[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

I tried telling you all in the last thread that you were setting yourselves up for a big let down, and that the textures in cutscenes were for just that: cutscenes.

The game is amazing and I am going to keep playing. The texures look great and everyone in my guild is having a blast.

Happy gaming!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the things I find odd about this and the way its described is when you use the preview window to see what an item looks like they use the blurred crapitalised versions of the texture but if you switch to how you companion looks they use the full high-res version.

The texures look great

For an N64 game....

Edited by GURTUS

No, because the assets are already on your computer, in the .tor files, in an unencrypted form, which can be extracted by publicly-available utilities right now, totally off-line, with no connection back to BW's servers.

Ah, OK. Well I am not going to get into a paranoid tizzy about remote rendering DRM unless I'm presented with credible proof. I'm still not happy about them force-lowering texture resolution though - enough to hold off on enabling a subscription for now.

The particular screenshot he was talking about had to come from cutscene because of the obvious depth of field effect.

Jeez, we have updated graphics incoming with the next big patch. It's confirmed. Be happy.

did you install patch 1.1 yet ? Yea... 1.2 is going to be march/april as in 2 to 3 month from now....

^

You can cancel your subscription but continue playing on your remaining 30 days until they expire.

Exactly, which is why people who are not satisfied have no reason not to unsubscribe. People need to realize that change cannot occur unless we make it. If you are just sitting here, fuming, complaining, and not doing something that has a deeper impact, you are not helping us fight for a better game.

The particular screenshot he was talking about had to come from cutscene because of the obvious depth of field effect.

Jeez, we have updated graphics incoming with the next big patch. It's confirmed. Be happy.

Yes and then he went on to say that those high res textures were only ever intended to be used for cinematics and that they have not removed high res from gameplay. This is completely false at best.

Bioware has released gameplay footage (not cutscene) using high res textures. For them to now say "oh those are just cinematic textures, never meant to be used in gameplay" is a complete 100% lie.

View Bioware's release of GAMEPLAY footage using those high res textures:

It's one thing to give an answer we're not going to like. It's far worse to out and out lie about it and blame us for not understanding how things work.

And you are just going to believe it? I will NOT believe until I actually see it...IN GAME. For all we know this is just another PR spinner to shut us up and make us go away about this issue. But I, for one, will not let it die until I have in game what I thought I was paying for.

cut scenes are not cinematics, stop calling cut scenes that! Real time use of our gear and character options ARE NOT PRE RENDERED BUMP AND SHADE MAP USE CINEMATICS. Calling them cinematics, its offensive, a cinematic is what u have at the beginning of the game, this is not a cinematic, trying to change the definition of what cinematic is to cover your rear end and saying that high res textures are cinematics now, so u dont get sued for false advertising is exactly the kind of bs that is pissing your gamers off.

If you do not come clean and just fix the issue it is why a law suit will be the only recourse. My goodness cant u see that u not fessing up to the problem is exactly what will force your customers to take it to a court? Now, release the high res textures u advertised and start working on releasing the even better originals and make this game better not worse.

And we need some major character customization on body and face, 4 body types, no undergarment style selection and a few facial and hair customizations are not as good as any mmo released in the last 5 years.

You are succeeding in doing one thing and one thing only with this cover up of your false advertising, ruining your name. And im quite sure your competetitors will be keeping close eyes on this as your false advertising literally hurt their busiensses. Now, if u want that to all stop, release the textures u advertised and the models u advertised and stop stonewalling your customers.

You want to fix your name? Then release the original artwork and give us even better then you advertised and let us decide performance. Add some major rehauls on the character creation and customization abilities, if u want me to recomend this game to any female gamer i know again.

You made me look like a fool to the girls i told how cool the graphics were, recommending this games graphics to people and now ur lying about it! That pisses me off, and i want this game to succeed. GET THAT?! I am trying to help you.

edited to fix typos because i am so pissed off i cant type straight, and no im not pissed the game doesnt look better, im pissed at being lied to and misled about a product i paid for

This will not be dropped by your competitors as a legal issue because u add a little bit in patch 1.2, this needs to be fixed yesterday if u do not want the other mmo's u took subscribers from to sue u, u might as well not even worry about the gamers pulling a class action lawsuit, u need to start worrying about other mmo's suing u for false advertising, and lying will only make it all worse, fix this now! i want the game to last

Its really as simple as that.

Except it's not. As soon as you step into the Republic/Imperial fleet, it's likely your comp will crash. Even high-end PCs were pushed to the limit when faced with so many models in one place.

Beta didn't have nearly the amount of players as retail does.

What bioware should do: While they're working on their current solution, they should add an option in Preferences that enables high-res textures for your character and your party members. At least it's a compromise and placation until they finish what they're working on.

All of us "whiners" are the only reason we even have a forced response on this issue. I'll take childish complaining over blind adult obedience any day.

The irony is that we're the ones helping to improve the game, and you're the ones allowing the status quo to remain.

Between this, the ability delay, fundamental mechanics of the engine being laughably poor(if you're not too busy playing this shoddy game, read the very illustrative post on the uselessness of shields and damage mitigation).

And while it's a bit off-topic, the lack of same sex relationships and absolutely no clue as to when and even if they will be implemented, continue to ruin the story for me and outright boggle my mind.

Actually the evidence points to DRM and have nothing to compare against, hence the question. How embarassing you know nothing about me, my education level but you still care to respond to me like I don't have a B.S.B.A in Project Managment.

Once again that is why I asked the question.

Go away.

For most of the thread you've been treating it as gospel though, not a question on your part. I don't think you're an idiot, I just don't think you're thinking logically on this issue. I'm doing a MSc in Physics by the way, nice to meet you ~

Also, where do you get the 10fps? If it's in pvp and fleets, well, from your laptop specs that can be expected, a 9800M would only just meet the minimum requirements, and a 2.2ghz celeron processor is slow

Edited by Arkanovi

It's because we're monitoring the dev tracker, because we're too busy enjoying the game instead of here, pretending that we're some self righteous crusading Mary Whitehouse.

It's not brown nosing. It's simple disappointment with the low capacity for reason, logic, and intellect amongst fellow human beings. It persists from MMO to MMO, and reminds me that I am so vastly better at nearly everything than 99% of the people I ever meet.

You think I'm always like this? This is the FIRST issue I complained about, and it wasn't a complaint for the game, it was the obvious insult on my intelligence.

I'm sorry you want to think everything is all rosy and full of unicorns in this "dev tracker" response to our complaints, but it really doesn't work like that. We've obviously been hoodwinked, and I refuse to continue handing over my time and money to an entity that doesn't respect that, but is living off of it.

Yeah, let's talk about Reason and Logic. Because I only saw this topic due to the dev tracker, and was infuriated at what I was seeing. Exactly....like....you.

Believe what you want from these seadogs, I'm done.

Thankyou for the update Stephen.

I'm sure we'd all like to be kept up to date on the specific things the dev team narrow it down to once you have finalised your plan of action.

At the moment we're still at the looking into various solutions stage but believe me you will make a HUGE difference for us on this issue if you keep us up to date with regular posts and technical details.

That would for me go a long way to reducing my big disappointment with the whole issue so far and restoring a badly dented reputation on the way the whole thing has been handled.

Except it's not. As soon as you step into the Republic/Imperial fleet, it's likely your comp will crash. Even high-end PCs were pushed to the limit when faced with so many models in one place.

Beta didn't have nearly the amount of players as retail does.

What bioware should do: While they're working on their current solution, they should add an option in Preferences that enables high-res textures for your character and your party members. At least it's a compromise and placation until they finish what they're working on.

Except it's not textures that cause it, it's *** bad coding.

Even WoW has better character models, and I could stand in Org at peak time with 100+ players around on max settings, 1080p, and get 60+ fps.

Edited by Your_dominus

And while it's a bit off-topic, the lack of same sex relationships and absolutely no clue as to when and even if they will be implemented, continue to ruin the story for me and outright boggle my mind.

Oh noes. A video game that doesnt explore gay relationships.

I know right?!

/UNSUB

It boggles some peoples minds, that you even find it an issue.

Shall we also demand clowns, poodles with hats, and mini cars that hold 10 people?

I mean why stop there?

Edited by Your_dominus

Yes and then he went on to say that those high res textures were only ever intended to be used for cinematics and that they have not removed high res from gameplay. This is completely false at best.

Bioware has released gameplay footage (not cutscene) using high res textures. For them to now say "oh those are just cinematic textures, never meant to be used in gameplay" is a complete 100% lie.

View Bioware's release of GAMEPLAY footage using those high res textures:

It's one thing to give an answer we're not going to like. It's far worse to out and out lie about it and blame us for not understanding how things work.

"During development and testing of The Old Republic, our priorities were to ensure the game looked great and performed well. In testing, we discovered that using our 'maximum resolution' textures on in-game characters during normal gameplay could cause severe performance issues, even on powerful PCs. There were a variety of possible options to help improve performance, but one that was explored and ultimately implemented used what is known as a 'texture atlas'."

The used hi res graphics at one point, including the video you posted most likely, until during the test (probably the beta test) they realized that they were breaking performance even on high end machines in certain areas (probably the fleet and warzones).

Additionally, they are going to fix this in 1.2. I think that is a positive outcome.

Edited by Fellthar