Community Blog Post Discussion: New Year’s PvP Update

CourtneyWoods

to little to late.

If you ppl dont understand what will happend with brackets let me explain: the people BW decided was most important (aka the ppl who rushed to 50) and that has now been curbstomping the rest of the servers for 1.5 weeks or so many now nearing pvp rank 60 and next pvp gear set will maintain their total superiority in pvp and new 50's will have NO chance of EVER catching up.

The win ratio in this lowbie farming is 99% for most of these guys and premades.

fact is BW let this happend by letting all brackets be open just so their rushers would have something to do, obviously this was verry wrong and now has created a situation bw simply cant get out of, whatever they do at this point will have bad consequenses and wont restore the pvp balance ever agian..you only get one shot with it and no redos.

sure 1-49 will be much more fun agian but hitting 50 will be like a brick wall in pvp.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking forward to these improvements!

ATTENTION: Every single QQ'r on this forum complaining that Huttball is the only WZ they get

SOLUTION: Reroll Republic

Quite frankly, it's all your fault for choosing a side that EVERYONE knew would outnumber the other 2 to 1. Furthermore, as SOON as you hit 10, or even read the forums for a second, you would have known that Huttball was the only faction v faction WZ and if you didn't like it, you should have rerolled then.

Personally, I wanted to be a Sorc. But, I wasn't an idiot and knew that everyone else wanted to shoot lightning too, and I knew that I didn't want to be on the side that outnumbered the other 2 to 1. Now I get to enjoy instant pops of ALL types of warzones, can find a fight on almost every pvp zone, and don't have a single problem with what their plans are for the future.

How can you expect ToR to be top dog if it doesn't point-by-point matches WoW? You might as well roll over and go F2P now.

ToR needs:

1. Arenas, yes that means that class balance will need more passes and/or ranking should be class-spec dependent.

2. Rated BGs - don't bother. It didn't work in WoW, it won't work in ToR. Why? PvPers don't like logistics of having to form large groups and wait for more large groups to participate. Without cross-server matchmaking this will die to long queue times.

3. More BGs - 3 is just not nearly enough. Copy Arathi Basin and Warsong, don't bother with the rest. Also kill off Hutt, its simply not fun.

4. Vehicle PvP - it didn't exactly work well in WoW, but that was design, not functionality limitation.

Get to work, you have a lot to do to stay #1 past initial month.

Wrong wrong and just more wrong....

We do NOT NEED ARENAS OR WANT ARENAS in the WOW sense, maybe a 4 man warzone but nothing moreso unless you want to cause the balancing arms race that WOW proved cannot be balanced. Period. You want FOTM facerolling go back to wiow, I prefer PVP here where it is more skill orientated all other things being equal.

Rated Warzones is a good idea, it worked in many MMOs and giving people points for you know.. accomplishing the objective instead of just killing others and ignoring the objectives... playing stupidly...

3. Sorry, Huttball is AWESOME... it takes teamwork, it is perfect. We go 6-0 many times when its my guild and some others that know how to play it... pro tip, learn how to throw the ball and learn how to counter other classes... huttball will make you a better player.

4. I hear they have plans on turning the space combat into PVP.. all I can say there is WINNING.... that would be so awesome.

How can you expect ToR to be top dog if it doesn't point-by-point matches WoW? You might as well roll over and go F2P now.

ToR needs:

1. Arenas, yes that means that class balance will need more passes and/or ranking should be class-spec dependent.

2. Rated BGs - don't bother. It didn't work in WoW, it won't work in ToR. Why? PvPers don't like logistics of having to form large groups and wait for more large groups to participate. Without cross-server matchmaking this will die to long queue times.

3. More BGs - 3 is just not nearly enough. Copy Arathi Basin and Warsong, don't bother with the rest. Also kill off Hutt, its simply not fun.

4. Vehicle PvP - it didn't exactly work well in WoW, but that was design, not functionality limitation.

Get to work, you have a lot to do to stay #1 past initial month.

Screw it All! Why don't you just re-release SW:ToR, replace the empire and republic with Alliance and Destruction, along with everything that makes this game different than WoW, and just call it WoW!

Go back to WoW as it is quite clear you miss it.

This is game is being developed by the same folks at Mythic.

They will say many things, and do very few of them. And the bones they throw at us will make the game worse.

They will lie, mislead and talk endlessly about the "discussions" they are having about great things to come.

Anyone that played WAR and most of all DAoC, knows these things to be true.

I would have to agree. However, most would argue that WAR open PvP was probably some of the funnest of all, minus the unheardling 0 FPS and slide shows in the keeps.

Huttball

- Fight within range of the ball

- Heal the ball carrier, heal people fighting within range of the ball

- Pass the ball (maybe passing across a ledge, or to a higher levitated level would give more), recieve the ball, score the ball, pick up the ball, intercept the ball

- damage the ball carrier, guard the ball carrier

Void star

- CC someone within a certain range of a door while someone is planting the bomb

- Plant the bomb / make way through barrier

- interrupt the bomb from being planted, defuse the bomb.

- heal people fighting within the door range, damage people within range of the door

Civil war

- Fight within the turret area (could be devided into defensive and offensive wether u own the turret or not), heal within the turret area

- CC someone who is in range of the turret area while teammate is attempting to turn it

- interrupt the turret from beeing captured by the enemy

All kind of stuff can be added, that benefits your team from the objective of the warzone, rather than only killing a lot of people.

Some of those medals could hurt as well, if people blindly focus on getting them - which they sadly will. You will have people who stand around waiting for the enemy to try capping the door so they can interrupt, rather than just stopping them from even reaching the door. You will have people who refuse to pass the ball, so they can get their medal etc.

More objective based medals is a nice thing though, but maybe they should be 'clustered' together to allow people multiple ways to one objective medal, so it wont encourage people to 'game the system' more than it is already happening. Such as one medal which can be earned either by scoring in hutball, healing the carrier, killing people around the carrier or guarding the carrier - if the carrier then manages to score - instead of having a medal for each of those which would lead to everyone trying to get as many as possible of these even if it harmed the team overall.

Most of the changes Bioware is mentioning sounds nice though, but tbh, why not just allow same-faction PVP in Voidstar and Alderan? I realize it doesn't make sense in terms of the story in there, but in the end gameplay has to overrule the story.

That way we could also avoid letting people choose which warzone to sign for, which will only split up the potential pool of players to create a warzone from, and create longer queues as I see it.

Edit: Also good job on Hutball, I like it! Sure it needs some adjusting in terms of CC immunity and various class balances, but that is a general issue rather than something inherently wrong with Hutball imo.

Edited by ShadoutMapes

This all sounds great. but taking away the abilty to use companions in open world pvp does that not just defeat the whole idea of having a companions. now you wana put restritions on what you and your companion can do you cant use them in warzones so least let us use em in open world!

This all sounds great. but taking away the abilty to use companions in open world pvp does that not just defeat the whole idea of having a companions. now you wana put restritions on what you and your companion can do you cant use them in warzones so least let us use em in open world!

Agreed. Some specs are also more dependent on their companions than others for 'soloing', even if that happens to be in pvp, and for end-game it might very well be the only usage companions have (other than crafting, which hardly counts).

im actually quite happy with this... i hated companions from the start and i was pleased to see that you cant use them in most of end-game... they really are just crafting pets to me...

besides if they were on ilum all you would see are healing companions and fights would drag on for longer than they need to be... they are already fairly lengthy to begin with

Please consider doing FFA PvP with item loot.

There is currently no risk involved with PvP.

For good reason. With the way pvp is in this game you can't really take more than one person at a time. You'd walk up on two people and get smashed and drop your gear...that **** sounds like everquest.

I'm all for adding things to pvp, but before you add too much content balancing the classes and the gear bags should be the most important thing. Not everyone has the time to sit and play warzones for 20 hours a day just to have a chance to get a piece of gear. Most of the time it just drops centurion commendations anyway. What a slap in the face.

Oh and holy **** don't get me started on the republic commando's bubble shield and dps ability, or the imperial agent and its awesome range attack followed by its unparalleled melee ability with a vibroknife and a bag full of stuns. I'm sure plenty of players could continue pointing out the things in pvp that need to be fixed, so take a step back and look at the system as a whole. The idea of making each class strong enough to kill the other was good in theory, but players always find a way to abuse things. There's no reason a healer should have 300k damage in a warzone and 200k healing points all the while protected by a spammable shield. The commando/bounty hunter doesn't need a ton of stuns, awesome ranged attacks and insane dps while decked out in the heaviest armor in the game. Whoever thought of that should be kicked in the shin.

I could really spend all day laughing and ************ about the pvp system in this game. I do like it, and about 90% of the time it's a blast. The game is new and fresh, but the game needs some serious love.

Maybe think about tiering pvp by level and valor so that way the 50 bracket doesn't have to be dominated by full geared pvp people.

Edited by Dyne-

im actually quite happy with this... i hated companions from the start and i was pleased to see that you cant use them in most of end-game... they really are just crafting pets to me...

besides if they were on ilum all you would see are healing companions and fights would drag on for longer than they need to be... they are already fairly lengthy to begin with

Id imagine that they would do it so pets are restricted from the pvp area on ilum not just in open world pvp in general. And as other have said getting everyone with healing pets in there would just turn everything into a multiple hour long stalemate.

Pets are already restricted from open world heroic bosses like Trapjaw.

There's no reason a healer should have 300k damage in a warzone and 200k healing points all the while protected by a spammable shield. The commando/bounty hunter doesn't need a ton of stuns, awesome ranged attacks and insane dps while decked out in the heaviest armor in the game. Whoever thought of that should be kicked in the shin..

Your bad. Don't let the healers cast their heals. Interrupts and stuns are their to prevent large healing numbers. Make them rely on the lesser instants.

Your bad. Don't let the healers cast their heals. Interrupts and stuns are their to prevent large healing numbers. Make them rely on the lesser instants.

I don't engage in forum flame wars, I just stated my opinion so you can put your dick back in your pants. If you can lock down a fully geared healer by yourself good on you. Also you're probably the best player i've ever heard of since i've never seen a melee do it alone. I'd like to see you play sometime.

Ilum is quite fun from my perspective, but it wasn't properly marketed.

It shouldn't be called open world pvp but open world "brotherly love the opposing faction zone of fluffy feelings"

I do illum daily's for a few days now and have not seen ANYONE engage in pvp combat, oh and there are lots of Imperials, they just hoot and beg and cheer for you to cap, seriously imbalanced server.

What about the horrendous FPS drops a very large and vocal group of players have been experiencing inside warzones?

What about the ability lag?

What about adding more than three warzones? What about making PvP gear not piss-easy to get and have it not be the ONLY thing to do at end-game?

"We are all really excited at the tremendous volume of participation we’ve seen in PvP thus far. Your interest and demand dictates what we’ll be delivering in the near future."

We're not doing it because the PvP in this game is mind-blowing, we're doing it because there's nothing else do.

When are you going to realise the game has been out for 2 weeks!! seriously what is wrong with all of you people? They are not going to release a game thats going to be exactly like WoW.. and to be honest why would you want that?!

Lets face it there is going to be problems and things that have to be built on but for the love of god learn a little fricking patience!! I'd love for you to make a game and have it perfect for release!!

One thing I will say if you can fix the lag in the PvP I will love you forever =D but for the QQers if you don't like it and you can't be patient enough for things to be fixed.. Leave you will not be missed!!

Yes this all sounds great but please, but please try to get PVP outside of warzones! Please implement real open world PVP or Realm vs Realm. Because I am pretty sure that THIS is what your PVP player base really wants.

Bioware. You want incentives for people to go out into Ilum to do open world PVP and I couldn't agree with you more. Also I like that you recognize PVP as a major part of the game.

However on my server as Republic we are probably outnumbered 1:4 in Illum at best. So what is my incentive to go out in the completely Imperial controlled Ilum and being farmed like a boss at the scales 1:4 and on top of that seeing that the enemies get 200% valor for controlling all when I get 100%?

In Warhammer Online the underdog was rewarded with a renown(valor) boost for taking up a seemingly hopeless battle against the zerg. The boost made up for the underdogs killing fewer of the enemies because they were much fewer in numbers. Here you want to reward the side that has the numbers on their side and will already dominate the enemies?

I want an Ilum with incentives too but an incentive for me is not going out to be farmed like some grey mob because the server is not balanced. Not gonna happen Bioware. You gotta give us something for fighting against all odds like in Warhammer or open world PVP will be base camping the underdogs 24/7.

You have developers from DAOC and Warhammer Online. They will know this is true.