guilds, post nice happenings on the server, announce events, post awesome experiences, invite rivals to pvp and so much more.

Serverforums give that extra glue that forms real community.

What you have now is a half-*** solution, sorry to be blunt, but either do it right or dont do it at all.

Most games i played in the past has amazing server forums that created a lot of traffic because the community loved it, and having it as it is now will fall short hard of high traffic, and it will also fall way short of contributing to building community for SWTOR.

And i thought that was your whole idea for this game.

Strong server community? I love the idea. I love the absence of a multiserver LFG system. I love the absence of battlegroups for warzones.

I really start to notice my friends and my rivals on the server, i know my opponents, its all great.

I am truely flabbergasted that i could not find any real serverforums.

Put them in Bioware, trust me, they will help build the community you are looking for!

signed,

Jengar, Commando, Unrivaled - The Red eclipse(EU)

Edited by Jengie

They are waiting with the server forums. I am guessing it is because they want to see what servers they will keep after the server merges starts, because lets face it, server merges will come soonish. Thats a good thing though, I am not posting this as "doom and gloom", just thinking that the massive amount of servers they have up now, needs to be cut down for one reason or another.

I cant wait for server forums though. Its a real pain trying to recruit or even get people to read info about events and such when they have to navigate through a jungle of underforums to get to the "server forums". Bad design.

A Yes from me as well, but a general Region forum would be nice as well,

For example i posted that i am looking for a guild not on a particular server/shard but on any server/shard in the Europe region.

I had to post it in the "New Player Help" forum and that makes no sense since people wanting to recruit will prob not pick up on my thread.......

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=262651

A Yes from me as well, but a general Region forum would be nice as well,

For example i posted that i am looking for a guild not on a particular server/shard but on any server/shard in the Europe region.

I had to post it in the "New Player Help" forum and that makes no sense since people wanting to recruit will prob not pick up on my thread.......

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=262651

I found it :p

the A-C server recruitment forums are a terrible idea.

Bring back the ability to either have proper well designed recruitment forums and/or specific server forums.

I run recruitment and have done since start of WoW Vanilla, and since you have made changes the amount of apoplications per week has gone from 5 - 0.

Creating forums are also a very easy thing to do. Why wait to do this, it works in other games, why not this one.

I expect to see changes sooner than later please.

Edited by Cobblars

Nothing short of individual server forums are going to satisfy the playerbase. I don't know anyone who likes the current setup...frankly it seems lazy and poorly thought out.

It's too difficult to cultivate a community/identity in this jumble of servers...I don't know why this method was chosen at all, its just frustrating. Seeing other server threads near my own (Helm of Graush) just seems needlessly invasive and counter intuitive.

Perhaps there is a compromise? Make a server "filter" in the subforum group (e.x. a filter for D-H PvP) which only displays posts from whichever server is selected by the player (e.x. Helm of Graush in my case). This would go a long way towards making the server forums more popular with players while maintaining their current structure.

Edited by golfwang

I am a forum poster, but what I will not do is come onto these forums if I have to shuffle through a lot of topics that I either have no interest in or make threads/posts that have no relevance to 97% of the people here.

Let's face it. Servers have a solid grouping of people who know each other, on both sides, via warzones and open world PVP. To not create a forum for it is ridiculous, and it's not like it's that much harder to moderate. Anyone who is moderating should have multiple tabs open and it's not hard.

I am a forum poster, but what I will not do is come onto these forums if I have to shuffle through a lot of topics that I either have no interest in or make threads/posts that have no relevance to 97% of the people here.

Let's face it. Servers have a solid grouping of people who know each other, on both sides, via warzones and open world PVP. To not create a forum for it is ridiculous, and it's not like it's that much harder to moderate. Anyone who is moderating should have multiple tabs open and it's not hard.

This, tons of MMO's(actually all of them except ones with no official forums) have server forums and have no problems with moderation. If your to cheap to hire more moderators there's a pool plenty big enough to get some from in this very community that would be happy to do it for free, just require them to put something in their sig that says they are not an employee of BioWare/EA and their opinions are their own(which I see on those other MMO's that recruit from the community).

Please add individual server forums, it's just a mess in it's current implementation.

Edited by MaGicBush

I agree with other posters, this server group forum is so half assed that people will not use it. Also "fishing" for posts from you're server will be a total pain. Please Bioware get with the program. We have seen sooo many instances where bioware is trying to re invent the wheel, i.e. Galactic trade network, looking for group search, server group forums, social hubs, no chat bubbles, crafting professions with no end game craftables to sell, pvp scoreboards, codex achievement system vs. actual achievements. Please Bioware we all love this game so much we are choosing to forgive all these shortcomings but for how long is the question.

Server forums for each server is something the community needs desperately you want us to build our communities then give us the tools to do so, not some half assed group forum. like the OP said , " do it right or don't do it at all ".