Flashpoints too long for 99%

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone always compares things to WoW. Try the 12 hour marathon Task Force groups in CoH way back in the day. There were no save points. If someone disconnected the system dumped them from the group and you either forged ahead without them or started over.

Oh yeah, did I mention that they required a full team of 8 to start? Good times.:rolleyes:

I like the length of these FPs so far. More then 90 minutes and it would be hard to set aside time to run them, and less than 30 minutes can't really be called much of a FP. The length of the Esseles is perfect(around an hour).

Instances are new, players are new.

I just did Taral V normal with a group of lvl 30's+

We kept wiping on the sith extra boss and could'nt kill last boss.

Run took 4 hrs lol.

Sure its long and frustrating but its part of progression. My group was'nt made of super bad players just that running in at lvl 30 is kinda low lvl for Taral V.

Anyways the message is, Give it time. Enjoy the content for what it is.

Cata instances were not long nor were they the reason for the loss of subs.

It's really refreshing to see the length of FPs here in TOR. I really agree with what a previous poster said: it's better to do one longish than several short ones over the same period of time. It really prevents burnout.

I love it. :)

The problem is that even with no wipes the shortest flashpoints takes 40 minutes...

Add in wipes, the longer flashpoints, etc., they all take way to long to complete.

Believe it or not, most people playing this game kinda like the length of the flashponts. A flashpoint shouldn't be shorter than most quests take in this game.

The problem isn't really the length or the time it takes by itself - 1 hour seems reasonable tbh. Its more that its kinda tedious to kill all the trash, which offers very little challenge anyway.

I had rather have a shorter and less tedious instance tbh.

Of course a long instance which manage not to become dull and mindless is nice, but it is also harder to make those - and none of the instances so far really excel there so far (imo) after the first time where you don't have the story itself to carry you forward anymore.

Edited by ShadoutMapes

Most of the time spent clearing hard mode flashpoints is spent killing trash that can be solo'd by any competent player. Pack after pack after pack of 3 normal/1 strong enemy. I wouldn't mind if the trash was actually semi-challenging or dropped some sort of loot. But trash right now is just useless time consumption with no benefit whatsoever.

so i did normal directive 7 and it took like an hour and a half, guess you are following the cata model that lost half of blizz's subs

Or the TBC model that brought everybody to WoW in the first place lmao... That had nothing to do with the loss of subs.. it was the fact that nothing had changed in years and they were starting to use rehashed models etc all the time. Fights were rarely new and interesting etc.

In speaking from personal experience (and this is with pugs, all hardmodes)

Black Talon - 35 minutes

Boarding Party - 40 minutes (with wipes on last boss)

Foundry - 30 minutes (don't clear to final boss because he's bugged)

False Emperor - 1 hour

Haven't done hardmodes for the others. Not sure what you were expecting? Even if they took over an hour, that's par for course for an MMO.

Are you sure about the bugged boss in the foundry? I did this flashpoint with a pug last night and was able to clear the entire flashpoint (and loot all the chests).

The only trouble we had was with the fight with HK-47 where the adds would sometimes spawn in the pillars and they could shoot us but we couldn't shoot them, however that didn't stop us from killing HK-47.

The last boss (the jedi) just had a lot of health so it took a while, but other then that it was a pretty straightforward fight without problems.

Yesterday we made a makeshift group around 4pm gmt to go do eternity vault.

Started with 4 clannies and 4 randoms.

No one even once cared about the time, no one knew how long it would take, at a certain point we got hungry. It was now 9pm.

Determined to finish it, we took an hour break and continued at 10:30 pm. At 1 AM we were finished with the vault.

Considering none of us expected or anticipated it would be that long not 1 complained.

I know now how we can run it without taking X amount of time and keep it down to 2-3 hours. But hey I didnt use google :p I like puzzles.

There is plenty to do in the game. If you want to do a flashpoint or something else that might take a long time then set aside the time to do that. If it's an hour before bedtime then don't run one. I work and i'm married so i realize that if i'm going to do an instance i usually make sure i have 2 hours to spend before i do it. For those that might have kids that can be a problem and i understand that if someone says hey i got to take care of my children or family then i understand that. np But if you expect to log at a certain time and jump into an instance half hour before that time then your asking for trouble. Make sure you have the time to do one and then some extra time. And you'll be okay. The flashpoints aren't bad time wise and yes if you have people that never did them before then things will go slower. But they have to have that first experience or two to know the instance as well. You might even make a friend by helping them out with learning the instance.

My only complaint on timing issues, is the battle of Ilum, that took so long it wasn't funny. It just felt drawn out, that was the thing like TFE was cool, you know we've just landed on his base, we need to board it and annihilate his forces. Bit odd considering the vanguards job is to go in gun ho straight for the captain, but it wsa enjoyable non the less and didn't take too long even if there was a lot of circular maps.

Battle of Ilum was just a long drawn out, boring run. I literally felt i was running up and down the battle lines for the crack. Some kind of mechanic would have made this more interesting as opposed to long open spaces with endless trash about the place.

BT takes about an hour in a PUG with no clue, we're down to about 20/30minutes if everyone has spacebar pinned.

(be nice as well if you could auto skip conversations, like on BT the first marine tell you to leave, well.. if i want to do the FP i have to kill him, no other option so why not just skip it and let me get on with it, already done the fp, thats why we're now doing it on hardmode, we dont need the story.)

I have not done one single Flashpoint above level 20 yet but I recognize WoWs problem to be with the fact that you can faceroll and get high dps and tank well. WoW got boring with WOTLK due to the stupid aoe banansa and the fact that the community went from bad to worse. LFD tool made things worse even if it's quick, people are outright unfriendly because they can.

Most instances from other MMO's average 30 minutes to 2 hours depending on the group so most of the times you presented are about normal.

I should also say, its generally easiler when running with a prearranged group than a PUG, so most PUGS will generally run longer, but not always.

Edited by JediMasterBurst

Everyone always compares things to WoW. Try the 12 hour marathon Task Force groups in CoH way back in the day. There were no save points. If someone disconnected the system dumped them from the group and you either forged ahead without them or started over.

Oh yeah, did I mention that they required a full team of 8 to start? Good times.:rolleyes:

I like the length of these FPs so far. More then 90 minutes and it would be hard to set aside time to run them, and less than 30 minutes can't really be called much of a FP. The length of the Esseles is perfect(around an hour).

CoH vet here. Thank you for reminding me of the *censoreds* that are the Shadow Shard TFs. I had a group that wanted to do them all over one weekend. Never again. And before that, vanilla Positron....better, but not by much.

So yeah...my reaction to my first FP was 'what, we're done already?' I'd mentally prepared for a maximum of 3 hours for Esseles, and when we were done in, oh, maybe 60 minutes (we had some disconnects and a wipe) I was not expecting that!

Given I have a kid who is prone to waking up from naps at the worst possible moment, there'd be no way to do a standard TF unless the rest of my team was very forgiving of my "AFK a sec, baby aggro". This MMO is much better in that regard in both time and number of people required, so I can grab understanding guildbuddies (or just my housemates)for a FP and go.