Game Update 7.4 "Chains in the Dark" Updates

JackieKo

15 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi again, 

Currently, we are tracking two issues:

• Freezing loading screen
  • Memory leak in certain parts of the game.

The team is asking for more information which I will detail below. I am asking for responses from only players who are impacted by these issues and can provide the answers we need in order to troubleshoot further.

For players who are experience the freezing screen issue: 

• Does your application become unresponsive and you crash or does the loading screen just sit there forever? 
  • Does using control + U twice close the loading screen and allow you to play the game?

For players who are experiencing a memory leak: 

• Does this happen for all your characters? 
    • If only specific ones, which characters? 
  • Does this happen on every server? 
    • If only specific ones, which server(s)? 

Again, if you are not a player experiencing the above issues, please give impacted players the space to provide the info we need. 

Thanks! 

Hi Jackie.

No, it does not crash and it's not unresponsive according to the task manager. The cog turns for a few seconds, then it stops and the loading screen just sits there forever. I've just tried the ctrl+U trick but it does not appear to be making any difference whatsoever.

14 minutes ago, Melaras said:

Hi Jackie.

No, it does not crash and it's not unresponsive according to the task manager. The cog turns for a few seconds, then it stops and the loading screen just sits there forever. I've just tried the ctrl+U trick but it does not appear to be making any difference whatsoever.

same it like that 

• Dev Post
14 minutes ago, Melaras said:

Hi Jackie.

Can you confirm exactly what screen you're referring to when you say "loading screen". Is it that you can't get past the 7.4 key art screen or after you select a character to get into the game? You can also provide an image either here or sending me a PM. 

@HanniShindeiru if you could also answer the above, that would be helpful as well. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, JackieKo said:

Can you confirm exactly what screen you're referring to when you say "loading screen". Is it that you can't get past the 7.4 key art screen or after you select a character to get into the game? You can also provide an image either here or sending me a PM.  

@JackieKo can't get past the 7.4 key art screen or starting screen to character selection or to server selection if character out of server.

10 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

@HanniShindeiru if you could also answer the above, that would be helpful as well. 

I open the launcher, write my password and click play. By the term initial loading screen I refer to the loading screen (yeah the one with the supposed art) one sees when they click play after writing their password on the launcher.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Hi again, 

The team is asking for more information which I will detail below. I am asking for responses from only players who are impacted by these issues and can provide the answers we need in order to troubleshoot further.

• Does your application become unresponsive and you crash or does the loading screen just sit there forever? 
  • Does using control + U twice close the loading screen and allow you to play the game?

Again, if you are not a player experiencing the above issues, please give impacted players the space to provide the info we need. 

Thanks! 

My household has multiple accounts one of which one is a perm sub and the others rotate a sub over time and they all are preferred at this time.  We have two computers: an old dog that plays the sub account and is working as intended.  The stronger computer which recently installed and played hogwarts legacies ok has failed to patch 7.4

For all my patch attempts, the patch hangs up not long after it starts and the status bar shows the pause icon then the words "Downloading 133.5 Mb remaining".  I have hit the pause and restart to no effect. I have cancelled it and started it over several times each day.  I am not willing to reset the failed patch PC to factory settings as it has real life work related software on it and also the hogwarts game on it.  I not willing to try patching on the sub account on the failed patch computer as I don't want to risk losing that as well.

The only behavior that seems odd to me is I was getting prompted for one-time passwords on each account that I did try to patch on.  This behavior happens to me on occassion when I leave a work related remote desktop connection open -- but I have confirmed that I have closed that and it does not make any difference.

User profile: I play all servers but other than that just a regular swtor player.  I am waiting for 7.4 to patch so I can finish GS5 and sub up an one preferred account to collect the Cartel Coins from Galactic Seasons.

Cntrl-U had no effect.

As the patch hangs... I can't see any characters or the character screen

I can't get to the server screen since the patch is hanging up...

I did create a brand new account with no characters to see if that would help but the patch hangs at the same spot.

Display names:

Sub = This account I'm posting on ... Reconij

Preferred accounts: Graygorij, ThirdXCharm, Fourthisall, FtpMe, FtpMeNow, StaarWarsSix, Fvier, FPentagon

The brand new account with no characters display name = gAdvsdfsdf

The account I want to sub up and finish galactic seasons on and collect cartel coins is display name Graygorij which is my founder account.

Apologies in advance if I rambled on to much...

Thanks for trying to help us out...

Still experiencing catastrophic memory leaks. Happens every PvP match, all characters, SF server. Runs fine for about 3 minutes, then stutters/freezes, then crashes. Computer fans run full speed for about 3 minutes after crash. Intel i7 (2023), RTX 4070. Never had a problem with this game crashing in 10 years until this update. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, klizilii said:

Is there a place for collecting feedback about the new GTN system anymore? 

The DEV  in charge of it  still  follows/posts  in his original  "feedback" thread here: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/931783-74-gtn-preview-live-on-pts/?do=findComment&comment=9788705

28 minutes ago, klizilii said:

Seems pointless to throw things in the void that is the suggestions forum.

Totally agree and  imho  i really wish BioSword  would eradicate that ^ ridiculous pandering section in favor of  bringing back the old  *Community Support*  section, so players  wouldn't have to clutter up  the all important BUG REPORTS section for their own personal  TECH troubleshooting problems.  ( i'm guessing  EA won't allow this though, cuz they're afraid people wouldn't goto their separate EA version? )

Edited by Nee-Elder

• Dev Post
2 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi again, 

Thanks! 

Following up on the freezing loading screen issue. For any players who have NOT sent in the following log files to support, we are asking you to supply them if possible. 

These logs are typically stored on the following paths, but you'll find them wherever you installed the game. Please send the following log files to support@swtor.com. Be sure to include your account name and confirm if you are using the SWTOR launcher or Steam. 

If you use the SWTOR launcher:

• Patcher log - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • Client log- C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

If you use Steam:

• Patcher log - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • Client log- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

Thanks!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

well really can't do that now ..i deleted the game and im not wasting my time reloading unless i know the damn game works again ( it takes hours on friggin comcast ) .i have deleted reloaded the damn thing 10x in the past 3 days ,i have tried Steam and loading it from there , i have debugged,i have tried every idea people put forth here and still nothing

Btw the first try after the " upgrade " would not shutdown it froze my entire system..

3 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Thanks! 

Just woke up here in Australia, still in bed. I’ll need a few hours before I can test this for you. I’ll have to setup an error log file today to run in the back ground as tabbing back to my task manager was locking up my PC & crashing the game.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

3 hours ago, Jursy said:

Question:  will a memory leak cause a BSOD with a page file error on windows 11?  If so, It happened to me this morning.  I was actively playing on the Leviathan from about 8:30 PM till about 3:30 AM (ET).  Took my Assassin through the Black Talon (story), all the Dromund Kaas heroics and the exploration missions up to the class check in.  I then pulled out my Jedi Knight and ran him through the Esseles (story), all the Coruscant Heroics, checked in with class mission and grabbed the two exploration missions and then parked him at the Dealer's Den.  Then I pulled out my Juggernaut and ran the Profit and Plunder chapter where I got the BSOD on the final boss.

Running Asus Rog Strix z-690 E, GeForce GTX 1070 Ti,  48G Ram,  i5 12600K

It can. But that’s just cause and affect and it could be anything, including stuff not related to swtor.

The easiest way to track a memory leak is to have your windows task window open so you can see what your individual programs & services are doing with resources. You can also run a Windows performance file while using your PC.

If you’re semi computer literate, you can try following these instructions to setup a data file to log what is happening. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-performance-monitor-windows-10

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Dev Post

Following up on the freezing loading screen issue. For any players who have NOT sent in the following log files to support, we are asking you to supply them if possible. 

These logs are typically stored on the following paths, but you'll find them wherever you installed the game. Please send the following log files to support@swtor.com. Be sure to include your account name and confirm if you are using the SWTOR launcher or Steam. 

• Patcher log - C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • Client log- C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

If you use Steam:

• Patcher log - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\logs
  • Client log- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor\retailclient\swtor\logs

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Follow up from the team regarding the freezing screen issue. We're still investigating and would love to know the following:
If the game is NOT currently running, please go to the following locations:

• C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\DiskCacheStatic
  • C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\DiskCacheStream

Please answer the following:

• Do you see these files?
  • Are they read-only?
  • When you delete the files (it's safe to do so!), what happens when you run the game? Does deleting these files change what happens when you run the game?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you use Steam:

Thanks!

If you use Steam:

Thanks!

@JackieKo will send it to EA support 

5 hours ago, JackieKo said:

Hi Jackie, can you please ask the tech guys, what’s the normal to upper range for the amount of memory swtor.exe should be using? That way I can compare my wife’s PC to my PC. 

OK, I figured it out.

As mentioned in previous posts, I was running the game in very high graphics. Apparently with 7.4 the graphics are more demanding ergo my laptop cannot run the game with the pre 7.4 settings and the initial loading screen freezes.

When I deleted the client settings file (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings) all the settings defaulted and I was able to login. Then I experimented a little and apparently if I set the graphics quality to very high again and try to relog it's back to the initial loading screen freeze.

Therefore I deleted the file, managed to login once more, changed the graphics to high and now the game works.

Edited by Melaras
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, Melaras said:

OK, I figured it out.

As mentioned in previous posts, I was running the game in very high graphics. Apparently with 7.4 the graphics are more demanding ergo my laptop cannot run the game with the pre 7.4 settings and the initial loading screen freezes.

When I deleted the client settings file (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings) all the settings defaulted and I was able to login. Then I experimented a little and apparently if I set the graphics quality to very high again and try to relog it's back to the initial loading screen freeze.

Therefore I deleted the file, managed to login once more, changed the graphics to high and now the game works.

still freezed for me , not even working when delete all settings so i restored the deleted files again lol

25 minutes ago, Melaras said:

OK, I figured it out.

Awesome congrats!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Melaras said:

OK, I figured it out.

When I deleted the client settings file (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings) all the settings defaulted and I was able to login. Then I experimented a little and apparently if I set the graphics quality to very high again it's back to the initial loading screen freeze.

Melaras ... THANK YOU!!!

When I read your post, I was skeptical that lowering the graphics settings would do any good.

Up until now, I had been thinking that the freezing issue had to be something specific to my ShadowyKai account, because there were two other SW:TOR accounts that could log in just fine on this computer. I thought that if it was the graphics that was the problem, then the application would freeze up on all of the SW:TOR accounts, not just mine alone.

But with no better ideas, I gave it a try. In the case of our computer, we didn't need to delete any files. We just used one of the other two accounts to get into the game and lower the graphics settings. And it worked! Now, I can log in to my ShadowyKai account again. Thank you!

Also, I mentioned earlier that the other two accounts were having freezing issues when trying to log into Jedi Knight characters on Tython. That freezing issue was fixed with this, too.

Finally, your advice actually resolved something that had been bugging me for the past three years. In another post, I said that I had a very old SW:TOR account, one that I played with when the game first launched in 2011. In early 2021, I tried to log back in to it, but it kept freezing up every time I tried to log in to it.

After I got my ShadowyKai account working again, I wondered if this same solution would work with that old account.

When I brought up that old account and tried launching it, I was thinking :

"This cannot possibly work ... There is no way ... When I tried to get this account running three years ago, I tried everything I could think of. I tried everything that anybody suggested to me. There is no way it could be something as simple as lowering the graphics settings. It can't - WHOA!"

So I finally got that old account back. Thanks! :)

You know, I still think the problem might have something to do with the number of characters on a Legacy.

With ShadowyKai, I was able to log in to Satele Shan, Darth Malgus, The Leviathan, and Tulak Hord, but it froze up when I tried to log in to Star Forge, and my Legacy on Star Forge has the most characters.

With that old account, I was able to log in to Darth Malgus, which was under the character limit, but it froze up when I tried to log in to Star Forge, which was overloaded with over 100 characters.

But I'm grateful that my problem has been resolved, and I hope they figure out a solution for everyone else's. Good luck, folks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ShadowyKai said:

Melaras ... THANK YOU!!!

When I read your post, I was skeptical that lowering the graphics settings would do any good.

Up until now, I had been thinking that the freezing issue had to be something specific to my ShadowyKai account, because there were two other SW:TOR accounts that could log in just fine on this computer. I thought that if it was the graphics that was the problem, then the application would freeze up on all of the SW:TOR accounts, not just mine alone.

But with no better ideas, I gave it a try. In the case of our computer, we didn't need to delete any files. We just used one of the other two accounts to get into the game and lower the graphics settings. And it worked! Now, I can log in to my ShadowyKai account again. Thank you!

Also, I mentioned earlier that the other two accounts were having freezing issues when trying to log into Jedi Knight characters on Tython. That freezing issue was fixed with this, too.

Finally, your advice actually resolved something that had been bugging me for the past three years. In another post, I said that I had a very old SW:TOR account, one that I played with when the game first launched in 2011. In early 2021, I tried to log back in to it, but it kept freezing up every time I tried to log in to it.

After I got my ShadowyKai account working again, I wondered if this same solution would work with that old account.

When I brought up that old account and tried launching it, I was thinking :

"This cannot possibly work ... There is no way ... When I tried to get this account running three years ago, I tried everything I could think of. I tried everything that anybody suggested to me. There is no way it could be something as simple as lowering the graphics settings. It can't - WHOA!"

So I finally got that old account back. Thanks! :)

You know, I still think the problem might have something to do with the number of characters on a Legacy.

With ShadowyKai, I was able to log in to Satele Shan, Darth Malgus, The Leviathan, and Tulak Hord, but it froze up when I tried to log in to Star Forge, and my Legacy on Star Forge has the most characters.

With that old account, I was able to log in to Darth Malgus, which was under the character limit, but it froze up when I tried to log in to Star Forge, which was overloaded with over 100 characters.

But I'm grateful that my problem has been resolved, and I hope they figure out a solution for everyone else's. Good luck, folks!

ShadowKai, so glad to hear this!

Melaras, thanks so much for sharing a real fix!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Melaras said:

OK, I figured it out.

may i know what settings did you put on client_settings.ini? , it doesn't fixed my freezed on startup loading on first screen to the character selection or server selection , i can hear the background ambient sound then it gone and freezed.

1 minute ago, HanniShindeiru said:

may i know what settings did you put on client_settings.ini? , it doesn't fixed my freezed on startup loading on first screen to the character selection or server selection , i can hear the background ambient sound then it gone and freezed.

You need to delete the file & it will create a new one be default. Or if you want to be on the safe side. Just rename the file & it should do the same thing.

• Like 1