Gunslinger: The Class That Shouldn't Have Been

thechimera

And Kyle Katarn... even though he becomes a Jedi lol. Why is it that other than the characters in the movies, the awesome non-force people become Jedi? Corran Horn... awesome pilot... turns jedi, Kyle Katarn, BAMF turns Jedi in DF 2 i know there are more, but yeah it seems like any cool non-jedi character has to become a Jedi in the EU. I will always love my General Wedge Antilles though

Sorry for my tangent.. not trying to derail thread.

yeah but corran was always written like that it was the hidden secret that even he didnt realise same with his force use persuading stormtroopers not to see him on the lusankya just by praying they wouldnt...so corran was always a jedi..he just didnt know it :)

plus he doesnt go full time jedi till waaaay after the wars are done :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah but corran was always written like that it was the hidden secret that even he didnt realise same with his force use persuading stormtroopers not to see him on the lusankya just by praying they wouldnt...so corran was always a jedi..he just didnt know it :)

plus he doesnt go full time jedi till waaaay after the wars are done :)

He was always force sensitive, but the Jedi are members of an order. he was never a Jedi. He trained to be one, but didn't finish.

He was always force sensitive, but the Jedi are members of an order. he was never a Jedi. He trained to be one, but didn't finish.

actually he did...the message of I jedi was there are many differant paths for jedi to take and that corelllian jedi have always been differant ..but even passing that one by , hes a fully fledged jedi knight and member of the order come the yuzong vong invasion

Gunslinger is fun to play, but he just dont delivers, perfomance of gunslinger is average. There are other classes which just outperform gunslinger in any way, in damage, cc, defence. Where are those huge numbers which must come from pure dps class? Where are those? Why support class do 3 times more than us, and he dont need to sit in cover to do that? What we get from getting in cover? Skills which must be channeled? While we get in cover, cast skill, target is already gone. By being immobile we should get huge buff, but where is it?

As i said before class is fun, but gimp...

This is my biggest problem with GS, In both pve and pvp there are other classes/AC that can out do a GS in every shape way form. I think this is why there are so few 50 GS people realize hey... this guy is putting up same numbers as me but he can do it while running/healing/ has better escape options etc etc.

This is my biggest problem with GS, In both pve and pvp there are other classes/AC that can out do a GS in every shape way form. I think this is why there are so few 50 GS people realize hey... this guy is putting up same numbers as me but he can do it while running/healing/ has better escape options etc etc.

the thing about that is, you say there are other classes that are just better than GS. but the real question should be, are GS broken to the point where you can't clear content? if the answer is: no. then it really shouldn't matter if your top dps or not. if your with a group, and you and your group clear hard mode, nightmare mode, then who does what really shouldn't play a part in it. as long as your doing your best and not hitting low dps because your a doosh, and the group is still killing content, should that not be an end to that conversation? there are far to many elitists that forget the primary aim of a game is fun, and so far i have to say i find a GS fun to play

i understand why this is a different matter in PVP.

Edited by grandmthethird

I will say, from the point of asthetics, the ONLY thing that bothers me about the Smuggler is the fact that you're a space cowboy running around shooting things. When someone gets close, what do you do? Shoot them in the face? NOPE, you smack 'em with your gun. That big droid is barreling towards you and you want to stop them. What od you do? Shoot them in the face? NOPE, you kick them in the nuts. You've got a shot gun hidden in your jacket and you want to crush someone. What do you do? NOTHING cause you're not behind them.

It does, comedically, boggle the mind a bit.

Another use of cover by Han is during the firefight in the detention center, MAJOR use of cover, hell its the only thing that kept them alive, and of course diving for cover to get into the ventilation shaft... and in the books he feels more like the Gunslinger with 1 blaster.

If anything though, Han would be a Dirty Fighter over anything else.

I am really hating how people compare the classes to just the lore from the movies... there is SO much more lore in the universe, from comics, books, games, tv series, specials... I honestly think it would be almost impossible to assimilate all the lore.

Some things are like directly from the movies though, in terms of abilities.

Remember the fight between Darth Maul and Qui'gon Jin? Remember when they get seperated by the red forcefield in the middle of their fight and then to rest Quigon Gets on his Knees and meditates and Darth Maul starts pacing back and forth with a mean look on his face (supposedly his way of healing) Seathing. Those are the 2 exact abilities SWTOR took as the out of combat heals for the Jedi Knight and for the sith inquisitor. Meditate for the Knight and Seathe for the inquisitor. I thought it was pretty cool, especially the seathe it looks the EXACT same as when darth maul did it, even down to the look on your face lol.

Edited by Samborino

The Smuggler is actually a mix between Han Solo, Lando Calrissian Lando is know for those goofy capes as well as all of the flirting. Han is more scoundrel and Lando is more gunslinger.

Alot of canon had to be sacrificed to make the game balanced and playable. For instance a Jedi would never wear heavy armor and blaster bolts are never blue, ion guns are.

Remember before you go bashing the hey its not starwars. Everything bearing the starwars name has to be approved at the Lucas Ranch.

As for me personally Han was my favorite character in Star wars. I dont feel let down. I feel in most star wars everyone wants to run around with a light saber. I am a little upset that there is no neutral force choice. What a true smuggler would be. But this has been talked about before.

Just pointing out that blaster bolts are most certainly blue in the prequels and TV show, used by the clone troopers. And that's G canon.

:D

I wonder how many in this thread know Han Solo started his career as an Imperial Pilot.

His "moves and ways" are more of the unorthodox street fighter, which is really what the class does, not what "Han Solo did".

The real crime is dressing them up as characters from Tombstone.

No no, he's 100% correct. Comparing a class to their origins on the movies is how this should totally be done. I mean remember that clutch heal Yoda gave Luke when he was fighting Darth Vader? Or when Luke taunted the Emperor so Vader could get some burst dps off on him. These are serious issues we should be totally concerned with guys. Smuggler's should be exactly like Han Solo.

First, you can't judge all smugglers by Han Solo. You know they wrote Star Wars books? Talon Karrde (prob the coolest smuggler of all) being a huge character in the novels. And then there's that smuggler (forget her name) that broke the Mandalorian blockade of the hyperspace lanes. Lando used to be a smuggler before going legit. Han wasn't the only smuggler.

As far as iconic things for smugglers: the best conversation in the game, profit and self-preservation as a way of life. A BH barely uses its jetpack in-game. Smugglers use their wit & charm throughout.

As for sneaking or not skeaing: Yes, Han charged the troopers on the Death Star. After he stealthed around disguised as a trooper. He snuck around Endor, hunting for the backdoor to the shield generator, he scrapped hand-to-hand with speeder troopers....Need I go on? No....

Smugglers are a completely appropriate class in SWTOR.

Personally, I wanted to roll an Imperial Agent, moreover a Sniper. However, I don't like the way the Empire community acts ICly and frankly, I'm too high level in legacy to go to another server now. My compromise was rolling a Gunslinger...

Well okay, I rolled a Scoundrel first, but the healing was nothing like Druid healing from WoW, so I gave Gunslinger a shot...

The class storyline does not disappoint but the actual character does. I'm running around with TWO blasters pretending I should be able to hit as far as a Sniper Rifle. Okay, I'll say right now if the character was using one pistol and had a good iron sight or scope, he could actually pull it off for 35 meters. Instead, I am using TWO blasters. This makes no sense considering both of them have a kickback as well as the lack of focus or accuracy from carrying two weapons and discharging both at the same time. The second blaster is not optional and I can't put a blaster shotgun to replace it for the sake of stats, so I'm forced to act like I can do something that's ridiculous. I also don't like my ship, it's much bigger then I'd have chosen for a transport...

This line is for those of you who think I'm going to QQ about Cover. Guess what? I LOVE Cover, because I'm not running around as though my butt just lit on fire. For those of you who hate cover, roll a different class, the Gunslinger/Sniper was BUILT ON IT! And you really have no idea how much I HATE people that run around like complete idiots in PVP. It takes no skill to do it and everyone does it as though they were paid to do it. Guess what? You can run around, it don't really make you good at the game.

I do like the storyline though, although I feel like every woman in the universe, save Jedi of course, are desperate for a piece of me. I mean... literally half of the women I meet I can (and usually am forced to) sleep with. The ones I do want to sleep with however, have no real interest in me aside from using me. I LOVE the voice acting and the character feels a lot like how I'd act in that situation, but the story doesn't portray the battle cut scenes right...

Edited by Meluna
rude

Speaking as someone who was set on having a smuggler before the class was even put up in the media trailers, it's the only class I've leveled up to 50 so far and I just loved it. There were parts that made me laugh

"Trust me I'm a Jedi!" - Guss

I really really enjoyed it.

I'm a rper, and I played a rogue with a certain personality that changed for the worst as my friends and I were running out of RPing material in WoW. Finally I just stopped playing WoW a year before SWTOR came out, and I wanted my rogues orignal personality back.

Well, Smuggler that instantly hit me because my rogue she was a smuggler/outlaw of the WoW universe black market trading, sneaking around and spying on the Stormwind Guard for juicy details....

So I took my rogues personality and put it into someone completely new.

Meet Avidea Snocami one of the thousands of wanted women in the Star Wars universe, chased for the bounty on her head every day.

As in my Wiki page, she is supposed to wear light armor, so the cover mechanic is perfect for her, I love pressing my middle page scroll button on my mouse and finding myself rolling into cover, or kneeling down in cover as I do my keybind sequence and just knock those PvPers down from a high vantage point, or watch as Akavvi just tears my NPC enemies down.

I am just in love with Avidea, she is and probably will remain my favorite character. I'm trying to level up others, but their storys just don't reach up to par with the smugglers.

How I ended up gunslinger-

I made a character that I never intended to be my main and fell in love with it...

There are issues I don't find any of them game breaking at the moment.

If you don't like it then it's wrong class for you.

same i just started it for fun and now its my fav character. mind you i can def see being discouraged in pvp, but ive managed to do well enough in warzones to enjoy myself.

My favorite character, like a lot here, is Han Solo and the Gunslinger class has been anything but a let down. I loved it from the get-up-and-go to the end. My Captain Tarjaa is by far my most favorite character I`ve ever played in an MMO, maybe in a game ever.

I love the story, I love how the class plays; not a fan of the outfits, no, hide helm and pulled my purples from the crappy looking cape thing to my sweet white coat made it all okay. Plan on rolling smuggler again, playing as a Scoundrel this time, loved the story that much.

Have tried the Jedi, Agent, Trooper, Warrior, Bounty Hunter, and Inquisitor, while I liked the Warrior and the Agent, the smuggler was my best fit. Felt the most Star Wars to me.

Han was the man! Brave good with a blaster always looking for the next score. The shooting of greedo in the cantina was a total throw back to an old.western. he was the perfect gunslinger he just didn't use two blasters. I love my 'slinger i like to get in kind of close do some big damage then drop into cover. In close the blaster spray can hit more baddys accurately it seems. I flirt with every female i can and take any job for enough money as long as im not helping slavers or cold bloded murder. Buckshot has a code like most gunslingers of old .west legend and Hon Solo himself. That is why Han did some incredibly brave/foolhardy things for the people he respected or for the credits and it is what made him such an endearing character. I wont wear a cape because i dont like them but you dont habe to anyway. Get the right upgrades for.your armor and build up the set you like.

+1

Gunslingers own, but people who don't know how to play them like to moan. A lot.

Yeah, but on the other hand, I had gotten burned out 'cause I had nothing to really do at end game with my GS and was tired of the general quests, and just couldn't punch through them for the story on my alts. Blah blah blah, took a few months off.

Log back in, my GS Sharpshooter who had been fine before was now buffed all over the place. I was taking down accidental double pulls while forgetting half of my abilities.

What I'm trying to say here is that I've grown a fond appreciation for people who don't know how to play GS and whine about it.

Sniper was my main until I just got over the aesthetic. Switched to gunslinger and loving the entirety of the AC. Also I don't think cover is broken, maybe awkward at times but I can use it to my advantage. I think the trick is to bind it to a key you can toggle quickly. With the the very noticeable fix to ability delay in 1.2 the cover to damage time seems nearly instant now.

• 1 month later...
I think there's some big problems with the Gunslinger - and with the Smuggler class in general.

First off, let's look at the origins of the class. It's effectively based off one character from the movies - Han Solo.

Now, what do you we see Han doing in the movies?

Does he ever fire two blasters at once? Does he sneak around stealthily or actually state his opposition to sneaking? In A New Hope he charges into a group of Stormtroopers, scaring them with his ballsy bravado. In Empire Strikes Back, he goes out looking for Luke despite incredible danger to himself. At no point in the movies does he do most of the things that the Scoundrel or Gunslinger does.

Now, if you look at other classes, they're based on more than one character. There's plenty of Bounty Hunters, Jedi and Sith to draw upon. Lots of Troopers. The Agent is the odd one out, but everything about them seems to work better. I mean, you can believe they're trained in knife-fighting or sniping, kitted out with the best weapons. You can believe a vibro-knife could pierce armour and cause massive internal injuries. Clocking someone around the head with a blaster? Kicking them in their armoured groin? Not so much. As for "sniping" with two blasters... the Aimed Shot animation looks stupid, and you're supposed to believe that blasters have the same range as a sniper rifle? Really?

The other big problem when it comes to wanting to play the class from a lore point of view... or even a fun point of view is this: Smugglers - especially Gunslingers - have nothing remotely iconic.

Jedi get force leap, push, lightsabers, throwing stuff around with their mind. Sith get lightning, lightsabers, etc. Bounty Hunters get jetpacks with more fun abilities than I can be bothered to list. Troopers get huge guns, orbital strike etc. Agents... well, they get to be James Bond in space.

Gunslingers get two guns. And cover.

Cover, which of course is buggy, laggy, easy to spot in PvP... and turns you into a static turrent. In warzones this is useful - well, I should say, in one warzone this can be useful - actually, on one of the objectives in that warzone, it can be useful. The central Alderaan objective... has some balconies where you can hide and plink people for a few seconds before getting ganked. The other Warzones require everyone to constantly move... so that's kinda screwing you with your little blue shield.

Everyone knows about the problems with cover, so I'm not going to dwell on it. Finishing up... I'd have to add that so far, I've found the Smuggler story to be pretty boring with some woeful voice acting - but that's a problem with most of the Republic classes (Consular = yawn) and part of the reason why there's such a big imbalance at the moment. As for gear - capes and hats? Okay, the hat could've been cool... if it was a cowboy hat. Instead it's some sort of weird Zorro thing with a little headwarmer underneath. What... the... hell where they thinking? And okay, Lando wore a cape, so I guess that's where they got it from. But I maintain that capes look ridiculous on... well, anyone in SWTOR except Sith.

Anyway, what attracted you to this class? Did you want to be like Han? Enjoy the dual blasters? Do you feel let down?

actually i was basing my smuggler, dåsh rendar off of...dash rendar...my main problem with it is the pistols having same range as snipers and that im gimped if i try to really do dash rendar by using 1 pistol.