Theory: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Majestic_Jazz

To the original poster:

Yes, people are terrified of the success potential of TOR. Think about it: The VAST majority of MMO players started with or only have ever played WoW. WoW is the first and only MMO to them. TOR is the first real threat to WoW and it scares them, TOR has the potential to take their binky away. For people who have been playing MMO's for years and years (yes, there were MMO's before WoW, GASP!) we see how good TOR really is and accept that its not the same as WoW and that's a good thing. We also know that every MMO that's ever been released needs to be patched and improved after launch, including their coveted WoW.

The WoW generation thinks that WoW created the genre and they are simply wrong, far from it. I started playing an MMO called Asherons Call nearly 12 years ago and was petrified to change to another game after 3 years of playing. But after I gave up my binky I reallized there are other great games out there. And Asherons Call is still one of the best MMO's out there.

I cant say as fact because I don't know, but I am dead certain the vast majority of people trolling TOR are WoW Generation players. They are scared of TOR taking away their binky.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pardo from Blizzard basically said what BioWare is doing with SWTOR is "too much work" and they wouldn't do something like that and take the easy way out. Obviously many don't want SWTOR to succeed because they will have to do so much more work than easily writing quests.

Is it taking an 'easy way out'? or, rather is it that the work they have done for VO has less pay out and fruition? If the VO is more work and more money by a bunch and the gleaned crowd is just not there.. it is wasteful.

If the money can be spent better in other places.. is it the easy way or the more beneficial? That is the real question and one we will not know an answer for until we get about 6 months down the road and see the profit margin.

TOR is a good test. They RELY on mostly the VO factor. To the point of neglecting other industry standard mechanic. It is actually good for an expieriment. It is about the best way we have to see just how much the VO matters in an MMO.

Theoretical Question: Do haters FEAR the potiential influence of SWTOR?

Insightful Answer: No, the people "hating" the game want it to be better so they can enjoy the game, and continue to do so in the far future.

Is that what you were looking for master?

No, that's not a hater. You described a sensible individual.

For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?

No, they want the devs to bend over and cater to THEM and quit with this story nonsense. And that's a problem because it's just not going to happen.

For the love of god do you actually believe people are here complaining because they WANT the game to fail?

Er, some people have actually said this. It is inappropriate for people to tar everyone with that brush, but nevertheless you can anticipate a certain defensive reaction to people actively coming in and trying to ruin the game you're enjoying. Hopefully it will quiet down... eventually...

Is it taking an 'easy way out'? or, rather is it that the work they have done for VO has less pay out and fruition? If the VO is more work and more money by a bunch and the gleaned crowd is just not there.. it is wasteful.

If the money can be spent better in other places.. is it the easy way or the more beneficial? That is the real question and one we will not know an answer for until we get about 6 months down the road and see the profit margin.

TOR is a good test. They RELY on mostly the VO factor. To the point of neglecting other industry standard mechanic. It is actually good for an expieriment. It is about the best way we have to see just how much the VO matters in an MMO.

This is a great point. All that money spent on making the in-game movies and tools required to create them might be quite wasteful. Imagine what other innovative features they could have implemented with that cash!

Ah, well, at least they let us skip the movies if we want to.

Theory: Do fanboys fear the potential downfall of TOR?

lol see how easy that was? And probably more closer to the truth :rolleyes:

Not really. Besides it not really being a realistic scenario, I also woulndt be bothered, games come and go and I play new ones every year.

OP,

People are complaining and hating because they expected more. So much has been dumped in story that major flaws have been over looked, such as the ability delay and optimization issues. They don't want to pay for an semi-redundant interactive story book. They want a challenge.

That is all.

I can't wait for the free month to be up so a majority of the QQers will just leave.

I'm tired of the same posts being posted by the same people over and over and over.

So much of what people whine about has already been addressed: shards are going away, they are fixing bugs, they are adding/tuning end-game content, they want a lfg system, etc.

At this point, I feel like people aren't criticisizing to he'll the game improve, but that they are honestly flaming the people who actually enjoy it.

TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.

I'll keep this short but hear me out. SWTOR is obviously not for everyone, especially if you are one of those old school MMO traditionalist who believes the real purpose behind MMOs is endgame and etc.....

With that being said, they do not like how SWTOR has a focus on leveling and not endgame. They do not like how SWTOR is bringing in people [such as myself] who are not traditional MMO players but rather single player gamers whos ONLY reason behind playing SWTOR is the promise of story and the ability to literally play it as a single player game if chosen to. The haters fear that if SWTOR grows and becomes really popular, then SWTOR would be used or could be used as the benchmark for future MMOs meaning future AAA MMOs will have emphasis on story.....interactive dialog....cutscenes and everything else that SWTOR does with the 4th Pillar of story.

These haters have already made up their mind that they do not like SWTOR and will either go back to other current MMOs, or just hold out until Guild Wars 2. However, because they fear that SWTOR could grow, they do not want their current MMOs or future MMOs [GW2] to be lacking in population because everyone is playing SWTOR.

So BASICALLY, the people against SWTOR pretty much want to sabatoge the popularity of SWTOR with the hopes that everyone jumps off of the "SWTOR bandwagon" and play other MMOs or hold out for future MMOs. I mean why is it that the people who supposendly have cancelled their subscription still post here? Why is it that the people who have came to the conclusion that they gate SWTOR.....continue to post here? Why is it that the most passionate opinions about SWTOR tend to be the negative ones?

I completely agree. but they can make rant posts all they like the dollars are speaking to the industry. But if they truly prefer wow, i hear they have apanda and a pokemon pet for em. lets face it, this game is not for kids and that seems to be the griping base.

TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity because they fear that if SWTOR grows, the future of MMOs would be more like SWTOR such as focusing on story and the leveling process instead of endgame. They fear that MMOs would become single player friendly. In short, they fear that the SWTOR formula would be the baseline formula for future MMOs.

I'll keep this short but hear me out. SWTOR is obviously not for everyone, especially if you are one of those old school MMO traditionalist who believes the real purpose behind MMOs is endgame and etc.....

With that being said, they do not like how SWTOR has a focus on leveling and not endgame. They do not like how SWTOR is bringing in people [such as myself] who are not traditional MMO players but rather single player gamers whos ONLY reason behind playing SWTOR is the promise of story and the ability to literally play it as a single player game if chosen to. The haters fear that if SWTOR grows and becomes really popular, then SWTOR would be used or could be used as the benchmark for future MMOs meaning future AAA MMOs will have emphasis on story.....interactive dialog....cutscenes and everything else that SWTOR does with the 4th Pillar of story.

These haters have already made up their mind that they do not like SWTOR and will either go back to other current MMOs, or just hold out until Guild Wars 2. However, because they fear that SWTOR could grow, they do not want their current MMOs or future MMOs [GW2] to be lacking in population because everyone is playing SWTOR.

So BASICALLY, the people against SWTOR pretty much want to sabatoge the popularity of SWTOR with the hopes that everyone jumps off of the "SWTOR bandwagon" and play other MMOs or hold out for future MMOs. I mean why is it that the people who supposendly have cancelled their subscription still post here? Why is it that the people who have came to the conclusion that they gate SWTOR.....continue to post here? Why is it that the most passionate opinions about SWTOR tend to be the negative ones?

No.

Just no. Of all of the things that are posted on this forum, this is the furthest from reality. People who whine about the game WANT it to succeed.

No.

What I do find amazing...

Information about the game has been trickling out for the last 2 years - official videos, in game demos, gaming events, leaked information from closed beta testers, closed beta NDA lifted allowing testers to post their opinions and screentshots, MASSIVE [open] beta weekends [which you literally just had to ask for a key to be invited], etc.

You literally had to be living under a rock not to have heard about this game or had access to at least try it out - gaming convention, [open] beta weekend, etc.

Yet somehow there a lot of posts which makes it sound like they've never heard of this game before and are they are surprised the game isn't what they expected...

I can't wait for the free month to be up so a majority of the QQers will just leave.

I'm tired of the same posts being posted by the same people over and over and over.

So much of what people whine about has already been addressed: shards are going away, they are fixing bugs, they are adding/tuning end-game content, they want a lfg system, etc.

At this point, I feel like people aren't criticisizing to he'll the game improve, but that they are honestly flaming the people who actually enjoy it.

You MAY want to avoid the boards. It will go easier on you if you are that sensitive. :(

What I do find amazing...

Information about the game has been trickling out for the last 2 years - official videos, in game demos, gaming events, leaked information from closed beta testers, closed beta NDA lifted allowing testers to post their opinions and screentshots, MASSIVE [open] beta weekends [which you literally just had to ask for a key to be invited], etc.

You literally had to be living under a rock not to have heard about this game or had access to at least try it out - gaming convention, [open] beta weekend, etc.

Yet somehow there a lot of posts which makes it sound like they've never heard of this game before and are they are surprised the game isn't what they expected...

There are a lot of people that blindly buy the box or download on a whim. Nothing you can do.

TL;DR I believe these people just want to sabotage the SWTOR popularity

What's actually funny about this is that without exception, whenever I've seen "TLDR" on a thread, it's always been the fanbois rising up to flame and defend the game, and not the ones who have issues with the game.

That's not just TOR, it's every game I've seen on a forum. The fanbois won't read a long post, and the people who actually care and want the game to be better and survive are the ones who write extremely long, highly critical, and very constructive posts.

Which then get flamed and trolled by idiots.

It's the internet.

There are a lot of people that blindly buy the box or download on a whim. Nothing you can do.

There are a lot of people who reported bugs in beta, with a reasonable expectation that serious bugs would be dealt with BEFORE launch, not weeks after.

It's a two-way street.

There's a reason people are upset.

You're suggesting that we feel threatened.

Not at all. Bioware spent so much money on voiceovers that the rest of the game is lacking.

Not only did I want this game to succeed, I wanted it to be the game I played for a long time.

I'm not paying 15 bucks a month for the leveling process. If I'm going to do that I'll just go play skyrim.

I fear NOTHING about SWTOR becoming the formula for future MMO's, but more the model for how story and MMO's don't mesh well together.

Edited by BrambLed