SWTOR More Active Players than WoW!

Tiriensoul

Star Wars The Old Republic:

The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers.

Link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1057141-SWTOR-has-more-active-players-than-WOW-atm-in-US-and-EU-regions

Just found it, take it for what it is. But kinda neat anyway, if it's true ofcourse.

I don't care about either, as long as BioWare gets enough money to give us expansions and me a new car, boat & house.

:)

You dont need a "firm". Consider to follow this live-statistics over the next weeks and you will notice lower numbers of players and not more.

http://www.swtorarena.com/statistics/

Especially when the free subs are running out in 2 weeks...

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the linked article.

"How successful is Star Wars: The Old Republic? That's hard to say definitively, but according to Baird Equity Research, BioWare's maiden massively multiplayer voyage is doing just fine. "We view the early success of Star Wars as an indication of a healthy MMO market," said Baird spokesman Colin Sebastian. The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers (124 in America and 91 in Europe).

That's a far cry from the 491 servers currently in use by World of Warcraft players, and though some analysts and fans expected TOR to compete with Blizzard's subscription king, Cowen and Company says the new title has had "minimal apparent impact" on the market leader."

You just owned the OP. :D

Now can we stop with these silly threads of proving it better then WoW? Why can't they co - exist? Is it really vital to "beat" Blizzard? No it isn't.

Again good post. :D

At peak it was about 5.8 million NA/Europe. About 6.8 million Asia. They've both had some small drops. But both groups are still bigger than SWTOR.

This isn't necessarily true.

We know TOR currently has around 2 million (will drop after free month for sure, but that's how MMOs work).

WoW currently has between 1-3 million subs (Western market). So it's possible that right now, TOR is bigger. It's also quite possible that even after the "after free month" drop in subs, TOR will have more subs than WoW.

Regardless, they will be very close in numbers.

World Of Warcraft:

World of Warcraft has total of 266435 players weekly average logged on peak hours in US and EU regions combined.

Link: http://www.warcraftrealms.com/weeklyfactionactivity.php

Star Wars The Old Republic:

The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers.

Link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01/03/research-firm-swtor-has-350-000-peak-concurrent-users/

Source: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1057141-SWTOR-has-more-active-players-than-WOW-atm-in-US-and-EU-regions

Just found it, take it for what it is. But kinda neat anyway, if it's true ofcourse.

I don't care about either, as long as BioWare gets enough money to give us expansions and me a new car, boat & house.

:)

Doesn't surprise me at all the last time I played WoW over a year ago it was a dead world/server everywhere but the main cities. Every zone was like a barren empty wasteland, even with the sharding in SWTOR I still encountered more players on a regular basis on every planet I played on than in WoW.

packed ?

are you aware that wow does not have instancing, and therefore if 50 people are logged into a zone, they all end up in the same zone ?

and packed ? REALLY ?!

even on long holidays, i have not ever seen more than 100 people in stormwind. and mine was top rp server in europe - a server which was the oldest and had the biggest pop (even u.s players were opening chars by acquiring eu editions through other means), and people had the tendency to loiter about stormwind and do rp.

lets look at swtor :

at EVERY zone, i see at least 100 people in one instance, and another 100 people in at least 1 more instance.

that makes 200 people. ANY non starter zone has more people than stormwind ever had in my entire 5 years of playtime, and this includes christmas events and celebrations that were done in-server.

Don't lie. You are of course referring to Earthen Ring, where SW was always empty compared to IF or Og. Mainly because 85% of the population weren't RPers but had enough respect to just let RPers have SW (or UC). The majority of that 85% hung out in either If or Og, which were always very busy in vanilla.

The real judge of SWTOR will be in 3 or 6 months time when the hype of release has died down and the sub levels have stabilised. To be entirely honest I should imagine they will level off and then drop steadily until a reasonable plateau is reached. At which point EA will assess if the game is turning enough of a profit to not just put it into maintenance mode.

Edited by cakeyeah

Well WoW has or had something between 1-2 million subs on the US servers at one time or another. It's probably less now. The majority of players are in China & Korea though since they don't pay for subs.

Why don't they pay for subs?

Doesn't surprise me at all the last time I played WoW over a year ago it was a dead world/server everywhere but the main cities. Every zone was like a barren empty wasteland, even with the sharding in SWTOR I still encountered more players on a regular basis on every planet I played on than in WoW.

Probably because SWTOR players are funneled into the same linear pathways when they are planetside ;)

From the linked article.

"How successful is Star Wars: The Old Republic? That's hard to say definitively, but according to Baird Equity Research, BioWare's maiden massively multiplayer voyage is doing just fine. "We view the early success of Star Wars as an indication of a healthy MMO market," said Baird spokesman Colin Sebastian. The firm estimates that TOR has approximately 350,000 peak concurrent users spread across 215 servers (124 in America and 91 in Europe).

That's a far cry from the 491 servers currently in use by World of Warcraft players, and though some analysts and fans expected TOR to compete with Blizzard's subscription king, Cowen and Company says the new title has had "minimal apparent impact" on the market leader."

Not only did the OP compare a peak value to an average, he posted the peak value completely out of the context intended by the authority he was appealing to.

The average voltage across an electrical outlet in the US is zero. The peak will make you wish you hadn't stuck a fork in it.

Edited by twogirlsoneup

Who cares, the first free month is'nt even over for swtor.(and this is only eu/na, wow got a big player base in asia)

Check the numbers in a few months when the free month is over for everyone and the kotor 3 players is tired of leveling alts.

And out of the left comes,

World of Tanks, 18+ million players, and to put the swtor servers to shame, holding the world record of 250.000+ concurrent players on a single server shard. None of these 200 players per shard nonsense.

Farmville, that's the real deal.

Don't lie. You are of course referring to Earthen Ring, where SW was always empty compared to IF or Og. Mainly because 85% of the population weren't RPers but had enough respect to just let RPers have SW (or UC). The majority of that 85% hung out in either If or Og, which were always very busy in vanilla.

i was referring to argent dawn, which is the FIRST ever rp server of wow, europe's biggest rp server, and in most respects one of the biggest pve servers. i also can speak for ravenholdt, and to some extent frostmane.

Again just to reiterate, WoW still has over 10 million players worldwide who play it regularly.

oooooooooooooovvv. 'regularly'... where have you made that statistic.

NOTHING on the internet can have even over 50% active users per base of subscribers - except small niche stuff. goes valid from google to ebay. wow is not an exception. they have 10 million subscribers, MOST of them INACTIVE, like my subscription.

Again just to reiterate, WoW still has over 10 million players worldwide who play it regularly.

Not really, about 6 to 8 of those millions are apparently in China and they pay for hour, now neither of us knows how many hours you need to play, let's say a month, to be counted in those millions.

Likewise, if you play for one month and then quit you'll likely still enter in the numbers for that quarter. Public companies play a lot with numbers to avoid losing points on the stock market.

That's one of the reasons Blizzard launched the "pay 12 months of wow and get D3 free" deal

Not really, about 6 to 8 of those millions are apparently in China and they pay for hour, now neither of us knows how many hours you need to play, let's say a month, to be counted in those millions.

Likewise, if you play for one month and then quit you'll likely still enter in the numbers for that quarter. Public companies play a lot with numbers to avoid losing points on the stock market.

That's one of the reasons Blizzard launched the "pay 12 months of wow and get D3 free" deal

Sub numbers are 'snapshot' numbers when shared with the public. They are the number of active subs at that point in time. That day. EA/BW will share their sub info in the same manner.

As far as Blizz, Asia makes up only 6% of WOW's revenue and the split is more like 60/40,65/35 than the 6-8 million you have listed there.

Sub numbers are 'snapshot' numbers when shared with the public. They are the number of active subs at that point in time. That day. EA/BW will share their sub info in the same manner.

As far as Blizz, Asia makes up only 6% of WOW's revenue and the split is more like 60/40,65/35 than the 6-8 million you have listed there.

China is where they have the 6-8 million subs, however they don't pay as much as we do here. But if China(Asia) Were to give it up, even tho it still has easily 3-5 million in EU/NA people would still think it's dying.

It's wierd, that we have to like Justin bieber and play the sims just because other people do it, where is the self respect i wonder.

Not really, about 6 to 8 of those millions are apparently in China and they pay for hour, now neither of us knows how many hours you need to play, let's say a month, to be counted in those millions

They are Asians.

Of course they play regularly and probably much more then anyone else.