Seriously, COMPANIONS=\=PETS

Starmin

I'm talking about, from a gameplay perspective, referring to them as pets. Obviously, If you're a Sith and you consider Yvette or Khem Val to be pets rather than people in, that's not what I'm talking about.

How do you know what perspective they are referring their companions? If they want to call their companions and other's companions pets it is their choice.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In none of those games:

-Pets have their own storylines.

-Pets Interact with YOUR storyline and every single quest you bring them to

-Pets react to your choices

-You can fully equip pets as they were a completely separate character

I'm not kidding. But you must be.

It's evident that companions in SWTOR aren't even close to pets in other MMORPGs, but they are instead close to companions in single player RPGs.

soo...a glorified pet. Gotcha. Sorry, I don't RP and get my butthole all puckered up over spilt milk.

Your probably one of those people that went ape **** and filed petitions over the changes Lucas put in the blue ray disks of the series with the Ewoks blinking and the Emperor yelling, then went and bought it and yell at your friends that come over to watch it when they don't even notice it.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ****!? DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ****?! EWOKS DON'T BLINK!? GET OBAMA ON THE PHONE!

Edited by Nidien

In none of those games:

It's evident that companions in SWTOR aren't even close to pets in other MMORPGs, but they are instead close to companions in single player RPGs.

Aside from companion story lines, the "interaction" with companions is:

I like that response, +20 points

I disliked that response, -20 points

They in no way "react" to anything you do other than just standing there and having a tab show up on the bottom with a number in it.

Companions are not completely original. However, they're not pets. They're more similar to the hired party from Guild Wars (though you only get 1). As for feeling insulted, why would you? If it works, don't fix it. If it's fun and rewarding and balanced, you've done your job correctly.

In none of those games:

my favorite part about my companion reacting to my choices was when:

mako wanted to go party w/ juda about 30 mins after we killed her together

also they function the same as pets even if they have a story. they are still pets. and typing out companion over pet isnt going to happen for most ppl. get over it.

Edited by synikalfoo

If you clad them in green gear, hit auto attack and never even look at their skills, never give them gifts to unlock their story quests - to you they are a pet.

If you dress them in moddable gear, pick and choose their opening attacks to work synergistically with your own, and work hard unlocking their quests and crafting bonus - then to those players they are companions.

Id go so far as to say the terminology is a reflection of player skill.

soo...a glorified pet. Gotcha. Sorry, I don't RP and get my butthole all puckered up over spilt milk.

Your probably one of those people that went ape **** and filed petitions over the changes Lucas put in the blue ray disks of the series with the Ewoks blinking and the Emperor yelling, then went and bought it and yell at your friends that come over to watch it when they don't even notice it.

DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ****!? DO YOU BELIEVE THAT ****?! EWOKS DON'T BLINK!? GET OBAMA ON THE PHONE!

Sorry. Can't care crap about Star Wars. I play this game because it's good as a game. If it was an original IP I'd probably like it even more.

Looks like you're mad because someone thinks that Bioware may have brought an innovation to the genre.

Don't worry. They brought many more.

Edited by Abriael

Poorly coded/implemented pets at that. wtb Avoidance or AI that knows how to get out of AOEs

Come now, there are still PLAYERS that don't know how to do that. But honestly, it is just easier to type/easier to relate to pets than to say companion.

Sorry. Can't care crap about Star Wars. I play this game because it's good as a game. If it was an original IP I'd probably like it even more.

Looks like you're mad because someone thinks that Bioware may have brought an innovation to the genre.

Don't worry. They brought many more.

The troll is strong with this one.

Ugh.... I really, really can't stand MMO culture.

Agree. Complaining will never change what you do not like about MMO culture. I agree with you they should be called companions, but i also don't really care about how others choose to play the game.