Why do people circle around like a spaz in PVP?

VioletZero

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't really make much of a difference, if any at all.

Are they just excited that they get to kill someone?

As a Scrapper my best abilities are from Behind, so I'm constantly strafing to get behind or to the side of you.

I've learned the hard way that this will never work. It is incredibly easy to keep an enemy in front of you.

lol orly... on my assassin I backstab people with no problems. That means I must obviously be behind them. Just because you think you keep them in front of you does not mean the game agrees (lag).

Some classes need to be behind their target for some attacks.

Completely false in MMOs without collision detection.

(hint: swtor does not have collision detection)

Are your hands broken or something. Spinning on the spot is just about the easiest things to do. Press right mouse button, move mouse OMG your facing the other way, if you are a keybinder you can also continue pressing buttons!!

lol orly... on my assassin I backstab people with no problems. That means I must obviously be behind them. Just because you think you keep them in front of you does not mean the game agrees (lag).

Some classes need to be behind their target for some attacks.

I still think that was a dumb idea. Really should have had auto facing and got rid of the backstab attacks all together. But it doesn't matter.

The last time someone did this to me was with a Vanguard who kicked my ***. Mostly because he was 8 levels higher than me. But I was just noting how odd it was how he was circling around me like a spaz.

Even funnier was when he thought Mako was me and circled around her. Heh

But it doesn't matter. I don't think I've ever been shotgunned by anyone who hasn't stunned me or came up from a cloak. Though, they've tried to get behind me, it is never difficult to turn my mouse to face him.

Edited by VioletZero

If you don't know why people circle around others in pvp, there's not much that can be said for your intelligence.

Also, the auto-face after using an ability only works if you were facing the enemy to start the attack. If the enemy is behind you, you'll get a not in sight message when you try to start the attack.

If you don't know why people circle around others in pvp, there's not much that can be said for your intelligence.

Also, the auto-face after using an ability only works if you were facing the enemy to start the attack. If the enemy is behind you, you'll get a not in sight message when you try to start the attack.

It's not hard to keep an enemy in front of you though.

There are 4 main reasons why players should move around unpredictably in PvP:

1. It makes you more difficult to target. While this sounds silly, it may actually give you the edge for a couple of seconds, which really does matter.

2. It makes you more difficult to knock back in a tactically advantageous position for the enemy. If you are fighting just over a ledge, or by a trap, and you stand still... you will be very easy to knock back into a position which puts you at a disadvantage. By moving around, you possibly deny your enemy the opportunity to use the environment against you.

3. Directional attacks. When playing a class that uses backstab type abilities, the player needs to try to move around towards the enemy's rear as much as possible.

4. Distraction. Again, it may sound a bit silly, but the small amount of brain power your enemy is actually applying towards rotating his camera to follow you may serve as an effective distraction, preventing him from activating his abilities as quickly as he should, or activating the right abilities (which is often the case with clickers and people who don't use efficient binds), and also it may distract the enemy from foreseeing the incoming reinforcements you have... or the fact that you're setting him up for a knockback into a trap or off a ledge.

If you're standing still and you make combat easy and less chaotic for your enemy, he will be able to more effectively gauge your actions in combat and react to them in a way that will counter you. Making combat more dynamic and fluid will sort of lure your enemy into making mistakes more often than not.

So while it seems redundent... there are actually some legitimate reasons why players should be moving around unpredictably in combat. Of course, some people just do it because they see other people do it, so they don't fully understand why and it actually takes away from any advantages they would have gained by doing it. But people who are good at PvP understand that movement is just as important as what abilities you're using. It's really a vital part of success in PvP. Movement, that is... not necessarily just looking like a spaz.

Edited by Maxxacre

The only time someone can prevent me from getting behind them is if I'm rooted or stunned. Might not be able to stay behind 100% of the time, but any time spent behind at all is time that you aren't getting attacked.

It doesn't really make much of a difference, if any at all.

Are they just excited that they get to kill someone?

Some classes like Scoundrel and Operatives need to be behind their target. With the amount of lag and fps issues many people get. Running around pretty much helps them be able to fire off their abilities.

Just standing there as a Scoundrel/Operative isn't going to help you much.

Suffice to say running around in circles does help, well at least for me it does. If the person doesn't move then I just stand there behind them though.

As others have said, some abilities require you to be behind the person in order to use them.

Additionally, if I'm behind you, you can't use your skills. You have to turn to face me before you can use them, so circling behind you and trying to stay behind you means I take less damage.

Then, you have the other reasons people have said: its distrating, offputting, makes you harder to target and control etc etc. People get used to a DPS rotation, so if I can interupt that by a second by being behind them it is likely to have a big impact on their DPS.

Now, of course, if someone is simply circling you continuously with no benefit (for example, if you really do turn as quickly as you think so that they are never behind you) or if they are stupid enough to circle behind you and then keep circling so they are back in front, then they are either stupid or new to the mechanics. However, circling (or, more specific, trying to stand behind an enemy for as long as possible) is a massive advantage in pvp

You do realize that even in the top of the world in WoW among players that dedicate their life to playing arena, getting behind eachother is still extremely common right?

So you claiming that "its not hard" is jsut absurd and the only thing it says is that youve never encoutered a player who is anywhere near good.

People get this from other MMO's like WOW and Rift. It harder to hit a target that is running around you and jumping in Rift aspecially so there are a lot of melee that run around in circles and jump around in order to try and make it harder for bads to pay attention and hit them.

Bad players get confused and have a hard time when another player is jumping and running around them in circles.

You will also see a lot of ppl that will strafe back and forth through you, lol.

The problem is this game has auto face even in PvP, i have noticed so it makes no differevce at all, but a lot of ppl are used to doing that way.