Best MMO PvP you ever played?

Lazyllama

You can't expect a fair and skill based PVP in a game that is gear based.

Games like UO or EVE where pure skill and tactics are more important have a few things in common - Free corpse looting.

In these games people are afraid to use expensive gear so they use common and most cost efficient equipment to maximize the cost/performance ratio so everyone pretty much has the same gear. This also promotes the use of crafted items and as a result creates a better player run economy, but this is another story.

Of course if they are rich, they use expensive gear at their own risk.

Or make the game ridiculously easy to obtain gear like DAOC so everyone has the same level of gear.

However PVP in PVE focused games that gear progression is a main focus of the game like TOR or WOW is always going to end up to who has the best gear at some point of the game.

Remember glaves + 4/4 rogues in TBC era of WOW? or Shadowmourne Warrior, DK comps in WOTLK?

So if you came for a PVP focused game, you are in the wrong game.

For companies that want to maximize their subscription base is going to make a PVE focused game because thats what most of the MMO playerbase wants - to *** at their avatars with full epic gear without any risk of losing them.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love SWTOR PvP, but it certainly is not the best.

The problem is its VERY team based and teamplay balanced - solo skill threshold is pretty much inexistent. There are limited number of things players can do, solutions to situations and areas where personal skill can win over other player personal skill.

The main part of skill here is - team coordination and abilities synergies. One on one encounters are however very plain. Especially noticed in Same class vs Same class.

In UO, AoC, even Anarchy Online single fights were much more entertaining and skill based. Here however, is DaoC/War way - where biggest role plays a team interaction and role your class can play. Its not bad, but i am just missing the options for personal skill - in the end in the most situations, all players of specific classes will do the same things (unless they do mistakes and do wrong things) and apart from using maybe LOS and terrain bonuses - there is little where one can apply his own skill in fight to overcome the enemy.

As a team game its pretty good though.

I'm trying to remember, didn't you get to loot a portion of another player's money in DAoC after you killed them? I know there was money dropped on the ground, but I could swear it came from the victims.

Those of you that played/liked DAoC, do you think that game had a more mature player base? It always seemed that way with me.

Finally, DeathSpam is something I've been wanting in Open World PvP again for a long time.

P.S. Any Galahad/Midgard players out there?

Simple: WoW before bgs and arena came into the game. People had pvp only as world pvp which was of course 100% fun.

No premades and all the same bg you have to play but instead of that many different worlds and cotys you could pvp which cause many different cool fun situations.

Battlegrounds and arena's killed real mmo world pvp in modern games.

Going old school but Asheron's Call PVP was amazing, it was so buggy and got out of hand pretty often but was just tons of fun. Also it didn't just reward you for winning, it punished you for losing, sometimes pretty hard.

1. Shadowbane - My favorite pvp game ! Open world, no teams, full loot, no grind. In SB you could get to max level in one day. To get cash to build cities / gear you fought for mines killed farmers or burned cities to ground. The graphics were not great but that's not why you played. RIP Shadowbane.

2. Planetside - The only Fps mmo ever? Open world, no instances. Massive battles. Grind to get ranks for more skills but all from pvp. Expansion introduced god mode mech like vehicles and killed game.

3.Mortal online - Hard core pvp game as well. Open world, no teams, full loot, no auto attack.Needed a bit of grinding to buy skills. Best graphics In any mmo out. Dont expect to play if pc isnt for gaming.Tons of bugs is the downside here due to very small company.

4. Darkfall - Another hard core pvp game. Open world, no auto attack, full loot. INSANE grind which eventually ruined it for me( Years of grinding).

5. EQ2 Nagafen server/ WoW pre BG. These are tied for me. They are not hardcore by any means because of pvp restrictions but for theme park they are good.

6. Swtor - May advance in my ranking a bit if open world pvp becomes better but so far fun game who doesn't like star wars.

But hands down the game of the year and best pvp game of 2012 is going to be Planetside 2. I know it's a SoE game but they have a good crew working on this beta starts soon! Think of your favorite shooter then make it an open persistent world with 3 factions. Massive fights like in the hundreds. If you don't like teamwork and communication don't try it.

That is all. Play to crush!

I find it interesting how unpopular Guild Wars is as a choice.

It is listed by several people.

Sadly it's not really appropriate for this conversation.

Guild wars may be a great game.

It may be a great PVP game.

It's not an MMO.

Counterstrike would be getting listed by a heck of a lot more people as best PVP game of all time if this was not a mmo-centric discussion.

1) UO

2) Pre-CU SWG

3) EQ2

As many other old school Ultima players have said I truly feel sorry for all you youngsters who never got to play a true PvP game.

No ruleset has ever come even close to the brutality of UO in its original format and thanks to the whiny *****es that make up 99% of today's gamers there never will be again such a game because it simply wont make enough money.

1. Dark Age of Camelot.

There is no greater champion. How did they get everything so right? Why hasn't anyone learned from what they did? Why wasn't WAR just DAoC2? The solution to the first question is "It was Darkness Falls: the Crusade in 3D," but the rest may never be answered.

2. Asheron's Call.

Darktide for life!

3. Ultima Online.

The actual PvP was atrocious but the level of griefing was unparalleled and deserves to be awarded for its all-encompassing genius.

Planetside doesn't really qualify as PvP in my mind since it was an FPS first and foremost, and shooting the other guys is the whole point of an FPS. Guild Wars is also too far out of the usual MMO style to count, either. Shadowbane was pretty cool, I hear.

Edited by Gorgewall

well that was the great thing about daoc, if all you wanted to do was play pve easy mode, you never had to go to the frontiers and have your e-motions hurt by getting plowed over and over again. The pve was not stellar but it got better over the years. With huge budget IP's like star wars you'd of figured we could of had the best of both worlds.

MMO's I have PvP'd significant amount of time in: daoc, wow, war, rift, and now swtor. I will rank them.

1. Daoc. Nothing was better than 8-man island. Period. 3 factions was fantastic it is still so confusing why this hasn't been implemented by another game. The other thing is the pvp rewards. Realm Rank! Some people have maxed out valor in under a month of playing. I bet it took a year for the first R11 in daoc. But it never felt like a grind.

32. WoW. I actually had a lot of fun in ctf. Pre-made v Pre-made got intense. I left that game after 6 months because you had to do insane pve to compete in pve.

Tied for 75t:. Rift. Pretty fun. Loved how could switch specs at a moments notice. War: the trading of keeps back and forth ruined this. Swtor: haven't played enough yet. Seems balanced but unless some things change I think the pvp base will leave after a fewmonths

well that was the great thing about daoc, if all you wanted to do was play pve easy mode, you never had to go to the frontiers and have your e-motions hurt by getting plowed over and over again. The pve was not stellar but it got better over the years. With huge budget IP's like star wars you'd of figured we could of had the best of both worlds.

They spent the pvp half on VO ;)

If I limit my responses to contemporary AAA MMO titles: EQ, DAoC, WAR, and LotRO, have all had compelling aspects of PvP that I've enjoyed.

Best is too subjective.

I will say this however...LotRO has the best POTENTIAL based on my playstyle and what I'm looking for in PvP. Combat in that game has a flow to it unlike any other.