Why do you people roll on RP servers if you have no interest in RP?

sharpenedstick

Why do people roll on RP or RP-PVP servers if they have no interest in immersion or RP? Thus far I have only been able to identify two reasons, and neither are particularly good.

1) To troll RPers. Not only is this pretty silly as a motivation, it isn't even effective since the RP and RP-PVP servers have virtually no RP anyway.

2) For a more "mature" player base. Yet most of the player base consists of people who can't follow the rules to select the server that best matches their play goals. Not exactly a quality I'd call mature. Note that the stupider someone's name, the more likely they claim they want to play with "other" mature players.

If you are one of the 90% of people on an RP server who doesn't RP, please tell me why you rolled on one.

Edited by sharpenedstick

What I've noticed in my RP-PVP server is...

In General Chat, there's no RP at all. I always see one or two people try to RP in general but they get shot down straight away by all the non RPers.

But whenever I get a group together or meet some people and talk in private channels. Most people seem to RP.

I troll =)

but ive also come to like the community on pvp-rp servers more due to usually it distrays from the children. I dont know how much you all use vent but i know that our guild of roughly 80 actual people has only 1 person under the age of 20. Just what ive come to see/relise.

I'm in an RP-PVE server and people do RP, just not in general chat because people need that to LFG and all that, you know? They use /say instead, which is normal. And for long range communication, that's for them to sort out. If you're in a guild we use /o (officer chat) as the holocom.

But most RP is found on the fleet or at a cantina, but it does take place somewhere else if you're in a small group and want to do some kind of event.

I chose not to join an RP server for the fact that I couldn't guarantee that i would RP all the time so i decided to go for a regular PVE server. I have noticed that in my server there does seem to be quite a few people who RP specially in groups for flashpoints which is fine by me.

Guess you have to understand that wherever you go unfortunately there will always be people out there trying to ruin your experience.

I thought it would be fun to play a sith on an rp server. Because technically you can act like a selfish jerk and people shouldnt be able to call you on it because thats how sith are supposed to act.

if you're a healer just let your party wipe several times and say "I will not heal until you all show me the proper respect I deserve."

Or if a guildmate keeps asking for help on guild chat say "You are weak. I find your lack of skillz disturbing" then boot him from the guild.

Follow someone around and kill steal from him until he complains and then say "Yessss, feeeeeel the hate grow within you! "

See? fun!

I troll =)

but ive also come to like the community on pvp-rp servers more due to usually it distrays from the children. I dont know how much you all use vent but i know that our guild of roughly 80 actual people has only 1 person under the age of 20. Just what ive come to see/relise.

I find your first statement disturbing. For several reasons.

You claim that you are an adult. You say that you LIKE the community that you TROLL. And third, you say that this more mature community that you claim to LIKE 'distrays' from the children, whatever that means.

Probably the MOST distressing thing about your comment is that you are in a guild of 80 people. If they are all like you, and troll RPers....ON AN RP SERVER, then I really feel bad for the legitimate players that are forced to put up with your deplorable behavior.

I used to RP in WoW and dealing with people like you ruined it for me. Grats on ruining RP for people in THIS game too! Hope you are proud.

Why do people roll on RP or RP-PVP servers if they have no interest in immersion or RP? Thus far I have only been able to identify two reasons, and neither are particularly good.

1) To troll RPers. Not only is this pretty silly as a motivation, it isn't even effective since the RP and RP-PVP servers have virtually no RP anyway.

2) For a more "mature" player base. Yet most of the player base consists of people who can't follow the rules to select the server that best matches their play goals. Not exactly a quality I'd call mature. Note that the stupider someone's name, the more likely they claim they want to play with "other" mature players.

If you are one of the 90% of people on an RP server who doesn't RP, please tell me why you rolled on one.

What's wrong with number two? And please show me this rule that we aren't following by joining a role-play server and not role-playing? The fact is that there is no rule. Role-playing servers are to "encourage" role-playing, not to completely remove anyone who doesn't do it. It even says so right there on the server select screen. There is nothing immature about picking a RP server even if you never plan to RP.

Generally speaking, and it's becoming less and less of an advantage over the years, role-playing servers have traditionally had more mature player-bases, which is exactly why I always roll on a role-playing server even thought i rarely role-play.

I don't see the problem. As long as I'm not ruining your game play experience why do you care? Even further, if 90% of the people on your server don't RP who would you be playing with if none of them had ever joined? Instead of worrying about why 90% of your server doesn't role-play you'd be playing on a dead server and worrying about that.

I thought it would be fun to play a sith on an rp server. Because technically you can act like a selfish jerk and people shouldnt be able to call you on it because thats how sith are supposed to act.

if you're a healer just let your party wipe several times and say "I will not heal until you all show me the proper respect I deserve."

Or if a guildmate keeps asking for help on guild chat say "You are weak. I find your lack of skillz disturbing" then boot him from the guild.

Follow someone around and kill steal from him until he complains and then say "Yessss, feeeeeel the hate grow within you! "

See? fun!

If you are not there to legitimately immerse yourself in the story and interact seriously with other RPers, then all you are is a childish jerk if this is how you TRULY behave.

Sorry, but using your Sith character's megalomaniac persona is absolutely NO EXCUSE to treat others around you like like total garbage. All it does is prove that you are completely lacking in manners or any consideration for those around you.

A truly skilled RPer can let his character's personality shine while RPing with other characters and be the most evil monster anyone ever met and strike fear and trembling into the hearts of his enemies. That does NOT translate, NOR is it acceptable in any way to act that way simply as a means to get what you want or to harass others.

TL;DR -- No, it is not ok or acceptable to do that. Just. No.

Try again, sport.

Edited by Kabjat

I haven't rolled on RP servers in this game, but I've done it in the past. I don't really RP myself though. Although if approached by an RPer for whatever reason, I try my best not to break their immersion and will act in a character of sorts--I just act like myself (which tends to fit the types of characters I play).

Why do I do it? I actually like watching others RP... it makes the world more fun. It's like being at something like a Renaissance Festival where people are in character. But I usually don't last long because I kind of feel out of place or like I am eavesdropping since I am only a "Reactive" RPer myself (and it's really not RP, I just give the illusion of it by using /say and answering the person in a way I think they expect).

Every time I've been on an RP server, I've stayed a loner--which is funny since usually I'm in an end game raiding guild in MMOs (and group all the time as a main healer). Once in a while someone picks me up as a buddy (like I am a stray, lost dog) and tries to help me learn to RP. But for the most part, I stay to myself and solo. I also usually end up playing a DPS character too.

I might eventually roll a trooper on an RP server. I don't think I can go Sith because the Sith NPCs are evil enough without having a bunch of fellow players acting evil around me.

See? fun!

Is it ok for a RP Sith to ninja loot because he's playing in character?

What's wrong with number two? And please show me this rule that we aren't following by joining a role-play server and not role-playing? The fact is that there is no rule. Role-playing servers are to "encourage" role-playing, not to completely remove anyone who doesn't do it. It even says so right there on the server select screen. There is nothing immature about picking a RP server even if you never plan to RP.

Generally speaking, and it's becoming less and less of an advantage over the years, role-playing servers have traditionally had more mature player-bases, which is exactly why I always roll on a role-playing server even thought i rarely role-play.

I don't see the problem. As long as I'm not ruining your game play experience why do you care? Even further, if 90% of the people on your server don't RP who would you be playing with if none of them had ever joined? Instead of worrying about why 90% of your server doesn't role-play you'd be playing on a dead server and worrying about that.

It's a problem when NON-RPers actively go out of their way to hinder free roleplay. I'm not suggesting that you personally do this. And unfortunately, people who have never roleplayed simply don't understand that making jokes while someone is trying to RP can totally ruin their immersion. Yes, it matters. Yes, I understand that you likely think that's stupid. And your idea of 'ruining my gameplay experience' in all likelihood does NOT match up with the average RPer who can't turn around on their RP SERVER without bumping into some PVE-er making stupid arrow to the knee jokes while they are trying to get into their RP.

Because i enjoy trolling RPers and reading threads like this one

So you LIKE to actively ruin the gameplay experience of other people? I suppose that means you wouldn't mind if your little brother came in your room and unplugged your computer while you were in the middle of a big boss fight or warzone. Cuz really, he probably just enjoys annoying you so what's the harm, right?

Oh wait...it DOES matter, because all that matters in the whole wide world is YOU.

The main reason I know of is people who are friends with someone who is an RPer but don't RP themselves. They still roll on the server to play with their friend. I don't really see a problem with it as long as they are not doing anything to disrupt other people's RP then its fine.

You might also get people rolling who think maybe someday they will get into RP, like when they reach the endgame and want something else to do, so roll on an RP server so they wont need to reroll if they ever decide to RP.

On my server the general rule of thumb is that general is all OOC, generally used as with all servers for gathering groups or asking questions. Its not exactly IC to carry out conversations that everybody on a planet can hear with complete stranger anyway. Local (/say) is used IC by roleplayers, never seen anyone use it for any other purpose so far.

It's a problem when NON-RPers actively go out of their way to hinder free roleplay. I'm not suggesting that you personally do this. And unfortunately, people who have never roleplayed simply don't understand that making jokes while someone is trying to RP can totally ruin their immersion. Yes, it matters. Yes, I understand that you likely think that's stupid. And your idea of 'ruining my gameplay experience' in all likelihood does NOT match up with the average RPer who can't turn around on their RP SERVER without bumping into some PVE-er making stupid arrow to the knee jokes while they are trying to get into their RP.

I used to RP, but then I took an imaginary arrow in the knee.

In seriousness, I originally rolled on RP servers because that's what I did. RP. Non-RPers didn't bother me because I quickly learned how to ignore people without the need for a /ignore function. In time, RPers constantly complaining about non-RPers drove me away from the RP scene. However, as I played for years as an RPer, I have very good friends who roll on RP servers exclusively. I stick around on the servers to play with my friends. I don't intentionally break people's immersion, but I don't filter myself either and just roll my eyes when people whine about things like this.

What I've noticed in my RP-PVP server is...

In General Chat, there's no RP at all. I always see one or two people try to RP in general but they get shot down straight away by all the non RPers.

But whenever I get a group together or meet some people and talk in private channels. Most people seem to RP.

Many of us - who are role players - don't believe in RP in general chat. It doesn't make sense to have this constant mind link with every other person on the planet.

For most role players, RP is done in say and emotes, with people in your immediate vicinity who could actually hear you and interact with you. Role play is, after all, done through your avatar, interacting with the world as your character, not the player putting on a show in general chat. There are a few who disagree or who do things differently, and that's fine. The point is, general chat is not the place to look for RP.

And to the OP, people who join RP servers for the more mature atmosphere are perfectly welcome in my opinion. Whether they actively role play or not, they provide the population density needed to have a lively community, a working economy, and enough PvE and PvP action to keep the game playable as a game, even while role playing.

Also, many general-purpose guilds have a variety of members, including people who want a lot of RP and people who don't care much, but they want to play with their guild. These guilds are a staple of a strong lively server community.

Most do not disrupt RP and enjoy having RP and RPers around for atmosphere and added immersion.

Edited by Sendra

Simple answer?? We have kiddy players on the servers at the moment.... some of the names on our server are laughable to say the least! EULA my lilly white beh....d!

most people will not RP until chat bubbles are implemented. You can't really RP in Gen Chat... If you are like me I just tend to ignore Gen Chat, only just to check for Group calls etc....

Sadly, we will always get kids in any game, that are to immature to understand anything... we just have to focus our hatred on them..... or humour them, they don't have a clue! but it makes me feel better :D

Edited by nite_shade

My community guild is half casual roleplayer, half non roleplayers at all. We have hesitated a lot, and we have choosen to roll on a RP-PVP server with the hope to find a more tight community, and to allow the members interested in roleplaying to roleplay as they wish.

However, since I've started to play, I've had almost no occasions to roleplay with other players (I'm actualy roleplaying alone my wonderfull storyline and it's already awesome).

I don't think SWTOR is really created and the best game for roleplay, as roleplayers had been used to roleplay in other games. And I must confess, that I'm not interested at all by "Cantina RP". I find my storyline way more thrilling, than a random discussion between several players.

So yeah...I guess we could have rolled somewhere else. But nothing had prepared us for this. Now we have too much character and too high level too change server. We are absolutely respectful of teh roleplay community if there is any. So I don't think that our presence is harmful in anyway.

And to the OP, people who join RP servers for the more mature atmosphere are perfectly welcome in my opinion. Whether they actively role play or not, they provide the population density needed to have a lively community, a working economy, and enough PvE and PvP action to keep the game playable as a game, even while role playing.

Also, fools get bored and leave, back to their pure-pvp servers. At first its a novelty for them to roll on an RP server to be a troll. But to keep it up takes a lot of effort and dedication. Those are two traits immature people lack, so they eventually tire and leave.

Edited by Frigidman

Honestly, I roll on RP and RP-PVP servers because most of the PVPers aren't very good. So I look *really good* by comparison.

In short, I go there to whoop up on the girls, kids and carebears. Not to troll them, not to destroy their immersion, just to beat on 'em. I'll even do it "in character" and by the server rules. :D

Many of us - who are role players - don't believe in RP in general chat. It doesn't make sense to have this constant mind link with every other person on the planet.

For most role players, RP is done in say and emotes, with people in your immediate vicinity who could actually hear you and interact with you. Role play is, after all, done through your avatar, interacting with the world as your character, not the player putting on a show in general chat. There are a few who disagree or who do things differently, and that's fine. The point is, general chat is not the place to look for RP.

Also, many general-purpose guilds have a variety of members, including people who want a lot of RP and people who don't care much, but they want to play with their guild. These guilds are a staple of a strong lively server community.

Most do not disrupt RP and enjoy having RP and RPers around for atmosphere and added immersion.

This.

We rolled as a guild on an RP server because we do have some members who RP. Some don't. However, we have a strict guild policy that all of our members adhere to regarding being respectful of the RP community.

RP servers will never go back to being RPer-exclusive-ish until developers go back to old school RP server restrictions. For instance, EQ RP servers had several GMs who HEAVILY policed the player base for naming issues. Also, there were no General or OOC chat channels. All communication had to be done in /Say, /Guild or /Tell. That went really far to keep the riffraff on other servers.

I had a guildie who was a RL friend and got EQ after trying it at my house. He joined my guild on a NON-RP server. His toon had a pretty stupid name. Before reaching lvl 10, he was confronted by a GM in person who asked him what he would like his name changed to. He immediately logged out to try and avoid a name change. Upon logging back in, his name had been changed to Nosaj (his RL name was Jason). GMs would pick names for you like it was NBD.

But honestly I don't think any modern games would ever do away with General/OCC/Trade/LFG channels. Not even RPers would roll on those servers if they had to do without those channels. I just try to do my part to report all names that break naming guidelines. I even report Legacy names that are named after characters from SW or other franchises. Kind of a reverse-trolling I guess. But oh well.

I always imagined a more "mature" crowd on rp realms and that people on PvE and PvP look down on RP realms because they think it's childish and unrealistic... I mean I met some people who RP who actually need some help, but then are others who are perfectly individuals, so why might one roll on an RP without interest?

It's simple, they don't want to engulf themselves around a bunch of immature players, PvP always attracts the kids. I am actually considering an RP realm after I finish up leveling my characters , I can see casual RP in this game at least to be somewhat entertaining, although they really need chat bubbles and more interactive options..