and that's why we let you die

Yuichix

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your fighting the Final Boss of a bonus stage mission. Your dying. A class that can heal, heals you and you manage to win because of them.

Do you say ty?-No

Do you stay and help them? -no

So when some class that can heal runs up and watches you die and you rage over it, be mad at the 50 others players that did not say or do anything when that class helped them.

Well, first off if i get healed near death and i win (meaning the outcome changed) i'd say thank you and problably invite them on some quests, however i'm getting tired of healers in groups acting like they are the forces gift to the universe because they can throw heals, yes, i'm DPS and though healers and tanks are needed, DPS are needed just as much good DPS players can turn the tide in many outcomes, same as tanks or healers.

Your fighting the Final Boss of a bonus stage mission. Your dying. A class that can heal, heals you and you manage to win because of them.

Do you say ty?-No

So when some class that can heal runs up and watches you die and you rage over it, be mad at the 50 others players that did not say or do anything when that class helped them.

Ah, as if I've never DPS helped someone with a boss only to have them turn away.

Healers aren't the only ones who see ungratefulness.

Can I time it as critically as a healer? No. But I still help. And still don't get thanked.

Get off your high horse. If you want to help people, help them. If you don't, don't.

If I choose to intervene and heal someone, I do so because I want them to win and I don't want to stand there and watch them die when I know I could help. That's it. I don't do it so I'll get thanked. *shrug*

If I then need help with killing something, I ask for it.

I don't get thanked for not drooling on/soiling myself either!

Messed up man.

Funny you say that, since DPS is the role that has the highest skill ceiling, highest expectations, highest competition in raid, lowest tolerance for failure and gets the least respect.

God forbid you point out that a healer failed at whack-a-mole or that a tank isnt keeping threat(because he is bad at his role not due to others being silly with agro), or is failing at walking the boss out of the swirly **** hes stood in.

If I choose to intervene and heal someone, I do so because I want them to win and I don't want to stand there and watch them die when I know I could help. That's it. I don't do it so I'll get thanked. *shrug*

If I then need help with killing something, I ask for it.

Good man. The world needs more healers like you.

You're the kind of player that has a tendency to die in horrible pains in my flash point.

You on the other hand, are the kind of healer that would never be in my operation/flashpoint.

Edited by aimbotcfg

Lot of people are ungrateful jerks.

Don't let that stop you from healing people because when those of us who appreciate it say thanks, you'll forget the jerks.

Indeed as a dps class I've helped people out when they were on the verge of death fighting a nasty mob or a big mob and they never buff you or say ty or anything.

This is the nature of some players.

I "guard" healers, and others , all the time. I don't get a thanks either. In fact, people who heal get thanks way more than people who guard. So you do you thank those that guard you?

You may want to check if someone is guarding you and you can thank them for helping you stay alive longer.

The issue with guard though is that you cannot guard as many people as healers can heal and it is very difficult even knowing you are guarded.

As a off healer in pvp with my current spec I likely have been guarded less than 10 times ever yet healed hundreds of players.

You do it to win just like I do it to win. No thanks should be needed or asked for. The OP whining about not being thanked is a conceited act. A dps'r can only help by assisting killing something as they cannot heal you yet get yelled at often for jumping on someone elses mob.

This is the issue with real life. People refuse to help others because they expect something in return. Real humans are selfless ... not what we are seeing now in most 1st world nations.

Funny you say that, since DPS is the role that has the highest skill ceiling, highest expectations, highest competition in raid, lowest tolerance for failure and gets the least respect.

God forbid you point out that a healer failed at whack-a-mole or that a tank isnt keeping threat(because he is bad at his role not due to others being silly with agro), or is failing at walking the boss out of the swirly **** hes stood in.

Highest skill ceiling? No.

Highest expectations? No.

Highest competition? Yes.

Healers/Tanks get called out all the time. Pretty much constantly in any group/raid setting. Raid design still hasn't found satisfactory ways (aside from enrage mechanics) to test the skill of individual dps. I'm not saying dps is easy (rather its not any more demanding from a technical standpoint than tanking or healing) and I'm not saying people should be forced to bow and scrape before tanks/healers.

What I'm saying is that its easier to get along as a mediocre player if you're dps.

if you want to help. help.

helping and expecting gratitude. i dunno... dosen't really engender sympathy when you were only helping to get thanks?!?

as a rule. if someone is tackling a elite or something open world. and they look like they need a hand. i'll jump in... dps/heal or whatever. if they stick around. cool. if not.

meh. i didn't do it for them

Highest skill ceiling? No.

Highest expectations? No.

Highest competition? Yes.

Healers/Tanks get called out all the time. Pretty much constantly in any group/raid setting. Raid design still hasn't found satisfactory ways (aside from enrage mechanics) to test the skill of individual dps. I'm not saying dps is easy (rather its not any more demanding from a technical standpoint than tanking or healing) and I'm not saying people should be forced to bow and scrape before tanks/healers.

What I'm saying is that its easier to get along as a mediocre player if you're dps.

Thats just completely untrue I'm afraid, There is such a lack of tanks and healers that they have an entitlement complex. If you point out that they are doing something wrong, holy jesus watch the reaction.

The highest expectations are leveled at DPS I'm afraid, simply due to there being far more of them. In any game with any form of combat log / meter a 'mediocr' DPS will get torn apart and dropped from the group even if they are doing adequate damage for the encounter. A healer or tank can cause multiple wipes from being bad before anyone has the nuts to call them on it because of their attitude and the shortage of them.

The higher competition causes the higher standards and pushes the skill ceiling higher. As long as a tank can move and keep agro he is safe. As long as a healer can just about keep enough of the raid up to get through the fight he is safe. If a dps is doing lower damage than the rest of the group or fails to move once or twice people will be happy to get rid of him, even if his damage is adequate.

Thats just completely untrue I'm afraid, There is such a lack of tanks and healers that they have an entitlement complex. If you point out that they are doing something wrong, holy jesus watch the reaction.

The problem I see, as both a former DPS player for 6+ years, and as a healer today is that a lot of time healers get blamed when people straight up fail mechanics. Someone stands in fire? Blame the healers! Group wiped because we didn't handle the boss right and we hit a soft enrage? Blame the healers! DPS player X pulled aggro! Blame the Tank! Sure the mob was CC'ed and the tank was holding the rest of the pack fine...etc.

Yes it does work both ways, but honestly everyone and I mean EVERYONE flips their wig when you point out they are doing something wrong, unless it's a guildie and you have a healthy raiding guild, then it gets joked about/handled and doesn't happen again. (And brought up every so often to bust the balls of said player.)

right now my main character is my Sage, and im usually the healer in a group, so i take it for granted that thats what im there for, it would be nice to be thanked in a group for healing everyone and keeping them alive, but then i dont think youre talking about groups are you? just in general gaming where anyone can run by??..even then it would be nice if someone thanked for being healed.

Im usually buffing or healing characters in game as i run by or notice them when im standing there, i think people dont even notice half the time when it happens..even though the game shows/tells you that its happened.

Generalize much? I just don't find your argument very convincing. I play both and I don't feel particularly entitled. If you have an issue with a healer/tank, why aren't you calling them on it?

The highest expectations are leveled at DPS I'm afraid, simply due to there being far more of them. In any game with any form of combat log / meter a 'mediocr' DPS will get torn apart and dropped from the group even if they are doing adequate damage for the encounter. A healer or tank can cause multiple wipes from being bad before anyone has the nuts to call them on it because of their attitude and the shortage of them.

I think you're confusing high expectations with the ability to perform adequately. Having excess of a certain class type doesn't increase expectation much beyond 'don't stand in the bad stuff and/or go afk'.

What planet do you live on that tanks/healers don't get called out for causing wipes?

The higher competition causes the higher standards and pushes the skill ceiling higher. As long as a tank can move and keep agro he is safe. As long as a healer can just about keep enough of the raid up to get through the fight he is safe. If a dps is doing lower damage than the rest of the group or fails to move once or twice people will be happy to get rid of him, even if his damage is adequate.

People will be happy to get rid of the dps because (as you've noted) there are plenty more where he/she came from.

Why is it, in your opinion, that dps outnumber tanks/healers by such a wide margin? Seriously, can you not see the contradiction in your own argument?

Do you say ty?-No

As a healer for the first time ever in an MMO, I know this feeling now. I've saved people and their companions several times. They don't even to a /thanks emote. They just plod along. I did have one BH come back and help take down some mobs. At least my guildies appreciate me. :D

The problem I see, as both a former DPS player for 6+ years, and as a healer today is that a lot of time healers get blamed when people straight up fail mechanics. Someone stands in fire? Blame the healers! Group wiped because we didn't handle the boss right and we hit a soft enrage? Blame the healers! DPS player X pulled aggro! Blame the Tank! Sure the mob was CC'ed and the tank was holding the rest of the pack fine...etc.

Yes it does work both ways, but honestly everyone and I mean EVERYONE flips their wig when you point out they are doing something wrong, unless it's a guildie and you have a healthy raiding guild, then it gets joked about/handled and doesn't happen again. (And brought up every so often to bust the balls of said player.)

I'm aware that people make mistakes and foul up mechanics. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about tanks / healers that are genuinely bad but expect to have no-one point it out because they are a tank or healer.

Or make forum posts saying they are going to let people die because 1 person didn't say thankyou for them performing the role they chose to play.

Lot of people are ungrateful jerks.

Don't let that stop you from healing people because when those of us who appreciate it say thanks, you'll forget the jerks.

That's my take on the matter exactly.

Yes, most people ignore the help I give them. Some even exploit it (helping someone out by healing them; thus drawing aggro from already tagged mobs; cue healed person socking off, sacking in quest items and letting me deal with "his" mobs).

But I have two lists. One is black, and on it, I write every name of every jerk I come across.

The other one is white, and on it, I write the name of every decent person I come across.

When I see someone asking for help, I consult those lists.

And sometimes, when I feel particularly sanctimonious, I will even tell them -in the same channel they're using to get help- that normally, I would help them, no problem. But since they left me out to dry after I saved their asses before, I feel very much disinclined to look with favour upon their request for aid.

Or, as someone far more eloquent than poor me once said: "What comes around, goes around".

Edited by Muesliac

as a DPS, i kill mobs so that healers don't die from them.

i never get "thanks" either.

but i'm not starting whining threads about it.

Exactly. Healers do not have a lock on helping people out, nor are you anymore special.

OP, I think it's terrible that you get offended if someone does not say thank you AND then make a whiny revenge statemet by declaring that you are just going to let people die. Please never heal me in game. I don't need the drama.

You see someone in trouble, you lend a hand, or not. It's your choice. Do it because you want to be helpful to another server member. That's what most people I come across in the game do. Sometimes a conversation takes place between parties after the fight, sometimes not. But to be miffed because they did not bow down and lick your boots is a bit over the top IMO. And don't heal because you want/expect praise and thanks afterwards when you healed unsolicited. If you assist without being asked, anything you get besides the satisfaction of helping out is just gravy on the experience.

Edited by Andryah

Don't help people, simple as that.

I saw some dude aggro a second group, and instead of helping him, I watched him die, let the mobs reset, and killed them myself and took the security chest. People need to learn from their mistakes, and they won't if they're bailed out frequently.

I'm aware that people make mistakes and foul up mechanics. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about tanks / healers that are genuinely bad but expect to have no-one point it out because they are a tank or healer.

I think your perception of tanks/healers getting bent for legitimately failing an encounter mechanic is a bit off. Most of the time in my experience, if a tank/healer is legitimately failing a mechanic, they're the first person to admit it.