and that's why we let you die

Yuichix

I don't go out of my way seeking recognition for healing.

I don't thank DPS for doing damage and paying extreme attention to their rotations.

I don't thank tanks for doing their job and handling aggro appropriately.

Why should I be special? It's a team game. You don't thank a quarter back every time you get a touch down, the whole team celebrates the achievement.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aware that people make mistakes and foul up mechanics. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about tanks / healers that are genuinely bad but expect to have no-one point it out because they are a tank or healer.

Or make forum posts saying they are going to let people die because 1 person didn't say thankyou for them performing the role they chose to play.

Yeah that's just being bad at the game. But in the OPs case it seemed to be more about random grouping/being out questing. It takes a lot to get into the "Not worth my FP die in a fire" category of triage in my book. I still stop and save people when they are getting killed, not because I want a e-pat on the back, but because it's a decent thing to do and since I started back in EQ I've always been decent to other players. Sure there is no corpse run in this game, but it still sucks to die and if I can make someones day less sucky I will do it. I don't need to be told thank you, it's what I enjoy doing when i play the game.

Didn't mean to sound snappy at ya but when people go with the Group X of players is entitled line I get upset, even tho I've seen a tank stall a dungeon already because of a loot roll he disagreed with. I just blacklisted him, told my rather large /friends list (the joys of being a good healer) about him, and moved along.

Generalize much? I just don't find your argument very convincing. I play both and I don't feel particularly entitled. If you have an issue with a healer/tank, why aren't you calling them on it?

I think you're confusing high expectations with the ability to perform adequately. Having excess of a certain class type doesn't increase expectation much beyond 'don't stand in the bad stuff and/or go afk'.

What planet do you live on that tanks/healers don't get called out for causing wipes?

People will be happy to get rid of the dps because (as you've noted) there are plenty more where he/she came from.

Why is it, in your opinion, that dps outnumber tanks/healers by such a wide margin? Seriously, can you not see the contradiction in your own argument?

Yes I am generalising, I'm going off of the majority.

I always pick up people for fouling up, DPS, Tank or Healer. I get far more 'you do it then' **** off bad tanks and healers.

Just saying the expectations arent higher doesn't make it true, I'm also very unconvinced by your argument. Probably play a tank or healer and have had your feathers ruffled by the post, and I'll continue to think that you are a tank/healer even if you claim not to be due to the belittleing and ignorant nature of your 'argument'.

The reason that DPS outnumber the other classes, in my opinion, is that DPS appeals to a greater audience. I have a few chars on a certain other MMO, all but one of them is capable of all 3 roles depending on spec. DPS is unequivically more fun for me.

If you find heals/tanking more fun, grats to you, just don't develop a 'you do it then' attitude when people point out you should maybe have dispelled that debuff on the tank.

Lot of people are ungrateful jerks.

Don't let that stop you from healing people because when those of us who appreciate it say thanks, you'll forget the jerks.

This is the correct advice.

Also, I buff people all the time and don't get one in return, but I blame that on the minimal animation/effects. Unless they're really paying attention, they have no idea what just happened.

if i said ty everytiem i got healed. id be saying ty every 2.5 seconds most of the time. but i always thank the healers and the other players that help me complete party quest.

Hm.... a "thank you" macro... yeah, that's the ticket! :D

Yes I am generalising, I'm going off of the majority.

Majority of what?

I always pick up people for fouling up, DPS, Tank or Healer. I get far more 'you do it then' **** off bad tanks and healers.

So do I. I tend to get more crap from dps. Perspectives differ I guess.

Just saying the expectations arent higher doesn't make it true, I'm also very unconvinced by your argument. Probably play a tank or healer and have had your feathers ruffled by the post, and I'll continue to think that you are a tank/healer even if you claim not to be due to the belittleing and ignorant nature of your 'argument'.

I admitted to playing both tank/healer in my last post. I dont' get my 'feathers ruffled' by legitimate criticism. If I'm failing an encounter mechanic, I'm more than willing to take pointers. Maybe next time read the post in its entirety.

The reason that DPS outnumber the other classes, in my opinion, is that DPS appeals to a greater audience. I have a few chars on a certain other MMO, all but one of them is capable of all 3 roles depending on spec. DPS is unequivically more fun for me.

Dps appeals to more people because there is less chance they'll get called out for not performing. In essence, because there is less personal responsibility involved. I'm not going to get much more into that. If you're convinced that dps is the ultimate test of skill in an MMO, there's not much I'm going to do to convince you otherwise. Just don't try passing it off as verifiable fact.

If you find heals/tanking more fun, grats to you, just don't develop a 'you do it then' attitude when people point out you should maybe have dispelled that debuff on the tank.

I've admitted multiple times in my posts here that good tanks/healers dont' do those things, yet you're still getting defensive about it. I've said on at least one occasion that I find all 3 roles equally challenging to do well. But there's no question that there's less personal responsibility for dps. And that's why there's more of them.

i play a consular sage healer. i always help peopel fight whether it be random or boss fights. i'll stand there spamming heal and support for them. 95% say thank you and sometimes help me out or send me a fr. small percent of people say nothing and just walk off. Edited by Crysis

For all those that feel neglected by other people for not saying thanks.

Roll onto a Rp or rp-pvp server.

people are much nicer there. 9 of the 10 people i randomly heal will say thank you or if your like me (a bounty hunter) will even pay you like 100 creds for the heals.

come on over to Lord Calypso. a much nicer place to be for all those healers that feel under appreciated.

That was all.

kthxbye

~Blessed

Edited by blessedone

I really hate the "holier than thou" attitude some healers have. You chose to play a healer, you chose to heal that person struggling against those mobs... it doesn't mean they HAVE to thank you. If they asked for help then it's a different story of course.

I've always healed and I do it because I enjoy it, not to have everyone bow down and worship me. Yes I heal random people as well as buff them but I don't expect anything in return, I do it because it's what I like to do. We get more than enough recognition in my opinion... I am always getting messages in PVP saying thanks and getting the majority of the MVP votes. Other roles like my hubby who is a DPS (Sentinel) also work their arses off and don't get anywhere near as much gratitude for it!

So if you are only running around healing random people who don't ask for your help, then expecting a "thank you" then it's you that has the problem.

Had this happen a few times also. Someone fighting a large group of mobs, about to die for sure. I healed them until the fight was over, made sure they were fully buffed and ready for their next battle. Not even a quick 'Ty' from them. They just went off after they finished.

I didn't expect 'OMG you saved my life, however can I repay you', but a simple /bow or 'Ty' would be nice. I also used to buff everyone I passed, but soon stopped that. It's not about needing to be needed, I genuinely just like to help people if I can.

Edited by Cordelia

I choose to heal. If I'm going by and you look like you might die, I'll throw ya a heal and go on my way. If you feel like saying thanks, that's cool. if you don't, that's fine too.

I don't go around looking for a "Thanks" for doing my role choice.

Edit: and to that really awesome DPS that said "Shut up and heal". I might be just a tad slow and you might die on accidental purpose.

Edited by Resallaprov

I find this hilarious. Why would anyone ever thank a healing class for doing what they're supposed to do? Do you ever thank me for doing a lot of damage? Or do you thank the tank every time he holds a trash mob together? Get over yourself for being a healer. It's what you chose to do, so do it.

EDIT: Unless you are talking about healers just walking by and randomly healing, not that they're in your group. If so, then yes, definitely say thank you.

Edited by QBSlide

I try to help no matter my role. If I spot someone about to die, I run in and burst some DPS/Tank/Healz and do my thing. If they thank me, cool. If not, no big. I'm weird that way, I suppose, but I don't like to just sit back and watch someone die. :/ Had it happen to me way too many times.

I find this hilarious. Why would anyone ever thank a healing class for doing what they're supposed to do? Do you ever thank me for doing a lot of damage? Or do you thank the tank every time he holds a trash mob together? Get over yourself for being a healer. It's what you chose to do, so do it.

EDIT: Unless you are talking about healers just walking by and randomly healing, not that they're in your group. If so, then yes, definitely say thank you.

Yes, we are talking about when you help a random person in the game world. Obviously in a group you are just there doing you job and don't expect thanks.

If you're in a group - everyone does what he/she signed on to do, no need for thanks. Though a "nicely done" when deserved can go a long way.

But I think the thread is about "randomly" helping people in need (meaning you just happen to be in reach and toss them a heal/help them finish the fight).

By the by: I do play a healer because I like to be able to help out in a pinch :-). I don't expect to be thanked (it's always nice, though). But I do expect not to be taken advantage of.

Edited by Muesliac

I totally help other local players out whenever I can. See someone getting pounded? Ill step in and help, its not like im kill stealing. Dont have a healer, but I would easily throw a heal out if needed. I also throw buffs on pretty much anyone who is near me. Its cool when they reciprocate, but I dont rage if not.

Now if youre part of the other faction ... well youre on your own. In fact I might pull mobs to your location if it were possible.

If you're in a group - everyone does what he/she signed on to do, no need for thanks. Though a "nicely done" when deserved can go a long way.

But I think the thread is about "randomly" helping people in need (meaning you just happen to be in reach and toss them a heal/help them finish the fight).

By the by: I do play a healer because I like to be able to help out in a pinch :-). I don't expect to be thanked (it's always nice, though). But I do expect not to be taken advantage of.

Yeah there have been times I get a "Nice heals dude!" from a group but that's the last place I expect or even want to hear it. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but I don't want/need pats on the back for doing my job, I enjoy seeing full healthbars and dead bosses and that's reward enough for me.

*EDIT -- to elaborate when I play SC2 i don't expect someone to say "Sweet blink micro, thanks for playing the game well and beating me." I don't expect someone in Soul Calibur to say "Awesome guard impact+Retort combo!" I get joy out of playing the game well, I do not need someone to tell me that I am playing the game well, and when people do it feels a bit fake, sorta like I am a shortbus kid they are reassuring...

Edited by Battyone

i dont understand why your so sensative lol i never hear "GJ Tanking and soaking up all the damage so the healer only has to heal you while the dps takes 0 damage because of how great you tanked" it a game, understand you did your part got your loot and move on. With that being said i alwasy tell the healer who allowed me to tank a boss for 10 minutes that he did a good job, never do i hear it back though.