Legacy Names. How are you handling them RP-wise

Zavia

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that this "feature" is meant more to prevent anonymous alt trolling... as in, you won't be able to just create a new character to heckle or stalk others. Bioware is just promoting it as a bonus rather than an anti-dbag feature.

Allowing the feature to be turned off is kind of defeating that purpose though don't you think?

Also, I like the House and Clan name approach because it allows you to include different races under your Legacy name. I think the Legacy name is a good idea but perhaps it could use some improvements.

I haven't played with the naming conventions much but would the system allow for a Legacy name that reflects a House or Clan, such as "Adlar House Breva" with "House Breva" being the surname, or "Adlar Clan Hawk", with "Clan Hawk" being the surname?

The way I see it, Bioware made it so that if you don't want people going around saying they're you, you could turn on the legacy name for your toons so that people can tell whether or not it's you.

And if they are ever confronted, and they know you have a legacy name, they can just demand they turn it on for a few seconds. You would do that to prove it's you right?

What I hate about them is that you cannot get an uppercase letter where you should have one. Making a ticket to ask for one does not work because they are “only changing names that are in violation” I don’t want a change I want the name to be capitalized correctly. In my case O’Zarthan is stuck being O’zarthan kinda bites. Since they are “not allowed at this time to fix names not in violation” and when I point out that if you can change ones that’s wrong then the tools are in place to change them so fixing a name is possible just not something CSR’s are willing to do you get the “Rules are Rules” tossed at you. Ohh and the best was being told “it is not my name it is just the legacy”.

For once, I'm actually RPing characters that are going to be related (across both factions), so I had to choose a Legacy Name that suited all their first names. If I create any characters that aren't related, I'll just turn the thing off.

3 characters - all different race and that makes it kinda odd ball for RP

though I am not totally sure how it will turn out - if that comes around as a story problem for me I will drop at least one out from Legacy name.

my main Dria shall keep her last name visible and it kinda suits her because same name and last name are in use on one of my PnP Star Wars characters. Shame though that I could not bring her in the game.

• 1 month later...

I make all of my characters linked by ONE factor, the influence of a Jedi Master in their lives, while he was on his path to greatness himself.

His name is Hargus Kis, and every single one of my characters is part of the Kis Legacy, because their lives would be drastically different if not for him (dead, no reason to fight, fighting for the other side, etc.)

My Vanguard: Older brother of Hargus, who encountered him in an assault on a pirate ship, without knowing it. Hargus saved my Vanguard and the pilot from death on the ship.

My Juggernaut: Formerly Hargus's apprentice, before betraying the Jedi Order.

My Consular: Hargus brought her into the Jedi Order, while she was a child.

My Sentinel: Hargus wrested him from the Darkside's grasp, after my Sentinel activated a Sith holocron.

My Sniper: Spared his father in the midst of an Imperial ambush.

My Mercenary: Hargus fought alongside his adopted father against a Mandalorian hit squad. The 'father' died, and Hargus had to lead my merc to safety.

Each and every one of them have been deeply influenced by the same person, and are interlinked by that one fact. They may never meet, but they're all bonded by being part of Hargus Kis's own legacy.

So, that's how I handle Legacy names in RP.

Some really interesting approaches! Thanks for sharing. :) Sotof, I don't think I could have been as proactive as you were. I bet that was a lot of work.

Hey, there's a program called XMind http://www.xmind.net/ that will let you create and manage your characters, and more, so would be helpful in managing legacy characters. :)

I went with a Legacy name I felt would be Star Wars Hero-y enough. Something that isn't too specific, but still has its meaningful implications.

Morrowbringer.

I figure all of my characters will bring forth change in some manner, so I don't expect it to be unfitting for anyone. (And, regardless, it's a nice identifier of me as a player, I think.)

Well my legacy name (Skursir) is a Trandoshan character that I made up. I use legacy for "The Skursir Legacy" and all the characters that are a part of this have a connection to this Trandoshan of some form or another. My Jedi is his lover, my Imperial Agent is his best friend and my Sith Inquisitor trained under him.

Otherwise, it would have been impossible to link a Chiss, a Zabrak and a Mirialan!

• 2 months later...

Something I've noticed with the Legacy family tree is that u can have same sex spouses married but in-game we cant romance same sex companions?

I'm sure others noticed this.. but wondering if that's the case in the family tree.. why so hard for it to be added to companions also?

At the moment, the Van'Hasselt Legacy focuses on an underworld family dedicated to hustling. The two characters I have at the moment are both brothers to one another, but separated by a heist against the Empire that went wrong.

Any folks whom I feel are part of the 'family' so to speak will most likely remain with the Surname, but a few folks will be contacts of the family (allies) or opposing criminal families (rivals)

Something I've noticed with the Legacy family tree is that u can have same sex spouses married but in-game we cant romance same sex companions?

I'm sure others noticed this.. but wondering if that's the case in the family tree.. why so hard for it to be added to companions also?

It's been explained at the Guild Summit that the same-gender companion romance content was not finished in time to make it to the game launch and that it will become available in the future.

It's my opinion they didn't intend to insult people, it's just another section of the game they simply could not finish and have bug-free fast enough for the launch of the game. I thought about it and realized they can't really put it in only in pieces, like just one class at a time or just half of the romance at a time because people would be even more angry and frustrated about it being incomplete rather than missing entirely.

So, I'm sad that it's not here for the people who desire it, and having it later sort of invalidates a lot of stuff you already RP'd or played through if you have to start relationships all over again at level 50 or something, but at least I feel comforted knowing it's coming.

People who are unhappy with the game have some fair logic in grumbling about content/features which were promised but are not available. This has become the rule rather than the exception for every MMO I've been involved with. And for the record, as an Ethics philosopher, just because "all the other guys are doing it" that doesn't mean it's OK.

Just got to Legacy level. But was not to hard for me as I already had connections between them.

My Twi'lek Sith sorcerer is the twin sister of my Twi'lek Jedi knight , the Jedi sister was taken from her family by a jedi master who prefered the more robust sister over the more frail one.

The Jedi master was accompanied by my human republic trooper who was married to a woman who would become a cyborg bounty hunter. The wife had opposed the Jedi master whilst her husband had supported him, the resulting confrontation resulted in the wife becoming a cyborg & thought dead by the trooper.

An old Bounty hunter (Legacy name) saved the wife & taught her the trade, & aided the remaining Twi'lek to the Empire & become a Sith.

I just can not help making characters, & they all have a rough back story that usually intertwines with my other characters anyway, & sometimes I make characters because the story needs it, i.e. the Sith needed a twin sister, enter the Twi'lek Jedi :D. Legacy makes it easier to keep track of. :t_biggrin:

8-)

Edited by Dracurian

There's millions of inhabited planets in the galaxy and quadrillions of sentients out there. The fact that more than one person (even from different species) happen to share a name but be completely unrelated is unsurprising.

EXACTLY right and true. My family name is Polish, but is phoenetically (and, anglicized, digitally) identical to a common Indian name.

As for char names, the "father" in my Legacy is a Sith Assasin who had a lot of "female companions", and sired 2 Jedi (Sent and Shadow, twins) by one, a Vanguard Trooper by another, a Marauder by his "regular" consort, and a Merc and a Sniper by two others. Distant cousins is also another easy option

Mine is fairly easy as I love the Chiss. Kylania and Thelianna are twin sisters. Ky was raised by her mother in Imperial space and Thel was raised by her father in Hutt space. Morella is Kylania's daughter and uses her power with the force to exact revenge for her mother's travails. Thalira is the only non-Chiss D'Vraenex to date and she and Morella are married as they helped each other through the hell of the academy and realized they had feelings for each other.

When I add more later on, I'll deal with each new member individually.

My Legacy name. Heartnet, is the family name of my Sith Inquisitor main, and his cousin, one of my Sith warriors.

I created both of their fathers, another Warrior and another Inquisitor, to give them the proper links, and I'm waiting for more character slots, partly to add more members of the family, but also to bring back my Republic characters :p

My Bounty Hunter and Agent are part of the Legacy only by affiliation, as loyal servants to my Sith.

Edited by Darth_Vicente