datacrons, a bad idea?

Bonchri

How ridiculous.

You can play through the game just fine without getting a single datacron. All they do is make it a little easier.

The game does not 'force' you to do something you don't want to do.

Of course it does. Not getting the Datacrons must be considered a serious impediment to any kind of competitive play, unless they're not taken into account during it. Which would just make the entire system even more pointless.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How ridiculous.

You can play through the game just fine without getting a single datacron. All they do is make it a little easier.

The game does not 'force' you to do something you don't want to do. Collecting the datacrons is a choice that each player has to make. So what if they're difficult to come by? Part of the fun is in just getting to them. Why should the devs change the game just to accommodate a few whiny players who don't want to invest the time and effort for the reward? Heck, if you want it easier, why not just ask them to hand them to you at character creation; 'here you go, you made a character, here's your free stat bonuses."

As someone once said, 'The problem lies somewhere between the keyboard and the chair."

Bottom line: If you want them then accept the challenge, stop complaining, and get them. If you don't want them, stop complaining and ignore them.

you're obviously not FORCED to do it by definition, but some people (you might call them hardcore) definetly feel they have to if it increases your characters performance even slightly, it might not be the majority playerbase but the fact is this is a necessity for some people because of the nature of the bonus

I like the idea, but I don't like how it was implemented. The datacrons feel more like a chore to me, for example...the blimp ride.

I would have rather the datacrons be something you could stumble across through your travels and not some task that requires multiple people with specific items doing a special event.

For example, the Dromund Kaas one up on that ledge was really cool.

I'm sorry but maybe I'm missing the point

If you dont want to\cant be bothered to get them then dont

the perk is a reward for taking the trouble to get them surely

if they were easy it would be pointless

Here is the thing... I think the OP was trying to say that, instead of being rewarded for overcoming a true challenge, you are doing something that is just tedious, not "difficult".

"Difficult" infers that there is some degree of challenge, on your own part, to getting this item. Since this is an MMO, that "challenge" actor is thrown out the window by the almighty Wiki. All known Datacron locations are stored on the web, making it a simple Google search away. The "challenge" of finding these items is gone. It is now a chore to find the items. There are no bosses to face or trials to overcome, just balloons that you have to wait 45 minutes for (Tatooine datacron in the dessert...)

Edited by AHawtRhino

Of course it does. Not getting the Datacrons must be considered a serious impediment to any kind of competitive play, unless they're not taken into account during it. Which would just make the entire system even more pointless.

You are still not forced to get them. If you want to play competitively, then that is your choice. No one is twisting your arm and screaming "GET THESE! GET THEM NOW!" No one is making you play competitively. If YOU have made the DECISION to play competitively then you've accepted certain prerequisites.

I'm sure it has been brought up before, but the implementation of datacrons was a bad idea. A lot of people don't like the game play to get them but their perks are substantial enough to compel players to go after them. It's not a good business decision to compel customers to do something they don't want to do. The solution would be to offer alternative ways to get datacrons, for example the completion of flashpoints or heroics. Players could then go for them based on their personal playing preferences. Another idea would be to lower the datacron perks to where players don't feel like they need them.

This was brought up over the last year in beta and even until the very last week by a small few...

Here is the real truth of the matter and you really need to come to terms with it. Now you have to think of this... like anything else in the game or life as it is.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET THEM... it is that simple.. there is nothing forcing you to do anything in this game if you do not want to or need to.

You are thinking the wrong way. To reply to your comment.. A LOT MORE people enjoy finding them, hunting them down... doing the mini quest perse to get them and use them. They are a minor perk that you can CHOOSE TO GET much like a piece of gear or item in the entire game.

There is NO NEED FOR A SOLUTION WHEN NOTHING IS BROKEN WITH THIS SYSTEM. Do not ask to ruin something because you are too lazy or do not WANT to go find them yourself.

Do not rob anyone else in the game of getting them, because you feel you should have them handed to you in a instance or something of that nature. These are obtainable (mostly) solo -- SOME yes you need to be in a group.. 2 - or even some instances and even some you have to be quick and in decent gear to take a hit or you must... NOW get this.. I will say it... EFFORT to get.

SO while I am sorry you do not feel the need to apply effort to get something in the game... the majority when in testing over the last year felt they were a fun extra little bonus while minor stat and fun to get.

You need to get away from thinking like WoW or Rift... etc.. Use the concept of "It is ok to have to apply some effort to get get something in a game". Because for MOST of us it is fun and something else to do.

Edited by Iskareot

You are still not forced to get them. If you want to play competitively, then that is your choice. No one is twisting your arm and screaming "GET THESE! GET THEM NOW!" No one is making you play competitively. If YOU have made the DECISION to play competitively then you've accepted certain prerequisites.

So, basically you either make the decision to not play half of the game in perpetuity or you get the Datacrons.

Where's the choice?

Edited by TheTurniipKing

wow people like the OP won't be satisfied until you do nothing but sit in town with instantaneous transportation to all instanced dungeons, where every single thing you could possibly want in the game is in those instanced dungeons.

That is NOT the point of a mmo!

Tedious tasks are not healthy in any game. Datacrons are definitely tedious. As for people who say it's not "necessary" to get them as it is optional, what if there was an "optional" not necessary item that gave you +100 to every stat, or +3 new abilities? You bet you'd "have" to get it, even though it's not "necessary".

Not getting it causes you to have a stat penalty after adding it all up. You're only hurting your progression by not getting it, hence it is indeed a need if you're wanting to be competitive in the game (which is a major thing for many players).

Now, a challenge is good...but half hour "sit in one spot" waits is not.

Edited by RpTheHotrod

you're obviously not FORCED to do it by definition, but some people (you might call them hardcore) definetly feel they have to if it increases your characters performance even slightly, it might not be the majority playerbase but the fact is this is a necessity for some people because of the nature of the bonus

The necessity is in the person's mind. It still comes down to a conscious choice made by the player: spend the time to get them or not.

The datacrons are fine

The retarded jump mechanics are not however

This. The datacron on Taris where you complete Enclave raid was a ***** because of the jump mechanics. If you miss the jump you died. I died 8 times.

Sometimes though the datacron can lead you to such great views and really odd spots.

This is the Endurance +4 on Hoth datacron. Was fun figuring it out. Someone chat mentioned it while I was doing my class quest and I spent about an hour looking for a way to get to it. I refuse to use a guide but if someone tells me ingame I don't mind.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

wow people like the OP won't be satisfied until you do nothing but sit in town with instantaneous transportation to all instanced dungeons, where every single thing you could possibly want in the game is in those instanced dungeons.

That is NOT the point of a mmo!

There are better ways to handle this sort of thing than a permanent stat boost.

If they were to remove ALL the permanent stat boosts, and replace them all with matrix shard pickups from every Datacron, that's a far more interesting mechanic in an MMO.

Edited by TheTurniipKing

So, basically you either make the decision to not play half of the game in perpetuity or you get the Datacrons.

Where's the choice?

You can still play the other half. You can still be decent at it too. Perhaps not top-dog, but if you're not willing to put the time and effort in to getting what you need to be in that spot you don't deserve it in the first place.

Oh, and the choice is right here: "basically you either make the decision"

Here is the thing... I think the OP was trying to say that, instead of being rewarded for overcoming a true challenge, you are doing something that is just tedious, not "difficult".

"Difficult" infers that there is some degree of challenge, on your own part, to getting this item. Since this is an MMO, that "challenge" actor is thrown out the window by the almighty Wiki. All known Datacron locations are stored on the web, making it a simple Google search away. The "challenge" of finding these items is gone. It is now a chore to find the items. There are no bosses to face or trials to overcome, just balloons that you have to wait 45 minutes for (Tatooine datacron in the dessert...)

This is a matter of perspective. I admit in beta I was hoping they would have random spawn points and they would show up in random places, while sure sooner or later they could be mapped still the idea of that was sound.

As for part of it being something tedious... again a matter of perspective. I have enjoyed finding them and getting them over the last year for the most part and really they do no harm where they are.

The problem is we will always a small group not like something the masses do. I realized so much of that in beta... where you would have 10 people say they are fine and 1 say they felt it was too hard or not fair to have a stay increase for someone find them.

I hope the OP sees the game a bit different and realizes that it is a small thing and he can choose NOT to do it.. or just pass on it. I mean really there is no rule or reason he has to do anything in the game.

This is really no different then getting gear or obtaining a item in the game. CHOICE... it works.

If they were to remove ALL the permanent stat boosts, and replace them all with matrix shard pickups from every Datacron, that's a far more interesting mechanic in an MMO.

Agreed. Permanent stat boosts are huge, even if in small amounts. You are literally forcing the competitive crowd to do tedious chores. Shards, a title, and perhaps a vanity pet and the like would be better suited for it.

Wrong... why? What logic is this based on?

There is nothing wrong with a minor stat increase? Why are you taking SOMETHING OUT OR AWAY vs leaving it in?

YOU DO NOT have to look for them there is no rule that says you do?

I do NOT want to look for a funny colored crystal and you may? SO You want me to tell you that you SHOULD NOT be able to find that crystal or even gear?

Ok... fine then.. I do not feel you should be able to get the GEAR or ITEM you want because it was too hard for me to get in a instance myself.

I do not think that mech should be in a MMO where you have to actually apply effort to get something... easy or not.

>? Logical right?

No flawed logic is flawed. This is because the Matrix shards represent stat boost objects. No real difference, one is instant the other you have to run back and combine. BFD.