Why oh why can I hurt other players if I am not PvP flagged?

_Darkstar

I started mmo's b4 there was an EQ .. so basically you had UO and in that back then it was 'leave town and watch your ***' .. and everyone dealt with it back then by banding together and kicking seven shades of shi .. umm, yeah, well .. they were told off thoroughly!!

Then UO changed to mimic EQ and since then games have got more and more 'solo' .. waiting for the new genre .. massively multiplayer online solo game

To solve the griefing problem it needs players to band together more .. hopefully :-)

Back then MMO's were still very much niche. You would not find 500,000 players in an mmo in those days ... heck that was quite some time before Broadband & the genre was very much like the Wild West ... it was still finding its feet. Had the genre not evolved it would have died out half a decade ago.

Even 9 years ago in Star Wars Galaxies you could not attack nor heal a 'Flagged' player unless you personally flipped the toggle. You had to go to a specific npc to flag yourself & there were enough warnings that you could not do this accidentally ... this was 9 years ago.

The days you are talking about have gone. There would not be the Millions of mmo players now had the genre remained as it was back then.

If you like to pvp, then that is what pvp servers are for. If you like to grief other players without their consent, then your days are numbered as more & more developers weed you out.

The genre has moved on. So must the players. PvP on a PvP server. PvE on a PvE server.

Except in SW:TOR where it will become Griefer's Heaven if not stopped now. Griefer's Heaven will only be around so long before the playerbase leave & the game shuts down.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no reply to my tweet, though they have replied to a few other questions which are much less important and have been answered in a million places already ...

I resubbed for this month but only to give BioWare a chance to reply to this thread, if they maintain a whole month of silence then I think that speaks for itself.

Still no reply to my tweet, though they have replied to a few other questions which are much less important and have been answered in a million places already ...

I resubbed for this month but only to give BioWare a chance to reply to this thread, if they maintain a whole month of silence then I think that speaks for itself.

My sentiments exactly! Exactly what I'm doing!

From what I'm seeing, it was brought up, and argued, many times in beta. And it never got changed, nor was any answer ever given by BW then either.

Sadly it looks like they must like it this way for some twisted reason. Heh, for all we know, some of the devs could be former UO PKs who never got over the trauma after being thwarted when they put in Trammel. lol.

But seriously, whatever their reasons for the cold shoulder on this, at the end of this month, if they still can't deign to give us any kind of answer, then I'm gone. This issue really is a game breaker for me.

Come on Bioware. A simple "hello," "goodbye," or "go to h***," would be a nice start. Would let us know where we stand at least.

If you see flagged players you should be paying attention and acting appropriately. I see no issue with this. If you start casting AoE's with them around, you're making a bad decision. They're hanging around flagged because they want PvP. If you don't, then don't hit them. Simple. I'm sorry but it's PvP and he's free to flag if he wants to, just as you're free to pay attention to what the heck you're doing and smartly avoid him.

Spoken like a true ganker.

I can see the OP's point and agree it is something that should be looked into. This can easily be exploited by someone who just wants to find people doing pve and stands in the way of their aoe attacks to get them flagged for killing.

It would be great if all these "leet...cough...retarded" pvpers would roll on a pvp server so me and my guild could stomp them in the dirt.

I hope they allow some transfers soon to bolster the numbers of republic players on servers with imbalances.

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged, anyone and anything can and will do damage to them. If you do damage to someone, you become flagged.

Rift. It has a feature that allows you not to effect enemy players AT ALL. So there you go, an MMO with this feature. Thanks for giving out your uninformed opinion.

1) pay attention to your surroundings

2) dont hangout where you saw a flagged enemies

3) avoid the global combat zone on the planet

4) join a guild that actually does more then socialize

and callem in to reverse gank .

5) learn to pvp as most pvp gear is better then drops

6) make your own gear from oranges and stay up on mods

7) dont do whine with out some bread and cheese :p

8) dont snivel in open chat as u will become a mark for all the griefers on the server

9) swg rip,rift yawn 8 bucks a month for socializing, city of hero's whats that.

10) run forest run :eek:

8) dont snivel in open chat as u will become a mark for all the griefers on the server

9) swg rip,rift yawn 8 bucks a month for socializing, city of hero's whats that.

All great tips on improving the fun factor for someone who doesn't loathe PvP enough to roll on a PvE server. However, since the OP is on a PvE server, an option made available specificaly for those that do not want to participate in PvP, every single point on your list becomes mute, void and utter rubbish.

I enjoy PvP and thus rolled on a RP PvP server, but seeing how I'm not clinicaly braindead, I have no problem understanding how something like this could be a great concern and a game killer for those who do not enjoy it and thus took the necessary steps to avoid it; i.e. rolled on a PvE server.

Are there realy people out there stupid enough to think that someone who dislikes PvP would still enjoy the playstyle required to not get ganked on a PvP server? What are you on?

"No, I absolutely hate PvP. What I love though, is to play as if I could get ganked in PvP any second. That's just how I am."

Stupid stupid stupid, stupid. Stupid stupid and stupid makes strupid stupid, but stupid also stupid with the stupid. Stupid.

Unfortunately, a flagged player of the opposing forces is damageable, that's simply how it works.

If someone is following you, hoping to get hit by an AOE so they can kill you, there is an easy way to make them go away. This works pretty much 100% of the time.

Find a safe spot and sit down. Do nothing till they leave. Griefers thrive on feedback, any kind of feedback. They also have an incredibly short attention span. I've done this a 100 times and never had to wait more than a minute for them to get bored and go find someone else to bother. Don't talk to them, don't emote at them, don't do anything other than simply ignore them.

This is the ONLY way to defeat a griefer

Or maybe, people on a PvE server shouldn't have to worry about all this in the first place? Naah, that's too logical :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, a flagged player of the opposing forces is damageable, that's simply how it works.

I refuse to just ACCEPT that though. It's either a bug that will be fixed, or it's intended. They need to let us know.

If someone is following you, hoping to get hit by an AOE so they can kill you, there is an easy way to make them go away. This works pretty much 100% of the time.

Find a safe spot and sit down. Do nothing till they leave. Griefers thrive on feedback, any kind of feedback. They also have an incredibly short attention span. I've done this a 100 times and never had to wait more than a minute for them to get bored and go find someone else to bother. Don't talk to them, don't emote at them, don't do anything other than simply ignore them.

Or report them for harassment and get them suspended or banned.

Once actions start to have consequences, scared little vermin like them show their true colors.

Actually any game worth a damn will sanction any griefers when they get reported. They will then change the mechanics to prevent said griefing in most cases.

For example they changed the PvP areas so you can't camp med-bays any more, and that was PvPers moaning about PvP!

Wow you can count to 10 but you can't read a thread...

To keep this short and simple, AoE on a PVE server should hit only PvE. Its a no brainer. If we wanted to hit the enemy as well, we would be on a PVP server. This issue should be fixed. When it comes to healing and buffing, just stay with blue name tags. I dont even klick on a green tag. if someone is dead, their info tag could have a pvp icon so we know if its safe to res. We should not get punished for being nice.

People who want this "bug" to be on PvE servers, why are you even playing there?? If you enjoy pvp why not play on pvp servers?

Solution, Watch your AOEs and if the other player is flagged for pvp and you do anything to them in anyway it flags you as well.

Solution: temp ban players who while flaged; cammo in an npc spawn camp on a pve server waiting for cross faction Aoe's

see what I did there?

EDIT you (and BW apprently) also need to re-read the rule-set thats in the tool tip for pve servers, that whole consentual thing...or else dictionaries have changed lately...

Edited by BMBender

Solution: temp ban players who while flaged; cammo in an npc spawn camp on a pve server waiting for cross faction Aoe's

see what I did there?

you (and BW apprently) also need to re-read the rule-set thats in the tool tip for pve servers, that whole consentual thing...

I'm going with perma-ban after the first offense. Their player metrics are apparently spectacular. From what went on with some of the bans a couple weeks ago, even the over worked and way behind GM staff should be able to go back to the "beginning of time" and start throwing retroactive bans out.

We'll see how funny the greifers think it is then.

PS: for those about to chime in on "but they won't do that, they want their subscription money" if they DON'T, they stand to lose the subscription money of those being victimized and those that object to the game mechanic working that way in the first place. Look up UO Pre-Trammel for an example of what happens when you let that crap go on too long.

Actually any game worth a damn will sanction any griefers when they get reported. They will then change the mechanics to prevent said griefing in most cases.

For example they changed the PvP areas so you can't camp med-bays any more, and that was PvPers moaning about PvP!

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier that this game is most definitely pvp-centric. Let the pvpers whine about something and it gets fixed lickety split. Pve issues that involve the pvpers can't even get a response, much less a fix.

Seems like every time I turn around in this game there is something that is trying to steer me into pvp, whether it's this issue or "accidentally" running into areas that flag you & not enough time to get back out because either you're on a speeder and you're too far in or you get immediately stunned & killed before you can get out after seeing the red message. Then you're flagged when you rez and have to sit in a cantina for 5 minutes. And oh no, you can't just log out to wait it out. Even if you wait til the next day to log back in, you're still flagged til you sit out your 5 minutes. Or quests that take you through pvp areas and the work-around is so obscure that only the most determined will ever find it.

edit to add: I don't feel that on a PVE server it should be a constant effort to avoid pvp and remain unflagged.

Edited by VarnieTsk

Name an MMO where catching an enemy player in an AoE, even if you were targeting an enemy with it first, does not throw you into PvP mode. Go ahead.
WoW. Rift. EQ.

Can you name some where catching an enemy player in an aoe puts you in pvp mode? I'm not actually familiar with any that do.

That's just how it works. If they're flagged and you're not, you can't do damage to them and therefore don't get flagged.

yes, this should be fixed ASAP. I have no interest in PvP and rolled on a PvE for this reason. If people in PvE servers wanna do PvP, they are the Warzones.

Griefers in PvE servers who act like this are simply put cowards, losers in RL who need some easy kills to wide their deficient ego.

BW should definitely implement a fix as in Rift where, if NOT flagged for PvP, there is no way for you to get damage a character of the other faction.

WoW also fixed that a long time ago because people found it obnoxious and complained.

No matter how careful you are, you can't help it if someone stealths into the AoE you set down before you knew there was anyone around.

Having to watch your back and adjusting your playstyle to account for PvP encounters is normal on PvP servers. However, people who rolled on PvE servers did so precisely because they wanted to avoid world PvP. Shoving world PvP down their throats and forcing them to gimp their playstyle in case there is a griefer around only makes the game stressful and unenjoyable for them (and defeats the point of PvE servers).

Well said.

Or report them for harassment and get them suspended or banned.

Once actions start to have consequences, scared little vermin like them show their true colors.

That seems to be the correct response; report them for exploiting a bug, griefing and harassment.