If Armstech makes Barrels, and Artificer makes Hilts...

Freeborne

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a leftover from when mod'able pieces could be crafted by armormech/synthweavers and they came with mods already installed. Then people started crafting these pieces, extracting the mods, and then throwing away the rest of the armor. Late in the beta they created the 'orange' type of armor to show a mod'able item and took the mods out of the armor we could craft.

Long story short. I just think that they didn't really think it through when they changed armormech late in the cycle. I guess right now they worry that if they take armor mods away from cybertech and give them to where they should belong (i.e. synthweavers/armormech's) cybertech would become a worthless profession.

However, I think they should give Synthweavers/armormech's the ability to manufacture they're own plating. It's stupid as is. We can create a full integrated armor chest piece (green/blue/purple item). We can create a chassis for an armor chest piece (orange item) but we can't make the individual armor plates to put in the chest piece?!? How does that make sense?

...why can't Armormech and Synthweaving make Armor Mods?

There's three slots on an armor piece. Cybertech should be able to modify two, but the core Armor Mod should be made by the base profession.

Uehmm... hello?!

You can make orange items!

cybertechs don't make enhancements. so if you wanted to leave cybers with 2 you would have to take enhancements from somebody else

Armorings are actually the only really relevant things cybertech makes, at least until level 50.

Hearing people who can craft all armor they want to complain about not being able to make armorings as well sounds rather silly to me.

EDIT: Noone cares for augments, modifications or enhancements. There is a reason why Cybertech makes armorings, because otherwise there would be nothing remotely useful left.

Edited by _Flin_

...why can't Armormech and Synthweaving make Armor Mods?

There's three slots on an armor piece. Cybertech should be able to modify two, but the core Armor Mod should be made by the base profession.

Cybertechs make Armoring and Modification mods. Not sure what your point is in regards to that.

I kind of get your point overall that you want other professions to make modifications so that the one you choose can make some kind of modification. This is already part of crafting. Modification mods are made by Artificers and Cybertechs. I could see adding a modification type to a craft skill but not taking one away from another one. For example, let Synthweavers make Modification and Enhancement mods. Armormechs could make Armoring mods. Something like that. This may cause issues for the balancing of the Crafting skills in the eyes of BW. I do not see an issue and I think it would be a good idea if each profession was able to make some modifications since they are so integral to the overall game.

Think about how many slots armor covers. Once you can create pieces for every armor slot, armorers have more direct control over stat-boosting gear than any other profession. Cybertech gets a 1-slot item, armor and mods and the rest is pretty random. Yeah, the mods are nice but as you get to mid-game blues and purples start being able to cover ground oranges simply can't, at least not easily.

Balance philosophy is there if you look for it. Artificers can't boost most companions like an Armstech can so they get two relics and control two weapon mods.

I get what he's saying, I'm a synthweaver that no one has a need for. People just get orange pieces of gear that matches the look they want for every slot, and have those that can make mods for them do it. It happens so much that I'm dropping my capped synthweaving for something useful.

Uehmm... hello?!

You can make orange items!

which are worthless w/o armoring and the relevant mods/enhancements. I happen to like crafting in TOR, but I dont think its a huge stretch to let synths and armormechs outfit their orange armor. Even if they took armoring w/o giving cyber anything it wont do anything to the profession due to ship parts, droid parts, and grenades. I wouldnt even care if they let cyber and armor/synth have armoring just let armor/synth do what their counterparts can do.

I have to agree with the OP, it just doesnt make any sense this way...

I may not be totaly objective since i am a armormech myself but even i have been using the same orange chest piece for the last 30 levels which kinda proofs that there is not very much business to be made this way. You just get one orange set you like and can then forget that armormechs even exist...

However, I think they should give Synthweavers/armormech's the ability to manufacture they're own plating. It's stupid as is. We can create a full integrated armor chest piece (green/blue/purple item). We can create a chassis for an armor chest piece (orange item) but we can't make the individual armor plates to put in the chest piece?!? How does that make sense?

Agreed.

As a cybertech I would happily give you my armoring section because it's a waste of space in my book, you can buy the blues with commendations, so only the purples sell. As both an Armormech and a Cybertech, I can safely say you aren't missing out on much. Even if you could make the orange armor a Cybertech can't fill it, you still need enhancements from artificers (or two tokens on the commendation vendor, that works too..).

what?

what about orange sabers and blasters?

_Flin_ isn't going to get it. I posted this very same concept last week, and he was a big opponent of it then as well.

What _Flin_ doesn't understand (or most likely does, but wants to keep it clouded) is that "Orange" gear is nothing without the mods that go into it. Barrels, Mods, Armoring, Crystals, and Enhancements are the REAL power in the Orange gear.

Artificer's can make their own Orange Lightsabers, and put in their own hilts, enhancements and crystals. (Only have to rely on a Cybertech for a Mod)

Armstech can make their own Orange weapons, and put their own Barrels in. (Have to rely on a Cybertech for Mod, and Artificer for an Enhancement and Crystal.

Armormech/Synthweaver's can only make Orange "shells", which are nothing without the Artificer and Cybertech providing the "worth" to their items. All the Armormech/Synthweavers are really providing is a player model that is basically social gear until some other class provides the power.

You can't argue that Armoring is our crew skill's bread and butter simply because that is all you use it for. Mod's are every bit as important as the Armoring in allowing any piece of gear to realize it's full potential. Not to mention quite a few other items we make, that despite _Flin_'s dismissal of their importance, are "key" elements to our profession (yes, I'm also a 400 Cybertech). Grenades are huge in PvP. Ship upgrades have made me rich. And we have an entire character slot all to ourselves (ear piece).

The fact that any of the things Cybertech's provide can be bought for cheaper and are better is irrelevant to this argument... That is a separate game design issue that I hope will get fixed someday soon.

If player made Mod's were the best you could get, then nobody would be arguing that Armortechs/Synthweavers should have Armoring.

Edited by Countryfiedjedi

Armorings are actually the only really relevant things cybertech makes, at least until level 50.

Hearing people who can craft all armor they want to complain about not being able to make armorings as well sounds rather silly to me.

EDIT: Noone cares for augments, modifications or enhancements. There is a reason why Cybertech makes armorings, because otherwise there would be nothing remotely useful left.

MIND BLOWN.You know who likes augments? Crafters. Whenever I crit on armor that I'm using, I either switch out an existing augment or look to buy an augment from the GTN. This by the way, is something that I dont think can be bought for commendations (at least, I havent seen them.)

Armormech is fine.

Im a lvl 400 armormech. We're pretty solid. Reason why Armormech doesn't need to make the armor mods is because we pretty much make every piece of armor someone would need.

Look at an Armstech. They can make an orange gun that someone can use, or at most two guns.

An armormech can make a piece of armor for almost every other slot. (Not counting ear, weapons, relic, implants)

That is alot of slots. Personally, my armor is a mix of orange, purple, and blue gear all designed to be the best gear i can wear. You can level up alot before you go to a new planet to get the latest mods. Yet with armormech, you can change out your weaker orange gear for a blue/purple piece that will fill the slot till you can upgrade your orange.

Also love critting on my armor cause then I can put in a nice augment. Right now have a couple +defense blue/purple augments that are ready to be put in some armor pieces once I get them critted.

Seriously, do the math. Six armor pieces all getting a +20 defense augment in them.

Thats 120 extra defense that my powertech is going to have over any orange set I would just buy.

Believe me, armormech is pretty well off comparetively.

which are worthless w/o armoring and the relevant mods/enhancements. I happen to like crafting in TOR, but I dont think its a huge stretch to let synths and armormechs outfit their orange armor. Even if they took armoring w/o giving cyber anything it wont do anything to the profession due to ship parts, droid parts, and grenades. I wouldnt even care if they let cyber and armor/synth have armoring just let armor/synth do what their counterparts can do.

Then dont craft the orange version. Orange items require blue mats so why not just craft the blue armor version? o.o

Then dont craft the orange version. Orange items require blue mats so why not just craft the blue armor version? o.o

Considering that I only made one, I think you missed my point. Plus, I can for the most part craft equal/better equipment than quest rewards on my vanguard armormech.

You aren't level 50 yet, are you?

Doesnt matter that I am or not. Im personally outfitting myself, my companions, most of my alts, their companions, some of my friends, their alts, and their combined companions.

I'm pretty much giving away nice blue armor to my friends who are leveling so they don't have to waste the time and sometimes credits to buy the best mods available to keep their orange armor up to date.

Really annoyed how everyone says this crew skill is useless or that one is overpowered. Like they say, ones mans trash is anothers treasure. People may call armormech useless, but I bet their not the ones having friends beg them to make them better armor to survive the grind up to level 50.

Doesnt matter that I am or not. Im personally outfitting myself, my companions, most of my alts, their companions, some of my friends, their alts, and their combined companions.

I'm pretty much giving away nice blue armor to my friends who are leveling so they don't have to waste the time and sometimes credits to buy the best mods available to keep their orange armor up to date.

Really annoyed how everyone says this crew skill is useless or that one is overpowered. Like they say, ones mans trash is anothers treasure. People may call armormech useless, but I bet their not the ones having friends beg them to make them better armor to survive the grind up to level 50.

I have so far equipped my entire guild's companions in various heavy armor sets at least twelve times over. Yay. Zero benefit in PvP or flashpoints, raids, operations, worldbosses etc.

Everything else I do is easily outdone by the commendations vendors. Commendations you literally CAN NOT AVOID OBTAINING.

I have so far equipped my entire guild's companions in various heavy armor sets at least twelve times over. Yay. Zero benefit in PvP or flashpoints, raids, operations, worldbosses etc.

Everything else I do is easily outdone by the commendations vendors. Commendations you literally CAN NOT AVOID OBTAINING.

Then quit your whining and go biochem like the rest of the flock.

Ok back on the main topic. If armorsmiths take away the armor mods from cybertech, then cybertech will pretty much be useless. Cybertech needs something special about them so people will go it.