Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Solution, Watch your AOEs and if the other player is flagged for pvp and you do anything to them in anyway it flags you as well.

Worst solution ever. The only time I should be concerned about watching my aoe's is on a group quest. I'm not going to comb the landscape like a paranoid lunatic before I use my most effective skills. I play this game for enjoyment, not to walk on eggshells because folks are more concerned with their good time over that of other players.

Solution, Watch your AOEs and if the other player is flagged for pvp and you do anything to them in anyway it flags you as well.

This is not a solution for two reasons. First and foremost, people roll on a PvE server because we don't want to have to have this situational awareness. If I wanted to have to watch out for other players and check my play style because of PvP then I would have rolled on a PvP server.

Secondly "watch your aoe" is only possible by not using AOE because there are stealth classes that can walk into it without you being able to see them.

happened to me... i was the flagged person randomly looking for datacrons(not my fault the chests in outlaws den were nice[that and i was in imp territory]). guy aoed me... thinking i was under attack i proceeded to attack him and kill him.(nearly dying from the encounter). We then stood a long way apart and then left our seperate ways :p

happened to me... i was the flagged person randomly looking for datacrons(not my fault the chests in outlaws den were nice[that and i was in imp territory]). guy aoed me... thinking i was under attack i proceeded to attack him and kill him.(nearly dying from the encounter). We then stood a long way apart and then left our seperate ways :p

At least it ended well :)

I'm on a pvp server, but I can see how that would be annoying. Letting a a flagged enemy wander into a non-flagged player's AoE really just leads to griefing.

However, if you heal or buff a flagged player, you should absolutely be flagged yourself. Otherwise you could just heal & buff someone in pvp combat, which isn't fair.

I'm on a pvp server, but I can see how that would be annoying. Letting a a flagged enemy wander into a non-flagged player's AoE really just leads to griefing.

However, if you heal or buff a flagged player, you should absolutely be flagged yourself. Otherwise you could just heal & buff someone in pvp combat, which isn't fair.

I'll agree with with this.

True, but one feasible solution that other games have done is to prevent healing and buffing of flagged players period, unless you've opted to allow auto-flagging. With auto-flag on, healing and buffing a flagged player flags the caster. With auto-flag off, the caster gets an error message when trying to heal/buff a flagged player.

I would prefer not to be able to affect flagged allies and avoid anything which automatically changes you into PvP mode. But I am one of those that thinks there should be NO open world PvP on a PvE server.

If someone PvP flags it should be intentional and they know they won't get help. If someone does want to help it takes no time at all to type /pvp.

Flagged players running into other's AoE to get THEM flagged, and then surprise-kill them. That sounds like totally something that should happen on a PVE server.

After all, PvP on a PvE server "must be consensual and in designated areas of the world." (quote from in-game server description)

Oh, wait..

This is really the truth. Non consensual pvp really has no business on a pve server.

There are a lots of PvP wannabes who can't cut it on a PvP server so they roll on a PvE server where their only hope of getting a player kill is to trick some casual PvE player into flagging so they can kill them.

Bads will be bads.

Make PvE servers require each party to flag in order to PvP and make the PvP servers true open world PvP.

That should NOT happen on a PvE server period. That is 'forced' PvP essentially. If I am not flagged for PvP I should not be able to damage an PvP flagged player.

There are a couple of reasons:

1) I dont want to be 'ganked' when I am out fighting PvE when someone intentionally gets into an AOE by me or my Companion.

2) As a non-flagged player I could attack a flagged player at any time and they wouldnt have any advanced warning. It gives the non-flagged player the advantage.

True, but one feasible solution that other games have done is to prevent healing and buffing of flagged players period, unless you've opted to allow auto-flagging. With auto-flag on, healing and buffing a flagged player flags the caster. With auto-flag off, the caster gets an error message when trying to heal/buff a flagged player.

I never thought of this, it would be a good way to implement it.

But I am one of those that thinks there should be NO open world PvP on a PvE server.

I support your cause overall and I agree with all those who have stated PvP should be 100% consensual on a PvE server at all times. However, I disagree with your statement above that I quoted.

You actually can have world PvP on a PvE server without interfering with PvE players. World of Warcraft does this and PvE players are able to go about their merry way. For example, in WoW, a bunch of players could flag themselves PvP on a PvE server and then go attack a city or town of the opposing faction. As long as PvE players do nothing toward the PvP players and as long as the PvE players don't flag themselves manually, the PvE players won't be affected at all.

I'm a proud carebear myself and I only PvP when I choose to do so, but eliminating world PvP (especially when it's 100% consensual) on a PvE server is something that I won't agree with. I believe in the more options, the better. This is just my friendly opinion.

Edited by BlackRifle

Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.

You might want to do a double check on the server your on because there are servers that are pvp/pve where you can focus on pve however at anytime you or someone else can either attack a player from the other side or they can attack you without notice or warning.

Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.

i agree with op i was traveling around tatooine doing my missions on a pve server and out of the blue im flagged pvp because i rode my speeder past someone who was pvp'ed this happend on the way to the heroic a jawa's worries or something like that mission fighting sand people yet stood and rode the ballon to get datacrons with a sith warrior and a bh toon beside my trooper and never had the pvp flag pop up so its definatly messed up

I don't understand why people don't like pvp. I mean come on. grow a pair.

It's just like how I don't understand how some players feel they must dictate to other players how to play the game. In other words, I never understood why some players feel that others should play the game a certain way.

Libertarian gaming FTW. What is fun to you does not automatically mean it will be fun to someone else. Just saying, not flaming.

lol just saw the no open world pvp on pve servers. Wth is illum for then :p

Some people just don't like it PvP, personally I have no problem with that. It's not like the OP rolled on a PvP server and is complaining about having to PvP.

I don't agree with no open world on PvE servers because as long as it's voluntary or optional it shouldn't be a problem. I actually want open world PvP, I'm just not into random stealth PKs or gank squads. You want to get some groups together and battle it out in the world, lets do it. I like my victims to be willing combatants.

Again, just to reiterate, we never had these problems in SWG (at least not the last 4 or 5 years). If you wanted to PvP you flagged or entered a PvP battleground. Players that did not want to PvP never had to and the only way to flag was to voluntarily flag yourself or enter an optional PvP designated area. If SWG can do it certainly SWTOR can.

Edited by MorgonKara

lol just saw the no open world pvp on pve servers. Wth is illum for then :p

Actually I played Neocron (A PvP MMORPG) for years so I do like PvP but I think it has it's place and personally this game isn't it for me.

So when they give you the option to pick PvP or PvE I was happy because everyone gets what they want. Or at least that is what I expected.

Happened to me on hoth yesterday. was fighting a group mob let out a aoe and bam stealth republic in my aoe next thing I know 3 of his buddies jump me with him and gank me. At least I took down the first one before his buddies could finish me I guess that is way they camped my corpse until I decided to log over to my republic alt and just blast how gutless they are pvp'ing on a pve server. Not that I mind pvp I will probably end up on a pvp server but just want to enjoy the game for a while without all the pvp drama first.

Absolutely dumb that this can happen on a pve server. I recall it happening in pve servers on WoW too. Especially when a new expansion hit, you'd get some guild of apparent pvpers sitting flagged by quest mobs and trying to get hit by aoes, and crowd your targeting while you looted (or get tab targeted) so you'd get flagged and they could gank you. And that is the reason I hate pve servers. You don't really get rid of pvp, you just get douchier people trying to do it because they can't hack it in a pvp environment, so they go somewhere to pick on people.

They should definitely do away with getting flagged off accidental aoe. Don't think they should get rid of open world pvp altogether though. Just enable some system that forces consent (several have been suggested), and turn off the ability for aoes to hit flagged targets from unflagged.

(as a side note, I play on a pvp server, so I'm not whining here)

Edited by Gnanika

I am all for 'locking' oneself as PvE only. Don't let me help or hurt others outside my group...thats why I picked a PvE server.

I don't need or want to PvP in this game...I have a wife to beat me about the head, don't need it in game too.