DPS Mercs SUCK.

Xhyron

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont know where you think your going to escape to, unless you want a disappearance ability the only thing that the stuns really get you is further away when you die because in most warzones when they see you low in health on the run here comes the stuns and you will die before you can get away.

I play a soc and if the team i'm playing is any good i rarely escape when i'm targeted, melee classes up close beat us down rather fast to, pros and cons, pros and cons.

You're one of the worst 1v1 classes in the game. There's nothing wrong with your damage, it's just a complete lack of 1v1 utility.

It's the player, not the class. Playing a merc to potential in PvP takes actual skill rather than spamming a few buttons. People cry about our tracer spam, but a well played merc will wear any opponent down in a 1v1 because we have the tools to outlast them.

Edited by Jodou

You must be doing it wrong.

Im pyrotech specced, and 9/10 times Im miles ahead of any other dps in warzones.

Great mobility, great damage and great fun. I wouldn't trade my bounty hunter for anything. I'm only in half champion gear, a few centurion and the rest PVE gear from daily quests.

I did the weekly today, playing about 15-20 matches and was top in all of them, and I have no premade, only que solo. I just hope they don't nerf us.

Some screens for your viewing pleasure.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/9749/screenshot2012011201211.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6769/screenshot2012010903140.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6339/screenshot2012010603232.jpg

Yes you are very skilled........oh wait looked at your teams healing, yes i retract my first comment, anyone can pull those numbers with the right support, your evidence is invalid.

I am really, really, REALLY sad I wasted my time leveling this character to 50 only to find out the amount of balls it sucks is unreal.

First, I have a jetpack strapped to my back but are by FAR the most immobile of characters... What the hell is up with this? People sprint away from me in combat, jump halfway across the screen, or just flat out disappear only to come back 10 seconds later at full health and kill me... I have a rocket on my back, but get to stand around looking stupid? What the hell? The lack of mobility is beyond comprehension. Any plans to give us ANY type of utility from this thing that we should be able to use atleast once a minute?

Why are we the only class that has no distraction ability? Its nice that my only good attack gets taken away from me in PvP by every single person I fight, not to mention the chain stuns laid upon me while i slowly bleed away my health leaves me aghast. If I amazingly do get the upper hand, the fact that other class just calmly leaves the fight is astounding.

Now that I am done ranting, is there any plans to make a DPS merc a viable PvP class in the future? Sure, I am great shooting off rockets when no ones attention is turned on me, but god forbid if I get in a 1 on 1 situation. People have no issues escaping a merc; they are a joke. The fact this class is called a bountyhunter is somewhat of a joke in itself as they can't catch anything but NPCs. The class description we get when asked to choose our advanced class is a downright lie.

This class genuinely sucks. I have never been so disappointed with a class in an MMO and will probably re-spec it a healer and move on to a class that isn't a joke.

seriously man u need to relax, heres a pic of my Wzs and i have so much more were my merc dps is top in every Wz.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2791/screenshot2012011602245o.jpg

Edited by Noviru
removed mild rude, PM'd

seriously man u need to relax, heres a pic of my Wzs and i have so much more were my merc dps is top in every Wz.

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2791/screenshot2012011602245o.jpg

this is getting tiresome to the least,just because you can top dps on a random chart doesnt mean that the class is fine on pvp

not gonna bother to explain it to you go to look to my other posts im tired of sayng the same thing over and over again

Edited by Noviru
removed edited content

this is getting tiresome to the least,just because you can top dps on a random chart doesnt mean that the class is fine on pvp

not gonna bother to explain it to you go to look to my other posts im tired of sayng the same thing over and over again

i agree top of the charts dont mean anything, could have been all aoe spam with no kill shots and top of the charts.

I am really, really, REALLY sad I wasted my time leveling this character to 50 only to find out the amount of balls it sucks is unreal.

First, I have a jetpack strapped to my back but are by FAR the most immobile of characters... What the hell is up with this? People sprint away from me in combat, jump halfway across the screen, or just flat out disappear only to come back 10 seconds later at full health and kill me... I have a rocket on my back, but get to stand around looking stupid? What the hell? The lack of mobility is beyond comprehension. Any plans to give us ANY type of utility from this thing that we should be able to use atleast once a minute?

Why are we the only class that has no distraction ability? Its nice that my only good attack gets taken away from me in PvP by every single person I fight, not to mention the chain stuns laid upon me while i slowly bleed away my health leaves me aghast. If I amazingly do get the upper hand, the fact that other class just calmly leaves the fight is astounding.

Now that I am done ranting, is there any plans to make a DPS merc a viable PvP class in the future? Sure, I am great shooting off rockets when no ones attention is turned on me, but god forbid if I get in a 1 on 1 situation. People have no issues escaping a merc; they are a joke. The fact this class is called a bountyhunter is somewhat of a joke in itself as they can't catch anything but NPCs. The class description we get when asked to choose our advanced class is a downright lie.

This class genuinely sucks. I have never been so disappointed with a class in an MMO and will probably re-spec it a healer and move on to a class that isn't a joke.

This game isent based on 1 on 1 man get used to it

Cry more?

You went arsenal.... Thats the down side of arsenal, your immobile and everything you have is castable. It does great GREAT dps but yeah a guy gets on you and you are in a dicy situation.

Go Pyro if you want to do dps and be mobile, I mean... YOu do have a choice you know.

I'm pyro, and I'm starting to hate it too. First, I'm ok with my dps, but the melee sith warriors are ridiculous. That shield they get reduces dmg by like 99% while also doing dmg to you (I think, it could just be a dot they get). On top of that they do crazy dmg. Why can't our shields reduce the same amount of dmg? I'm not asking for a raise in dmg, but it sure would be nice to have a better exit plan. I wish I would of rolled a powertech instead. Ya, we do good dmg, but you have to stay alive to do it. With everyone having leeshing or jumping abilities, theires really no point. Once someone gets on you, you're done for the most part unless it's a sorc or jedi equivilent. I really don't like my merc at all and wished I rolled a powertech instead.

Also, half the people you are about to kill either spring away from you, or cloak. What ever it is, they have exits, we don't. To me, it seems like our heavy armor was the reason we didn't get these abilities, but from how hard others are hitting me, it doesn't even matter that we're wearing it. Everyone chews right through it.

Edited by Individual

haha u guys make me laugh, arsenal is all about single target burst mate, srsly i can take some1 down with 3-4hits even 50s get crit for 5k from me . the only thing ill complain about is how tracer sould be immune to interupt.

and just so u guys know u cant spam AOE in a wz all the time its 1min cooldown u get more damage out of single target burst then aoe lol.

the kill count/damage and deaths say it all, learn to pvp and stop QQing about everything being ****.

http://imageshack.us/f/842/screenshot2012011700481.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/337/screenshot2012011701573.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/703/screenshot2012011702235.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/688/screenshot2012011702420.jpg/

the kill count/damage and deaths say it all, learn to pvp and stop QQing about everything being ****.

Are you going in with a group of friends or just lucking out with a skilled pug?

I ask because it makes a difference come score time.

I have a 50 BH arsenal (mostly Champ gear which does help) and I can do a crap load of damage too right out the roof, provided I'm healed, able to attack an opponent without getting swarmed, and rolling in with a group of buddies that stay together and attack whomever comes my way in unison.

I mean, on average it's about or around 200k per game, but with a team you know or that works, it's a MAJOR difference.

I've seen BH's with the same gear and skill as me excel when running around with a group of buddies and go back to mediocre when in a full literal PUG.

The OP does have a point about Merc Arsenal, it is limiting and awkward, and you have a point, it can be like a nuke, but it isn't just about what you alone are able to do, it all comes down to your team.

In PVP BH arsenal NEEDS backup.

Bragging about numbers and making snarky cliche "L2P" comments are moot when you're really just with a good team that actually backs you up. It in no way negates the criticisms leveled by OTHER Merc Bounty Hunters.

The numbers and kill counts do NOT "say it all".

There's definitely more to be said.

- DH

YOU sir should go get an xbox cause pc games seem to hard for you. my god in the right hands a merc is so over powered i keep seeing these screen shots posted, and you guys if you think they are good then you need to see a real bounty hunter!!

every game i see is a win for you, and you have no healing, ill have to show you some screen shots with me no deaths in a pug with top healing top damage and immortal

Edited by Joshthenosh

YOU sir should go get an xbox cause pc games seem to hard for you. my god in the right hands a merc is so over powered i keep seeing these screen shots posted, and you guys if you think they are good then you need to see a real bounty hunter!!

every game i see is a win for you, and you have no healing, ill have to show you some screen shots with me no deaths in a pug with top healing top damage and immortal

im starting to read your posts quite a lot,and everything you are sayng is "lol l2p scrubs mercs are fine" please we are interested in hearing more of your constructive arguments

at http://WWW.idontgiveacrap.com

Arsenal Mercs are amazing in pve but take a bit of practice in pvp. If mobility is a problem work on your cycles. Cast tracer; heat seeker and rail shot are then instant so you can chase, then channel unload. Pop power surge and then chuck another instant tracer if you're stuck for a quick move. Honestly, people will run away from that amount of quick burst damage and it won't take long to finish them off in a one on one. Jet boost and electro dart should help with melee. Adrenals are your friend too. If you don't enjoy or know how to work with your class you should reroll, buddy. Mercs are great fun.

I'm a level 34 Merc using Arsenal/Bodyguard hybrid build and I do ok in PvP. I don't clean up like the 50's, but I'm never at the bottom of damage or healing. I was pretty frustrated until I learned to pick my fights carefully and that when multiple close combat bad guys get on me, I am very likely going to die. A lot of dealing with frustration is changing your mind-set about the situation. Realize going into a PvP situation that there is a bit of stress involved and that you're going to get your arse kicked at times.

It's only a game. :)

Mercs do fine DPS in PVE. Very awesome stuff.

PVP however is extremely situational.

The term "Glass Cannon" is quite accurate unless you have some serious backup with you that the other team is more focused on or is aiding you.

The key is finding a spot out of reach and nuking from a distance but EVEN STILL...force leaping melee can gut you if they close the gap.

You lack mobility, best you can do is run but all your other stronger abilities require you to remain still while using them so good luck getting them off while being stunned, EASILY ability locked, and just ripped up. Melee can shread you up like they do Trooper Commandos.

The best Mercs usually are in a pack and sniping someone from a distance fighting another player. When they get attention they run because the truth is they can't take the heat of a full assault from just about everyone.

I was killing 40-50lvl (before last patch) Mercs on my 22 Sith Sorcerer.

That's when I started to accept that Mercs are just very tricky in PVP and unless they get the drop...they get dropped.

These are facts.

These learn-2-play cliches are pretty hollow.

Mercs aren't useless, but they are just about the squishiest things in PVP.

- DH

There is absolutely nothing wrong with criticism. Especially constructive kinds.

Why else would Bioware even be altering and adjusting the classes if they were already perfect?

They're not perfect or all properly balanced yet.

Definitely not Mercs. :rolleyes:

- DH

I have to say I was having trouble with my merc/aresonal when my gear was not the best. I am valor 56 now with all champ but 3 pieces...the other 3 are centurion so I have exp on all pieces. Getting the gear made a big difference.

Damage is a no brainer...always in the top...I have a lot more survivability now as well. The best thing I did was macroing my skills. Get a keyboard/mouse that allows this so you can use fusion misssle or concussion blast with no heat and instant cast depending on the situation.

One on One the concussion blast is key....after they use thier cc breaker to get away from your stun you can use concussion blast to set up a quick heal..dart and death from above.

The one thing that still is tough is all the interupts and cc some classes get.

What most people seems to forget is that Arsenal is a gun-platform and as such designed to be immobile while firing. You don't see Haubitz guns roaming the battlefield firing off every now and then? No they are stationary when unloading their 'death from above', same goes with Arsenal mercs. We need close support or shelter for survivability.

Also a lot of all the QQ is about we can't go up against other players, especially 1on1. PvP in SWTOR isn't centered around 1on1 PvP but on cooperation and tactics. This might be a whole new concept to some but in reality that how it works.

Our class does great damage and if we would be mobile at the same time the nerfbat would be swinging our way faster than one could say 'nerf-herder' and then the QQ would be even worse than it is now...

We should be grateful that Bioware have had the courage to make classes different and not adopted Blizz'es way of class homogenization where every class can do the same stuff. What's the fun in that?

I will not say l2p your class but learn to cooperate with others to maximize your winning probability. In the end of the day its crushing the enemy that counts!

• 2 weeks later...

Posting in epic thread.

This thread should be read by anyone who questions how to play Merc. It made me realize how badly I was under utilizing my merc. I respec'd to be more effective in PVP and completely remapped my hotkeys; though the remapping is not specific to merc, it emphasizes how bad mechanics can make someone think a class is underpowered.

Before the changes I did 'decent'; sometimes getting on top dmg. But after I got comfortable with the remap and used the guidelines in this thread I'm consistently on top dmg, kills, and medals.

What needs to be emphasized the most is what someone said earlier: "extremely situational.". If you don't have decent support or are unable to stay in a group or maintain distance, you will struggle no matter how geared you are. Know your strengths and their weaknesses and Merc will be very fun.

Most people picked the class before the relative class comparisons were really well known. You need to play by your strengths. You are difficult to kill and efficient to heal. If you play with an active guard+spot healer you will be indomitable, and surpass the need for your own mobility/CC. Other than that, sorry. You're one of the worst 1v1 classes in the game. There's nothing wrong with your damage, it's just a complete lack of 1v1 utility.

I'm still not sure why anyone would take a DPS in PvE or PvP that can't interrupt. At least you're not a sniper/slinger, and have the chance to get bugged out of your required stances to use core attacks.

Same thing, i didnt realize there was no interupt on mercs, or i would have rolled sorc with the rest of the sorc army, or rolled a stealth class which can escape like operative. Even with the nerfs to OP burst, they can still hybrid spec into combat stealth & healing to make them very tough to kill.

Merc issues would be solved by allowing them some kind of escape skill, but the entire class isnt built around it. The only real potential to survive is to roll healing and play as a healer/dps support. Most people who roll dps classes never want to heal so they will not even bother to try that playstyle, even though its by far the strongest aspect of the merc, and allows you to 1v1 anyone in the game and win more often then not.

I kinda agree with this. DPS classes aren't mean to be tanks... we're supposed to turret people from far away.

But, I agree we need a longer CC or a Combat Sprint that breaks snares so we can at least move away for a second.

thats just it, we cant even actually turret people from far away when every class in this game is either:

1. ranged making it irrelvent (and the other range class with similar dps to us.. sorc has far more utility)

or

2. has gap closers making our range meaningless when our knockbacks do not refresh anywhere close to as fast as their constant gap closer

if we are truly to be ranged turret/kiter than how is it there are no classes in this game we can actually kill from range ? (unless they are ignoring us entirely)

we cant even keep them in place long enough to kill, every class in this game can walk away from us at will (or speed boost away and never be caught up with)