Space Combat in The Old Republic (continued from pre launch)

seatown

I think some people have unreal expectation from a theme park

It was known pre-launch that space was going a rails shooter .[/QUote]

I've read this now several times, don't know what they said some years ago, but the spacerails are crap anyway, no matter when they announced that. You know a bad game design concept doesn't get better just because you announce it early enough.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this now several times, don't know what they said some years ago, but the spacerails are crap anyway, no matter when they announced that. You know a bad game design concept doesn't get better just because you announce it early enough.

I remember posters pre-launch urging patience saying 'wait till it's released and you play the space combat before you condemn it.'

Now that we can see how poorly they fit into a 2012 mmorpg (only took 1 mission for me to be done with them) it seems they are urging patience and for us to wait for the fail rails to be replaced before condemning them. All the while, the servers continue to empty due to poor content. Some urge for better content, others urge patience and not to try to leave our current tunnel to dead servers with no means of altering course or speed to avoid the destination.

Edited by shepardcomander

I don't think we need space combat thats as in depth as X-wing vs Tie Fighter. Rather I think a freelancer type system would be a nice middle ground between the hardcore space sim crowd, and the arcade shooter crowd.

Thats such BS though. Its was even announced as a side game. They said it was not the main focus. Base the game on what it IS, not what you want it to be.

We don't know what Bioware have planned for space and I would say that people just need to have some patience for once and see where they take it.

Last time we didn't know what Bioware planned for space, and we got something that went against what some 90% of the people who visit this forum (or at least, did before launch) preferred.

I think we have a right to discuss our ideas in the hope that Bioware pick up on some of them and actually turn TOR's "space" combat into something good.

Thats such BS though. Its was even announced as a side game. They said it was not the main focus. Base the game on what it IS, not what you want it to be.

It's a shame then, because the main game is fairly lacking. It has the basics, but little to do other than those. Making "space combat" a tunnel shooter was a bad design move because it is so limited. Having a sandbox type space side to the game would have given players a chance to do something away from the typical MMO grind.

And aren't there people leaving due to lack of content? Would some of those people have stayed if they had a decent space side to TOR? Quite possibly.

And no. This thread contains a lot of speculation about what people think TOR's space combat should be like, in the hope that the devs pick up on some of it. Basing the game on what we want it to be is how we should approach discussions about upcoming content, otherwise nothing would change, and we would still be playing Pong.

What some people seem to be missing is the fact that a 3D semi-flight-sim shouldn't be all that hard to add. SWOTL (Sectret Weapons of the Luftwaffe) was a 3-4 FLOPPY disc game from the early-mid 1980s that had fighters (X-wing, TIE Fighter, etc equivalents), Light Bombers (Fury, Mantis, etc. equvalents), and Heavy Bombers (capital ship equivalents, where the player could pilot and/or operate the turrets). It doesn't have to be a full-blown flight sim; that's just asking too much. But a decent full-motion Space Combat system is really what any STAR WARS game needs to properly BE Star Wars.

It's a shame then, because the main game is fairly lacking. It has the basics, but little to do other than those. Making "space combat" a tunnel shooter was a bad design move because it is so limited. Having a sandbox type space side to the game would have given players a chance to do something away from the typical MMO grind.

And aren't there people leaving due to lack of content? Would some of those people have stayed if they had a decent space side to TOR? Quite possibly.

And no. This thread contains a lot of speculation about what people think TOR's space combat should be like, in the hope that the devs pick up on some of it. Basing the game on what we want it to be is how we should approach discussions about upcoming content, otherwise nothing would change, and we would still be playing Pong.

It's strange because this is actually a MMORPG developers nirvana, a second possibility to hook people and keep customers grinding.

Fantasy based MMORPGs (EQ1, WoW, LORTO etc.) have a weakness in this respect (as there is no second game that marries easily to a fantasy ground/character game), but sci-fi or science-fantasy games like SWTOR actually do have the possibility to have two full and developed games in one (ground and space).

However something like SWTOR can have them separate, yet at the same time seamlessly integrated.

My god that looks fantastic!

I know!! The most amazing space engine I´ve EVER seen. And according to their website they are looking for partners! So if BW bought the Hero Engine, they should get THIS for a Star Wars sandbox universe...

OMG... OMG... :D TOR would be the ultimate game!

"Lifetime Subscription" -> Buy NOW -> YES I´d throw my credit card at them! Even TWO if necessary!!

On my search for a worthy technology successor for SWG style space exploration / combat, I found THIS

amazing engine!

It´s only a long tech demo, but watch.. and prepare to be amazed...

http://troublethinking.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/infinity-by-i-novae-studios/

Looks very nice (I defie anyone not to want to fly through that), although to be honest I'd be happy with Freelancer level graphics, with an MMORPG back end. :)

On my search for a worthy technology successor for SWG style space exploration / combat, I found THIS

amazing engine!

It´s only a long tech demo, but watch.. and prepare to be amazed...

http://troublethinking.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/infinity-by-i-novae-studios/

This actually almost brought a tear to my eye. I actually thought it was SWG for a second. God I miss that game, space was one of it's best aspects.

TLDR: I love SWTOR so far but wish for more meaningfull space content SOMEDAY down the road. ...

Very good post OP. Lets hope the "top secret" space project heats up, that the devs talk about. It can only help/grow subscriber retention at this point. The rail shooter (which I'm not a fan of the genre) was ok to break up the action in the beginning. However, having almost 3 lvl 50 characters now, I don't even look at it. Been there done that. Rather run more repetitive ground dailies than running more tunnel ship action.

If BioWare can get the ranked warzones and group finder in 1.3...who knows...holding out on space project for 1.4 or 1.5.

I know!! The most amazing space engine I´ve EVER seen. And according to their website they are looking for partners! So if BW bought the Hero Engine, they should get THIS for a Star Wars sandbox universe...

OMG... OMG... :D TOR would be the ultimate game!

"Lifetime Subscription" -> Buy NOW -> YES I´d throw my credit card at them! Even TWO if necessary!!

The kid inside of me practically exploded with excitement after watching it again. I got all nostaligic over SWG again and remembered how ground breakingly amazing the space segments were! :D I don't see BW dropping cash on a new engine though sadly. Probably will be something developed in house.

The kid inside of me practically exploded with excitement after watching it again. I got all nostaligic over SWG again and remembered how ground breakingly amazing the space segments were! :D I don't see BW dropping cash on a new engine though sadly. Probably will be something developed in house.

Supposedly the Hero Engine can do MMO style "space".

This actually almost brought a tear to my eye. I actually thought it was SWG for a second. God I miss that game, space was one of it's best aspects.

Same here... well that is how a possible SWG 2 / TOR space could have looked like.

Darn, this i-Novae engine screams "STAR WARS" so loudly, it´s unbelievable that there is no game in 2012 which does something like that in a SW setting!

LucasArts, EA, BW, the money is lying on the street, go collect it and give us a real "Star Wars Universe" simulator. :D

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

Same here... well that is how a possible SWG 2 / TOR space could have looked like.

Darn, this i-Novae engine screams "STAR WARS" so loudly, it´s unbelievable that there is no game in 2012 which does something like that in a SW setting!

LucasArts, EA, BW, the money is lying on the street, go collect it and give us a real "Star Wars Universe" simulator. :D

That is outstanding :D

Please though, don't let EA in on this. As soon as EA took over Bioware, the quality of their games went down hill. Look at the difference between Dragon Age and Dragon Age 2. And as for TOR, how unready was TOr when it launched? Sure, it may have been ebtter than some MMO launches, but the game is still filled with bugs, and is severely limited in what you can do.

If we are going for a real Star Wars universe simulator, please make a proper job of it, that wil keep people playing for years.