Swtor losing 200k subs already?

Biogood

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean to tell me people played more during winter break / holidays than they do when they have to work / go to school?!

MADNESS, MADNESS I SAY!

Here's a little clarification from the creator of those charts (it's on the 3rd page):

oh, i wanted to give a quick info on this (as I'm the developer of that tool), the generated charts DOES NOT represent users subscriptions.

Instead the tool reads http://www.swtor.com/server-status and generate charts for server-loads based on given population field on the page.

So basically a total value of 800 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 3.7 = ~ Heavy population in average.

Where as a value of 600 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 2.7 = Standard population.

• 0 -> offline
  • 1 - 2 -> light
  • 2 - 3-> standard
  • 3 - 4 -> heavy
  • 4 - 5 -> very heavy
  • 5+ -> full

So yet again, the game did not lost active subscribers last two weeks but instead average population of servers dropped down - which is a good thing (meaning less queues if any).

In MMO launches, heavy populations are always expected and over time they normalize - which is already the case for SWTOR -- and those charts actually represent that.

Update: Can anybody with a post in first page of the thread can paste this explanation? So people can get an understanding of the charts before commenting on the OP's erroneous interpretation of them.

Edited by Papazooki

Edit: The author of the tool linked to in the OP posted this explanation a page or two into the discussion. Read this before commenting.

oh, i wanted to give a quick info on this (as I'm the developer of that tool), the generated charts DOES NOT represent users subscriptions.

Instead the tool reads http://www.swtor.com/server-status and generate charts for server-loads based on given population field on the page.

So basically a total value of 800 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 3.7 = ~ Heavy population in average.

Where as a value of 600 (in y axis) for a total of 215 server means = 800 / 215 = 2.7 = Standard population.

0 -> offline

1 - 2 -> light

2 - 3-> standard

3 - 4 -> heavy

4 - 5 -> very heavy

5+ -> full

So yet again, the game did not lost active subscribers last two weeks but instead average population of servers dropped down - which is a good thing (meaning less queues if any).

In MMO launches, heavy populations are always expected and over time they normalize - which is already the case for SWTOR -- and those charts actually represent that.

Edited by talligan

good let the cry babies leave in the end there will be less complainers

i usualy dont read forums but i got no time to play before my courses

so if there are 200k complainers that left then good

You look at them as complainers, Bioware looks at them as paying customers that were let down by there work. You shrug it off as if its a good thing, when in reality sub losses this early are very very bad for the product.

Why is it the least surprising that total people playing would be down in the first week of January vs the last week of December?

They haven't lost 200K subs. A good number of people had to go back to work and have less time to play now that the holidays are over.

Couldn't agree more. It's bit early for arm-windmilling and gnashing of teeth, anyway.

I could care less either if whiners left but that data the OP linked does not illustrate cancellations of accounts. It just shows most people are back to work/school and server caps are possibly increased.

I'm sure the OP isn't so stupid to think that those graphs actually means lost subs? No where does it say that, just show that activity has been down from launch week to now and that is to be expected as it was a holiday season, the game was new now that everyone is back to school, work, life activity is bound to drop. Not everyone spends their life in a mmo from morning to night.

Why is it the least surprising that total people playing would be down in the first week of January vs the last week of December?

They haven't lost 200K subs. A good number of people had to go back to work and have less time to play now that the holidays are over.

I know... Work sucks...

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

If this chart is correct, this game is already down 200k active users.

No, it shows down a net 100K POPULATION. Not subs.

Not to mention there is nothing stating what the source data is. I can make graphs from arbitrary data all day. Doesn't make it true.

I would make the same argument whether the numbers were going up or down.

• 0 -> offline
  • 1 - 2 -> light
  • 2 - 3-> standard
  • 3 - 4 -> heavy
  • 4 - 5 -> very heavy
  • 5+ -> full

Update: Can anybody with a post in first page of the thread can paste this explanation? So people can get an understanding of the charts before commenting on the OP's erroneous interpretation of them.

Edited by raistlinthewiz

• 0 -> offline
  • 1 - 2 -> light
  • 2 - 3-> standard
  • 3 - 4 -> heavy
  • 4 - 5 -> very heavy
  • 5+ -> full

/thread

• 0 -> offline
  • 1 - 2 -> light
  • 2 - 3-> standard
  • 3 - 4 -> heavy
  • 4 - 5 -> very heavy
  • 5+ -> full

Ahhh that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification!