The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

*A jaded sense of fun - Sign if ure going to keep playing after Jan. 21

SoupyNuggs

Seriously, 7 years of WoW have jaded the gaming community so much. I speak as a 3d modeler who works in the CG industry (Superman, Avengers are all projects I've had the opportunity to work on). I'm not a Star Wars fanboy, nor am I an MMO savant. I simply understand the sheer game artismanship it takes to make something like this. To put my thoughts simply: SWTOR is beautifully made, and none of the issues I've dealt with are so gamebreaking that it prevents me from appreciating this MASSIVE piece of man-work.

I don't ever comment in general discussion, but I've read a share of what the unsubbers have had to say, and it's confusing because here is this game I am so hooked on I can't look away when I get to play it. And when I do come and lurk in the forums I'm expecting this massive community of people discussing its mechanics and content, but instead it's just a mess of destructive 'criticism' ... if I can even call it that. It completely messes with my head because if I were to go by the feedback in these forums, the ratio of people who like SWTOR to those who don't and are going to unsub is somewhere between 4:1 and 12:1.

To alleviate my confusion, I'd like everyone who is going to keep playing after the 30 day free sub period to sign this thread.

And please, if you're a detractor, I welcome your thoughts but try to be civil.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In it to win it...

well... since you can't really "win" let's just say I'm giving them at least 3 months for sure to tune the game and add shiny new stuff while I am enjoying all the class stories (and just the sound my lightsaber makes when I draw and sheathe it)

My brother's a professional musician. The music he listens to is so eclectic and complex that 95% of people wouldn't even enjoy it, much less buy it. He doesn't hear music the same way as other people because he's a professional.

Professional artisans are very often the worst people to consult when it comes to determining if something will be popular.

I subbed to STO for two years, even though I knew it was pretty ******. Im a loyalist and if I choose to play an MMO I hunkerdown and try my best to hold out for better days.

Ill be sticking it thru here. SWTOR has had one of the best launches Ive experienced.

My brother's a professional musician. The music he listens to is so eclectic and complex that 95% of people wouldn't even enjoy it, much less buy it. He doesn't hear music the same way as other people because he's a professional.

Professional artisans are very often the worst people to consult when it comes to determining if something will be popular.

How did you get anyo of that from the OP. All he was doing was acknowledging the level of skill it took to get this game where it is.

Edited by Foxtrotmikelima

i've cancelled but its not because i dont think the game is well made, you're right that the game is beautiful and a piece of art, i was reminded of this yesterday when i headed back to nar shaddaa to collect datacrons

the naysayers (me included) dont have issues with how beautiful and captivating the world they have created is however, my problems all lay soley with endgame, the wold pvp is a mess - mercenary commendations are basically only available from converting them as warzone tokens, ilum and outlaws den are completely broken,

the heroic 4 mans are all just like the normals only with a hard enrage timer added to the bosses,

ability delay issues are game-ruining in any kind of competetive pvp sense (sometimes i can bash an ability for like 5+ seconds and it just wont go off, theres a huge thread about this issue)

however if the developers are willing to talk about these issues (so far they're remaining very quiet, more content to fix emotes on speeders etc) id consider resubbing

Edited by Tohrazer

It's funny, my girlfriend is a huge WoW fangirl. She is not a fan at all of the Star Wars franchise, never played KotoR, and was certain she would never play this game. I got her a beta invite, and she was instantly sucked in. She *loves* the roleplaying, and hitting on her male companions. We are now having a blast playing the game together, and both greatly appreciate the *roleplaying* brought into the MMO *Roleplaying Game* genre.

Love the game (could be better but over all fun)

Not big on communities Ive seen so far but thats not Bioware fault (well other then the no naming rules on RP Servers part) and now school back and the trolls log out earlier, Ive seen a better community start to form, so there is definately a bright spot on that front.

I subbed for 6 months and Im going to give Bioware 7 months (6 plus free) to get some of these items sorted out and let natural selection weed out some of the others!

Lets face it, most trolls not going to go much past Taris on republic side and Balmorra on Imp side. So once everyone levels past those planets and the trolls left to troll each other. MOST (not all but a good portion) of the stupid name, troll anything said, player base will quit outta bordom. And the community will be better off for it.

So yeah, ill be here long term to see what Bioware can do with game when dust has settled.

They have made some really bonehead mistakes to be sure but nothing is unfixable (well except the bad word of mouth press for the botched pre release) so lets see if they step up to plate and fix it.

Asfor game, im still having fun with the storylines. Taking my time, not rushing. Have 6 characters on the go presently so if I dont get bored of one storyline, I simply jump over to another!

And now most of the stupid names on my ignore list, Im starting to meet up with like minded players who just want to have fun.

Today I had one of the best groups ive been in, in recent memory, and wastotally a PUG. But made 3 friends who im already speaking to constantly while playing.

So best is yet to come!

I don't ever comment in general discussion, but I've read a share of what the unsubbers have had to say, and it's confusing because here is this game I am so hooked on I can't look away when I get to play it. And when I do come and lurk in the forums I'm expecting this massive community of people discussing its mechanics and content, but instead it's just a mess of destructive 'criticism' ... if I can even call it that. It completely messes with my head because if I were to go by the feedback in these forums, the ratio of people who like SWTOR to those who don't and are going to unsub is somewhere between 4:1 and 12:1.

The people who like the game are playing it instead of lurking on the forum (I'm only here because I have to force myself to take a break every once in a while). That's why trolls are so prevalent right now, but after the free 30 days the game came with run out, they'll be locked out of the forum unless they resub. Don't worry, after a while, this forum will stop being the place where the trolls come to ***** about nothing and start being the place where people come to QQ about Bounty Hunters being OP.

I'll play until guildwars 2 comes around, at that point I will see whatever game I like the most.

And dont pay too much attention to these forums. This is where the vocal attentiongrabbers are. The vast majority are happily playing the game instead.

I liked the game initially, but ventured into PvP and then got pissed off because a) the huge rewards you get totally denigrates anything you get from PvE and b) without brackets and given OP sith inquisitors it kind of sucks as* quite regularly. 10-10-12 in the last matchup vs 50s. So unsubscribed.

Still imagining that the main devs will be back from holidays in time for mid January and announce sweeping bug fixes and new developments.

Oh, and actually making classes mirror each other.

Seriously, 7 years of WoW have jaded the gaming community so much. I speak as a 3d modeler who works in the CG industry (Superman, Avengers are all projects I've had the opportunity to work on). I'm not a Star Wars fanboy, nor am I an MMO savant. I simply understand the sheer game artismanship it takes to make something like this. To put my thoughts simply: SWTOR is beautifully made, and none of the issues I've dealt with are so gamebreaking that it prevents me from appreciating this MASSIVE piece of man-work.

To alleviate my confusion, I'd like everyone who is going to keep playing after the 30 day free sub period to sign this thread.

I've learned the hard way that exquisite craftsmanship and artistry only go so far if not balanced with usability and function. I understand what you are saying, and agree with the main idea, but I've been knocked flat on my face before when I put all of my blood, sweat and tears into a project, but lost sight of its application for the consumer. Ever buy a really cool looking office chair only to arrive home and it ends up feeling like a concrete slab? I think that's where a lot of complaints come from and I think it's why it is so hard for some of us to lob complaints when we do appreciate the artistry that went into making the game.

I was going to keep playing until I came to important threads like "Why can't we make 400 pound female trooper toons", or "Same sex romance...why isn't in Star Wars?"

Important issues like these are made me reconsider, but in the end I decided I'm in after 30 days even with such glaring problems in the Star Wars universe.

I am going to continue subscribing for a while.

However, I am NOT happy with the game in its current form. It's buggy. Combat responsiveness is terrible. The UI is rigid and the worst I've played with.

I still think that the developers are hopefully getting the picture and have prioritized most of these issues. Therefore, I am going to continue along. After a while, I will reevaluate how far they have come along and decide at that point whether I am having fun yet and the game is worth it.