The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech bad in warzones

thechimera

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shieldtech, level 41. From level 12 I'm in top5 by medals in every warzone(even in zones full of 50s). You need to PLAY, not just press buttons or rotate skills. You need to THINK what is best right now. You need to HELP mates.

i've been topping charts since i started pvp , i always end with 200k+ dmg (im 28) , i tend to go alone . always die when 2+ are focusing me but on 1 on 1 (except good 50s) i always win... this is as pyrotech. Edited by gerraaz

Heavy armour apparently counts for nothing. I tried AP... that sucked. I tried Pyro... so far very underwhelmed. Rank 37, and my Jedi Guardian is much, much better at 27... something's not right.

Sure, I do lots of damage but 18 sec dots don't do much versus burst...

Is shield spec any better? I mean, can they do any real damage at all?

I have never met a class with more versatile or usefulness in any game for PVP than the powertech.

Guard keeps your boys alive.

Jet Charge and Grapple makes you the MVP in every game of Huttball.

Incendiary Missile + Rail Shot/Rocket Punch gives you the dee pees.

Heavy armour apparently counts for nothing...

Sure, I do lots of damage but 18 sec dots don't do much versus burst...

Is shield spec any better? I mean, can they do any real damage at all?

No offense, but it gets really old reading stuff like this. You do realize that Powertech is a tank class, right? Do you even know what that means? If you're not cashing in at least 2-3 additional medals per warzone from using your taunts and Guard, then just do everyone else a favor and stay out of pvp, because you have no idea what you're doing.

I am a level 50 PT Pyrotech on The Swiftsure. I don't have any of the epic PvP gear yet. I have 235 expertise from the blue level 50 set which I bought before they ninja removed it last patch. I am consistently top damage in warzones and am disappointed if I get any less than 9 medals. I often get 10 - 11.

I tried ST/AP hybrid and full AP. I have also tried full ST. I had tried Pyrotech in the high 30s and found it to be underwhelming. I tried again in the mid 40s wearing the level 40 PvP set and I became a wrecking ball of destruction. Now that I'm 50, still wearing some greens and half the 50 blue set and I am decimating people. I can only imagine the destruction I will bring once I have some decent gear.

If you're having trouble with PT Pyrotech you're either not high enough level yet (get to mid 40s), have horrendous gear or are just not very good. Probably a combination of these factors.

I just did it again

http://i40.tinypic.com/2lm1krq.jpg

Far fight...i know i had a lot of kills...but we couldnt get over the 2nd door... and we didnt let them take the first.

We had lows they had lows...still a lot of 50.

My gear is a few centurion mostly champion with also a few battlemaster.

Nice, but you could use your taunts more often :) (Which helps your team, and gets you more medals)

Edited by Nariva

You're doing something incredibly wrong then. I played the one with the turrets just yesterday, was 3rd in the warzone with 9 medals. I'm a lvl 43 powertech, and there were tons of 50s, it wasnt junk i was playing against. Maybe You just dont know what you're doing?

Ugh... OP are we playing the same game? Admittedly I am a noob, being the first MMO I have played (LOVE IT BTW), but spam the heck out of rocket punch and flame burst to end cool down and rail shot. You hit a ton, and heat management isn't too bad. I switched from AP to Pyro and have never looked back.

My 2 cents;

There are too many factors to account for PVP performance.

21/2/18 plays very differently from Pyro or AP, where the first is a face front brawler, Pyro has to be more opportunistic due to the drop in DR. Positioning, LOS all play major roles in ensuring that you're not being death trained.

The Powertech AC class design is a PVP utilitarian class; a jack of all trades design. As such, your mileage will vary depending on how you synergize your spec, your tactics as well as your team dynamics.

Bottomline;

Perhaps you should research more into the class/spec you've chosen? Without parses we don't have empirical and statistical data to prove conclusively what the issue might be with your specific gameplay, but you could always look for a high scoring Powertech and follow his lead.

To the people saying I'm "not very good" - I often have top dps for my team, I've won warzones single-handed by ninja'ing objectives or repeatedly saving the ball carrier. I've never been beaten 1v1 in open world.

And as for not knowing how to tank: first off, I've played tanks most of my time in MMOs. In WAR, even the best guilds on the server who hated my skin would grudgingly admit I was one of the best tanks in the game.

So yes, I can tank. My point was: AP is lacking in damage (more or less everyone that knows the class agrees with me) Pyro didn't seem that great - yes, I know, it's based off luck etc...

And shieldtech is bugged/shield doesn't work on enough enemy abilities. In other games, your shield can block almost all attacks. Not 20% of attacks.

I'm in full level 40 pvp gear now, 30 points in shield, and I still feel squishy. Sure, I can kill most people 1v1 below 50 (and a few 50s too) but if more than one person gets on me I go down quick.

I'm guessing the real problem here is a lot of you guys haven't played tanks before. The tank mechanics (guard especially) are lifted from WAR, where they actually work. When I guard someone in this game: half the time, the ability doesn't stick on them. If it does, even if I'm right next to them I don't take any of their damage. Then it seems to drop off randomly...

And as for whoever said "you're playing the wrong class if you don't want to tank" I suppose you think all mercs should heal too? Or all operatives? There's 3 spec trees for a reason. The one I wanted to play BEFORE the game came out was AP... it fits my style more (survivable but decent DPS) at least, in theory, but the damage is a bit lacking and some of the abilites appear bugged. So I've been experimenting, and yes, I'm not going to be great with one spec or another instantly, having levelled in AP, but at least I'm trying to test things out instead of sitting crowing about how uber I am killing sub-50s in full battlemaster gear.

What "serious" pvper doesnt go biochem is the next question I ask :p

Ahem, I am fond of my 5 grenades that share a cooldown of 5 minutes that do minimal damage/effect.

:(

/cry

If Cybertech didn't make me so much money I'd probably switch to Biochem. But like Chainsaw said, I'll be like "Oh wow, I got all the reusable Stims/Med packs already!" then it's like "Consumables no longer usable in PvP"

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/screenshot2012010911082.jpg/

I'm sorry OP, I couldn't hear you over the sound of how wrong you are.

4/6/31 Pyrotech. Saying Pyrotech does less damage than AP means you're hardcore trolling or have not tried both specs and are just blowing smoke out your ***. AP is shamefully broken compared to Pyrotech's damage. ~30%-50% less.

can you link your spec? also are which set do you use for pvp; been playing around with it a lot but it just seems like being able to perform that well consistently is out of reach with such random heat management in the pyro tree

Edited by dedaF

To the people saying I'm "not very good" - I often have top dps for my team, I've won warzones single-handed by ninja'ing objectives or repeatedly saving the ball carrier. I've never been beaten 1v1 in open world.

And as for not knowing how to tank: first off, I've played tanks most of my time in MMOs. In WAR, even the best guilds on the server who hated my skin would grudgingly admit I was one of the best tanks in the game.

So yes, I can tank. My point was: AP is lacking in damage (more or less everyone that knows the class agrees with me) Pyro didn't seem that great - yes, I know, it's based off luck etc...

And shieldtech is bugged/shield doesn't work on enough enemy abilities. In other games, your shield can block almost all attacks. Not 20% of attacks.

I'm in full level 40 pvp gear now, 30 points in shield, and I still feel squishy. Sure, I can kill most people 1v1 below 50 (and a few 50s too) but if more than one person gets on me I go down quick.

I'm guessing the real problem here is a lot of you guys haven't played tanks before. The tank mechanics (guard especially) are lifted from WAR, where they actually work. When I guard someone in this game: half the time, the ability doesn't stick on them. If it does, even if I'm right next to them I don't take any of their damage. Then it seems to drop off randomly...

And as for whoever said "you're playing the wrong class if you don't want to tank" I suppose you think all mercs should heal too? Or all operatives? There's 3 spec trees for a reason. The one I wanted to play BEFORE the game came out was AP... it fits my style more (survivable but decent DPS) at least, in theory, but the damage is a bit lacking and some of the abilites appear bugged. So I've been experimenting, and yes, I'm not going to be great with one spec or another instantly, having levelled in AP, but at least I'm trying to test things out instead of sitting crowing about how uber I am killing sub-50s in full battlemaster gear.

NO. YOU ARE CLEARLY BAD :p