Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

!!!! I really hope BW have been working on the space combat for a while now!

For the sort of thing a lot of people are hoping for in this thread, then sensibly I think there would still be a long wait (it's just not a 5 min - or even 5 month job unfortunately).

But having said that I think if people knew it was coming people would wait for it.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new space combat they are working on will probably be in an expansion, which I don't mind btw!

Fans of Star Wars style space combat will also likely save their subscription money untill that expac. I remember pre-launch the anti 3D space combat crowd went on about EVE "only" having 300K subs. Now, members of the same crowd have arisen to defend the recent loss of subs as "only" being 300K.

For the sort of thing a lot of people are hoping for in this thread, then sensibly I think there would still be a long wait (it's just not a 5 min - or even 5 month job unfortunately).

But having said that I think if people knew it was coming people would wait for it.

Once I read the entire Jump to Lightspeed package was in development for only 9 (!!!) months.

In case you haven't read this, here is a quite raging quote of the lead programmer, Dan Rubenfeld

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

Quote:

"We made a *********** amazing space game using

the same *********** game engine, integrated action combat, interior

spaceships and in 9 MOTHER****ING MONTHS, all while running a

succesful, cash positive product.

I wrote the combat system, mission system, spawning system. I wrote

the combat model for JTL, implemented all of the development tools and

ship interior systems and more.

Hell, I implemented the original Jedi System in 2 weeks after we

launched. Not because it was how we wanted it, but because we had 2

weeks to do it."

So, Bioware with it's unlimited resources and secret project should come up with something within half that time, which is basically... now.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

They're probably doing a big space component revamp for the 1st Expansion. I like rail shooters in general, I hope they don't remove them, you'd have rail shooter dailies as well as open space to fight / explore / quest in. Including space combat PvP.

We already know they are working on Guild capital ships. Hope they implement interior customization for existing ships, or maybe even different ship models that we can buy.

Once I read the entire Jump to Lightspeed package was in development for only 9 (!!!) months.

In case you haven't read this, here is a quite raging quote of the lead programmer, Dan Rubenfeld

http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

Quote:

"We made a *********** amazing space game using

the same *********** game engine, integrated action combat, interior

spaceships and in 9 MOTHER****ING MONTHS, all while running a

succesful, cash positive product.

I wrote the combat system, mission system, spawning system. I wrote

the combat model for JTL, implemented all of the development tools and

ship interior systems and more.

Hell, I implemented the original Jedi System in 2 weeks after we

launched. Not because it was how we wanted it, but because we had 2

weeks to do it."

So, Bioware with it's unlimited resources and secret project should come up with something within half that time, which is basically... now.

psssst programing doesn't work that way. You can't just throw more money and programers at something and hope it will take half as long.

With every generation games and specifiaclly MMOs become more and more advandced. If you want them to make SWG style space combat in SWTOR in 9 month or less it will end up being crap.

let them take their time and do it right.

I'm afraid they will take there time and do it wrong.... tell us what you are doing so we can give you feedback and you wont have to release crap like ilum anymore.

Not sure us giving them feedback helps. They announced the fail rails in summer 2010, after 1.5 years of us warning them that no multiplayer option is wrong for mmo's and not letting players control their avatar is wrong for rpg's they charged right ahead, insisting how "awesome" a single player only mini rail shooter would be for a 2012 mmorpg. http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/16175-pax-east-space-combat-demonstration

If Bioware does listen to fan feedback, their actions say they summarily dismiss said feedback immediately after listening to it.

Didn't the anti 3d space combat crowd insist, pre-launch that a single player only mini rail shooter was absolutely good enough to retain subs? Now we can see how wrong they were. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/star-wars-Old-Republic-Subscriptions-numbers,15573.html

I don't mind the Space Combat. It's just a fun little mini-game, that's all. Meant for a break, something different from the levelling. It's repetitive but then so are most of the missions you do on planets.

What people are asking for is almost an entirely other game to be tacked on, which would require far too much time and resources to create and would result in the game suffering in another area (PvP, Flashpoint, Ops) due to so much being diverted into creating this flight sim addon

Edited by chaosdefined

I don't mind the Space Combat. It's just a fun little mini-game, that's all. Meant for a break, something different from the levelling. It's repetitive but then so are most of the missions you do on planets.

What people are asking for is almost an entirely other game to be tacked on, which would require far too much time and resources to create and would result in the game suffering in another area (PvP, Flashpoint, Ops) due to so much being diverted into creating this flight sim addon

Certainly entitled to your opinion, I'd just point out that 1.2 focused entirely on those things you're worried about (PvP, Flashpoint, Ops) and yet the game still lost 400K subs AND and entire month's income (free 30 days for near everyone). My opinion is that something different must be done to yield a different result at the next quarterly report.

A Jump to Lightspeed expansion would take a lot of resources.

However it effectively does give you two games for the price of one, and helps with sub retention for that reason.

Very few MMORPG can have this system (what could you add to WoW in this way? I Pirates! style ship game maybe? But it still would be nothing like JTL), which is a BIG advantage for SWTOR and one Bioware should take full advantage of IMO.

At the moment Swtor has no space combat. I know it has this min game that they gave us, but as that SWTOR is an MMO. The fact that this game is not multi player does not count. when you say you’re giving the Star wars experience, how can you do that and not have a space combat option that is as multi player as your main game? I feel that the complaint of others that it would be two games is weak. Battled field dose it with full first person shooter and vehicle combat. if you’re as hard core as I am with star wars games you know that X-wing and Tie Fighter, x-wing vs. tie fighter, wing alliance, free lancer and all of the wing commander games are small compared to this one. And the fact is the grade you get on your work is set by the quality you put in it. They have a base hit with this game, but if they want to get to home plate they'll have to get more men on the bases. And if they don’t want to do the work maybe that’s why their customers don’t want to pay.

Now THIS part of the interview on 1.3 with James Ohlen sounds VERY exciting!

However, we do have significant plans for space additions that are well underway, both something smaller for a future Game Update, as well as some very large, long term plans that we can't wait to talk about.

However, we do have significant plans for space additions that are well underway, both something smaller for a future Game Update, as well as some very large, long term plans that we can't wait to talk about.

Yeah though i think the small stuff is probably a new mission. Though I have high have high hopes for the large updated,but its probably coming in an expansion.

Yeah though i think the small stuff is probably a new mission. Though I have high have high hopes for the large updated,but its probably coming in an expansion.

I'd be happy if they talk about the long term plans soon, and ask if this is gonna be what the majority really wants.

You know just to make sure it's not plans about another railshooter, with two guildships on the screen shooting at pandas or whatnot.. ;)

/sigh exactly what they said 6 months ago, still just "plans" nothing worth talking about. These new lay-offs mean fewer people to implement such existential plans.

Im really hoping that they have been working on a new space system for a while and that It comes into Update 1.4 i've heard daniel errickson go on about "plans" few times which suggests they may be quite a bit into development of it

Im really hoping that they have been working on a new space system for a while and that It comes into Update 1.4 i've heard daniel errickson go on about "plans" few times which suggests they may be quite a bit into development of it

1.4 ?

I wouldn´t expect that to happen before 2.0, if it´s supposed to be an epic JTL like expansion with comparable features. If it´s a largely dumbed down JTL, maybe 1.5.

swg's JTL was pretty decent, then if you add guilds captiol ships you have a huge amount of content to explore/design

even going down the route of guild wars between same faction or at least some form of competion.

swg's JTL was pretty decent, then if you add guilds captiol ships you have a huge amount of content to explore/design

even going down the route of guild wars between same faction or at least some form of competion.

WTB X-wing type of:

• UI (map, radar, HUD...)
  • Flight dynamics
  • Engine management
  • Scenarios (Cf Tie-fighter missions)

JTL

• Space ship interiors
  • Ships customization
  • Space ship chassis choices
  • Multiplayer space ships (transport, turrets, repair...)

Cerainly not JTL

• UI
  • Opponents taunts
  • Flight dynamics
  • Lack of scenarios

Edited by Deewe

WTB X-wing type of:

• UI (map, radar, HUD...)
  • Flight dynamics
  • Engine management
  • Scenarios (Cf Tie-fighter missions)

JTL

• Space ship interiors
  • Ships customization
  • Space ship chassis choices
  • Multiplayer space ships (transport, turrets, repair...)

Cerainly not JTL

• UI
  • Opponents taunts
  • Flight dynamics
  • Lack of scenarios

I also hope for mining and atmospheric flight, JTL type

I want something Freelancer-ish or just leave it as is and just add more missions.

Pretty much every space sim always has such awkward controls it makes it horrid to try to play. Freelancer was the exception and I've never played any space sim with quite a "out of the box, press start and play" ease but with skill you could become so freaking deadly.

I don't want a "joystick or don't bother!" kind of game when the current system plays just fine as a minigame.

In case someone cares that one more person agrees with the TC. Space combat like BF2, or JTL would be incredible.

I have not been playing this game to long. But did my first space mission and was extremely disappointed. i probably won't bother with it again unless/till it is redone. This game makes me miss SWG honestly. Don't get me wrong I love TOR. And like the TC said, if this games going to be the Ultimate SW experience then it should definitely change its current little space mini game.

Also considering I have not read all the pages between this one and the first. What is the Devs current statement for future plans on space combat?

In case someone cares that one more person agrees with the TC. Space combat like BF2, or JTL would be incredible.

I have not been playing this game to long. But did my first space mission and was extremely disappointed. i probably won't bother with it again unless/till it is redone. This game makes me miss SWG honestly. Don't get me wrong I love TOR. And like the TC said, if this games going to be the Ultimate SW experience then it should definitely change its current little space mini game.

Also considering I have not read all the pages between this one and the first. What is the Devs current statement for future plans on space combat?

Hey, welcome to this forum's longest running, and probably most heated thread :)

According to the devs they have 'something big' planned for space. That's about all we know.