Another Insult to the EU

RetroRayner

I dealt with that with WoW, tuesday were completely gone for me to play the game, and I didn't complain. So what you want is you want the maintainence to be pushed on to someone else, so they can't play, and only get to play 6 days a week, and they pay just as much as you do.

SEPERATE times.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dealt with that with WoW, tuesday were completely gone for me to play the game, and I didn't complain. So what you want is you want the maintainence to be pushed on to someone else, so they can't play, and only get to play 6 days a week, and they pay just as much as you do.

If that is the time the fewest EU players are online, then yes. The current time slot is not the best time for the MAJORITY of EU customers. There are better times to perform that maintenance.

No it's a case of equality. 2am maintenace for the EU.

As you've used WoW as an example, they did their maintenance in the early hours fnishing by 10am. That doesn't compare to SWTOR being out all day for most of the EU.

I don't think this is about WHEN maintenance is done. Its more about the duration, a hour is fine. But 8 hours? Every week?.......

It's about the time it's performed. Few will care whether they have 8 hours maintenance whilst they are in bed asleep. The US player base have said nothing about the length of maintenance, they are happy because it starts at 2am for them and barely impacts them at all.

You really have no clue about massive patches to software this size.. You dont automate it...

Which is my point exactly. I'm sorry if my sarcasm passed you by.

And I probably have a better idea about patching systems that require MINIMAL downtime than you do (hint, I used to work on market data systems, for example stock exchanges)

Edited by MareLooke

How different do you think the clients are?

I never said they are 'different' in 'they work differently and have different mechanics' (though as far as I know the client for china is .very. different lol)

they simply have one client for each 'sector' (for lack of better words)

you have to have two clients, and .two payments. if you want to play on a US and a EU servre.

however, with the TOR client you can use one and the same client for both US and EU servers.

and .that. is the reason why there won't be different maintenance times.

No, this isn't what we want. Take as much time to read the thread as to formulate a reply and you will see that we want US and EU separated. This is so they both happen during the night in their respective time zones.

We don't want to push the problem somewhere else. We just want what every other MMO gives us. A maintenance window that doesn't take 8 hours, and one that doesn't inconvenience the many time zones that make up Europe. GMT is but one, there are many more that are ahead of it, meaning their downtime ends 6-7-8pm, not 4pm GMT.

SEPERATE times.

Still pushes maintainence times onto some else, so they can't play. No one customer is more important then another, someone will always be a the "second class customer". Just because you can play during the day time, doesn't make you any more important then the guy who can only play during the night.

If that is the time the fewest EU players are online, then yes. The current time slot is not the best time for the MAJORITY of EU customers. There are better times to perform that maintenance.

the majority of EU players play during the day? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

I know of someone who lives over in Germany and it seems they get the shaft on maintenance. Not sure what to say, but I know they're certainly not thrilled about it either.

I live in Germany and I am certainly not happy with what BioWare is thinking how they can treat us here.

The server maintenance time for European customers is nothing but a slap in the face, degrading us to second class customers. They would never dare to do that with American customers because they are used to speak up, hell they would probably even get sued for some reason and lose.

But yeah with European customers you can do it. we swallow everything and find even enough players to defend it, that are willing to pay for a full day that they cannot use the game.

Last time Blizzard did a maintenance in Europe that took that long during the daytime, I got a whole day of game time credited, not ideal but at least they show they care. Here they just show that they do not care at all.

Also Blizzard manages to have different maintenance time for European and American customers, just as it should be, so it is really quite amusing that some people here try to defend how Bioware does it.

Oh yeah and about the best time for European customers, I wonder then why at night from 3am on my servers population is shown as light when at 12 in the noon when its the best time according to Bioware it is show as Heavy already and I even have to wait to get in. They must really think we are just plain stupid in Europe.

Edited by Elendhriel

ok lets say they decide to not take down servers for the EU till the night time. Guess what, during the whole day before the night time in the EU, you guys were not able to play anyways because your client software does not match the server software.

See, everyone in the world has the same client, so when they patch the game, both server and client need to be patched. So if you have the new patch but your servers do not have the same patch, you will not be able to play.

See, this is why all servers have to go down at the same time. They decided to do something better for their player base by allowing them to play on servers in the US or the EU, perhaps to play with friends or play on servers that thare better for their playing time, ie US player who plays during a the prime time of EU.

Because it suits them better.

Also, nobody cares, maintenances are always a pain, get used to it.

Tip of the day : Get a job, you won't even notice the game is down during the day.

No everyone with a job works “normal” 9-5 hours.

Also, as is evident in these forms, a great many people care. I never understand why people will happily accept poor customer service from MMOs. Finally, please be away that the majority of Europe is ahead of GMT.

Wow you cants guy spend 10 minutes away from the game, for a something that will improve the game, im sure you all want it to get better, games just been released, expect this and damn walk out side, get off the chair or something, 8 hrs is not long.

ok lets say they decide to not take down servers for the EU till the night time. Guess what, during the whole day before the night time in the EU, you guys were not able to play anyways because your client software does not match the server software.

server maintenance doesn't always necessitate a client update.

but according to the sticky it seems they are going to start staggering the maintenance times...eventually

We are aiming for this weekly maintenance period to take place in an off-peak time for both North American and European players

See, everyone in the world has the same client, so when they patch the game, both server and client need to be patched. So if you have the new patch but your servers do not have the same patch, you will not be able to play.

See, this is why all servers have to go down at the same time. They decided to do something better for their player base by allowing them to play on servers in the US or the EU, perhaps to play with friends or play on servers that thare better for their playing time, ie US player who plays during a the prime time of EU.

Localise client patching then.

I've been trying to explain this for two weeks now (ever since they announced last week's maintenance)

people refuse to be rational when they don't get what they want.

(or, .if. they get the problem, they demand actually separate clients.... f that)

sounds good! would you like to pay for the extra maintenence shift, a TCG, or would you prefer they just cut into their profit margin to suit your needs.

Yeah... Like they use the money to fix things fast and they cannot spare a shift... Please...

server maintenance doesn't always necessitate a client update.

but according to the sticky it seems they are going to start staggering the maintenance times...eventually

I would expect them to take down all servers at once when the game get patched, but if it is just server maintainence with no patching at all, then they they could stagger them. I wouldn't doubt for the first few months we see more patching/maintainence then we do of just maintainece.

What annoys me most is having an 8h maintenance and see 5 lines of fixes instead of 2-3 full pages. Really. If they were to fix things I would be ok with even more hours. But losing a full game time every three weeks, with not compensation and on top of that zero fixes, well... it is a bit disturbing (sic)

It might "suck", but really... Most people in Europe is kinda at school / work until 4PM anyways. Just go home, eat dinner / home work whatever, then play. Its not going to kill you not getting to play right away once in a while . Take a brake :)

Which is just great for those of us who work night-shift.