Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lies and slander I say.

You're right... I lie about my impressive FPS to make you guys think I am coll then I really am... I'm sorry.... OK but really, if the engine is the problem then why did the FPS drop just happen. Why was the playable in beta and at launch?

Rift. Gamebryo. Terrible.

To be fair I find TOR graphically very pretty and easy on the eyes, but there seem to be some serious problems with the actual combat part of the engine.

Could have used more polish though, whether that's EA's fault or not I don't know. I'm assuming they didn't anticipate all these 'ability delay'/'combat sucks' threads or they surely would have done something about it, but I seem to remember something about beta... beta forums... oh well, it's too late now.

I'm sorry but this is just absurd to claim Gamebryo is terrible when they use HeroEngine

No one uses HeroEngine but indie/obscure MMOs that get canceled left and right and will never see the light of day including the developers of HeroEngine who have been making a vaporware MMO since the 90s

The GameBryo track record since its release is a who's who of great games of all different genres and platforms proving it is a highly modular and efficient engine from console games like Catherine, to MMOs like DAOC and Rift to sprawling RPGs like FAllout 3 and NV, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, to topdown games like Civ 4 and Defense Grid.

It's objectively a better engine than HeroEngine ever will be, HeroEngine is a laughing stock of an engine hence why no one uses it and this game will always be mired in bugs and glitches.

I never played Warhammer, but if GameBryo failed there it's because of the devs, most of which are working on TOR now so you can tell they dont know what they are doing

I'm sorry but this is just absurd to claim Gamebryo is terrible when they use HeroEngine

No one uses HeroEngine but indie/obscure MMOs that get canceled left and right and will never see the light of day including the developers of HeroEngine who have been making a vaporware MMO since the 90s

The GameBryo track record since its release is a who's who of great games of all different genres and platforms proving it is a highly modular and efficient engine from console games like Catherine, to MMOs like DAOC and Rift to sprawling RPGs like FAllout 3 and NV, Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind, to topdown games like Civ 4 and Defense Grid.

It's objectively a better engine than HeroEngine ever will be, HeroEngine is a laughing stock of an engine hence why no one uses it and this game will always be mired in bugs and glitches.

I never played Warhammer, but if GameBryo failed there it's because of the devs, most of which are working on TOR now so you can tell they dont know what they are doing

Very well said. I agree with you. The GameBryo engine is lightyears ahead of HE.

How long has it been since the game came out?

We gotta give it some time....

How many of you played Warcraft from day one? You should of seen the issues wow had when it started. WoW is where it is today due to years of refining.

Thing is there is no time. WoW set the standards too high.

Why do you think pretty much all pay to play MMORPGs never succeed?

People don't want to wait around 2-3 months for possible improvements. Most people lose interest by that time.

If I cancel my sub now, there is no way I will resub 2-3 months later because by that time, I would have lost interest and the game would have lost a significant amount of players. The novelty is well gone.

It's going to take A LOT to convince me to come back and start paying $15 a month again when I left with such a bad impression.

Let's not be silly and say Gamebryo worked well in Oblivion and Fallout 3, please.

This game engine is one of the worst or probably the worst tied to EQ2 in the MMORPG market. Not even Final Fantasy 14 and Age of Conan with years ahead of better graphics struggle to keep framerate or makes players (with medium or good but not perfect rigs) notice loading. It manages to make even 570gtx cards with i5 2500 processors and 8gb ram to struggle to keep 30fps.

Not only that but the huge loading times in a game with EXTREME instancing is going to kill players will to play slowly. Yea while some players with powerhouse pcs never have a problem, the majority that is running the game is having problems that they wouldn't find in games with way superior graphics and visual effects.

It's unforgivable and it's being the greatest reason together with so much instancing that is driving me away from subscribing each day i have to load the imperial fleet, alderaan or tattoine.

When using a lightsaber gets old i think ill put down this game for the same reason i put EQ2. A great game that runs poorly.

If i can run

with no loadings and above 30fps why i can't run this with subpar graphics better?? Edited by DarthPeterNorth

Sadly, the problems this game faces is because of the engine. Blizzard did work in-house and use an Enhanced Warcraft engine. Games are not just about graphics but mainly about game play. No matter how much you knock on WoW, that game literally plays more smooth than any game I've ever come across. You add a crap load of mods and eat up all the memory you get SWTOR. Imagine if TOR had addons? OH GAWD, GAME OVER!!!!

Well, WoW uses an old RTS engine and it shows. It's poorly optimized for new hardware, so it runs as slow/fast on brand new computers as it does on 2005 hardware.

The modified hero engine used by SWTOR should run fine when it's properly tweaked and should also favor newer hardware (I recently updated my graphics card and I got way better fps, whilst in WoW it didn't really make a difference). Bioware has some work ahead of them, but at least the engine allows for improvements.

Edited by milmo

Some people will never be satisfied.

If SWTOR used Unreal Engine, expect a post

"Unreal Engine: Why? There's better!"

If SWTOR used CryEngine(1-2):

"CryEngine 1-2: Why? There's better!"

If SWTOR used Frostbite:

"Frostbite Engine: Why? There's better!"

If SWTOR Used CryEngine3:

"CryEngine3: Why? There's better!"

If SWTOR Used Frostbite 2:

"Frostbite 2 Engine: Why? There's Be-- Wait, I can't even play this game any more because I only get 10 FPS!"

Just quoted myself.

Let's not be silly and say Gamebryo worked well in Oblivion and Fallout 3, please.

Do you think a game engine is some sentient creature that decides to work or not work on its own accord? We're talking about an engine being used by completely different developers across all sorts of platforms.

It's the engines fault when one multiplatform game doesn't perform to your expectations? That's ridiculous

Vampire the masquerade had huge performance problems, is that proof Source is a bad engine?

Edited by horseworld

ability delay?!?! when did this happen? i havnt had an ability delay? plays like any other game to me. are you sure you guys arnt just spoiled????

You can hide your head in the sand if you like but there is a large % of TOR's population who are affected and this will mean the 2 million copy sold will end up just like warhammer with a 50k population in less than 6 month...

it's like buying a 200k house around 50k house you might like your house but after a while it will be worth crap because noone else like it around your place.

most "bought" engines include contracts for development and improvments, as such BIO ware can get rid of a lot of expensive developers and programmers and instead expect and get updates to the engine direct from the company they bought it from. Meanwhile they can put together expansions and extra missions far more quickly than if they were having to hand code all the development software.

Look at c ryptic they are stuck with an engine that is rather limited in what it can do they are having to constantly improve the engine to make their own games better.

- High Res textures have been removed during beta and are still not back ingame!

- Anti Aliasing has been removed during beta and is still not back ingame! And when you override it and enable it, you will be plagued with all kinds of graphical issues and artifacts, like green neon beams and walls and flickering trees in background during various cut scenes!

- Ability delay issues and ability unresponsiveness!

The above pretty much sums up the issues with this game engine and their inability to fix it!

The game might have been launched just three/four weeks ago (including headstart), but they had a very very long Closed beta before that and were not able to fix it in all that time either!

So don't have your hopes up that any of the above will be fixed any time soon!! :(

- High Res textures have been removed during beta and are still not back ingame!

- Anti Aliasing has been removed during beta and is still not back ingame! And when you override it and enable it, you will be plagued with all kinds of graphical issues and artifacts, like green neon beams and walls and flickering trees in background during various cut scenes!

- Ability delay issues and ability unresponsiveness!

High res textures are not a big issues atm tbh

AA is being worked on right now on the PTS

Read the top of General Discussion, they are working on it now and there are fixes coming within the next few patches (including 1.1)

The Hero Engine is fine, it has been heavily rewritten by BioWare so it is not the same Engine they bought. There is billions of code to TOR so they are working on it.

People just need to stop being impatient and stop trying to pin every problem on anything.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

swtor uses 7/8 cores of my i7 2600k at around 50-60% usage each evenly spread across them all.

just FYI

swtor uses 7/8 cores of my i7 2600k at around 50-60% usage each evenly spread across them all.

just FYI

That is different. Single thread processing can be spread across cores. Interlaced / threaded. Not many applications actually designate cores.

High res textures are not a big issues atm tbh

AA is being worked on right now on the PTS

Read the top of General Discussion, they are working on it now and there are fixes coming within the next few patches (including 1.1)

The Hero Engine is fine, it has been heavily rewritten by BioWare so it is not the same Engine they bought. There is billions of code to TOR so they are working on it.

People just need to stop being impatient and stop trying to pin every problem on anything.

Don't kid yourself. Nobody has the patience for this in year 2012. If I want something, I better have it Yesterday.

Seriously though, not many people are going to be willing to wait 2-3 months for BW to fix some of these major issues. It's just not worth it. It's not like this game is amazing.