In the movies there was night on Tatooine

al_giordino

For what purpose? Yes some other MMOs have it, but I've yet to see any point to it. WoW only had it because Warcraft 3 had a genuine game mechanic built around it.

The other thing about night in the desert is that it really is very very very dark. Not merely 'a bit dim'.

because although it's a cool feature it is not vital to launch with.

To paraphrase your statement, "because they can still take your money without it".

And they can take your money without :

No guild support

No LFG

No UI addons, combat logs, target of target

Linear Planets "follow the paths"

No World exploration or PvP possible

Loading screens

Broken combat system

Broken game client with low res textures and no antialising, having to run as administrator spying on all the running processes on your machine (who knows why)

Cannot fly over any planets not because they never flew in Starwars but because the planets are small, cheap and not "flyable" not 3D

Apologies if I have forgotten anything.

It's because this is thousands of years prior to the movies. During this time, the suns of Tatooine were an exact 180 degress apart, in relative perspective, making it day time all the time. Lapse that by a few thousand years, and the galaxy's shift and orbit, allowed the suns positioning to 'appear' near'er to each other.

Given the fact that space and time and matter are always changing, there is a viable explaination for it....

Given the fact that we have Bioware coding it, they're just too lazy.

Edited by Donkenoji

To paraphrase your statement, "because they can still take your money without it".

And they can take your money without :

No guild support

No LFG

No UI addons, combat logs, target of target

Linear Planets "follow the paths"

No World exploration or PvP possible

Loading screens

Broken combat system

Broken game client with low res textures and no antialising, having to run as administrator spying on all the running processes on your machine (who knows why)

Cannot fly over any planets not because they never flew in Starwars but because the planets are small, cheap and not "flyable" not 3D

Apologies if I have forgotten anything.

I assume you have cancelled? You could easily have changed out SWTOR and put in "Vanilla WoW" "Rift" or any other MMORPG and it would fit or be close. You have obviously never played a new MMO, else you'd know there are lots of things that aren't implemented immediately on launch and take many, many months to fix if they do get fixed at all.

But because this game isn't a WoW clone with Star Wars skin and Skyrim graphics, people have cried "fail." And they will never be satisifed even if it WAS like this.

I find the lack of a night and day cycle and random weather patterns in the game to be unfortunate. One of the things that makes some MMOs so intriguing is exploring a world that feels alive. Without natural events, these worlds feel like what they are--levels in a video game.

I do hope the developers have some intention of working this in eventually.

I'd definately like to see day/night cycles. I started off as Empire and when i went to Taris i wondered why all the mission log pictures were in the day when Taris is night time, apparently it's day for the republic...

However, don't use the movies as an example of things that should be in the game. Remember, the movies had Gungans too.

Why doesn't Tatooine or other planets have a day/night cycle?

ok op, let me just sum up 90% of the replies you will get on your thread.

"because the game is perfect, deal with it"

"you are a stupid noob, go back to (game)"

"stop asking for something that isnt needed, because i (random forum member) says so"

"blah blah blah dumb response blah"

bioware said that they kept night/day cycles out because it didnt fit in with their vision of how the quests during conversation modes would work.

they want to plan every single aspect of how the game would look in any instance, so not having the power to control if its night or day whenever you are doing your quest makes them sad pandas.

imo they should have put it in because it might actually make this game feel alive instead of a never ending cycle of whatever planet your on.

planets that are constantly at sunset are awful, i always get super sleepy from it.

oh and also! just thought of this...

how could bw make a day/night cycle when the actual sky and backround for every part of the game is just a backdrop. its like a curtain hanging against the back wall of a stage.

they couldnt make day/night if they even wanted too because their curtain is constant and never changes.

bioware would have to redo their entire sky and backround scenery. see that epic mountain in the distance? its a painting, see the clouds and or sun/moon(s) in the sky? its a painting!

Equally as weird to me is the fact that everyone, everywhere is basically repeating the same 3-5 seconds of their life in an infinite loop. People don't really walk around or do things, and that same speeder accident in the cantina will be there tomorrow and next year.

A day/night cycle would probably make the fact that NPCs never really move stand out more.

I love how the current young generation has to have everything now now now. Most of you don't realize the complex logistics that have to go into something of this size and complexity. The nice thing about an MMO is that it can change over time. Just because mommy and daddy gave you everything right when you screamed for it doesn't mean Bioware or anyone else is going to.