The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Thinkiing of making an female alt. Is it a problem?

Embrosil

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU spend 50 levels staring at the backside of your character.

Dunno about you but when I'm playing I spend my time looking at the mobs, space around me, what's coming at me, cooldowns, skills used on me, etc...if you're looking at your backside all the time you can't be playing that well :p

Edited by lollie

What a strange post. But I'm game. Someone else said this, and I would tend to agree. I assume all players are male until proven otherwise. I only say that because of a certain demographic that plays these games.

In my experience there is nothing wrong with playing toons of the opposite sex. I think if you exlusively play women characters (as a man), then its a touch odd, but maybe that is just me being close minded.

What is more alarming is that you are seeking opinion on if it's cool to play a woman. Someone else said this earlier-- just do what you want. Screw the court of public opinion. Have fun. Hell if you want to wear women's clothes and put some lipstick on while you play (not saying all women wear lipstick), then go bananas!

A problem? lol Nope.

I'm female. I play females. Been playing games for years. Doesn't matter many, many many people will assume you're a guy anyways.

Lost count at how many times I get into a vent channel, speak and get 'oh wow you're a girl' reactions.

lol

Edited by Jalliah

I'm playing female Trooper because the voice actor. I don't get treated any differently. It's 2012, I doubt people will ogle over you because you happen to play a female character. In fact, I doubt anyone cares if you're playing a female character as a male or vise versa.

The community is a bit more mature than those "f2p" games where every little 12 year old thinks you're a girl for playing a girl character.

But if you happen to speak on vent and you were a female, that's a different story.

Then again, I play with my friends from my guild. We play several games together and I don't have to interact with people much. Even if I do, no one cares.

The ONLY difference you will see is people will type "she" instead of "he" due to your character being a female. I've gotten used to it and I shrug it off. (EX: Play League of Legends. People refer your gender to your champion you are playing at the moment. No one cares.)

Edited by Teldara

I'm playing female Trooper because the voice actor. I don't get treated any differently. It's 2012, I doubt people will ogle over you because you happen to play a female character. In fact, I doubt anyone cares if you're playing a female character as a male or vise versa.

The community is a bit more mature than those "f2p" games where every little 12 year old thinks you're a girl for playing a girl character.

But if you happen to speak on vent and you were a female, that's a different story.

Yeah this is pretty much true. Some people here and there may make a big deal out of it, as for me, I got quite attached to the female character I made. Voice actor and character and how I played my class story line.

There's basically two types of players in this respect.

First: the avatar player.

This player sees the character as a representation of himself. He/she likes to think of themselves being in the adventure/story.

Second: the charlie's angels player.

This player directs or steers his/her characters. They send them out on missions, like the tv series charlie's angels. Characters can be of any gender, can be a mixed group.

Personally I am the second group. And I prefer female characters (I am a guy) because they are nicer to look at. Plain and simple.

In part this is also because I haven't really seen a game yet that succesfully implemented male characters. Either they look too bulky, too muscular, too clean shaven. Somehow they seem less realistic in their detail. Just look at beards and how horribly they are usually are glued onto characters' faces.

For me, men should be men. Not these poster boys they usually do. I find it interesting that SW has some unexpected body shapes, but they too aren't really realistic.

So I'll stick to female kick *** characters. It is a fantasy game after all :)

There's basically two types of players in this respect.

First: the avatar player.

This player sees the character as a representation of himself. He/she likes to think of themselves being in the adventure/story.

Second: the charlie's angels player.

This player directs or steers his/her characters. They send them out on missions, like the tv series charlie's angels. Characters can be of any gender, can be a mixed group.

Personally I am the second group. And I prefer female characters (I am a guy) because they are nicer to look at. Plain and simple.

In part this is also because I haven't really seen a game yet that succesfully implemented male characters. Either they look too bulky, too muscular, too clean shaven. Somehow they seem less realistic in their detail. Just look at beards and how horribly they are usually are glued onto characters' faces.

For me, men should be men. Not these poster boys they usually do. I find it interesting that SW has some unexpected body shapes, but they too aren't really realistic.

So I'll stick to female kick *** characters. It is a fantasy game after all :)

Oh I do love this description! Yeah I follow through both. Most of the time I'll be that "avatar" player but when given the chance I'll go Charlie's Angels on this whole gig

I play both genders. Fortunately for me the male characters can all be made to look hot, so I get some eye candy, but then I also need female chars cos I enjoy getting to play a strong female char - and of course, I get to flirt with some of the sexy male companions.

My husband usually plays female characters, which I have no problem with. He's very much looking forward to the future possibility of same-gender romances, too, which I myself tend to stay away from.

All in all, it's YOUR game, do with it what you want as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

DEAR OP,

LISTEN UP.

The last thing you should feel bad about is rolling a female toon. THINK ABOUT IT..... YOU spend 50 levels staring at the backside of your character. WHICH DO YOU THINK IS MORE OF A PROBLEM? If you ask me, all dudes should roll female toons for that very reason. ;)

My eyes aren't naturally drawn to my character's ***. Just sayin'

Here is my suggestion, please do not take offense to it.

Grow up. It doesn't matter.

I've always found it funny how attached people are to their own gender yet they have no problem playing a character that is of an alien species.

Thinking back to SWG, did it really matter all that much if you were a male wookie or a female wookie? You were still a large furry ape.

The day you stop playing these games thinking of it as an opportunity for cybering is the day it will cease to become a problem for you.

I don't need to be sexually aroused by my character. I grew out of that stage in my life.

Its funny how this thread is filled with dudes acting like they're the only ones who play female characters, when its already a big thing now. Its almost like if you're playing only males characters there's a problem with you. Let's not forget about wow and how almost 90% of the players above 2200 play female characters.

Hello, after I got my smuggler to lvl 50, I am thinking of trying the other side and roll an imperial agent. And to make it even different, I would like to roll a female one. I know there are no same sex romances, so I will just skip flirting. But would not there be a problem with other players? Like treating me like a woman?

Well, you could say, first thing whenever you talk to someone, "Btw, I'm a man" and there would be no chance of people treating you like a woman... Honestly, I can't see why someone would CARE about it, though. It's an MMO, not dating service... Might be a bigger issue if you are on a server dominated by 12-year olds, however.

Whenever I get into a group I'll use the correct gender-specific words when addressing someone assuming they are the same gender as their character. If they tell me they're not, I'll continue using them, as that's what the character's name and appearance looks like and otherwise my brain won't function correctly. I miiiiiiight make an effort not to if they specifically ask me to not do it, but even then sometimes I might forget. Other than that, no special treatment either way. I'll also switch gender-specific words addressing myself to adapt it to the current character.

Though this all might be because I'm used to tabletop rpgs and kind of roleplay my characters. I don't really care about who is behind the keyboard on the other side and I'd rather not know, as it's useless information to me anyway.

How come if I play a story driven MMO as a female character people raise an eyebrow, but if I watch an action movie with a female protagonist that's all good. Nobody ever questioned my sexuality when I say I like watching Terminator or Aliens. And trust me, it's not the sexual arousal. Sigourney Weaver hasn't done anything for me for decades. Edited by Nightspirit

I'd think you'd probably get flirted with by a lot of lonely nerds, but no one is gonna /spit on you unless they REALLY have issues.

Not totally true, lol. I have a fem alt that wears modded out imperial dancer clothing, and haven't been hit on at all.

In character or out of character?

Not that "you" are nothing but 0s and 1s in the internet... oh, wait! :eek:

In character, like you did not kill the enemy fast enough because you are a woman or hello pretty, want to go for a drink? That would be ackward.

Edited by Embrosil

Do what you want. I for myself, have to watch at the backsinde of my toon all the time i am playing. And guess what, as i am a man i prefer watching a female backsinde. Thus i often play female chars....

But i will not be flrting a male NPC. Flirting, courting, macking compliments to a male NPC, is something i do not want to do ... So i will have to skip on the romance storyline in the game until the introduce same gender romance options...