[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

is the rendering problem related to the amount of data that has to be pulled from the HD

I doubt it. I doubt many people had SSD drives in beta, but plenty have them now. I bet the majority of people in beta were playing off of a single hard drive, and they had high res textures working.

Two SSD drives in Raid 0 is ~4 times faster than 4 HDDs in Raid 0, which is ~4 times faster than 1 HDD.

2 SSD drives in RAID 0 = ~$140 USD today. Newegg. By the end of the year, you'll be able to get the same capacity (60 gigs in RAID 0) for half the price.

That's a ~16 fold increase in disk speed.

Straight up doubling ALL game textures widths and heights would result in texture size increasing by a factor of 4. And since we're only really talking about armor/model textures, it wouldn't be close to that.

Edited by Daemonjax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hi resolution shots when you can't see any except for cut scenes?

They simply choose to enable HiRes textures for all "Their" promotional screenshots and footage.

While choosing to have them only display HiRes during ingame cutscenes.

It's impossible to play with high res textures as they're no available for gaming, just cutscences. Except when they show promotional stuff, when they enable all the bells and whistles.

Because EAware is actively lying for marketing purposes, trying to get people to buy the game by showing gameplay in high res.

And after the confirmation they've given in these threads of the ingame issue, only to continue to show high res as active in the game through marketing, they are now heavily into false advertiement mode.

Edited by Zorvan

High res wasn't active during the beta weekends.

I played beta, and I saw what it looks like in Hires. Unfortunatly back then, they had the screenshot function disabled or I could show you. Even if you never zoom in, theres a noticible difference. Playing it post-release and noticing the difference is why I searched google and finally found this thread. I thought it was my system or drivers until I found out about this.

Edited by Redorbz

In my 30 years of gaming this has been one of the most underhand and shoddy mishandlings of anything I've seen in the industry.

I bought the CE and was all set to subscribe for six months. Instead I've now cancelled my sub.

Just a reminder to everyone here, the post from Stephen does NOT say they will be re-enabling the high resolution textures. In my opinion that simply will NOT happen now. It merely says they will be working on increasing fidelity for everyone. Note the extremely vague wording there.

To add insult to injury their marketing is still using video and screenshots that contain graphical quality that their live game is not capable of.

I think for the best indicator as to the quality of textures all you have to do is look at the quality of the shadows. They are an absolute joke of blocky mess. If that's the sort of thing that the development team think is acceptable then what can we realistically expect from them. The shadows in their advertising media are magically smooth bearing no resemblance at all to the ones in the game just like the textures.

All we can do is make our protests known to the various media outlets and show our displeasure by not subscribing.

I doubt it. I doubt many people had SSD drives in beta, but plenty have them now. I bet the majority of people in beta were playing off of a single hard drive, and they had high res textures working.

Two SSD drives in Raid 0 is ~4 times faster than 4 HDDs in Raid 0, which is ~4 times faster than 1 HDD.

2 SSD drives in RAID 0 = ~$140 USD today. Newegg. By the end of the year, you'll be able to get the same capacity (60 gigs in RAID 0) for

half the price.

That's a ~16 fold increase in disk speed.

Straight up doubling ALL game textures widths and heights would result in texture size increasing by a factor of 4. And since we're only really talking about armor/model textures, it wouldn't be close to that.

I have had ssd for over a year now and while load times werent as fast as it is now (debateable i know but it has undeniably more optimized then it was last march).

I just had a thought that there's a possibility this has allowed more people per server...less load on them?

Not really sure though, as I'm no server guru.

nah rendering doesn't cost more bandwidth to be used so the server load is independent of how the player his graphic settings.

No matter how they try to spin this it cannot affect server performance only player on their client side.

Only issue is that during the beta there wasn't High. Sure it was there, but it did the same thing it did now... nothing. There was a time in General Beta where High was enabled, this was when there were only a couple planets and they weren't even done at that point.

Everyone compares screenshots now by doing the holo-terminal. If you look at the videos during beta, what little there are, even the ones that claim high... look at the textures. They are the exact same thing you are playing with now.

The reason everyone thinks they were so much better is because attention was drawn to the Med/High issue loading. And people doing the holo-terminal trick. They are the same graphics that were in beta.

No they won't (well, some I'm sure will but I suspect most won't). They'll leave them as high as they can and whine about the bugs and poor performance. They'll feel entitled to run it as high as possible because they paid good money for their rigs and want the bragging rights.

"It's a 2012 game! I should be able to run it in as high-res as I want!"

C'mon. We all know that will be the kind of post made every 10 minutes if they put the high-res textures in as they are now.

Sorry...Just got around to posting this because I had to figure out how to take a screenshot in BF3, but If I can render this, with 64 players and a whole lot more action than the Fleet or any operation that is in the game thusfar:

http://i.imgur.com/Ov0QJ.jpg

Then Why can't I render this all the time?

http://i.imgur.com/MHpRs.jpg

This is truly the epitome of bad Coding and nothing more.

In my 30 years of gaming this has been one of the most underhand and shoddy mishandlings of anything I've seen in the industry.

(...) was all set to subscribe for six months. Instead I've now cancelled my sub.

All we can do is make our protests known to the various media outlets and show our displeasure by not subscribing.

Indeed.

I don't know what everyone is going on about.

I don't see a lack of graphics options.

http://i.imgur.com/3jdPm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4jNM9.jpg

Are you all crazy?

Indeed.

Edited by Ommm

I bought the CE and was all set to subscribe for six months. Instead I've now cancelled my sub.

Just a reminder to everyone here, the post from Stephen does NOT say they will be re-enabling the high resolution textures. In my opinion that simply will NOT happen now. It merely says they will be working on increasing fidelity for everyone. Note the extremely vague wording there.

To add insult to injury their marketing is still using video and screenshots that contain graphical quality that their live game is not capable of.

I think for the best indicator as to the quality of textures all you have to do is look at the quality of the shadows. They are an absolute joke of blocky mess. If that's the sort of thing that the development team think is acceptable then what can we realistically expect from them. The shadows in their advertising media are magically smooth bearing no resemblance at all to the ones in the game just like the textures.

This, this, this, this, this!

Considering canceling my sub for a few months until they get some of these issues resolved.

The "high texture can be an issue to some people even on high end computer" is bull really. Your team just can't code it properly enough is all. Should be simple enough (relatively) to at least always put your character in high rez, then work your way around in a bubble, further, lower rez.

The problem is clearly with your engine that's not working properly, or is just not optimized for some cards/situations. Nothing really wrong with that since it's a brand new engine, never been tested in anything ever before and it was mostly coded internally since even the company who owns the engine clearly stated when you bought it that it wasn't anywhere near ready.

(As a note for conspiracy nuts, it's funny that THE guy who officially decided to put that engine in SWTOR left Bioware right on release!)

- How can SWTOR take up to 1.7Gb of RAM when loaded with such crappy textures? The hell is loaded in there? Just starting the game up racks up almost a gig of RAM before you get to character selection?

- Why are there almost no difference in my card RAM usage between various settings? What are you actually loading on my graphic card? I got 1Gb of dedicated memory in there, please use it!

- Why is my GPU on all low settings running at around 5%, and is only peaking at 20% on high settings, while my CPU is constantly capped out or close to it. The hell are you calculating in there? Nothing?

I mean, in most games, when I crank up the settings to the max, my card runs a bit hot, or a wee-bit warmer at least. Here, I get crappy frame-rate all night long with nobody around and my card's not even going past 35°C?!

No matter what anyway, I always end up with some crappy frame-rate an hour later, barely ranging past 35 when nothing's happening around me, and hoping for 15 when it's action packed.

In any case, I wanted to upgrade my computer so I figured, let's do it before my free period runs out. Once done, that'll leave me 6 days to see if this game's problems can be overcome to run at least "decently" on an insane configuration relative to the technology it's using.

If not, well..that'll be that :)

Edited by Kemorand

Because false advertising (before the audience realizes it's false) attracts more positive attention than displaying the game with the dogbarf textures it actually has.

Because putting EAware's "It looks like turds on purpose because we don't know what our competition in the genre is capable of and we can't program our way out of a paper bag, eat up, ladies!" on the marketing materials won't attract as many players as lying to them about this game's "visual fidelity" will.

I played beta, and I saw what it looks like in Hires. Unfortunatly back then, they had the screenshot function disabled or I could show you. Even if you never zoom in, theres a noticible difference. Playing it post-release and noticing the difference is why I searched google and finally found this thread. I thought it was my system or drivers until I found out about this.
So did I and although screenshots were disabled, video capture was not. Though to be fair there are also some .ini settings that were in the old .ini versus what we have now (unless you manually add them back in).

It wouldn't surprise me if they took AA out of the next patch too even though it should have been in from launch.

This game simply cannot be played without forcing AA, at least 4x (even then, ewww!!).

Without AA..I mean..it's like minecraft or something! It just cannot be played by anyone with human eyes!

Their answer makes no sense to me, HOW many games at release when you cranked them up would crater your system and you ahd to adjust to match your hardware. ALL of them I can remember since the engines went 3D anyway. So I can see why someone who dished out $3000 on their rig is upset they dont even get the choice to enable them when their system could most likely handle them. Such a simple solution for BioWare, re-add the HIGH option for real and when they pick it pop up a box warning them, that they may experience graphics lag with this setting. Give the user the choice with a warning. I think this would make 75% of the people upset happy, the other 25% may find out they need an upgrade.

Cancel your sub in protest. But before you do please ask yourself this basic question:

Are you paying for textures or a game?

Big difference.

I'm paying for a package deal...which part of it I am not giving and they refuse to give to me.