This game has more performance-issues than any MMO ever.

PalapaDalapa

If you have problems running the game with that setup then there's something else going on in your machine. You have a severe bottleneck somewhere. Maybe try bringing your computer back to best buy or have someone look at it for you. My system runs the game on max settings and I have less that.

Gefore GTX 560

8gb ram

AMD PHenom 3.3quad

max settings. no problems.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy oh Boy! I joined WoW at Beta (4) Stage 0.4 and If you joined WoW at v1 you would have known that there was so many messy things that for the first 6 months that it was a wonder if you reached lvl 60 during that period.

I played over the years wow since before open beta, I played it and really enjoyed it, I never ever reached above 60 lol I played in a very causal way with wow, I played to pve, and to socialize alittle but to explore, do quest, and main point was to have fun.

I not saying I played stright through the years, I took alot of time on and off the game, always remaking characters, always concentrating on my college classes more then playing.

Edited by Abomin

I'm just going to add this.

You didn't play age of conan did you? Because if you did, and still hold this position you are either lying or wearing strongly rose colored glasses.

AOC takes the crown hands down on performance issues...

Edited by savagepotato

how come my "top end" (alienware) comp runs at 80-110 fps ALWAYS (all MAX), never suffers frame rate loss, runs at 26 deg C 100% of time...........while all these other "top end" users have all kinds of problems....sure makes me wonder. Edited by Ushela

I run at 34-40 fps with a cpu that is bottlenecking me at 2.5 duel core. If you are having issues something is probably bottlenecking you. my gtx 460 could chew it pretty easy at max setting 1600x900, except my cpu. My wifes desktop, with an i7 and a 460, pulls about 75 fps everywhere.

Or the fact that there was no quest for lvl 55-60 so you would have to just grind those last few lvls.

Not true! Eastern Plaguelands and many other 55+ areas were in the game from the start. Stratholme and Scholomance, LBRS and UBRS, and other instances had tons of quests. The instances themselves were extremely well done.

how come my "top end" (alienware) comp runs at 80-110 fps ALWAYS (all MAX), never suffers frame rate loss, runs at 26 deg C 100% of time...........while all these other "top end" users have all kinds of problems....sure makes me wonder.

I'll defer to my old pal Henry Rollins to answer for you.

'Cause I'm a liar!, yeah, I'm a liar!

I'll tear your mind out!, I'll burn your soul!

I'll turn you into me, I'll turn you into me...

You don't have special awesome sauce because you bought alienware.

Alienware makes nothing. They assemble parts from actual manufacturers.

Edited by savagepotato

I haven't had one performance issue yet on my i7 based laptop or my i5 based PC.

I think there's something else at play here, likely some sort of hardware issue, or possibly someone is trolling.

Edited by KippTabor

Not true! Eastern Plaguelands and many other 55+ areas were in the game from the start. Stratholme and Scholomance, LBRS and UBRS, and other instances had tons of quests. The instances themselves were extremely well done.

Most people were around lvl 55 when they exhausted all the quests. Thus, you had 5 lvls to go with no quests...just mob grinding. That was his point. UBRS hardly compares to the endgame swtor launched with. Comparing launches endgame wise, swtor wins hands down.

I'll defer to my old pal Henry Rollins to answer for you.

'Cause I'm a liar!, yeah, I'm a liar!

I'll tear your mind out!, I'll burn your soul!

I'll turn you into me, I'll turn you into me...

Sorrry, chump..fact.

Wow didnt drop my FPS in random-areas by 50% oder 90% while the CPU is only adressed by 50%,

WOW didnt cause my CPU Heat going to 100 degrees celcius just after downloading a patch,

WoW didnt lag the **** out off battlegroundservers when they integrated battlegrounds when FPS and MS are both high/low,

WoW as a didn´t make my pc reboot or hardcrash in any of the 7 years I´ve played it,

WoW didn´t came out in 2004 with a game-engine that was designed in 1994, like SWTors Hero-Engine is from 1990/2000.

If your CPU is over-heating then your have inadequate cooling.

Sometimes, even if everything looks like it's working fine under the right conditions a failure will arise.

(This response is not entirely directed to the person I quoted, it's mostly a response to this thread)

The primary machine I play the game on is a X58 Chipset i7 930 with a GTX 460. It's not over-clocked and certainly not "Top of the line". When I first built this machine it seemed to work perfectly with one exception. When working in 3D Modeling software it would BSOD.

I did basic memory tests (Windows Memory Tester/memtest86) for days. Did tests of the drives, on and on. Everything I tried led me to believe the 3D software was at fault. Then I decided to run Prime95 which stresses the CPU and RAM.

The test didn't run 60 seconds before it crashed with memory errors. I replace the RAM and everything has run perfect since, including this game.

I'm not saying the game client is without error, certainly it isn't. My point is when problems like total system crashes/BSOD happen your first step should be to confirm that your system is working correctly. Just because one game or piece of software runs it doesn't mean all of them will.

Some software puts more stress on the system than others. For example TOR is going to stress the system more than WoW because it's designed for newer hardware and it will push it harder.

As a long time PC Tech I've run into a number of times when a PC seems to work fine, but once you put put some serious stress on it things go down hill quickly.

Again, I'm not saying the client software is flawless, I'm not saying anyone's hardware is "crap" or anything like that. But when anyone experiences problems with computer crashes I would suggest things like;

Make sure your cooling is working. Clean out dust, ensure the fans are spinning correctly.

Ensure your drivers are current, in the case of video drivers sometimes this isn't the best thing but you can check the forums of the video chipset company to help figure out which version is best.

Stress your machine to confirm everything is working, try things like Prime95, run BOINC maybe. Try things like HDTune, stress the HD's out as well. Put it through the paces and make certain it's not your system. Then, by all means contact Bioware and raise heck.

I'll give you a real fact. Which differs from your made up reality.

Your alienware has no secret special sauce that makes it better. Just a healthy dose of price mark-up.

Im just stating the facts...why is it so hard for you to believe people play this game with zero issues?

OP is right and BioWare themselves have announced they are aware of the issue and trying to resolve it. Don't know why everyone tries to say otherwise given this.

Brand new games do tend to have performance issues.

But to say this game is the worst of all time is completely irresponsible at best.

And at worst, it's simply denying Funcom it's due as the most abysmal game developer on earth.

I don't get why people feel the need to argue with and against players having trouble with SWTOR at all? If you're not having issues then good for you, but why troll the ones that have?

Fact is for me (and apparently lots of others):

I play/played lots of games on this machine (for ex Wow, Lotro, Aion, Rift, Crysis, MassEffect2 to name a few i can recall now).

Not ONE of these games give me/gave me a bluescreen or any fps-issues.

SWTOR gives me blue screens and sometimes fps issues (but the bsod is a bigger problem for me personally). It does not matter what settings I have in gfx. The bsod will come sooner or later.

Troll logic here is : The problem is on my end.

Well - in a way it is. It's my machine crashing.

Now it may well be that ATI drivers are crap (wich is what I have...YES all updated OFC), it may well be that Windows 7 is crap. That's not the point. SWTOR is doing something interacting with those components that NONE of the other games I play are. Thus - I'm expecting the fix to come from Bioware and not from Microsoft or ATI.

Im just stating the facts...why is it so hard for you to believe people play this game with zero issues?

I don't doubt it at all that some people are having a better experience than others. I have been PC gaming since 1993, I am rather familiar with it.

That you have zero issues however I doubt very much, that or you simply haven't been everywhere yet. Some play areas are better than others in game. Alderaan I find for example has a lot of graphical glitches I don't experience anywhere else, yet other people don't have problems with Alderaan. This is typical of any PC game.

However that you think you are scot free because you have an alienware and it is somehow better, well let's just say I've seen your kind before, and in my experience, you are all very creative at defining problem free.

If your CPU is over-heating then your have inadequate cooling.

Sometimes, even if everything looks like it's working fine under the right conditions a failure will arise.

(This response is not entirely directed to the person I quoted, it's mostly a response to this thread)

The primary machine I play the game on is a X58 Chipset i7 930 with a GTX 460. It's not over-clocked and certainly not "Top of the line". When I first built this machine it seemed to work perfectly with one exception. When working in 3D Modeling software it would BSOD.

I did basic memory tests (Windows Memory Tester/memtest86) for days. Did tests of the drives, on and on. Everything I tried led me to believe the 3D software was at fault. Then I decided to run Prime95 which stresses the CPU and RAM.

The test didn't run 60 seconds before it crashed with memory errors. I replace the RAM and everything has run perfect since, including this game.

I'm not saying the game client is without error, certainly it isn't. My point is when problems like total system crashes/BSOD happen your first step should be to confirm that your system is working correctly. Just because one game or piece of software runs it doesn't mean all of them will.

Some software puts more stress on the system than others. For example TOR is going to stress the system more than WoW because it's designed for newer hardware and it will push it harder.

As a long time PC Tech I've run into a number of times when a PC seems to work fine, but once you put put some serious stress on it things go down hill quickly.

Again, I'm not saying the client software is flawless, I'm not saying anyone's hardware is "crap" or anything like that. But when anyone experiences problems with computer crashes I would suggest things like;

Make sure your cooling is working. Clean out dust, ensure the fans are spinning correctly.

Ensure your drivers are current, in the case of video drivers sometimes this isn't the best thing but you can check the forums of the video chipset company to help figure out which version is best.

Stress your machine to confirm everything is working, try things like Prime95, run BOINC maybe. Try things like HDTune, stress the HD's out as well. Put it through the paces and make certain it's not your system. Then, by all means contact Bioware and raise heck.

You Sir!

You seem a reasonable and rational man, providing cronstructive input.

Where is the logic from your tech standpoint that so many games run fine and then suddenly one game (SWTOR) ends in crashes?

You mean TOR puts the system under so much more stress (than even crysis or rift)? Or that it uses new "code"?

It's a serious question and I don't doubt you might have an answer. If so I would be grateful to hear and learn from it.

Edited by zoofar

how come my "top end" (alienware) comp...runs at 26 deg C 100% of time...

Your CPU runs at 26DegC when running SWTOR :rolleyes:

Post a screenshot using Core Temp or similar, or you're a liar.

Edited by lollie

I´ve been with WoW from the first day, joined Warhammer, Aion and Rift within release or shortly after, but...

never ever have I read that many complains about fps/ rig-stability, overall-performance or insufficient hardware where one is much above average system requirements in any MMO-forums the way I do now in SWTOR.

This clearly sends a message to the devs (and the hero-engine based on an 1999/200*-design, too).

Sorry for the bad english-

You obviously never played AoC at launch.

Wow didnt drop my FPS in random-areas by 50% oder 90% while the CPU is only adressed by 50%,

WOW didnt cause my CPU Heat going to 100 degrees celcius just after downloading a patch,

WoW didnt lag the **** out off battlegroundservers when they integrated battlegrounds when FPS and MS are both high/low,

WoW as a didn´t make my pc reboot or hardcrash in any of the 7 years I´ve played it,

WoW didn´t came out in 2004 with a game-engine that was designed in 1994, like SWTors Hero-Engine is from 1990/2000.

Pretty amazing this old alleged dinosaur of an engine tapping out your hot rod rig seeings as how even my quad core phenom 9600 managed.....you might try cooling your rig with something other than a flamethrower no?

how come my "top end" (alienware) comp runs at 80-110 fps ALWAYS (all MAX), never suffers frame rate loss, runs at 26 deg C 100% of time...........while all these other "top end" users have all kinds of problems....sure makes me wonder.

I agree Ushela, I'm playing on a brand new machine and running the game with components that are exactly the same as some of these children who are saying the game is broken. I don't wonder one bit, I know they're lying. It's one thing to hate on a game because you don't like it. It's another to outright lie about why you don't like it. :D

AMD Phenom II Black Edition

12 Gigabytes of RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6850

My game has run flawlessly on max settings and is beautiful :) ttfn Can't afford an upgrade kids? Try Newegg.com :) Even your parents will like the prices. :) ttfn

Edited by StillOne

I don't doubt it at all that some people are having a better experience than others. I have been PC gaming since 1993, I am rather familiar with it.

That you have zero issues however I doubt very much, that or you simply haven't been everywhere yet. Some play areas are better than others in game. Alderaan I find for example has a lot of graphical glitches I don't experience anywhere else, yet other people don't have problems with Alderaan. This is typical of any PC game.

However that you think you are scot free because you have an alienware and it is somehow better, well let's just say I've seen your kind before, and in my experience, you are all very creative at defining problem free.

My kind? You mean adults? I never stated I was better than anyone. That was all you. I asked a simple question. Why does my machine run this game brilliantly, while many other "top end" machines dont? Its hard for me to believe people have all these framerate issues when I run so smooth. But w/e, Im done posting in this thread. Hope all you guys with problems get it figured out. Good luck.

The problem isn't so much the performance issues and bugs, its that I find myself drifting away from the game as the question "Do I get enough enjoyment and see enough future potential to keep paying subs?

Yesterday, I spent 5 hours doing PvP to get my daily done, during that time:

- 4 wins did not count towards quest completion.

- I spent the better part of 2 of those hours cursing and waiting for the "invite to char-screen" thing to pop.

- I spent the remaining 3 hours, playing PvP inbetween having the floor and everything in that range of polygons disappear of my screen, half the huttball arena showing the outside of the building and thus had to relog quite frequently.

Now, I like SW:TOR PvP in the current state, when I get to play it and when I get credit for what I'm doing, I do not enjoy it when I constantly get the fake-invites and various other things.

Isn't that great for you? Why the need to turn around and basically call everyone reporting problems a liar is what I'm wondering?