Community Blog Post Discussion: New Year’s PvP Update

CourtneyWoods

^ THIS!

+ That you just said that Imperials already steamroll us in every Warzone there is.

That really doesn't have much to do with population imbalance. I've seen how the Republic plays in Warzones, having both played Trooper and Sniper. And uhhh... The problem is how uncoordinated and unfocused the Republic is. In one match of Void Star, on my sniper, we took the first room within the first 30 seconds because the Republic decided to fight us at our spawn point instead of the doors. So I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with population imbalance.

Intelligence imbalance, maybe. >.>

Edited by Vaegaknight

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To note again: The basic requirement for open PvP are Factions with a balanced population.

SWTOR is lacking that.

Ilum with Kill quests (or in general also) will never work without any sort of Buff for the underpopulated faction.

Very few people are at max yet and amounts of people on each faction varies depending on server, so 1 you don't know what it's gonna be like when there are more people at max level and 2 pop balance will be different on each server and you cant tell people that they have to play empire or they have to play republic. It's like this in all mmos, you have to learn to live with it because there is nothing you or the devs can do about it without p*ssing somebody off...

A 50 Only Bracket when my Server has i think 4 50 Republic me being one would be absolutely horrible, the WZ que times will go thru the freaking roof and you will lose players im sure of this...

So i honestly hope you do something to remedy this foreseen outcome or be prepared to lose some players period...

The guy says, "Sorry republic, but empire wins 53% of the time".

Ya I can understand that. Is it because empire is better than republic at pvp? Possibly, but in truth they a slight advantage over the republic.

A few examples of this is the troopers full auto ability takes 1.5 seconds to start doing damage on his or her channeled ability and even with 75% push back protection from talents just one hit from an enemy player will make it hit twice instead of three times as opposed to the bounty hunter which does dmg right away and can get hit two or three times before losing a hit on the ability.

Jedi sage has project which is an instant cast spell. But with the animation of pulling a rock out of the ground then flying towards the target it can take up to two seconds to hit the target after you hit the ability. The inquisitor version of project hits instantly because of the lightning animation.

The smuggler healer gets a talent that increases crit healing bonus by 15% where as the operative version gives 30%.

The operative flash grenade is on a 1 min cd vs the smuggler 1.5 minute cd...

I can see why they have an advantage in win loss ratio. Empire "mirror" classes have an advantage over their republic counter parts.

Very excited about these changes. Seems Ilum fixes may go live by the time I'm high enough level to be there. Also, I did stop doing Warzones on my second character due to the frustration of running into 50s. The sooner people with Expertise have their own brackets, the better.

Please o Please dont add Arena's like WoW or PVP Stat tracking that encorages 'ratings'.......

Nice fixes for Illum and all we need now is to sort out pop inbalances!. Why not indicate on Server Select screen faction shortages and give a bonus to xp for leveling and rewards to encourage people to pick a faction?

Please o Please dont add Arena's like WoW or PVP Stat tracking that encorages 'ratings'.......

Nice fixes for Illum and all we need now is to sort out pop inbalances!. Why not indicate on Server Select screen faction shortages and give a bonus to xp for leveling and rewards to encourage people to pick a faction?

No to the first part, and yes to the second...

65% of ppl didnt much care for arena and still dont...

And what about faction imbalance in Ilum?

How are you supposed to kill the other faction, if they're outnumbering you by 2 to 1.

2:1 dam your lucky, on my server its more like 4:1 sith, with 2:1 of sorcerers alone.

The changes sound great and i had every faith in Bioware having played a lot of their games before it is obvious they are incredible at what they do.

I think the changes made to illum will be interesting but not sure it will increase the traffic in the world PvP area as much as Bioware and all of us are hoping largely due to the population differences.

Possibly a solution would be to have Illum as an open world and also cross realm instance which has a faction balance implemented into it. So that when you arrive at the area to do some world pvp you are joined to the world pvp instance. The cross realm functionality will ensure that the area remains busy most of the time and the faction balance will ensure that it remains fair. If the factions are not balanced and you try to travel to Illum it should just place you in a queue system.

The fact that it is an instance may very slightly take away the feeling of world PvP but i belive overall that the size of the battle area and that fact that there is no real end to the battle will make for a very nice world PvP experience.

Anyway just a thought.

Looking forward to the updates.

Pretty excited about the initial direction they're taking....

Anything to make World PvP better is a big plus. It's good but World PvP really makes a PvP server healthy. I like having the Warzones but you don't want to make them to the point they empty your PvP population into instances leaving your server a ghost town. However, you can make them a secondary path, it needs to be done so...

Thanks guys for your attention and efforts in regards to PvP!

The incentives are great.

However, one question, that i would like to ask Bioware, what are meant by player kills giving valor? Will they give you only valor? What about Commendations? Will Mercenary commendations drop from players now?

I'm playing on a fairly low population server at the moment. That being said, the addition of kills to the Ilum Daily/Weekly is going to make it near impossible to complete on my server. At PEAK times Empire has approximately 16 level 50's online, and the Republic have even less.

The only way I'm able to even complete my daily at the moment is by making a Republic alt and asking their level 50's to go cap it so I can backcap it. Trading kills is not going to happen since they're putting DR on it as well.

Other than the Ilum Daily/Weekly kill addition, I'm excited to see all of the other changes.

Edited by Zurges

Lame changes, really.

I miss DAoC RvR alot, why didn't they think about a similar system??

I had a reason to login in those nights and go conquer an objective, here I don't have a reson to, simply as that.

Warzones suck, dailys are not good enough to give me a reason.

Please improve PVP alot or else many players will quit, thats for real.

Pleased to see development in pvp, its one of the things that is very frustrating at the moment.

The mechanics are fine, balance seems reasonable so far though I have yet to test other classes in pvp.

My main gripe is with hutball being the only game I can get to play in 9/10 of warzones, I really enjoy the other modes (especially alderaan) but cannot choose them. Please either enable selective warzones or same faction warzones asap.

Preferably do both.

Honestly all these changes will never change the fact that on almost every server (IMHO) Empire outnumbers Republic by like 8:1. On my server alone around like 78% of the population is Empire.

I can see it now, I get my republic toon to Illum only to get swamped by like 100 Empire toons waiting for that one single Republic toon to show up.

The faction balance of this game is a joke. Sadly I understand Biowares situation and there really isn't they can do to fix this. They can't force people to switch or play another side.

I believe someone mentioned AION's approach to this was to restrict character creation based on population but that idea failed.

Sometimes I almost feel at least on my Republic toon that I should just reroll Empire and be done with it.

I'm playing on a fairly low population server at the moment. That being said, the addition of kills to the Ilum Daily/Weekly is going to make it near impossible to complete on my server. At PEAK times Empire has approximately 16 level 50's online, and the Republic have even less.

The only way I'm able to even complete my daily at the moment is by making a Republic alt and asking their level 50's to go cap it so I can backcap it. Trading kills is not going to happen since they're putting DR on it as well.

Other than the Ilum Daily/Weekly kill addition, I'm excited to see all of the other changes.

This also, but we have maybe 5 50s on my Republic side, so if this makes the que time for WZ go past 5mins im out, i wont deal with this again like i did in wow...

This also, but we have maybe 5 50s on my Republic side, so if this makes the que time for WZ go past 5mins im out, i wont deal with this again like i did in wow...

The game has only just been released and youre probably on a new server. Give it time to balance out.

Something that they can do to even out the Empire vs Republic numbers is increase the amount of slots per server to 16.

Right now there are several guilds that are being created on both sides. This will allow members of a medium size guild to enter warzones on either side, mainly one that has faster queues. Also allow rated Guild vs Guild warzones would get some people involved as well.

So you want an even more advantage over a pug group in a WZ? are you out of your mind? the only way this would be accepted would be if you group que up like that you have to wait till another group that size ques. its only fair

Pug vs Pug= Fair

Pre vs Pre=Fair

Pug vs Pre = Unbalanced

Pug vs Pre x 2= Not even a chance

Valor buffs are nice, but not enough. Look to the greatest open world PVP games. Lineage had castles guilds could own, through battling for them in open world PVP, which allowed them to set tax rates on surrounding lands.

DAoC had best open world PVP ... 3 faction open world pvp with keeps and realm items to steal and hold for bonus melee dmg and spell dmg etc etc...