Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

Not a solution when it can occur accidentally also.

Instead they should fix the problem. A problem that seems to always happen with multiple rule set games.

The next thing to happen because of multiple rule set games will be the nerf occurring because of PvP that hurts PvE. Oh wait that has already happened.

Edited by Deyjarl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you all know that the development team is aware of this issue and is currently investigating different solutions for it. Your feedback is important and we want everyone to be able to have an enjoyable experience. We'll definitely keep you posted with the latest information on this.

Thank you

Thank you! Just now I'd given a buff to a flagged same faction player and ended up PvP flagged which Wasn't my intent, so I'm glad that this is being looked into.

Thank you! Just now I'd given a buff to a flagged same faction player and ended up PvP flagged which Wasn't my intent, so I'm glad that this is being looked into.

Okay, hold the damn phone. Having a flagged player stealth into your AOE is one thing, but specifically going through the trouble of targeting a friendly player and then hitting a buff button is something else entirely. Getting PVP flagged from that is exactly working as intended.

:(

Sorry man, that sucks. I only hope they'll get banned or the problem will get fixed soon.

Did she report it or at least fill out the "why I cancelled survey" ?

She didn't report it but while cancelling she did say that the sole reason of quiting the game were the possiblities of pvp-griefing on a pve-server. She loves the game (she is actually a starwars geek, thanks to her we have had a lot of evenings watching starwars again...and again...and again... :D), she just don't want anything to do with pvp.

Edited by Charliff

Okay, hold the damn phone. Having a flagged player stealth into your AOE is one thing, but specifically going through the trouble of targeting a friendly player and then hitting a buff button is something else entirely. Getting PVP flagged from that is exactly working as intended.

Not exactly. The buff should have done nothing until she manually flagged.

I know you really want people flagged, but this is silly.

Indeed, as it ofcourse should be. If you heal/buff a flagged player you are >>helping<< him in combat.

Not exactly. The buff should have done nothing until she manually flagged.

I know you really want people flagged, but this is silly.

You are giving a person an advantage in PVP on a PVE server. Ofcourse it should flag you!. It is like healing the person and not getting flagged, that is unfair and not as intended. How hard is that to understand?

Edited by Cygnific

I'd say the solution here is for your buff to not work on a flag player if you're not flagged....ditto with heals. I'd guess most people don't even look at a friendly's PvP status when they do drive by buffing.

You are giving a person an advantage in PVP on a PVE server. Ofcourse it should flag you!. It is like healing the person and not getting flagged, that is unfair and not as intended. How hard is that to understand?

He said "the buff should do nothing". Meaning "the buff should have no effect". That's what he's saying, that buffs and heals should have no effect on PvP flagged people if you're not PvP flagged yourself...

I had a 50 knight try to do this to me the other day. I know its not as bad as a stealther, but I just didnt use AOE (and its off to begin with on my companions) and after about 5 minutes he/she moved on.

You should'nt have to do that tho. Aoe damage is very handy in some situations and if you need to use it, you should be able to witout fear of being accidently flagged. That is the whole point of this thread.

He said "the buff should do nothing". Meaning "the buff should have no effect". That's what he's saying, that buffs and heals should have no effect on PvP flagged people if you're not PvP flagged yourself...

You are right. No idea why i didn't read it correctly. :confused:

You are right. No idea why i didn't read it correctly. :confused:

Don't worry about it, happens to everyone :D

It's good to know that Bioware is aware of the issue, and I'm curious to see how far their fix will go... Will it only cover AoE damage? Will it change the flagging system even further (as in not allow buffs/heals to be cast on flagged players unless we're flagged ourselves)? We'll see.

aye i hated it in wow and i hate it here. yup i rezzed a chap, he said thanks and went on his way and then in comes the giant level 50 from stealth and whomps me as i take a group because i didnt know the rezzed guy was pvp enabled.

totally sucks.

if i want to pvp, then i will do it myself. if i want to be ganked by people way over my level then i will tag myself as pvp-able.

i would like the option to not enable pvp if i help someone tagged as pvp or i happen to cast an aoe spell and then pvp enabled griefer decides to step in to it.

you want that, go join a pvp server. you dont want it, join a pve server ... dont see why i should be the victim because you want to pvp.

Fortunately, I personally have not been caught up in a similar situation. However, since my Sorcerer is now level 33 and running around on Tatooine, I need to be careful as I understand there is open pvp areas on the map. I know of only one that is actually marked by "signs" as you approach it.

There is another in the middle of an area that, as you start through it on your way to open up your map, all of a sudden red messages flash across the screen alerting you that you will be pvp flagged in...then the 10 second countdown starts. I inadvertently ran into this and immediately turned around and retraced my steps until I got out of it.

I would have liked to have known about it before hand (like it being marked on the map or something similar), but that was not the case. However, that won't fix the issue being discussed in this thread. If I am questing near one of these and get caught up in someone else's grief activity, I certainly would not like it one bit.

Edited by lynspottery

EDIT: never mind, I see you re-read it.

Edited by VorpalK

Fortunately, I personally have not been caught up in a similar situation. However, since my Sorcerer is now level 33 and running around on Tatooine, I need to be careful as I understand there is open pvp areas on the map. I know of only one that is actually marked by "signs" as you approach it.

There is another in the middle of an area that, as you start through it on your way to open up your map, all of a sudden red messages flash across the screen alerting you that you will be pvp flagged in...then the 10 second countdown starts. I inadvertently ran into this and immediately turned around and retraced my steps until I got out of it.

I would have liked to have known about it before hand (like it being marked on the map or something similar), but that was not the case. However, that won't fix the issue being discussed in this thread. If I am questing near one of these and get caught up in someone else's grief activity, I certainly would not like it one bit.

Yea map marking would be good. Having the quest tracker be a bit smarter and not try to take you across an enemy area would also be good.

Thats quite hilarious :)

Why play when you can't have fun and relax after a long day on work?

The ones that abuse the bugged PvP system should get a warning on the 1st time, 7 day ban (all servers) on the 2nd, 14 day (all servers) ban on the 3rd, 30 (all servers) day ban on the 4th and permanently ban from all PvE servers on the 5th time.

Too harsh?

I don't think so. If someone is preventing me from having fun on a PvE server by force flagging me into PvP, then they shouldn't be allowed to have any fun either.

Yea map marking would be good. Having the quest tracker be a bit smarter and not try to take you across an enemy area would also be good.
Now that is a good idea...but I do not think BW will implement something like this at this point as they currently have their plates full with a lot of really bad bugs and game-breaking issues.

Like broken quests, bugged doors, bugged flash points and the list goes on. I would rather BW fix these first before adding a quest tracking system that offers that.

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

eq2 never had this

This is especially bad for players that have no interest in PvP and trust me there are a lot of them. I mean, if you're ganking people playing on a PvE server, because they clearly have no interest in PvPing, that is lame x1000. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. If someone wants open world PvP ganking they should go roll on a PvP server or play overt all the time. But they don't, they are too scared to roll around overt and only flag if they can use it to gank someone and then they run back to their base and un-flag again. Weak. That's not PvP competition.

Perhaps you should reroll on a PVP server. I have found that my PVE experience has been interrupted only rarely by PVP activity prior to level 40, and when it has been, it has almost always been by an individual enemy around my level who was also questing in the area.

I have experienced almost no cases of groups of enemies or high level players interfering with my questing. Of course, you can find enemies if you head into their questing areas, and some of them will come into yours, but again, they will usually be around your level, so not really "ganking". I have never been attacked by an enemy while fighting mobs. They have always waited until I was done.EDIT: maybe everyone is nice because it is an RP-PVP server...

I suspect that most of the people that like beating up on unprepared PVE players lower level than them roll on PVE servers, so we don't get them on the PVP servers. In return, you will get some PVP action, but it will be mostly fair fights. (remember there is no penalty for dying to PVP).

I have discovered, however, that once you get to 40 or so, the PVP activity will pick up -- I have just started questing on Voss and have run into a lot of enemies. Of course, there are other friendlies around too, so they weren't all focused on me.

Roll on a PVP server. You might find you like it.

(This is my first PVP server since UO.)

EDIT: Obviously if you want absolutely no PVP, then a PVP server is not for you. But if you don't mind "fair" PVP, you may wish to consider it.

Edited by sjmc