Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

In all likelihood the "new" mission was probably one they made back in prelaunch development and shelved in case they needed something to throw at people. Little do they realize its probably better to just keep it collecting dust then insult us further by not giving us off rails space combat.

We get that they have something "big" coming.

But they have to come out and give us a preview of what their goal is.

Are they even going to make off rails space combat? We have no clue.

If they do, will there be pvp? We have no clue.

If they do, will there be space raiding? We have no clue.

If they do, will there be customization? We have no clue.

The one thing I know is that if their "big plan" falls short of 3d space combat I won't be here.

JUST LET US KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT SPACE COMBAT.

JUST LET US KNOW.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS.

THIS HAS GONE ON FOREVER AND ITS CRAZY.

Every issue in this game has been talked about or at least somewhat explained to some extent EXCEPT for space.

We make jokes about the "soon" stuff but nothing is quite so vague as the space content.

It literally makes me want to scream.

You've outlined the next year in terms of pve content with short clips of fights, told us about cathar, even talked about level cap increases... You then flashed up .4 seconds of on rails space combat and you were like "space mission MOVING ON". You gave us less than nothing.

You might as well have been playing a clip of Al Jolson circa 1927 singing Mammy. It would have been less offensive.

I love you bioware but if you want to communicate... tell us why we, spacers, should stay subbed.

At least when they were assigning various game aspects to various community managers, space combat got its own rep.

oh wait...

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-team-general-update-may-31st-2012

...nvm

Edited by shepardcomander

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So all this talk recently about new server technology, possible "megaservers" and the ultra secret space stuff which is developed at BW somehow smells like a persistent universe being developed, EvE style.

That would be the only thing which fits the epic proportions which got hinted and I think it will be much more than just a space warzone to queue up like in "Moonbreakers", 16 vs. 16, shoot some time, done.

The universe needs to be vast and highly populated, and that would only work if they manage the mass server for space.

PERHAPS, it would even work technically that there is one specific mass server for all players where you move on when you enter space.

I really hope they go for an open world / sandbox style universe, where you can do PvE, PvP, where you can find set up locations with epic battles changing over time and faction (guild) controlled space sectors, a lot of X-Wing type space PvE missions, plus mining for resources, scanning for anomalies collecting data, space stations to land on manually and planetary atmospheric flight.

Epic proportions!

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Space combat was a hot topic as far back as a year before launch, it was also a hot topic on the beta forums (once I got access), and it was a hot topic after the NDA was lifted, and even I was appeased when, at launch, they indicated they had something big in the works. More than 6 months later, with them well aware of the passion that people have for this issue, to see them double down on the rail shooter by adding a new "mission" just made my jaw drop... and my spirits. :eek:

Look man, SWTOR staff has limited resources and time to implement things. In the opening, their first main things were the characters and the storyline, as well as a few other things. They just didn't have the money to hire enough staff to do that type of stuff up to a standard that people would like. Space pvp combat is HUGE undertaking and they had to set their priorities. And space combat was little more than a side show as it stands.

True space combat pve/pvp IS coming, most likely for an expansion. And when it DOES come out, it should blow away every type of space/aerial combat game that's around. Until then, you have to just have to enjoy the pretty graphics target-practice that we have now.

Edited by GiovanniD

Look man, SWTOR staff has limited resources and time to implement things. In the opening, their first main things were the characters and the storyline, as well as a few other things. They just didn't have the money to hire enough staff to do that type of stuff up to a standard that people would like. Space pvp combat is HUGE undertaking and they had to set their priorities. And space combat was little more than a side show as it stands.

True space combat pve/pvp IS coming, most likely for an expansion. And when it DOES come out, it should blow away every type of space/aerial combat game that's around. Until then, you have to just have to enjoy the pretty graphics target-practice that we have now.

Well they should have all the manpower they need now, after the mass lay-offs :eek:

Edited by shepardcomander

You have no proof of that since bioware has refused to talk to us about their plans.

As c shep points out, in their most recent outreach effort they failed to add a "space" moderator which kind of shows their POV on the matter.

Believe me, as a veteran of the Space Combat threads, I've read all this drivel before. And yes, they did have the time and treasure...until a couple weeks ago; now there are reportedly 150-200 less of them, and 700k or so less of us (the paying customers, i.e. source of revenue).

As pointed out, we don't know at all what was/is planned. It was said in a post at launch that it was something big and/or special (the adjective was edited over the course of a couple days), but no details or indication of the trajectory it would take.

I am also a veteran of SWG and during the first fan fest following the release of JTL, they showed a video of amazing footage of space combat in development not just with the existing fighters, but player controlled capital ships engaged in massive battle, where one ship was captured and boarded then conventional fighting ensued on that ship. It was epic and was reportedly pretty far along, development-wise...

...then came the CU (Combat Upgrade) in response to hemorrhaging subscriptions (lost mostly to WoW, incidentally). Their focus changed, their coding changed, contentious and ugly layoffs & firings ensued (anyone remember Tiggs, the community manager?) and all the space development they had been working on was decisively out the window.

Well, I'm noticing a draft...

Edited by BoushhDC

Believe me, as a veteran of the Space Combat threads, I've read all this drivel before. And yes, they did have the time and treasure...until a couple weeks ago; now there are reportedly 150-200 less of them, and 700k or so less of us (the paying customers, i.e. source of revenue).

As pointed out, we don't know at all what was/is planned. It was said in a post at launch that it was something big and/or special (the adjective was edited over the course of a couple days), but no details or indication of the trajectory it would take.

I am also a veteran of SWG and during the first fan fest following the release of JTL, they showed a video of amazing footage of space combat in development not just with the existing fighters, but player controlled capital ships engaged in massive battle, where one ship was captured and boarded then conventional fighting ensued on that ship. It was epic and was reportedly pretty far along, development-wise...

...then came the CU (Combat Upgrade) in response to hemorrhaging subscriptions (lost mostly to WoW, incidentally). Their focus changed, their coding changed, contentious and ugly layoffs & firings ensued (anyone remember Tiggs, the community manager?) and all the space development they had been working on was decisively out the window.

Well, I'm noticing a draft...

Did we know if/when they would ever do a server transer anytime soon? Not until a couple weeks ago for most of us. They know about Space combat. They're working on it in an expansion. Most people won't know about it until they announce the release of their expansion pack. But believe me, it's coming. Just don't put your panties in a bunch.

Did we know if/when they would ever do a server transer anytime soon? Not until a couple weeks ago for most of us. They know about Space combat. They're working on it in an expansion. Most people won't know about it until they announce the release of their expansion pack. But believe me, it's coming. Just don't put your panties in a bunch.

We know what server transfers are and what bioware means when they say "server transfers".

We have no idea what "secret space project" means.

Could just be more rail shooter crap.

We have no idea and neither do you.

Edited by metalgearyoda

Could just be more rail shooter crap.

what should be secret about THAT? No way... it must be something of epic proportions.. It can't be anything LESS than a Jump to Lightspeed type expansion. Seriously JTL needs to look like a museum piece compared to the "secret space program".

If they only do a "Moonbreaker" warzone type minigame space it would be a fiasco and not worth the secrecy.

Persistent megaserver space sandbox or nothing.

And planetary atmospheric flight, all seemless transition without loading screens..

what should be secret about THAT? No way... it must be something of epic proportions.. It can't be anything LESS than a Jump to Lightspeed type expansion. Seriously JTL needs to look like a museum piece compared to the "secret space program".

If they only do a "Moonbreaker" warzone type minigame space it would be a fiasco and not worth the secrecy.

Yeah, if I were bioware I would do my best to make you think that too.

Yeah, if I were bioware I would do my best to make you think that too.

You know the worst possible outcome would be rail co-op missions. Starfox Reloaded. Meh.

Second worst, queuing up for "the off rails space warzone". Moonbreakers PvP space minigame. Meh.

All I'm saying is, it can't be anything less than what was possible in SWG. Not again. No space downscale please. The planet downscale and exhaustion zones and leaving out housing was already enough feature downgrades. Please no space disappointments on top of that.

You know the worst possible outcome would be rail co-op missions. Starfox Reloaded. Meh.

Second worst, queuing up for "the off rails space warzone". Moonbreakers PvP space minigame. Meh.

All I'm saying is, it can't be anything less than what was possible in SWG. Not again. No space downscale please. The planet downscale and exhaustion zones and leaving out housing was already enough feature downgrades. Please no more space disappointments.

The problem is it can.

And they aren't seeking our opinion so it might just be.

Can't really see how people can be content with on-rails space with how much money/tech BW has to work with these days. SWG space combat was simply amazing...I still have flashbacks of doing Kessel vette runs to this day :(

Can't really see how people can be content with on-rails space with how much money/tech BW has to work with these days. SWG space combat was simply amazing...I still have flashbacks of doing Kessel vette runs to this day :(

same i loved doing teh kessel :D

The problem is it can.

And they aren't seeking our opinion so it might just be.

Supposedly some sort of announcement soon so we'll have to wait an see.

Personally I can't see how they can be doing anything less than JLS (they know the demand is there), but on the other hand I'm not Bioware. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that was amazing.

Can´t wait for an announcement about the space project, now would be a good time to spill the beans.

Do it BW! We want to face the truth! :D

Yeah that was amazing.

Can´t wait for an announcement about the space project, now would be a good time to spill the beans.

Do it BW! We want to face the truth! :D

Yup. I loved that.

I think BW hinted that they have something like this in works (cant find the link right now). Crossing my fingers :)

i miss flying my squints .. im only playing this game because it is starwars.. and hoping that something better for space is comming

My toons on swg were Farce an imp flying 50k tie int and 40k tie

and macioni flying pvp with the bwing.. before it was cool..

both on Bria :(.. i miss that game

i miss flying my squints .. im only playing this game because it is starwars.. and hoping that something better for space is comming.

Me too. This is the only thing that keeps me here now, because frankly the game is boring.

I am really hoping there will be some real, free space and awesome space combat surpassing what was available in SWG and the stories of the X-Wing series.

Whithout some heavy space news soon I'll be leaving SWTOR.

Ground and planets in this game is.. Dumb and boring. Running on roads. If real space comes I think I'll stay in my ship most of the time, thank you.

The space arcade game they have now is so lame I only tried it once, that was enough for me.

Edited by Laithlind
Grammar

I've skimmed over most of this thread and have read some interesting opinions. I would like to include mine just to help keep hope alive and maybe even spawn some ideas.

- Yes I would love there to be piloting in the game world space instead of just moving in screen space.

- I would also like to see Group Space Missions (Maybe part of a Flash Point) where you would have to work as a team to either pilot 4 individual ships to help each other in an all out dog fight -OR/AND- have missions where your group would pilot a larger vessel together in different roles (Pilot, Heavy Artillery, Shield Mitigation, etc) . I would like these flashpoints to feel something like the Space Missions from SW:Battlefront (1&2) Where you have many objectives and have to work together to finish them.

- Current "Arcade" Space Missions should stay in the game as they are "Runs" and "Courses".

- Ship Races: GIVE ME KESSEL RUN!!

Though I know many of these things will never happen I enjoy sharing my ideas. I hope my input will open others imaginations. Thanks for reading!

again with jtl swg... but hey it was a blast... but i loved the crafting and re'ing of components... the crafting in this game might work well and we could custimize our ships. Im not saying add more ships, just allow us to customize color and maybe some cool stickers on them. also let us re ship parts.. put mod slots on them.. but have sacrifices for energy, power of weapons, speed, armoring.. things like that .. just an idea

but more ships would be cool :D

• 3 months later...