Anyone else feeling underwhealmed by Double Strike?

Raskovik

It's our most used ability as Shadows, and even used sometimes for sages. It could really use some touching up.

I'm fine with Project and everything else, but the simple thump-whack of DS is mindnumbingly boring to watch. I don't know how hard it would be, but it would add a lot to the class if it had something that could make combat feel a little more fluidic, maybe an animation more similar to Saber Strike or Whirling.

Personally, I think the default animation makes sense: it's called Double Strike and you smack the target twice (if you're a Shadow, you do it once with each side of your saber to boot), though I will agree that it does get boring very quickly, especially if you're a Kinetic Shadow and Particle Acceleration simply *refuses* to proc (I had to use it 14 times between PA procs today /facepalm). Rather than simply trying to get a new animation (since it wouldn't really make it any more interesting to watch after you got used to it: you'd just get bored and annoyed with the *new* animation), I'd be happier with some *additional* animations that the power either randomly chose from or cycled through.

Personally, I think they should only do this for the DBLS animations since Sages pretty much never use it (even in melee they can use their ranged attacks without penalty) just to ease up the workload on the animators: Double Strike is, at best, an occasional emergency attack for Sages; it's the bread and butter for Shadows.

I think for Sages double strike should transform into a healing buff/smaller dmg out put type of skill as a filler. I think doing something along those lines with double strike for sages would make the skill more useful to a healer. I've seen a few other MMO's do something along those lines with the healer classes. IMO

I think for Sages double strike should transform into a healing buff/smaller dmg out put type of skill as a filler. I think doing something along those lines with double strike for sages would make the skill more useful to a healer. I've seen a few other MMO's do something along those lines with the healer classes. IMO

First off, Double Strike is a melee attack, and Sages are a ranged class: Bioware has explicitly said they don't want ranged classes going into melee unless they want to do so (re: they should have no non-situational abilities they are expected to use regularly that are melee ranged only), so the chances of Double Strike being turned into a heal of any kind are pretty much negligible.

Secondly, Sage is not simply a "healer class". It actually has twice as many DPS options as healer options (Balance and Telekinetic versus Seer), so claiming that all Sages need a change to make an ability they all get more useful as a healing ability because they are a healer is simply wrong.

Third, it's not as if Sages are somehow using too few powers and *need* to use more. They have a full suite of powers so it's not as if they *need* to get some use out of Double Strike because it's one of only five powers they have. If anything, going Sage should be all the reason you need to simply take Double Strike off of your bar (Shadows do this with almost all of their abilities that aren't Force Breach or Double Strike until they get a talent that explicitly provides a buff to the given ability). Classes don't need to use every ability from their base class: sometimes the useless chaff is actually supposed to be tossed aside.

Last, completely changing the way a specific ability works is more complex and simply less efficient than simply creating a new ability in the first place, especially if it is intended to be used in a completely different way. If you want a WoW Disc Priest style Atonement heal, simply ask for one (or a talent in the Seer tree that adds functionality to Disturbance to put a shield or a heal on a nearby ally).

The one objection I have to Double Strike is that the Sith version of the same skill, Thrash, looks considerably more awesome in animation when performed by my Sith Inquisitor than Double Strike performed by my Jedi Shadow.

Then again, one of them almost has to look better than the other, and in this case it happens to be that I prefer the looks of the Sith ability. With Force Lift vs. Whirlwind, for instance, I prefer the looks of the Jedi ability and how those affected dangle with legs desperately kicking. :)

I wonder sometimes if there's not extra animations in-game that get thrown in at random. Using Double Strike with my Shadow, I do sometimes find that she will throw in an extra flourish with it, or do a different double hit animation as opposed to the usual smack with each blade of the double-bladed saber. And, I should point out, this isn't even when I've used Double Strike as a 'finisher', so combat's still ongoing. I've noticed it mostly when I get a chance parry during the combat cycle, but not all of the time.

Having said that, it would be nice if they did have a couple of different animations (the defaults can get boring), but then would that break something else?

TIm

Having played through so far to Level 43, I find the double strike is pretty much lack luster, and I have even seen my Character, doing like a forward and back jab, rather than a swing of a saber. Really boring to watch especially, when your trying to do any sort of damage from this.

I hate the Double Strike animation, and it really needs a change.

There are some very cool Saber Strike killing blow animations that we never get to see because we're usually finishing with Spinning Strike. Those animations could go to better use as alternate Double Strike animations.

It's amazing people have time to analyze visuals that much. I'm so busy checking my buffbar, my opponents movements and castbar, warzone objectives and grouphealth - I'd be satisfied with stick figures i think ^^

It's amazing people have time to analyze visuals that much. I'm so busy checking my buffbar, my opponents movements and castbar, warzone objectives and grouphealth - I'd be satisfied with stick figures i think ^^

Most people prefer nice graphics over text, this is why MUD's are not very popular, for you they could have saved a lot of development by skipping all the art.

I however would definitely like to see double strike animation mixed up like normal strike since it is used far more than any other skill on my kinetic shadow.

There's a random random spinning animation that our default attack sometimes triggers. Something similar to this, perhaps in the opposite direction to differentiate, would be amazing to add into an animation rotation. Because yes... Double Strike is double dull :(. Edited by Kemmer

• 1 month later...

Totally agree. While Jedi's don't have to be Yoda-ing around all over the place all the time--you'd expect someone with a double-bladed lightsaber would be twirling that thing at least more than a couple of times during a fight and not at random chance. (That random twirling attack for the normal strike is awesome looking) :)

Who's fooling who--Double-bladed lightsaber screams Darth Maul for most people, and that guy was raving it like he was in a nightclub. And here we are banging it over someone's head like a hammer. :p

The double-strike is a staple in the Shadow rotation, so why make it look so dull? Was there a balancing issue with that ratio?

X amount of style must be proportionate to Y amount of usage.

The more you must use the ability to fight effectively, the crappier it has to look?

More than one animation for double-strike would be great. Maybe we will see additions added onto later? Can't wait to see the Clairvoyant Strike. Trying to find an animation of it somewhere.

Edited by Savarous

Totally agree. While Jedi's don't have to be Yoda-ing around all over the place all the time--you'd expect someone with a double-bladed lightsaber would be twirling that thing at least more than a couple of times during a fight and not at random chance. (That random twirling attack for the normal strike is awesome looking) :)

Who's fooling who--Double-bladed lightsaber screams Darth Maul for most people, and that guy was raving it like he was in a nightclub. And here we are banging it over someone's head like a hammer. :p

The double-strike is a staple in the Shadow rotation, so why make it look so dull? Was there a balancing issue with that ratio?

X amount of style must be proportionate to Y amount of usage.

The more you must use the ability to fight effectively, the crappier it has to look?

More than one animation for double-strike would be great. Maybe we will see additions added onto later? Can't wait to see the Clairvoyant Strike. Trying to find an animation of it somewhere.

Darth Maul also fought 2 jedi's at the same time during that classic last fight. You want that pop defliection you will twirl that thing around during the duration as well as twirl it around when blasters are firing at you.

I hate the Double Strike animation, and it really needs a change.

There are some very cool Saber Strike killing blow animations that we never get to see because we're usually finishing with Spinning Strike. Those animations could go to better use as alternate Double Strike animations.

I agree with this. Give us the saber strike killing blow animations as random double strike animations and I would be a happy man.

Can't wait to see the Clairvoyant Strike. Trying to find an animation of it somewhere.
You will not be disappointed. If you want to see it already, check one of Powerr's
s. It's main attack and opener for an infiltration so you should be able to notice what it is. :)

Clairvoyant strike is one of the best things with infiltration. I really hate double strike animation also. The animation itself and pause between 2x DS doesn't feel fluent. :)

Edited by shagatha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.