Top 10 criticisms of SW:TOR with responses

Samaul

Obviously this game would shut down if we didn't have people like the OP here defending it. :rolleyes:

Well you have to realice that Bioware has some serious foresight. First thing they want to implement is a microtransaction store.

Well it still will suffer alot from subscription drops at launch but alot of the damage could have been reduced by just not hiring warhammer development team or actually giving them time to do the game.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

I stopped reading after this.

You're right. They looked dated now.

Why are people agreeing again?

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

9. SW:TOR is not a true MMORPG.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

11. Are you a Fanboi?

> Yes.

What MT store?

Can't recall whos interview it was but they did mention they are looking in to adding a microtransaction store as soon as the game archieved volume. (To be fair it was unsure if it was going towards the 'special edition shop' or an entirely difrent one but still. Changes are, if its going to be a special one everyone can have a change to upgrade their account since its a business model that will sell)

This being said looking at both lucas arts, and EA and their history of DLC its not really that far out freature. Specially considering the ammount of possibilities for said store from the lack of freatures: Races, mounts, laser crystals etc.

Actualy there are not even close to 10 top problems of TOR. You don't read forum then dude. Time to say that was your 10 problems you could easily cut down.

Sorry for my english, but I'm not native speaker. Otherwise we have to wait for future updates to see what really happen with this game and we will be able to judge game then.

But true is that TOR at this launch has sooo many bad designed features and bugs that you can't change it by creating threads like this.

How about this?

1. Bugs are everywhere.. flashpoints, warzones, world, pvp etc... look how often threads about them was created. Bosses you can't finish, crashes, lags, ability delays, stucks, errors.. and sooo many more. And don't say ******** about game is fresh and evey game has bugs at start. Maybe true, but not so many and not in so important aspects.

2. Lack of MMO aspects except quite good storyline. TOR is really nice single player game but that's all it provides at this moment.

3. PVP leads to nowhere. No point to do anything with this aspect cuz no real goals for that. You can grind that aspect but for what? Where are objectives in that was that has some matter? You grind PVP for only one reason.. for more gear to grinding only. And there is so many bad designed features in PVP that really hard to explain them all.

and many many more, but I don't have time to write about them all again after others did.

I think the only valid issues atm (not long-term things) are: [my own responses]

1) Ability response.

It seems this is intentional aesthetic fucntion - to ultimately please PvE and casuals as to not to show animations out of sync with actual hits

2) PvP and lack of

Again I think it's pretty obvious that Bioware doesn't want very much open world PvP. They want to succeed with their PvE and other original gameplay. Bad bad boys

3) UI customization

Also it's clear that Bioware want's to streamline EVERYONES experience into 1 standard interface, much like their previous games. This is the #1 reason this game *feels* so single player-ish and not MMO-ish.

Conclusion: Bioware doesn't not want a copycat MMO, but that is want a huge portion of players in fact want, and in fact have been led to believe SWTOR in fact is. Bioware want's to compete with other MMO's but will likely not stray from their own style of game feel. This conclusion sadly shows a catastrophic failure to be non-niche (eg WoW crowd) and will fail mostly because of this.

The second largest portion of players which will leave will be the PvP crowd. Ultimately not that many, but currently server are roughly 50/50 PvE and PvP servers. I do not see much complaint about lack of PvP on the actual servers (or at least mine), so I'm not sure if these players will continue to enjoy WF's as the primary (and only) source of PvP in the game. It could also happen that that huge portion of players (roughly 50%) will be as disgusted in the lack of world PvP and 'regular' features that they expect, and do not want to be FED Bioware's prefabbed game.

/cheers and gl Bioware

Just read the OP and without going further, wanted to say the following:

This is the most fanboiish, asinine post I've ever read. I finally found someone who is able to belittle legitimate critiques while at the same time responding in a non-responsive, condescending manner.

For all of you who prefer to sit in one place for an hour trying to assemble a group for a flashpoint, then I hope it works out for you... anyone with half a life doesn't have time to spend 75% of their gametime sitting around trying to LFG.

The beauty of World of Warcraft is that it is just as playable and fun for someone who can spend 1.5 hours per day in-game as it is for someone who can spend 12 hours per day. I hate to say it, but those 1.5 hours per day players vastly outnumber the no-lifers out there.

That said, this game has a lot of potential and I'll give it its 90-day evaluation but some of these issues are really bad, especially the faction imbalance problem and the lack of a dungeon finder and "battlegroup" serving for pvp and instances.

Although I do enjoy the game, there are some things that they could have done better.

1. The Auction House is very very clunky.

You cannot just go in and search for something specific. YOu have to choose whether it is a weapon or armor type etc etc. Just be alot easier to type in a search bar.

2. The PVP reward and other vendors.

The sort buttons do not work or if they do they don't sort by the characteristics that most people would sort by. For example, sort by level or even armor/weapon type. Instead you have to mouse over ever piece to find the one you want. One piece by level 42 req. then next will be 14 req.

3. I won't even bring up UI. =)

4. The spaceship missions.

I do enjoy them, but it would be nice if once you completed the mission that you automatically go back and be able to start another one. Sometimes I'm flying around doing nothing for 3 minutes doing nothing because I've already completed the mission objectives. 3 minutes doesn't seem like much, but after a few times that 3 minutes seems like an eternity lol.

There are quite a few little bugs I've noticed as well such as craft able items saying that I don't have the materials to craft it, but yet I do have them. The BH storyline bug that doesn't allow female BHs to complete unless you take your personal spacecraft to planet instead of taking a fleet transport to the planet. Little thing like that are annoying.

Not trying to flame but I would've thought with the hundreds of millions they put in this game, some of those "little" things would've been addressed. There is such a thing as constructive criticism. I really do enjoy playing the game as it is, but would enjoy it more with or without some of that stuff.

2. Linear storyline.

4. No dungeon finder.

6. No flying mounts.

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

1. I like the graphics I would have liked some DX11 features but overall it's gorgeous but the textures need to be fixed too many lowres textures. Since there are alot of closeups during dialogue its very noticable.

2. No complaints there really. I do wish decisions had bigger consequences atleast for story quests.

3. The worlds should be huge. I love Tatooine and Alderaan because of how big they are. I have yet to to travel to Hoth or the other higher level planets but when I think of Nar Shaddaa and Corascuant and how I should be getting lost I'm dissapointed to see all I find are hallways and rooms.

4. There should be AT LEAST a lfg channel that or a same server dungeon finder. Same server dungeon finder would not split the community like so many say. If anyone doesn't want that then please tell me why.

5. You can't be serious OP! Being able to choose my warzone should already be in the game. Nothing else to say about it.

6. I agree no flying mounts

7. I love the crafting system. Actually requiring time to craft or finding new schematics should take forever and not a few minutes like in WoW.

8. If people hate the voice acting, cutscnes or whatever find another damn MMO.

9. Again find another MMO then. A true one w/e.

10. It's one of the best launches I've experienced and not as buggy as other just launched MMOs.

Number 3- Iv played several mmos that didnt have boundrys including the previous star wars mmo.

Number 6- I don't give a damn about flying mounts but at what point can you fly your spaceship? Because i have not seen one yet.

ZOMG! A thread OP who actually gets it! Rest assured this party will eventually be crashed by self-annointed legends from other (read: not competing) games who crave copious amounts of attention. May they be discarded like vendor trash. Well met! :D
If only the nerf herders that come to the forum to complain would just read this first...
Fat chance ... they'd only diss the whole thing and ruin the mood. Edited by GalacticKegger

Lol at what point can you fly: Space mission.

Oh and btw, flying mounts in zones like in WoW actually kinda killed the world pvp (even if the battleground did most of the damage). Did you ever see Luke skywalker or anakin use a freakin space ship/A-fighter to get to a point to another?.. It was always a shuttle or they used their space ship to go from a planet to another. Get lost with this idea of ''flying mount'' it is just a dumb " we want to ride dragonzzz'' little boy dream.

Now.. a well designed ''rogue squadron'' space combat pvp or pve system would be A W E S O M E... or being able to move freely into solar system ala Eve. That would rock.

As for the ''exhaustion zones'' sorry but EvE as none.. you can go from solar system to solar system by only clicking into space (never did it myself but heard it was do-able and took **** load of time).

Anyway, OP you are a community hero lol screw those QQ post and keep the community alive.. the fixes... the content.... the new ''application'' like LFG system will surely be implemented.. all those crying babies want it cooked in their mouth. Bioware killed it, there are some thing i hate tho (like the not very user friendly AH that need to be like WoW lol xD but eh IM WAITING and WILL WAIT because it's BEEN 1 FREAKIN WEEK).

Endlessly bump this thread whoever is reading this we need threads like this to go upstairs and QQ threads to go downstairs to never again be heard of. Screw the QQERS im not a fanboy just a TRUE gamer that knows what the word ''PATIENCE'' mean.

TL;DR

QQers gonna QQ (Q.Q)

Real gamers are patient. (By patient i dont mean wait for 2 years lol 1 year should be enough, usually, to get some good things going on)

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

The fanboy is strong in you, young apprentice.

Thanks for the post. So you dont like the game as designed. That is your perogative. I do and that is mine. If you can live with it, move on and enjoy the game. If you cant, there are other MMORPGs.

I do know that MMORPG companies that pander to the qq of forum posters lose, not gain subscribers. I like to think of BW as a company that listens to the silent majority. If BW ever starts pandering to the "add x wow feature" crowd, the game will quickly diminish to another nice game with less than a million subscribers.

Yeah. Blizzard did ignore and still does, most of their playerbase. Everytime a patch is released some moron spews bile about how this is ruining the game and he will quit, waving his non-existent army of imaginary followers to fall in line and bring down the big blue evil guy. You know what? They do not care. Everytime there is a patch it is the same. So I'm right with you. This game need work, as does any other MMORPG out there. But if they start behaving like a leaf in the wind, they'll go under. We may not like each and every individual choice made by BW, but they are listening, they are testing, and they do improve.