Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

I don't need or want to PvP in this game...I have a wife to beat me about the head, don't need it in game too.

Lol my girlfriend made a similar comment :p

Still would love to get something official on this. Can everyone also please flag this as being in the wrong forum, I really would prefer not to have to just repost it somewhere most people will see it.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me start by saying I hate PvP - So I play on a PvE server to avoid it. I am also not flagged for PvP.

So why on earth can I accidentally catch a wandering enemy player in my AoE and automatically get set into PvP mode?

Not only do I not want this (Hence finding a PvE server!) but it takes me by surprise and I am dead before I even realise what is going on! Then I have to wait 5 minutes for the flag to wear off, during which time I can't go and quest because I know there are invisible enemy players around?

How did this feature make it live?

Even worse I hear is that if a PvP flagged friendly walks into your heal patch then you are flagged for PvP automatically! This is absurd and needs changing quickly because as I am getting higher in level I am seeing more and more PvP flagged players and I do not want to be restricted to single target attacks for fear of accidentally hitting someone.

I can forgive the bugs but this is going to ruin the game for me if it isn't changed soon.

Yes, this is pretty much how it normally works. Damage a flagged player, you are flagged. Heal or buff a flagged friendly, you are flagged. Just gotta be careful out there. In the many games i have played, this has not been all that much of a problem. Just gotta play smart and keep your eyes open. I do agree, this is a pretty low way to flag someone.

Best of luck to you.

Edited by GetzMango

Yes, this is pretty much how it normally works. Damage a flagged player, you are flagged. Heal or buff a flagged friendly, you are flagged. Just gotta be careful out there. In the many games i have played, this has not been all that much of a problem. Just gotta play smart and keep your eyes open. I do agree, this is a pretty low way to flag someone.

Best of luck to you.

You should probably read the whole thread. We've already established that this is NOT how it is in "most" games and that on a PvE server you shouldn't have to "play smart and keep your eyes open" that's what PvP servers are for.

Big thank you to whichever mod moved the thread :)

Here is hopeing some visibility can maybe get this changed.

PvP flagging seems to spread like a virus :)

I was in a PUG the other day to do a 4+ Heroic, and one of the people in that group was PvP-flagged ... he'd accidentally got that way from doing AoE damage on something (he still wasn't entirely clear how it happened). As we started to do our quest our healer ended up PvP flagged, because they healed that person, then our off-healer got flagged because they threw in a heal to help the healer! I was chuckling about this, but still fell for it when we practically wiped (I did "disappearing act" as the last survivor of a bad pull) and I went to res the others. Doh!

Now we were all PvP enabled without warning, or even intention.

Worse thing was trying to turn the bloody thing off! I clicked the toggle (which isn't amazingly clear in its own right ... because even though PvP was on hitting the toggle then said "PvP manually turned on!", that isn't a toggle - toggle should turn off if on and on if off, but I digress) until it said 'PvP will turn off after 5 mins of non PvP activity in a safe area'. So I carried on with the quest and logged out in a cantina. Next day I logged on and PvP was still enabled. Is a cantina not a safe place? if not, where IS a safe place? Why can't I just say "turn off PvP" and it happen after 5 mins of non-PvP activity irrespective of where I happen to be?

I found that a cantina did count as a safe place, but you have to be logged in for those 5 minutes, so basically you need to go to the cantina, then go make a cup of tea!

What kind of game forces you to take a break just to avoid a mechanic that should never have been there in the first place.

I will be fair on them that this is the only thing I dislike about the game at the moment, but if it continues it will ruin it for me because the closer I get to 50 the more Republic players I run into and the more likely this is to happen again.

Edited by _Darkstar

Only after lots of QQ did they give in to that (dumb move IMO). The game was not originally designed that way.

Now explain to us why that is a dumb move? If I am playing on a PvE server so I can avoid PvP, why do I still need to worry about PvP and be careful not to get into PvP? That is just stupid, and every game that forces you to get into PvP when you didn't want to is a stupid design when people are playing on a PvE server.

Seriously, give me one legitimate reason why it is good to force someone to flag just because they used an AOE around someone who is flagged? If someone doesn't want to PvP then they shouldn't have to worry about accidently become PvP flagged.

My wife and I were also playing on Hoth yesterday on Canderous Ordo (PvE) and got both flagged for pvp. I think it was because my companion AoE healed us and suddenly we're beset by 4 imps just hacking us away. At first I didn't even know what was going on. So I revive, rest and sit down and they just hack at us again.

I even used /say I don't want to pvp you and got a "Oh?" as a response, but the beating continued. We quicktraveled back to the cantina and logged off. This left a bitter aftertaste after a fun evening. It is completely insane that you get pulled into pvp when you don't want to on a PVE server. I should have reported them for griefing and if it ever happens again, I most certainly will. I try to help lots of people IG and even playing on the Republic side I've helped Imps with datacrons and vice versa, but this is ridiculous. We couldn't do my wife's Consular class quest.

As other people posted before me, PvP should be voluntary for both parties. Anything else ought to be banned from PvE servers. To the 4 players on Hoth on Canderous Ordo last night, congratulations on being jerks.

I agree, this mechanic needs work.

To the person who said "name one MMO where this doesn't happen", uh...WoW. Several times as a mage I ran through an army of players AoEing, until I realized I did nothing because I wasn't flagged yet. In WoW, it was either built in or optional that AoEs do not flag you, only direct attacks or manual flagging.

Last night, I was on my bounty hunter attacking a droid, and a Jedi ran by and hit it once. Two seconds later I went to loot the body, and I was suddenly flagged! I'm not sure if he was hit by an AoE attack by me (the only one that would have worked at that point was my thermal detonator, as the target was already dead), or if I somehow got flagged by looting the body that an opposing faction member attacked. Either way I was able to run into an instance nearby.

Also from WoW, taking any regular travel path removed your flag as well...might be something to look at. Especially in a PvE realm, flagging should be totally optional.

About the healing thingy...

Imagine your friend fighting an enemy and you just walk in and start healing him without your pvp flag being turned on.

An enemy can't attack you and he can't even kill the guy he was fighting with because you are healing him.

PVP system is just fine, people will whine about anything

About the healing thingy...

Imagine your friend fighting an enemy and you just walk in and start healing him without your pvp flag being turned on.

An enemy can't attack you and he can't even kill the guy he was fighting with because you are healing him.

PVP system is just fine, people will whine about anything

Make it so that your heals and buffs won't work on the player, or that you will be flagged if you perform any such action on a friendly.

Problem solved.

My wife and I were also playing on Hoth yesterday on Canderous Ordo (PvE) and got both flagged for pvp. I think it was because my companion AoE healed us and suddenly we're beset by 4 imps just hacking us away. At first I didn't even know what was going on. So I revive, rest and sit down and they just hack at us again.

I even used /say I don't want to pvp you and got a "Oh?" as a response, but the beating continued. We quicktraveled back to the cantina and logged off. This left a bitter aftertaste after a fun evening. It is completely insane that you get pulled into pvp when you don't want to on a PVE server. I should have reported them for griefing and if it ever happens again, I most certainly will. I try to help lots of people IG and even playing on the Republic side I've helped Imps with datacrons and vice versa, but this is ridiculous. We couldn't do my wife's Consular class quest.

As other people posted before me, PvP should be voluntary for both parties. Anything else ought to be banned from PvE servers. To the 4 players on Hoth on Canderous Ordo last night, congratulations on being jerks.

Technically, "corpse-camping" is not considered griefing. If you were somehow forced into PvP, that could be considered griefing, but the fact that they continued to attack you repeatedly, even after saying you weren't interested in PvP, is not griefing...because you were flagged for PvP.

I definitely agree, though, that the flag tooltip could use more useful information, and how to clear the flag could be much better explained. On the plus side, the current mechanism has been beneficial to me at stopping a particular level 12 bitter in Ilum who, for some reason, is flagged...and since the bot never rests, he never loses the flag :D

Solution, Watch your AOEs and if the other player is flagged for pvp and you do anything to them in anyway it flags you as well.

Really? I chose to play on a PvE serve specifically not to engage in PvP, and not have PvP effect my gaming. But now you are telling me I need to adjust my gaming for PvP even though I specifically chose a server to not have to adjust my gaming for PvP.

The one and only reason why someone would want to keep the current system is because they are nothing more then a worthless griefer.

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

That's easy. Wow and Rift and Aion.

Have you even played any other MMOs?

Edited by monjiay

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

Hmm lets see, World of warcraft, Rift. Well that was easy... you're not automatically flagged if some random flagged player wanders into your aoe. The AoE is actually designed Not to do any damage to pvp flagged players, unless you yourself also are flagged.

In short if you were not flagged in those games you could AoE a flagged player all day for funsies and not do any harm. It really should be the same way here.

Although I doubt there is a quick fix to this as it seems the flagging system uses the same targetting setup as non hostile enemies. Which is silly when you think about it. If a player is flagged, they probably have hostile intentions.