DPS Mercs SUCK.

Xhyron

Too true about the rotations. If you spam TM you'll get nothing but heat issues anyway.

Also, you can't really on TM when fighting against melee classes. It doesn't need to be uninterruptable, use rail shot, HS, explosive dart, rocket punch, electro dart instead. Basically there are loads of moves you can use that aren't cast or channel. Use anything to keep your dps up. Pop relics and adrenals and warzone medpacks in a one on one. Never play without them.

Besides, you are not a dueling class, you should be outside of big scuffles where there are tanks to take damage and healers to back you up. And you can heal yourself. Easy.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is so full of failure I don't even know where to begin.

If you think that an Inquisitor can put out better pvp damage that matters than a mercenary you haven't ever played one. You are suffering from the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

An Inquisitor can get 1.2 million damage in a voidstar because they can't actually kill anyone. The extent of that damage comes from the following rotation: TAB Affliction TAB Affliction TAB Affliction TAB etc. An Inquisitor can't even put out a 10th the burst that a Mercenary can do.

Every class has it's weakness. For an Arsenal Mercenary it means that you are weak against melee classes with an interrupt. However, if you have even one person healing you then you are a complete wrecking ball. If you don't have someone healing you then use the environment to your advantage, knock melee off ledges and LOS to avoid the charge.

God help someone who doesn't notice you, especially if they are in light armor. If you can't be successful in this game as a Mercenary, especially an Arsenal one, then you might be a keyboard turning clicker. In that case the problem is not the game, but the way you play it.

Edited by Paerin

While immobility is understandable in terms of moving and attacking, I would like to see some jetpack related abilities to hurl oneself to safety. Something that would hurl me backwards at greater distance than jet boost hurls opponents away, or an aoe that could boost me up on top of a higher platform.

While immobility is understandable in terms of moving and attacking, I would like to see some jetpack related abilities to hurl oneself to safety. Something that would hurl me backwards at greater distance than jet boost hurls opponents away, or an aoe that could boost me up on top of a higher platform.

That'll never happen.

You see a two-gunning running, jet-packing Jango Fett.

The devs see a heavy trooper with an assault cannon.

Enjoy never using that jet pack in a meaningful mobile way.

Something to give us even the smallest bit of escapability is warranted.

We are a class that is 'supposed' to hunt down people. Given the fact we have a jetpack with ZERO utility amazes me.

At this point, a MERC couldn't even hunt down our own shadow without it sprinting away or disappearing.

You can use that jetpack sir. It just happens to only work for DFA :D

i have both a lvl 50 sorc and a lvl 50 merc

the light/heavy armor issue is meaningless

an arsenal merc goes splat whenever a melee dps with a brain targets them too

a sorc has a better shield (prevents more damage than a merc shield) this makes up for the armor difference. a sorc has an interupt, stop even 1 attack with it and you have negated more damage than a merc has "extra" from his gear. the reality is you stop more than 1 attack with it for two reasons: the interupt has a lockout which stops them using that skill again, and second it disturbs some peoples rotations, even a moments hesitation while they pick another skill and youve saved even more damage

utility and negation more than make up for the heavy/light armor issue

even if you go down the list of "well use knockback" or "use 4 second stun" yes and yes, sorc/merc both have those, the difference is the sorc can also speed boost out of the fight if he was about to lose to the melee, something the merc cant do

i am beyond aware of the heavy/light armor issue, having played both there is no "the grass is greener" its i freaking own both yards and i can show you clearly that one is greener than the other

anyone that cannot see this has not actually examined the issue at a detailed level

this isnt about QQ or "learn to play", im beyond crying over it and i have learned to play. im actually really good with my merc. the problem comes in that no matter how good i am with that merc, im missing half the skills my sorc has when i play him and the sorc keeps up in damage and survival

so yes, you like so many others are too busy looking for ways to troll or insult others on these forums while some of us have taken the time to actually learn to play and level up both for comparison

the grass isnt just greener, its freaking gold

i play my merc for fun and i win. i play my sorc when i want to dominate the game and actually be useful to my team, and i win.

its night and day and its the worst oversight ive seen in a pvp game and those of you who cant see the problem arent taking the time to comprehend where it is

You have really redundant posts that repeat yourself and say the same thing a lot but just in slightly different, yet repetitive ways that reiterate what you said just prior to saying what you just said and that also repeat your opening statement.

I still agree though. Just stop paraphrasing yourself and your posts will be a lot clearer and more concise.

• 1 year later...
All of you who think the merc is a comparable good class to PVP with are down right liars. I agree with the posting and so do the majority of people who know how to play PVP. The class lacks in every aspect except doing damage when not being hit. In other words they are good for PVE not PVP. Everyone else who argues with this is a down right liar. Take your merc and go fight a sentinel or a sniper there dps does not even match those classes. If I had to choose a class the merc would be last on my list for PVP.

All of you who think the merc is a comparable good class to PVP with are down right liars. I agree with the posting and so do the majority of people who know how to play PVP. The class lacks in every aspect except doing damage when not being hit. In other words they are good for PVE not PVP. Everyone else who argues with this is a down right liar. Take your merc and go fight a sentinel or a sniper there dps does not even match those classes. If I had to choose a class the merc would be last on my list for PVP.

Sorcs are the exact same except they have light armour.

EDIT: Not to mention when your Tracer gets shut down by interupt you can atleast rely on default attacks if all else fails, sorcs have no default attack (atleast worth using).

Edited by Jayshames

We need and interupt and the ability to escape from melee...use of the jetpack to blast back about 20meters would be great.

Just this would resolve some issues, that and a lower CD on the ability to stay, you know, ranged. Either that or forget 1v1 PvP (unless you enjoy dying :p)

Sorcs are the exact same except they have light armour.

Not even close. Let's examine the two primary escape mechanisms each subclass (Merc & Sorc) utilize. For Mercs, they have Hydraulic Overrides. For the Sorc, they have Force Speed. Hydraulic Overrides gives a 30% speed boost for 6 seconds, i.e. equivalent to 180% speed bonus over the duration of the effect. Force Speed gives a 150% bonus for 2 seconds, i.e. equivalent to 300% speed bonus over the duration of the effect, much better than the Merc gets. Force Speed is on a 20 second CD. Hydraulic Overrides is on a 30 sec CD. Moreover the real problem with Hydraulic Overrides is that a 30% speed bonus relative to a pursuer simply doesn't buy you much. An adjacent melee will be able to strike you with a 4m ability, a 10m saber throw and then their 30m Double Saber Throw during the duration of Hydraulic Overrides. And that's IF they don't have a leap available.

Now overall the Sorc isn't a super strong class, but they have viable options in how to configure their toon. The Merc is....well the Merc is useless. Most ranked teams will bring on one Sorc to their squad. No one wants a Merc.

So why did you necro this? The multitude of other threads littering the pts, pvp and this forum not enough?

I was fighting in a WZ the other day in a 1 on 2. One of the 2 guys I was fighting died and so I turned to the other guy.

I saw "Grav Round" in his casting bar and immediately thought to myself, "Whew, thought I was gonna die for a sec there."

And this is coming from a fellow Merc. I almost wanted to use "/say"

Edited by DarthBloodloss

I was fighting in a WZ the other day in a 1 on 2. One of the 2 guys I was fighting died and so I turned to the other guy.

I saw "Grav Round" in his casting bar and immediately thought to myself, "Whew, thought I was gonna die for a sec there."

And this is coming from a fellow Merc. I almost wanted to use "/say"

Tell me you fired Disabling shot and watched him fumble around for 2 seconds before running away.

Even though i think a lot of the talk about merc's needing more love in PVP is true, the reality is most of you QQers just need to learn to play the class.

Every class in SWTOR has the ability to wreck havoc, some of them just have more of a learning curve.

The current 3 level 50's that i play are a sorc, merc, and marauder. Without being bias at all, i can honestly say my merc can faceroll more than either of them. Of course its all situation, obviously my Mara would wreck either of them 1v1. However i NEVER see a marauder or sorc put out more damage than my merc in a WZ. Pyro Powertechs are really the only class i see that can rack up more dmg.

In PVE we are golden, but i do see the merc situation to be a tricky one.. considering any tweak or buff can lead to us being extremely OP. Food for thought

Even though i think a lot of the talk about merc's needing more love in PVP is true, the reality is most of you QQers just need to learn to play the class.

Every class in SWTOR has the ability to wreck havoc, some of them just have more of a learning curve.

The current 3 level 50's that i play are a sorc, merc, and marauder. Without being bias at all, i can honestly say my merc can faceroll more than either of them. Of course its all situation, obviously my Mara would wreck either of them 1v1. However i NEVER see a marauder or sorc put out more damage than my merc in a WZ. Pyro Powertechs are really the only class i see that can rack up more dmg.

In PVE we are golden, but i do see the merc situation to be a tricky one.. considering any tweak or buff can lead to us being extremely OP. Food for thought

people have been saying merc suck for at least 6 months now probally longer. considering how op powertech and jugg are, I do not think it would be that big of a deal if merc became a little op after being seen as trash for so long.

as long as powertech and jugg are still this strong, nobody is going to be calling for a merc nerf if it gets buffed properly.

powertech is strong but I have alot more fun playing merc than playing powertech. I would be happy if merc was at least as strong as a powertech, also I think merc has some mobility and cast time issues.

Edited by MarkXXIV

Merc is the easiest class to play. A low skill player piloting a Merc will tend to dominate low skill players piloting melee dps, healers or tanks. It's no wonder you view your Merc as doing so well.

But once you get to a group of skilled, well geared players, the Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Lowest utility, lowest survivability and lowest damage output. Now you claim that your Merc does more damage than any sorc or mara. You simply haven't faced any skilled players. Let's take a scenario that is the most favorable possible to the Merc. A static Voidstar (0-0) match. Those matches tend to have very little motion required (good for Mercs since they are the slowest class in the game). Those matches tend to have very few deaths (good for Mercs since they have the lowest survivability in the game). And those matches tend to have few outlets for utility (good for Mercs since the have the lowest utility in the game). It is basically a full 15 min dps fest - the function which you claim Merc are best at. And yet, look at who scores best in these types of matches: Rage/Focus on top with 1.2 million output considered a good score. PT/Vanguard & Sorc dps can score around 1 million when piloted by a good player. And Merc bring up the end of the field at around 800k. Snipers are at about the same output level, but at least they have utility and survivability advantages in other situations.

Ultimately what your view comes down to is the common view that Mercs can do a lot of damage if they are left alone. That is sort of true. Mercs if left alone can do more damage than the other toons that are being attacked. But compared to other toons that are also left alone, the Merc outputs less and has less utility. The Merc *IS* the worst class in the game. Period.

Merc is the easiest class to play. A low skill player piloting a Merc will tend to dominate low skill players piloting melee dps, healers or tanks. It's no wonder you view your Merc as doing so well.

But once you get to a group of skilled, well geared players, the Merc dps is the worst class in the game. Lowest utility, lowest survivability and lowest damage output. Now you claim that your Merc does more damage than any sorc or mara. You simply haven't faced any skilled players. Let's take a scenario that is the most favorable possible to the Merc. A static Voidstar (0-0) match. Those matches tend to have very little motion required (good for Mercs since they are the slowest class in the game). Those matches tend to have very few deaths (good for Mercs since they have the lowest survivability in the game). And those matches tend to have few outlets for utility (good for Mercs since the have the lowest utility in the game). It is basically a full 15 min dps fest - the function which you claim Merc are best at. And yet, look at who scores best in these types of matches: Rage/Focus on top with 1.2 million output considered a good score. PT/Vanguard & Sorc dps can score around 1 million when piloted by a good player. And Merc bring up the end of the field at around 800k. Snipers are at about the same output level, but at least they have utility and survivability advantages in other situations.

Ultimately what your view comes down to is the common view that Mercs can do a lot of damage if they are left alone. That is sort of true. Mercs if left alone can do more damage than the other toons that are being attacked. But compared to other toons that are also left alone, the Merc outputs less and has less utility. The Merc *IS* the worst class in the game. Period.

hopefully after 2.0 this will no longer be the case. If they actually fix merc I will make one from scratch and attempt to get it lv50 before the 2.0 patch because I think it is a really cool class.

hopefully after 2.0 this will no longer be the case. If they actually fix merc I will make one from scratch and attempt to get it lv50 before the 2.0 patch because I think it is a really cool class.

I have some alts but Mercenary was my first class at release and still continue be my main.

I spent much time with him, done all world quests, many fp's and ops, farmed many codex, full Elite WH, farmed all Endurance and Aim datacrons, etc. Well, after this, i cant abandon him.

True, its a weak class in pvp, but its my main, love the class.

Edited by chaosmadness

Dude I think you suck. Mercenaries do not suck. Everyone on these forums must suck at being a Merc to keep ************.

lol... no wonder merc still suck, go back to your cave troll before you get merc nerfed again... I would like to see merc have more blaster skills or at least for unload and power shot to be improved(make them instant or faster charge/cast times), merc has too many missile skills imo O.o. I would love to play a 30meter range class with mobility and instant or near instant cast. I would play sniper but it attacks pretty slow and is stationary. Hurry up with the next pts notes devs I want to play my merc during 2x :(. I tried a powertech but it just is not the same. Give powertech another gun and more range and I would be fine with merc sucking.

Edited by MarkXXIV

You bumped a thread made a year ago while Arsenal mercs were overpowered made by a player who obviously really did not comprehend what the engine under the hood did. Things have since changed and merc dps in all aspects is subpar.

really?

you rolled and spec'ed a pure dps class and are whining because you are pure dps?

I am AS and I am fine with it, get some friends, they need the dps and you need the heals.

No, its more of a mobility, or lack of mobility......not a dps thing.

I didn't play back then but i have seen movies in which rocket punch pushes enemies back.Don't know before which patch it was.

Why the hell did they nerf it?If they implement it again ,combined with the new ability from the expansion a lot of pvp problems with be solved for my favorite class(yes im insane as the op)

Edited by Kaedusz