Top 10 criticisms of SW:TOR with responses

Samaul

"fanbois" --> a derogatory term used to try and discredit someone who blindly defends a flawed game. In reality is someone who pays and plays a game that they enjoy.

"hater" --> a derogatory term used to describe and discredit someone who complains a game is horribly broken. In reality is someone who pays for a game they claim is horribly broken and unplayable and spend their time on the official forums shouting as much.

One of those groups is clearly insane.

Edited by AkulaX

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, problem is, most people who come to mmo's now are corrupted by WoW. So if it is not like WoW they hate it, if it is like WoW they hate it.

Thankfully i played korean mmo's to see the other side of the mmo coin, it is not pretty.

Yes, Aion was a big mistake.

1. Bad or cartoon-y looking graphics.

> Its called stylized graphics. SW:TOR's graphics are not designed to be photo-realistic so that they will not look dated in a year or two. If you want photo-realism, play BF3 (great game EA).

2. Linear storyline.

> SW:TOR is a story-line driven game. All MMORPGs with experienced-based character leveling are by nature linear to some extent. SW:TOR is unique in that at each step in the storyline, you can make decisions from multiple paths that will affect the destiny of your character.

3. No open world. I dont like exhaustion or boundaries.

> Its a big galaxy, did you expect to be able to ride a speeder from one planet to another? Exhaustion and boundaries are part of every MMORPG including WoW. No game world goes on forever.

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you.

6. No flying mounts.

> You have your own space ship, you can go anywhere in the galaxy in an instant. What more do you want?

7. Companion crafting and gathering.

> You have more than one of your own personal valet, bodygaurd, cyber-@#$ toy, servant or slave. Yes, you have to equip it and give it gifts. What more do you want?

8. SW:TOR is boring, cut scenes and voice acting are time consuming and a waste of time.

> Voice acting and cut scenes are a key part of the game. If you have MMORPG ADHD, try ritalin. If that doesnt work, SW:TOR is not the game for you. Group or social gameplay is strongly encouraged. If you dont play well with others, there are some parts of the game that you will not experience.

9. SW:TOR is not a true MMORPG.

> By whose standard? It may not be the MMORPG you are used to but SW:TOR is definitely an MMO-ROLE-PG. Take it from a role-player, SW:TOR is a role-players wet dream.

10. SW:TOR is buggy.

> More than 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars in development. Take it from a software developer, software development is an imperfect process. BioWare does it better than most. Given the size and scope of SW:TOR, the game is remarkably stable and bug free. If you find a bug, report it. Remember that THE LACK OF A FEATURE THAT YOU WANT IS NOT A BUG. BioWare's programmers are bug-stomping as you read this.

Very good post. I would vote you for president if i could. :)

You missed the main complaint.

The combat system is clunky, unintuitive, and awkward and in a related issue, your abilities don't activate fluidly in the way that they do in this game's biggest rival.

Character responsiveness is essential to any MMO and its just wrong in SWTOR at present. All the rest of the moaning is white noise. The ability delay/responsiveness problem will scare off half of the playerbase if they don't fix it very quickly indeed.

The combat system is clunky, unintuitive, and awkward and in a related issue, your abilities don't activate fluidly in the way that they do in this game's biggest rival.

Character responsiveness is essential to any MMO and its just wrong in SWTOR at present. All the rest of the moaning is white noise. The ability delay/responsiveness problem will scare off half of the playerbase if they don't fix it very quickly indeed.

You should read the ability delay thread more carefully. The problem is not that skills dont activate, its that their animations dont let you move before they finish. There are some issues with some skills that delay the cast but those are some cases.

The combat system is by no means broken, it launched based on a different premise than WoW's. Bioware can choose to make it closer to WoW's because it seems people are too used to it.

If you're gonna leave the game because of that, then /wave. Your loss...

Its a briodrone defending its product without any grounds for any of hes arguments, the moment you point out a single flaw in hes system it all falls apart. This comes down to basic oppinions without any sort of critical look at this game, and the most critisised things are not in this list at all.

The fact that the 'flying mounts' gets to this list is pritty much saying it all. I can list 10 main concernes flat out.

1. Low resolution textures disabled at launch, no ETA given.

2. Flat silence from developers about some of the freatures missing and bugs.

3. Gameplay, serious issues.

4. PVP system rewards are better then PVE. (Worls barely have ANY pvp content, thus pvp grinding comes to using alts and exploiting or waiting in que. Most servers are heavely in balanced in terms of factions)

5. PVE content too easy even without parsing tools (Current raid content cleared with minimal 50's, worrying in terms of development considering there are numberous loot bugs involved, content patch coming soon does not adress the dificulty curve)

6. No parsing tools. (And for the word "parsing tool" those who assume I mean damage meters, read "Combat log of any sort")

7. PR and customer support:

Banning of people without real reason or explonation behind it, you as a developer screwed up most of the time not the people.

Unneedless censorship, private conversations can get you a 24 hour ban EVEN if the person who was reading it does not report you.

Cannot cancell subscription when banned. This is flat out illegal and I shouldn't have to bother point out why.

8. Lack of immersion in worlds is very lacking.

9. Character customisation.

10. Darkside/lightside options as well as how the system is implemented in the game.

Notice how most people when you show them this list of critism and they do a bit of research will go "Oh. Wow really?"

Oh yeah about the PR: http://thedeadpc.blogspot.com/2012/01/maybe-youve-had-enough-of-bioware-hate.html

Edited by Sohtaraz

4. No dungeon finder.

> Type /who and hit enter. You can find people who are LFG and in the zone where you are questing or doing heroics. Dungeon finders, especially x-server destroy MMO communities and distort character progression by removing players from the flow of the game and rewarding bad behavior. Server communities are self policing, if you behave badly, you will be removed from your flashpoint or heroic group and likely remembered so be a team player and help your group.

[/i]

You are one strong swtor fanboy(every mmo has some, sadly). Dungeon finder breaks communities? You are one of those whose visions are clouded by ignorance and refuse to see things without favoring one side. I will try to make it simple and understandable for you. First that /who command you speak of is not that successful or convenient enough to use. Second, does spamming /1 channel for almost an hour to get group brings communities together or does getting into a group instantly and adding friends from there on brings communities together? The answer is very simple but I want to see if you can comprehend it. Seeing things without ignorance is very hard and very few can do it.

You should read the ability delay thread more carefully. The problem is not that skills dont activate, its that their animations dont let you move before they finish. There are some issues with some skills that delay the cast but those are some cases.

The combat system is by no means broken, it launched based on a different premise than WoW's. Bioware can choose to make it closer to WoW's because it seems people are too used to it.

If you're gonna leave the game because of that, then /wave. Your loss...

Ive read it very carefully indeed and contributed from the first pages, two maxed out threads ago. I didn't feel the need to go into detail on the intricacies of it here... why would I do that as it has its own thread?

The combat system is broken and it does suck when you do anything other than kill trash mobs while levelling. PVP is a clunky mess and PVE suffers greatly too.

Make no mistake about it, as the thread title says, this issue will define success or failure for this game. Where you there in the first months of WOW when literally hundreds of people were grouped up and fighting just for the sheer exhiliration of the excellent combat? I was, and you won't get anything like that in this game unless they pull off a miracle in the next two weeks.

I am hoping they do, but realistic.

Boundaries are part of the game. Boundaries are there by design. If you dont like the game, dont play it.

BioWares programmers are mediocre?

Prove it, start your own game development company and do it better. Put up or shut up:cool:

UI drops down selections.

Any OOP coder worth their pay would create a base class that handles remembering what the last choice is, handing that off to a settings file on exit and reading from it on start.

Every drop down would extend that class, and like magic, every drop down remembers what the last selection was. Really easy to do, not a lot of code, no brainier, but it wasn't done.

Edited by ObiQuixote

If they dramatically overhaul the UI, combat, add a decent space game and give the social folks a few extras...then they could possibly save the day.

But that aint gonna happen. They obviously gambled everything on cheezy cut-scenes and endless hours of boring voice-overs. They lost.

Unless there's some kind of miracle, in 6 months (or less) this game will be on life support.

The OP makes some good points. I like this post.

Of course there are bugs and some things need fixing (like the UI) but they already said they would. Just not everything will be fixed now.

So, I'm getting into the habit of reporting things in game. It's a useful system and it allows them to fix bugs. It's how it works.

I'm enjoying the game very much and just sad I have to go back to work tomorrow (woe is me lol).

At least you responded to something that was not the usual hyperbole and phony qq. I can attest to the fact that as someone who has experienced more than half of the content in SW:TOR, it is most of the QQ posts that are in fact lies and pure trolling. If I have told a lie, please cite it specifically.

You definitely did not mention any negative point. But you praise the good ones a lot. That is already enough to spin the wheel.

Besides. If I were a troll I could say you lied in calling pretty much all unique design decisions of SW:TOR one of the top 10 "problems" people complain about. They do not.

My number 1 problem for an instance is that the really messed up pre-launch ripped my player community into two factions. Those who hate queues and those who hate to restart. Now I can only play with half of the people I'd like to play with. Care to explain me, why this is so great?

My personal opinion is: The game is great, the service around it is miserable. So far, at least.

4. No dungeon finder.

5. No x-server warzone finder.

> Just click the Republic or Empire button and wait, you can queue with a group from your guild or server. See #4 for x-server issues and their effect on server communities. If you want a mindless, anonymous pvp grind, SW:TOR is not the game for you

Both good features that WoW either introduced or took from some other MMO (doesn't matter which). This whole destroyer of communities business is a bunch of crap.

The OP makes some good points. I like this post.

Of course there are bugs and some things need fixing (like the UI) but they already said they would. Just not everything will be fixed now.

So, I'm getting into the habit of reporting things in game. It's a useful system and it allows them to fix bugs. It's how it works.

I'm enjoying the game very much and just sad I have to go back to work tomorrow (woe is me lol).

Yea I have noticed the bugs get fixed in BW slightly faster the the bugs in WoW that never get fixed. Like a quest that is broken in WoW just never got fixed ever for 3 years in WoW. But have many postings in BW they fixed a quest. Maybe just lucky on that one.

you forgot the part where My character is using a move that I clicked 3 moves ago because the lag is so bad in PvP warzones

or the part where I use full auto and nothing comes out of my rifle

or the part where I harpoon someone and it doesn't do anything to them even with 0 resolve but they fly backward after I run up to them when I think my harpoon didn't work

Edited by Oldmaveric

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.