[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, cause Bioware will care if I quit and they loose my $15. They will never notice it.

It would take a massive chuck of the 2 million people just leaving all stating the same reason before they would take notice, even then one or even one hundred people would make no change.

Bioware won't care if one hundred thousand people left if they still have 1.9 million, even that is a drop in the bucket.

Comparing something like organic milk to a game is a completely different matter.

Word it however you want, I personally feel that no matter if I quit and drug 100 other people with me that bioware would still not care.

Thats referred to as a self-fulfilling prophecy, and its delusional.

Ive heard the same argument time and again regarding thousands of issue. "Well lets just take it, I mean, they wont change so lets just keep buying it" So of course, knowing you feel this way, they keep selling it to you, with no intention of ever changing it. I could go on ad infinitum with examples of this.

In the end, the arugment fails. Yes, you are one drop, and yes this is just ONE issue of many ALREADY cropping up. Word it however you want. But continuing to bend over and take it from this company will only give them more ideas about how to screw you further in the future. Thats an inarguable fact, and it never fails. Everytime a company does something like this and gets away with it, they immediatly think of what else they can get away with.

"Jeesh, if these people willing to accept this, then I can sell them anything!! woohoo"

Laughing. All. The. Way. To. The. Bank.

If you dislike like the situation, yet arent willing to do anything to change it then that viewpoint does not serve you and in fact, hurts you the consumer as well as the community at large.

Edited by Redorbz

So the low fps issue wasnt about "low-end pc's" afterall.

I call shenanigans on that.. Textures are just that.. textures. They are small graphics files (jpg, gif, png, whatever) that are used to skin the polygon models.

Changing texture resolutions does nothing to the number of polygons your GPU has to process, it simply changes how much memory the skins that are pasted on top of the polygons take up.

If you can render TOR at 1920x1080 with the current textures and it runs, the only thing that would change with high res textures would be the amount of memory SWTOR takes when running. Yeah, that is more data that needs to be pushed through your graphics pipeline, but it's not like we're talking about DX11 features, ambient occlusion or anything that actually stresses the system.

Unfortunately I have to agree.... WoW's textures currently blow TOR's out of the water.. So much so that it's almost unfair to compare...

Quite honestly I think the simplest answer to this is that WoW character textures use different types of texture techniques. You can see these same types of techniques in swtor's evironments, which by and by are some of the best texturing and "art" I've seen in a game. It's a shame they didn't do it to the characters though... Oh wait they did in Beta. :\

Simply, the shading and tricks that WoW does on their textures make them amazing.

Hope you guys are looking at the Dev Tracker as well as previous posts in this thread, SR said there would be a "Fix" in the form of high rez character textures and some surrounding characters comming with the 1.2 patch. What that exactly is however is yet to be seen. But its a step in the right direction.

Also 1.2 is slated for a Q1 Release which is also good news.

No, that is not good news. Q1 could be 2 months from now when this should have already been resolved. This is just showing how terribly optimized this game is that It cannot handle their High Rez textures when my WoW textures look better than the textures I have in game now.

Hope you guys are looking at the Dev Tracker as well as previous posts in this thread, SR said there would be a "Fix" in the form of high rez character textures and some surrounding characters comming with the 1.2 patch. What that exactly is however is yet to be seen. But its a step in the right direction.

Doesn't matter, people want to have something to be upset about I guess.

So I was just looking at some GW screen shots in high res

The game textures are actually better than this ones.

I remember playing that fudgin game on a COMPAQ. like for real bioware?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/0/0b/Texmod_CustomArmor2.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/1/1d/Texmod_HDTexture01.jpg

http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/d/d3/Texmod_HDTexture02.jpg

even if they aren't crazy good, they are basically on par with this game, and it came out in 2005

Don't know why BW would delete all those other threads and posts, it seems so disingenuous. The graphics are a huge deal, and we deserve real answers, not some 3-4 day to "craft so it covers our butt" pr junk excuses. And to only have 2 or so actual replies from anyone at BW with thousands of posts is ridiculous at best.

We have a month old game, that has very sub-par graphics, launcher issues, other performance issues, (some people still cannot even get the game to load) and we get junk excuses. Bioware, for the love of gaming, please do not let EA ruin your reputation with this unacceptable level of customer service.

This is a game I have waited for all my life. I wanted to play games like this when I saw SW for the first time! Don't kill this awesome project with deception and terrible customer service, please. Don't remain silent, and sweep things under the rug by deleting and ignoring folks. That only infuriates people and leads to failure.

Unfortunately I have to agree.... WoW's textures currently blow TOR's out of the water.. So much so that it's almost unfair to compare...

It's not as much about "blowing out of water" and being worse than 7 years old game - I don't care much about it, but I start to care when everything I see is simply UNSHARP!

Yes: it's because of low resolution, but I don't care what's the reason. This game runs 120 FPS for me, it's end-2011 title and EVERYTHING IS UNSHARP maybe besides some background objects seen from maximum distance. What the heck?! Can you remind me how much this title costs again? Can't you implement PROPER graphical settings and SHARP textures EVERYWHERE.

I don't require photorealism, it's not in the style of this game, but there's no excuse for using such a low-resolution textures.

Edited by Sky_walkerPL

Thats referred to as a self-fulfilling prophecy, and its delusional.

Ive heard the same argument time and again regarding thousands of issue. "Well lets just take it, I mean, they wont change so lets just keep buying it" So of course, knowing you feel this way, they keep selling it to you, with no intention of ever changing it. I could go on ad infinitum with examples of this.

In the end, the arugment fails. Yes, you are one drop, and yes this is just ONE issue of many ALREADY cropping up. Word it however you want. But continuing to bend over and take it from this company will only give them more ideas about how to screw you further in the future. Thats an inarguable fact, and it never fails. Everytime a company does something like this and gets away with it, they immediatly think of what else they can get away with.

"Jeesh, if these people willing to accept this, then I can sell them anything!! woohoo"

Laughing. All. The. Way. To. The. Bank.

If you dislike like the situation, yet arent willing to do anything to change it then that viewpoint does not serve you and in fact, hurts you the consumer as well as the community at large.

Opionons, I do not feel wronged. Others do.

Calling me delusional because of my opinion is silly.

Nah, he said they are working to give us more 'fidelity.' This term is rather vague, and no concrete promises have been made.

I call shenanigans on that.. Textures are just that.. textures. They are small graphics files (jpg, gif, png, whatever) that are used to skin the polygon models.

Changing texture resolutions does nothing to the number of polygons your GPU has to process, it simply changes how much memory the skins that are pasted on top of the polygons take up.

If you can render TOR at 1920x1080 with the current textures and it runs, the only thing that would change with high res textures would be the amount of memory SWTOR takes when running. Yeah, that is more data that needs to be pushed through your graphics pipeline, but it's not like we're talking about DX11 features, ambient occlusion or anything that actually stresses the system.

I see your point clearly. And thanks for the response but dont you agree everyone should expect higher fps from a game that have graphics worse than WoW ?

More food for thought:

Why has not one (1) review out of the truckload available mentioned low rez graphics?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/337825/Game-reviewers-busted-Thanks-Bioware.html

Because they're playing the game and not zooming in to see how awesomesauce their character looks? I never once noticed it until this was mentioned, and I want it fixed, but that doesn't change the fact that most people here never noticed until this thread. Now everyone is quitting, which is kind of odd.

Not saying it's not an issue, just that it's odd to suddenly quit over it even though you weren't quitting BEFORE you were aware of the problem.

even if they aren't crazy good, they are basically on par with this game, and it came out in 2005

the textures might be nice..but the rest of the environments textures look like crap or are a low polygon base, not to mention the lighting. I have a beast computer with GTX 580 oced and on empire fleet i still get fps drops, imagine if they were actually HD textures..my game would be at 5 fps.

BTW, no raids in GW 2 5man MAX :D

because up until yesterday it was believed to be a bug that was being worked on....Not "working as Intended."

Ok following that line of thinking which I accept, there is not 1 review stating:

1) Graphics are bugged which Bioware is working on.

or

2) Graphics are low resolution for in game play with cut scenes being high resolution

Both of which are pretty dang important when writing an "official review".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=169095

Edited by Zezel

Because they're playing the game and not zooming in to see how awesomesauce their character looks? I never once noticed it until this was mentioned, and I want it fixed, but that doesn't change the fact that most people here never noticed until this thread. Now everyone is quitting, which is kind of odd.

Not saying it's not an issue, just that it's odd to suddenly quit over it even though you weren't quitting BEFORE you were aware of the problem.

It was one of the first things I noticed. I went from playing on "medium" from a Macbook pro 13" to playing on "high" on a Custom Built PC with a 26" Monitor. I noticed almost immediately and it really pains me that its "working as intended."

Sad thing is, you don`t need to zoom in.