Is swtor a real mmo?

mogarrr

I think what we have here is a very well designed and developed single player game. BW did what BW does the best that is make a very well made single player game with cool story line, nice graphics and enjoyable pve play.

But swtor does not feel like a mmo at all. I am in a guild of hardcore pvpers, I play on a RPPvP server. Yet I spend days without even logging into vent or feel the need to talk to my guild mates. Because there really is no need while you are leveling up and the game doesn't require or encourage you to interact with anther player at all.

That being said I think the game is still pretty cool and BW still have a lot of time to implement end game content to make the game feel like a mmo. Just please get to work.

I think what we have here is a very well designed and developed single player game. BW did what BW does the best that is make a very well made single player game with cool story line, nice graphics and enjoyable pve play.

But swtor does not feel like a mmo at all. I am in a guild of hardcore pvpers, I play on a RPPvP server. Yet I spend days without even logging into vent or feel the need to talk to my guild mates. Because there really is no need while you are leveling up and the game doesn't require or encourage you to interact with anther player at all.

That being said I think the game is still pretty cool and BW still have a lot of time to implement end game content to make the game feel like a mmo. Just please get to work.

Ats cause its an MMORPG, not an "MMO". ;p

Let me just give one example, in every game you NEED others to do pve, but in swtor everyone have pets, you get a tank pet to tank for you a healer pet to heal for you and dps pet to dps for you. So there really is no need to join gps. Flash pts and heroic 4s require groups but you level way faster without ever doing them. PvP is a bit of a joke atm.

Anyway if you don't get it you don't get it. I have played AC,DAoC,WAR,WoW and few other mmos this is the first one I played that feels like a single player game to me.

Let me just give one example, in every game you NEED others to do pve, but in swtor everyone have pets, you get a tank pet to tank for you a healer pet to heal for you and dps pet to dps for you. So there really is no need to join gps. Flash pts and heroic 4s require groups but you level way faster without ever doing them. PvP is a bit of a joke atm.

Anyway if you don't get it you don't get it. I have played AC,DAoC,WAR,WoW and few other mmos this is the first one I played that feels like a single player game to me.

So you're talking about leveling up?

And you're saying WoW requires you to join a group for leveling up?

:rolleyes:

I played wow at launch, I remember fighting people at level 20 zones that lasted hrs. I also remember needing gps for quests. Sure later on you can blow through the low level content after they nerfed it, but by them you had real pvp which means you needed gp for that.

you serious? I am always in vent with friends doing group missions flashpoints or warzones while lvling.

Did you not know about any of this stuff?

And +1 for fishing, every MMORPG should have fishing. My only real complaint so far.

I played wow at launch, I remember fighting people at level 20 zones that lasted hrs. I also remember needing gps for quests. Sure later on you can blow through the low level content after they nerfed it, but by them you had real pvp which means you needed gp for that.

I levelled my rogue to level cap in WoW mostly solo due to my playtimes not meshing well with my friends. Then I levelled two alts to cap because I knew how to play the game by then. This is all right during the heady days of launch alllll the way up to Burning Crusade.

WoW made soloing easier than EQ did.

in eq and the earlier mmos you grind mobs at spawns which means you end up meeting other ppl at these pts. It's not until wow that the whole grind xp system disappeared. Sure grind mobs is boring but I have meet a lot of friends while doing it over the years.

I spend days without even logging into vent or feel the need to talk to my guild mates. Because there really is no need while you are leveling up and the game doesn't require or encourage you to interact with anther player at all.

Mm, from a realistic point of view, the game doesn't really affect the feeling of talking to others, the same as other MMO's can feel.

Because there really is no need while you are leveling up and the game doesn't require or encourage you to interact with anther player at all.

Right, leveling in other MMO's don't require interaction unless you break away from solo play. It's entirely your choice. However; it can be said that the voice-over work can be distracting to people who want to use vent and TS.

Closing; SWTOR is a definition of an MMO. In fact, it's more 'social' than other MMO's in a legacy's eyes. Seeing as there's no dungeon finder, you use the chat channel to find parties. (not a real difference, but well, to some it is, I guess.) Heroic quests are found quite often and sought after. Chat channels, in lower area's, are flooded with conversation. Some trolling, some argument, and some hilarious smack-talk.

When you break it down, SWTOR is an MMO. It requires people. While it can seem like a bare-bone version of one, it can still be considered one. Not many bashes have valid points in the 'is swtor a lobby game' debate.

Edited by JediRyuk

Yeah I know what you mean OP , my feelings are quite a bit the same.

Joined a group as a healer today , and honestly I think I would have had a easier time with my pocket tank phlem ball.

It really is a great game , and if they came out with another one i would prob buy it ,but I still dont think I see anything that would keep me subscribed.

Great game for the storyline the 1st run thru , might even roll up a reb toon , but after the class story is gone , I wonder whats left.

Who really knows tho what this game will become as it ages and matures ...

I find the flashpoints and heroics really fun, I like the way the group looks together, the flow of the thing and all that. Perhaps the pvp is a bit lacking but the pvp is always a bit lacking, if you wan't pvp I think switching genres is the best bet.

how many times do we honestly need this thread?

It's virtually identical to EVERY other MMO out there in this aspect EXCEPT that it has a good questing experience, which has always been the solo portion of the game. The only difference is that they attempted to make the solo experience enjoyable. It still has dungeons, it still has pvp, it even has group specific questing. Just because you choose to skip all the grouping content doesn't make it a single player game.

I have all of those games as well and you never needed anyone to get to max level and in WoW, you didn't even need people to run group content because the game will just magically "provide" you with a group.

BW has created an interesting problem. They invested huge resources in the pre-max level content. That content encourages you to play solo as the story is about you, not your friends. The level up process is really a single player game with a bunch of other people in chat. All of the cut scenes and dialog actually discourages people from participating in chat since they want to see the story.

To make it worse, they made travel to flashpoints extremely time consuming during the leveling process. They also decided not to include an adequate LFG system (server only), so finding a group requires you to pay attention to chat while trying to quest or go to the fleet and stand around until you get a group. Neither option is working well.

Spec choice is another place where BW seemed to ignore the lessons of other MMOs. Groups expect healers and tanks to be fully specced into their specialty. Also, like most MMOs, pure healing or tanking specs are very slow for leveling content unless you have a steady group. So, most of them will choose a leveling spec that lets them finish quests more quickly while keeping some of the flavor of their intended specialty. Unfortunately for BW, other MMOs have pushed the dual spec mindset and most pug players are not prepared for a healer or tank who is in a leveling spec. That causes healers and tanks extra grief because the DPS players are not doing the little things to help them out. So, healers and tanks have less incentive to run flashpoints because it is more hassle than it is worth.

So, BW has created a game with a great single player option and made the grouping aspects of the game more difficult during leveling. Travel is time consuming. Groups are time consuming to form. Tanks/Healers have little incentive to fully spec into their specialty and must pay respec costs to go back and forth (and they can only respec at the fleet, thus taking more time). You can't blame the community for not being social during the leveling process when there are major speed bumps in the way of people trying to make the best use of their time online.

I see you havent done heroic 4+ quest on any planet :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.